HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:48 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firadhom View Post
Sir,

May i know what brand/model of brushless motor you used to replace main and tail f45 motor?

I like to upgrade my F45, but really really need your advice.

thank you.
Sorry, missed your question in my earlier reply to this post.
If you have the old style PCB (vertical gyro)

For the main motor:
motor - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11881
pinion - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11198
ESC - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2168

If you have the new style (flat) gyro, might pay to consider kits (on Ali Express) - the above parts do work also, but require special considerations when binding/powering ESC.

Example Ali Ex kit (there are other suppliers)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...703574284.html

Many pictures of the much simpler Hobbyking conversion posted earlier in this thread.

Good luck
John
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:02 AM
Eugene
Whizgig's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Rexless -

Sadly, my recovery ideas (and all R/c) have been on hold since the recent cyclone we had down the East coast here: extensive flooding - along with wind damage - and power outages. Bit of damage to the workshop (but nothing compared to the 1000 or so whose homes were lost), and a heck of a lot of failed client PCs to repair.
But nearly back on top of things now.
I think Bob said he was going to try the radio locator, maybe he has the bits by now. Either way, will try to get back to heli R&D asap.
Regards

Firadhom -
The BL main is an easy mod (the 'BL main motor converter' is on the stock PCA), BL tail not so much.
Was doing a fair bit of work on this, but - though I've got a full BL conversion that flies reasonably, just not as good as brushed yet. Still a work in progress too.

Whizgig -
Congrats on the hobby room! - it'll make all the difference in the world. An escape den, too!
Also congratulations on missing our floods - see the mess in Bundaberg? Poor folks there.
Cheers
John
Thanks John,
Yes it was a bad one we did get a bit of the tail end down our way but luckily we just got allot of rain and coldness.
I hope things can get fixed for them soon the SES is very good at what they do.
I have just finished putting in the desks and the draws and shelves no it's time to fill them up.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:04 AM
Eugene
Whizgig's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Same for me, my daughter moved one year ago, but my wife wanted to fill her room with lots of things (she's painting, and her equipment and finished pictures take lots of place), so I had to fight hard to have also a little place for my heli stuff !

But then you will longer not have the fun of tissues flying all around and making your wife happy !

Roland
Yes how can I forget that one.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:08 AM
Eugene
Whizgig's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Same for me, my daughter moved one year ago, but my wife wanted to fill her room with lots of things (she's painting, and her equipment and finished pictures take lots of place), so I had to fight hard to have also a little place for my heli stuff !

But then you will longer not have the fun of tissues flying all around and making your wife happy !

Roland
Yep when my oldest moved out the wife pinched her room for her photography and her guitars etc, she has about 20 of them there wasn't even enough room for my bases to go in there. but they will fit in my new R/C room, I hope.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:11 AM
Eugene
Whizgig's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post


See Eugene, dreams really CAN come true

I'm still dreaming, but then again, I'm only 50 and I started late

At least my 14-year-old has a boyfriend, but I think my 13-year-old is too much like me... she's gonna fight the urge to grow up as long as humanly possible
Lol mine were the same they just wouldn't take the hints to just go away.

I will miss them though, well sort of.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:17 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
Quote:
If you have the new style (flat) gyro, might pay to consider kits (on Ali Express) - the above parts do work also, but require special considerations when binding/powering ESC.
Not sure how I missed this. I just ordered everything last week for the main rotor brushless conversion, and my F45 is the new version.

Is this the issue that requires powering the ESC after the helicopter binds with the Tx? Can I not just do this with a microswitch?
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:24 AM
Scotsman in Germany
tiggertoo1962's Avatar
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,733 Posts
advice on charging stock batteries

Hi Guys.

My iMAX B6 has arrived but before I cock anything up I'd rather ask your advice - better safe than skint cos you had to buy a new charger/rebuild the house etc,etc...

Does anybody know if the stock batteries are in fact LiPos or something else?. I remember reading that there were suspicions that they weren't, but haven't found a definitive answer yet

If anybody cares to tell me what amperage I can charge the stocks at I'd appreciate it.

Meantime I'll have a read at the instructions and see how much I understand.

More questions to follow
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:25 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Not sure how I missed this. I just ordered everything last week for the main rotor brushless conversion, and my F45 is the new version.

Is this the issue that requires powering the ESC after the helicopter binds with the Tx? Can I not just do this with a microswitch?
As I understand it, yes: however, the ESC is supplying the full motor current draw, so a microswitch might not cut it. Heavier switch should be OK. I use a Hard Disk m/f power connector (one pin only) works fine.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:31 AM
Scotsman in Germany
tiggertoo1962's Avatar
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Not sure how I missed this. I just ordered everything last week for the main rotor brushless conversion, and my F45 is the new version.

Is this the issue that requires powering the ESC after the helicopter binds with the Tx? Can I not just do this with a microswitch?
Yup, had exactly the same problem. Have a look at post #6153 from zdawg (page 411). If you need more info just work your way back from there with the "view post" arrow

Cheers
Fin

Just saw John's answer. Maybe you'd better check with zdawg just to be sure. I'm still waiting for the motor & esc so haven't actually done the conversion yet.
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiggertoo1962; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:34 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Hi Guys.

My iMAX B6 has arrived but before I cock anything up I'd rather ask your advice - better safe than skint cos you had to buy a new charger/rebuild the house etc,etc...

Does anybody know if the stock batteries are in fact LiPos or something else?. I remember reading that there were suspicions that they weren't, but haven't found a definitive answer yet

If anybody cares to tell me what amperage I can charge the stocks at I'd appreciate it.

Meantime I'll have a read at the instructions and see how much I understand.

More questions to follow
Fin
1.5 amps. Don't know about the stock battery as I never used it after getting a couple of 1800mah lipos.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! this forum is awesome & u guys are great. arrowshooter some times that throttle can get us into trouble! ... @ Fin i tested my vented canopy yesterday, it is fairly cooler here about 55 degrees.. after a full stock battery lots of hovering and some forward flight. the motor was only warm to touch. before the vent the motor would be blistering hot. i very carfully used a hobby knife to make the cut. already itching to do another mod. man its addictive!
A.gordon7 is offline Find More Posts by A.gordon7
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:35 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
Quote:
As I understand it, yes: however, the ESC is supplying the full motor current draw, so a microswitch might not cut it. Heavier switch should be OK. I use a Hard Disk m/f power connector (one pin only) works fine.
Thanks Oz! I'm guessing whatever can handle the same current as the ESC should be fine.

Quote:
Yup, had exactly the same problem. Have a look at post #6153 from zdawg (page 411). If you need more info just work your way back from there with the "view post" arrow
Thanks Fin, I'll check it out.
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:17 AM
Starting in R/C Helicopters
Brazil, MT, Juara
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Hello friends. I'm still doing the conversion brusless however, encounter engine trouble. Apparently he or burned, or any problem happened. He still makes the Beeps but no longer runs, it tries to run, but seems to know when you have something heavy, or holding it? is so! Would you like someone who could help him.

I use the EH200 Motor ESC with Turnigy Basic 18A, Battery 3S 25C Zippy 1500MHA. This is the correct setting? Any tips?

Another thing. I did not buy the programming card for the ESC. I need to buy? The order of the motor cables is normal? For Example. A = First wire, B = C = According wire and third wire?

I can really appreciate the help! Hugs!
Junior Basilio is offline Find More Posts by Junior Basilio
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:52 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Basilio View Post
Hello friends. I'm still doing the conversion brusless however, encounter engine trouble. Apparently he or burned, or any problem happened. He still makes the Beeps but no longer runs, it tries to run, but seems to know when you have something heavy, or holding it? is so! Would you like someone who could help him.

I use the EH200 Motor ESC with Turnigy Basic 18A, Battery 3S 25C Zippy 1500MHA. This is the correct setting? Any tips?

Another thing. I did not buy the programming card for the ESC. I need to buy? The order of the motor cables is normal? For Example. A = First wire, B = C = According wire and third wire?

I can really appreciate the help! Hugs!
First you need to make sure the the PCB does not have any burned traces. Can I assume that you are running a separate 2S pack to power the PCB?
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:32 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
Quote:
First you need to make sure the the PCB does not have any burned traces. Can I assume that you are running a separate 2S pack to power the PCB?
Crap! Is that required with the EH200 mod? I'm using a 2S 1800 mAh battery.
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion On self stabilising single-rotor helis (FP/CP) and comparison to quadcopters and coax LMF5000 Electric Heli Talk 10 Apr 13, 2014 02:59 PM
Discussion UAV systems Single Rotor vs Multi Rotor iskoos UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 2 Jan 06, 2012 10:51 PM
Question Upgrading from Co-Axial to FP Single Rotor Judo JoNny Electric Heli Talk 57 Sep 20, 2010 12:10 PM
Discussion Best FP single rotor 4 CH Heli? helinewbie617 Micro Helis 76 Oct 31, 2009 07:16 PM
For Sale will trade my orbiter coaxial for a fp or cp single rotor heli micro heli Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Sep 05, 2007 01:36 PM