HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:47 PM
Oh no!
Wales(UK)
Joined Jul 2004
127 Posts
Slop in feathering shaft

My F-45 has loads of slop between feathering shaft and the brass bushing in the rotor head.Is this normal?It's not that old so I don't think it's wear.Anyone found a way to fix it?It flies OK but I wonder if it has an effect on flight.I was going to buy a 2mm oilite sleeve to see if the shaft was a better fit,or even a slightly thicker shaft.
Scarlet is offline Find More Posts by Scarlet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
Easy way to balance your blades with stuff you may already have around the house. Take a 1/4 -20 bolt and cut the head off it so you just have a piece of threaded rod, run a nut up about 1/3rd the way, pass the bolt through both root ends of your blades, put another nut on the other side and snug it down. Now seperate the blades straight accross from each other, and set the bolt ends on two cans or something similar of the same height. The heavy blade will rotate down. Use a piece of clear packing tape on the end of the light blade and adjust it's size until blade balances, then apply tape to the leading edge of the blade so it rolls over top to bottom. Just don't put it on the trailing edge or it might lift.
Tracker thanks, the jig cost me $1.37 and works well. sure enough both sets of blades were not balanced
cheers. Bob
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:46 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
had to dump her behind the 10' fence around the colision repair place... something went wonkie... can even see 'er about 15' inside. will be at their gate early. well, i needed a good night's rest anyways. I been pushing it
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:17 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the balancing tips. Great info! Sorry about the "misplaced" F45 Bob. Hope you get her back safe and sound!

BTW fellas, are there any other main blades worth using? I gotta order some anyway.
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
No worries mate, i took the incentive to set up a 'magnifying glass on a stick' and repaired the new style gyro connections. and... it... WORKED
I will be at their gate first thing in the am, they know me already lol
cheers
Bob
P.S. I know nothing about the blade upgrades... I mostly fly stock still. Scroll back a few pages, the lads mentioned it

Tonight I will work the flybar off and check the balance on it... wish me luck
Last edited by BobTopofTheWorld; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: :P
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:46 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
My F-45 has loads of slop between feathering shaft and the brass bushing in the rotor head.Is this normal?It's not that old so I don't think it's wear.Anyone found a way to fix it?It flies OK but I wonder if it has an effect on flight.I was going to buy a 2mm oilite sleeve to see if the shaft was a better fit,or even a slightly thicker shaft.
It's not desirable, but does occur. You can make a new bushing or order new replacement parts to tighten up the slop.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:20 PM
toy? but it's a fun toy....F45
United States, OR, Mehama
Joined Jan 2013
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
My new f45 has the same issue...as a result of some really good help from this site, I just got mine to hover well......so i'm almost afraid to touch it for right now. It was cursed with slop in the connector buckles and the servo links (ball end). The result of all the slop gave it a severe case of "tail bobbing" at hover. I have some new parts coming, i hope will tighten things up. If that doesn't work i'll probably try to "McGiverize" something around my shop to make a slightly "oversize" shaft also, as you suggested. If i can get everything tight.... like it should be, maybe i can get rid of the rubber bands from my swash plate connections.
fishndorkr is offline Find More Posts by fishndorkr
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Blade balancer

Just got home from work a few minutes ago, thought I'd load a picture or two of my simple blade balancer. Couldn't do it earlier as I was at work.

Bob, hope you get your heli back ok, bet the battery will be toast though. As far as replacement blades look for esky honey bee FP xtreme carbon fiber reinforced blades. You will have to trim the root end a bit as I understand so they will fit in the blade grips. Will be getting myself some as well though I haven't managed to break any blades yet.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
Just got home from work a few minutes ago, thought I'd load a picture or two of my simple blade balancer. Couldn't do it earlier as I was at work.

Bob, hope you get your heli back ok, bet the battery will be toast though. As far as replacement blades look for esky honey bee FP xtreme carbon fiber reinforced blades. You will have to trim the root end a bit as I understand so they will fit in the blade grips. Will be getting myself some as well though I haven't managed to break any blades yet.
LOL T, I used the exact same thing, a couple tins of veggies LMAO
I could climb the fence... i could. I can see Redbird just 10-12' inside. Last time i nearly did a header off the top, ripped ma britches, and had a good panic attack (and nearly dun another header)... I can pass on the above
just tried, if i had a car bumperjack i could do it lol
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
<waltzes into the room with a HUGE GRIN...> my pal popped over, he was drunk enough that little plying was reqd... he went under the gate while i manned the ballbat/milkcrate jack, making enough clearance for his narrow a$$ to slide under Redbird is home and currently charging. only damage was the landing gear bent to hell
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:00 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Nope, them's blonde... and getting blonder every year

Got the mail, thanks. Just need to get round to getting winzip or similar on the lappi. It's new and don't have jack on it yet apart from the OS.
Hey Tig and the rest,

What I use for unzipping files, (IE winzip and the sort) is a prog. called 7zip
Dont cost a thing, and ya can unzip all sorts of stuff with it, except your pants

Try it, youll like it. Been using it for years now and no probs.

Frank
The 450 Killer
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:31 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
I am amazed, i got footage of the incident LOL
huh (2 min 4 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:14 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
I am amazed, i got footage of the incident LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb--d...ature=youtu.be
LOL It looks like it was headed right for a red p/u truck too!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:12 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
That is too cool Bob! Glad you got her back!

How on earth do you fly RC that close to an airport without getting in a bit of trouble? My luck does not allow such things! LOL
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
X2 I was gonna ask the same question
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955