HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
From this statement and your experience of Walkera management, when will I be in trouble finding all spare parts for my V200D01 ?
Based on the number of rebadged versions and other models using the same components, I'd say they made a lot of them and had a hard time selling them. They are even trying to sell a version of the 180 without a body (http://www.xheli.com/exceedheli-wk2403-rtf.html). I'd say you are good for at least a year.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:46 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Based on the number of rebadged versions and other models using the same components, I'd say they made a lot of them and had a hard time selling them. They are even trying to sell a version of the 180 without a body (http://www.xheli.com/exceedheli-wk2403-rtf.html). I'd say you are good for at least a year.
What kind of a brain can imagine something ugly like that
fauconnier is online now Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:54 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
Wow. I find that almost irresistible. I wonder if me Devo 10 would fly it.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:56 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Only thing I like about that is the BL tail motor...
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:58 PM
Spain, Valencian Community, Burriana
Joined Mar 2012
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Nicely done!
thanks so much, no money yes brain...: D
Geso is offline Find More Posts by Geso
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:33 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,666 Posts
BL conversion

Hi Guys

wanting to make sure I have everything I need, including the knowledge, when my BL motor arrives, so it's time to ask some questions. First the wiring.

If I've understood everything right, the + and - wires of the esc get soldered to the underside of the pcb below where the battery connector is attached. Since I'll be running this through a 15A switch I don't need any connectors here, as the + wire will be soldered directly to the switch terminals. Right so far? Do I have to run the - wire through the switch too, or can I leave it going directly from the esc to the pcb?

The 3 esc wires in the middle get plugged into the free servo port on the pcb. Is there already a connector on them? If not, can I use the connector off a duff servo? What actually is the function of these wires, i.e. what info does it get from or send to the pcb?

The three wires from the other end of the esc are then connected to the motor and, depending on how they are connected, determine the direction the motor rotates. What kind of connectors do you recommend for this?

I have seen that zdawg has used a 2nd switch for the receiver and tail motor. I don't see a problem with the tail motor, but the receiver? TBH I'm not even sure I know exactly what the receiver is. I thought it was actually one of the components on the pcb. If so, how do I run it through a switch? If not, could somebody please put me straight on what (and where) it actually is?

Now the wiring's out of the way I have one more question. Do I need to upgrade the blades or battery (or anything else for that matter) for the BL main motor conversion, or can I leave the rest of it stock?

Sorry about the book, but I really am a complete noob at this stuff and don't want to cock anything up due to inexperience. Apart from that I'd like to actually understand what I'm doing instead of just learning it parrot-fashion .

Thanks guys
Fin

Edit 1: had a closer look at the ESC and saw that the servo plug is on it
Edit 2: read zdawg's post again, only need the + wire going through the switch. Have also boned up on cable connectors, think I'll just use banana plugs or similar.

Now I think the only info I'm after is about the 2nd switch (tail motor and receiver) and whether I can keep the blades and battery stock
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiggertoo1962; Feb 10, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Once again, my F45 will spend the night in the ER... LOL

Tuff little rascal though! My first flight this morning was uneventful, aside from losing sight of the heli because I was a bit too brave and climbed vertically until I lost it... I cut the throttle to 20%, just to keep the blades turning and she drifted into sight after what felt like forever. Straight up, and then straight back down. Of course it didn't go THAT high, but the mid-morning sun was killing me! Then I tested the "dead Tx" a couple times, and both ended in a slow power down of the heli after only a few seconds. I hope that's what they do when they go out of range.

Then came this afternoon. With a gut full of confidence, I decided I could handle large, high figure 8s. I actually did well for a few circuits (ugly as they were), when all of a sudden a huge 3mph headwind decided to teach me all about transitional lift on an aircraft equipped with a semi-functional HH gyro. Before I could do anything the F45 was at 80 feet up drifting HARD towards main street. No amount of cyclic would stop it, and adding power just made it climb higher. In the back of my mind I heard a crusty old flight instructor tell me how flying a helicopter out of trim just ate up main rotor efficiency, so I kicked the tail 90 degrees. The drift continued, but the F45 at least began to descend. I added power and turned the nose down, and it jumped forward like it had been shot. For one tiny second, I felt the awesome feeling of accomplishment that only a pilot can experience when he realizes he's just saved his aircraft from certain doom, and then...

Have you ever seen what happens when these little helis strike the ground in a full power dive from 80 feet? No bounce, nothing. Just a THUD with a few strewn parts because you're showing off... It's gonna be a long night .

Shattered canopy, bent tail boom, bent supports, and a BRAND NEW set of broken skids. And I still flew it home!!!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:02 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post

Tuff little rascal though! My first flight this morning was uneventful, aside from losing sight of the heli because I was a bit too brave and climbed vertically until I lost it... I cut the throttle to 20%, just to keep the blades turning and she drifted into sight after what felt like forever. Straight up, and then straight back down. Of course it didn't go THAT high, but the mid-morning sun was killing me! Then I tested the "dead Tx" a couple times, and both ended in a slow power down of the heli after only a few seconds. I hope that's what they do when they go out of range.

Then came this afternoon. With a gut full of confidence, I decided I could handle large, high figure 8s. I actually did well for a few circuits (ugly as they were), when all of a sudden a huge 3mph headwind decided to teach me all about transitional lift on an aircraft equipped with a semi-functional HH gyro. Before I could do anything the F45 was at 80 feet up drifting HARD towards main street. No amount of cyclic would stop it, and adding power just made it climb higher. In the back of my mind I heard a crusty old flight instructor tell me how flying a helicopter out of trim just ate up main rotor efficiency, so I kicked the tail 90 degrees. The drift continued, but the F45 at least began to descend. I added power and turned the nose down, and it jumped forward like it had been shot. For one tiny second, I felt the awesome feeling of accomplishment that only a pilot can experience when he realizes he's just saved his aircraft from certain doom, and then...

Have you ever seen what happens when these little helis strike the ground in a full power dive from 80 feet? No bounce, nothing. Just a THUD with a few strewn parts because you're showing off... It's gonna be a long night .

Shattered canopy, bent tail boom, bent supports, and a BRAND NEW set of broken skids. And I still flew it home!!!
LOL, love it!!

Sounds similar to what happened when I lost mine the other day. Just kept on climbing and wouldn't come back. Wish I'd had a crusty old flight instructor metaphorically shouting in my ear. Even a power dive from that height would have been preferable to a (suspected) swim .

Glad you got it back anyway kpinnc. Didn't happen to have a video camera on board, did you? Thanks for the descriptive commentary. Think I'll read it through a few times over the next couple of days and try to commit it to memory. Maybe just come in useful one of these days... . BTW did you kick the tail 90 INTO the wind?

Fin
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:23 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post

The first commandment of my Rc helicopter bible is: Always fly the wind in the face unless you are 100% in control.

If you get confused, if the heli decide to act is own way, just wait , the wind will bring it back to you. My real problem is when the wind and the sun face me
fauconnier is online now Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Feb 2013
9 Posts
Hey Guys,
Some footage of my highest flight over the house and trees with the 4002 camera
One shows what happens when you get caught to high to see which ways its facing and the wind takes control...ouch it survived though...tough chopper
select 480p as the res for the vids

Shamblesaerial.mp4 (1 min 0 sec)

What goes up (1 min 29 sec)
gadgit7 is offline Find More Posts by gadgit7
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:37 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
What kind of a brain can imagine something ugly like that
The previous version looked like this: http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Produc...7291104119.jpg

But people got wise and didn't buy it.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:20 PM
Heli nut case
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
I always use cool 450 size canopies, they are the best ! Fiberglass and auto quality paint jobs, just make slots for servo arms and main gears and bobs your uncle !
robertallenwalto is offline Find More Posts by robertallenwalto
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Quote:
Didn't happen to have a video camera on board, did you?
Nah Tigger, and that is the one thing I've been struggling over. There are soooo many cool ones out there that I can't seem to make up my mind.

And yes, I kicked the tail into the wind. It really sucks the life from the main rotor when the airframe's out of trim. The tail was facing me before I did it, so it put the side view of the heli towards me. No matter what you set the rudder at, apparently it will use 100% to try and hold a heading.

There is a big part of me that wants to try out a 450 CP. I know what to do (I flew the real thing for years), but I keep getting into trouble when I can't recover because the heli is so underpowered. As we ALL know here, the F45 does not deal with wind at all. If I had a little more power, I could drag her back into control. I hope the BL conversion adds a bit more punch to this helicopter.

Quote:
The first commandment of my Rc helicopter bible is: Always fly the wind in the face unless you are 100% in control.
A fantastic method to keep in mind. Obviously spoken from experience! Given how seldom I seem to be in control, I should just do it all the time. LOL

Quote:
Some footage of my highest flight over the house and trees with the 4002 camera
Gadjit, you have some serious stones! I thought the spot I fly in was too small, but you have to REALLY keep it tight! Great videos!
Last edited by kpinnc; Feb 09, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Gadjit, you have some serious stones! I thought the spot I fly in was too small, but you have to REALLY keep it tight! Great videos!
Thanks Yep..its a little...er....squeezy and over the trees the wind is diferent from low level, makes flying entertaining.
The small space is why i'm on helis and not planes And its not that small..got heaps of room vertically!!
Got a 808 #16 hd cam coming
Anyone know if that 808 can take stills so you just hit start and it takes one evry few seconds?
I love this heli..going to try and make my liebao Airwolf shell fit it..they are exactly the same length. Will need some vent holes but should be able to make it work
gaz
gadgit7 is offline Find More Posts by gadgit7
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined Mar 2009
131 Posts
Slow Boat To China

Hows everyone here doing? I got a new inner shaft as they call it, other was broken, performed the paper clip mod, found bolt in it was sheared, balanced everything, put back together, re-leveled swashplate with hair forward lean, did a handheld run up check, and everything was kosher, so I did a hands off hover in the garage for a minute, and am glad its all good. I did see the cyclic cancellation of about half though when full rudder applied, even set at 50%. Now, whats with the Chinese Lunar Holiday? I ordered the Hobby King EH200, Turnigy 18amp ESC, Turnigy Nano 2000mah battery and 10t pinion January 17th.Thats well before the holiday began. Whoever has done this conversion using only one battery, and a single switch to ESC Power and was successful, please show some pictures of your install. I think it should be easy, but setting the endpoints seems to be of concern. I just do not want any electronic mistakes that are disasterous. So, I'm contemplating a 250 build ccpm, TT, FBL, and just save these parts for it, that is if I ever get them off of the SLOW BOAT FROM CHINA.
Also, I had previosly asked if anyone has been able to decide which main blades are the best overall flight characteristics on the F-45, because I'm sick of trying to fly with absolutely no wind. I mean it does wonders in the total calm, but mine has no forward authority against 5mph breeze, and if you screw up and go higher, you too will be a heli chasing pilot rather than a heli flying pilot. But in the mean time, she fixed again, hovering hands off awaiting a break in the wind. Oh yeah, I got the shaft in 4 days from rcroanoke. My F-45 still flew with one side hoop for dogbones broken all the way off. I guess the other held it good enough too fly so I did because I am over waiting. Heres a picture from a few weeks back. Happy Mardi Gras, off to New Orleans for some Bourbon action.
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli