HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Crap! Is that required with the EH200 mod? I'm using a 2S 1800 mAh battery.
No, you are fine. The F45 was not made to run on 3s, so bad things happen when you plug the power to the PCB.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Mar 2009
131 Posts
Just got back from the field for a flight with very little wind. During FFF into a right turn, I had to pull cyclic all the way back with full throttle to attempt to miss the swingset, and BLAM, I smoked the top. only damage was a cracked canopy and a broken tip of the right skid. Picked it up, straighten flybar and flew with no vibrations the rest of the battery. Oh, it was doing 30mph. WOW, what a tough little bird. I ordered the EH200, 18amp EST, and 10T pinion. I was under the impression that I can power everything from the Turnigy Nano Tech 2000mah battery that I also ordered all from Hobby King 2 weeks ago. I will need some help then guys. For now, I'm flyin this F45 to death. Thanks, ScottHeli
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:43 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
484 Posts
Quote:
Just got back from the field for a flight with very little wind. During FFF into a right turn, I had to pull cyclic all the way back with full throttle to attempt to miss the swingset, and BLAM, I smoked the top. only damage was a cracked canopy and a broken tip of the right skid. Picked it up, straighten flybar and flew with no vibrations the rest of the battery. Oh, it was doing 30mph. WOW, what a tough little bird. I ordered the EH200, 18amp EST, and 10T pinion. I was under the impression that I can power everything from the Turnigy Nano Tech 2000mah battery that I also ordered all from Hobby King 2 weeks ago. I will need some help then guys. For now, I'm flyin this F45 to death. Thanks, ScottHeli
Coolest RC heli on earth! I fear these F45s are just ruining us for later when we move up to more complex machines...

Quote:
No, you are fine. The F45 was not made to run on 3s, so bad things happen when you plug the power to the PCB.
Whew! I was about to get upset with myself for not paying attention- Then I realized I haven't been paying attention LOL.

Thanks for squaring me away!
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
what brushless motor and esu is best mjx f45
patrat01 is offline Find More Posts by patrat01
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrat01 View Post
See the post above yours.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Sorry, missed your question in my earlier reply to this post.
If you have the old style PCB (vertical gyro)

Example Ali Ex kit (there are other suppliers)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...703574284.html

Many pictures of the much simpler Hobbyking conversion posted earlier in this thread.

Good luck
John
Thats the kid I used and love it. Simple install and quick. Only took me about 1.5hrs to finish it all up. Flys so much better now.
imper is offline Find More Posts by imper
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Sorry I couldn't help myself. Anyway, it is going to depend on if you have the new or old version receiver in you bird. The way to tell is if your Tx has red writing in the upper corners, or your PCB hs the gyro standing up or laying flat. The old version will be best with the EH200 motor and Turnigy 18A SC from Hobby King and the newer version seem s to work best with a conversion kit that is available from other online stores like Alix Express or Banggood I believe. BTW welcome aboard!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:38 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Hi Guys.

My iMAX B6 has arrived but before I cock anything up I'd rather ask your advice - better safe than skint cos you had to buy a new charger/rebuild the house etc,etc...

Does anybody know if the stock batteries are in fact LiPos or something else?. I remember reading that there were suspicions that they weren't, but haven't found a definitive answer yet

If anybody cares to tell me what amperage I can charge the stocks at I'd appreciate it.

Meantime I'll have a read at the instructions and see how much I understand.

More questions to follow
Fin
Hi Fin,

The stock battery is a Li-Lion not a Li-Po but it is fine to charge them as a Li-Po at the C rating.

For all of you out there if your battery pack is not flat packs laid on top of each other like this then they are a Li-Lion and look like this.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:20 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Hi Fin,

The stock battery is a Li-Lion not a Li-Po but it is fine to charge them as a Li-Po at the C rating.

For all of you out there if your battery pack is not flat packs laid on top of each other like this then they are a Li-Lion and look like this.
Thanks Eugene. Glad you said that cos I got impatient yesterday and charged them all up at 1.5A before I went to work last night . The instructions say that Li-ion batteries are only 3.6V per cell with a max charge of 4.1V as opposed to 3.7V & 4.2V for LiPos. That's not going to cause a problem then, or would I be better advised to take the 0.1V drop in future?

Surprised about how few questions I have about the charger operation, but the flow chart and instructions are surprisingly clear... even I could understand them . One question I do have though...

According to the instructions the charger can also be used for, amongst others, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd batteries. Does this just mean battery PACKS or is there some way to hook it up to standard AA size rechargeables? I just don't see how that'd be possible with the connectors supplied, but maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time .

Cheers
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:34 AM
Südpfalz / Germany
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
[QUOTE
The order of the motor cables is normal? For Example. A = First wire, B = C = According wire and third wire?

I can really appreciate the help! Hugs![/QUOTE]

Have a look at my picture. This works fine.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...9-SAM_0502.jpg
Werner_x is offline Find More Posts by Werner_x
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:28 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrat01 View Post
See post 6406.
Good luck!
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:31 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner_x View Post
[QUOTE
The order of the motor cables is normal? For Example. A = First wire, B = C = According wire and third wire?

I can really appreciate the help! Hugs!

If I understand the question -
You can connect any wire of the ESC output to ANY wire of the motor. It's a 3 phase supply, all outputs are identical - except for 120 deg phase difference.
If the motor runs in the wrong direction for your purposes, just reverse any two wires.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:21 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Not sure how I missed this. I just ordered everything last week for the main rotor brushless conversion, and my F45 is the new version. Is this the issue that requires powering the ESC after the helicopter binds with the Tx? Can I not just do this with a microswitch?
On my v1 F45 I power the PCB, bind and confirm by moving the ailerons and elevators, then plug in the ESC. It's really no big deal.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:03 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
484 Posts
I went with the EH200, because it's far cheaper than the kit, but allows it to be modular (motor/ESC) in the event of a failure. I guess it's a good thing, because if any part of the "kit" fails, spare parts will only be available in a second $50 kit.

I will put an ample toggle switch on the ESC power. That way I won't have any unexpected spin-ups powering down the heli or Tx. I assume the capacitors in the ESC discharge when power is removed, giving the little "spin" I've read about.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:03 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
One question I do have though...

According to the instructions the charger can also be used for, amongst others, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd batteries. Does this just mean battery PACKS or is there some way to hook it up to standard AA size rechargeables? I just don't see how that'd be possible with the connectors supplied, but maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time .

Cheers
Fin
Yes you can charge a whole pack (x batteries in serie), I do it with the battery pack of my Devo Tx without problem.
The charge stops automaticaly when the voltage during charge of the NiCd or NiMH begins to drop. (At the end of charge, these accus become warm >> the voltage decreases a little, and the charger detects this)
Take a close look on your NiCD or NiMH batteries, there is often a maximal charge current not to exceed, wich can be less then 1C.

Regards to the other side of the Rhein

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67