Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
All this discussions of blades has me wondering: Is there a better main blade type to use than the OEM F45 blades? I do have the brushless mod well on the way, but will that change the "better" blade type?

I broke both the main blades on my F45 Saturday. I had just done the "shim" mod on the lead/lag pivots. Obviously, I made them a bit too tight. My factory spares are out of balance, so I will need to replace these soon as well.
KP, you can use wee bits of solder ca'd to the tip of the LIGHTER wing half to balance them.
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:57 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
KP, you can use wee bits of solder ca'd to the tip of the LIGHTER wing half to balance them.
This isnt a good idea, first weigh the blades, find the heavier one , then take a credit card and stand it on edge, place the blade on it and see where it ballances , then mark it, then take the other balde and do the same ..... put the two on top of each other and see which one is more off center..... then use bits of tape ( like packaging tape) and place it on the lighter side on the lighter blade..... re-weigh and and check ballance again, move the tape in or out to get proper ballance on that blade.

Hope that helps, I'll try to find a video of this if I get the time.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
F45 lift measurements

Ok, I think I have come up with a reliable way to measure 'lift'. I intend on using a soda-pop can, rig a simple harness (so the lift experient doesnt change the C.o.g.) and add water til the copter just lifts it. THEN I can weigh the can of water to get an actual figure. I will measure stock and nano-tech batteries too
Any thoughts on this?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Ok, here are 2 videos to help, BTW, theres no need for the special balancer a gram scale will do just fine, actually better because you now know the weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RMer3jIm9pA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gHi2Z2rb158
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:08 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,576 Posts
Quote:
looks good, i love how you 'coaxed' it outta the tree
btw was them grey whiskers on yur face
Nope, them's blonde... and getting blonder every year

Got the mail, thanks. Just need to get round to getting winzip or similar on the lappi. It's new and don't have jack on it yet apart from the OS.
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
This isnt a good idea, first weigh the blades, find the heavier one , then take a credit card and stand it on edge, place the blade on it and see where it ballances , then mark it, then take the other balde and do the same ..... put the two on top of each other and see which one is more off center..... then use bits of tape ( like packaging tape) and place it on the lighter side on the lighter blade..... re-weigh and and check ballance again, move the tape in or out to get proper ballance on that blade.

Hope that helps, I'll try to find a video of this if I get the time.
Thanks War, I am dealing with oldschool ways, I appreciate the knowledge I lack.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Nope, them's blonde... and getting blonder every year

Got the mail, thanks. Just need to get round to getting winzip or similar on the lappi. It's new and don't have jack on it yet apart from the OS.
Forget winzip, Fin... Get winrar. its 100% better and does .zip files too, find it at cnet/download.com. I used cnet for over 10 yrs without an issue. the link is: http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-b...-10007677.html
I was a deep auburn in a day gone by, although you cannae tell now lad. LOL
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Thanks War, I am dealing with oldschool ways, I appreciate the knowledge I lack.
Bob, I by no means meant to piss on your parade or berate you, this way is more precise and works 100%. BTW, I did forget to mention that blade tracking needs to be factored in also, after the balancing gig.

I have a problem explaining things in detail and assume that everyone gets the jist of what I'm trying to explain..... thats why I posted the videos.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Oh nooooooo

OK you lads need a good laugh... here it is. the unbelievable part... the copter flew perfectly after it BOUNCED 10' back off of the connex (yea, it hit that hard) My wifey is still laughing her arse off at the 'naration'
OH NOOOOO (0 min 21 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Bob, I by no means meant to piss on your parade or berate you, this way is more precise and works 100%. BTW, I did forget to mention that blade tracking needs to be factored in also, after the balancing gig.

I have a problem explaining things in detail and assume that everyone gets the jist of what I'm trying to explain..... thats why I posted the videos.
War dont even think thats the case, my friend. It isnt at all. Remember i am dealing mostly on 20+ yr old technoligy, i appreciate the 'new ways' and need it too
I want a heli balance ways BADLY. That would take the last few percentage points of vibrations outta the bird... 40 bucks for one... OUCH
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Kpinnc

Easy way to balance your blades with stuff you may already have around the house. Take a 1/4 -20 bolt and cut the head off it so you just have a piece of threaded rod, run a nut up about 1/3rd the way, pass the bolt through both root ends of your blades, put another nut on the other side and snug it down. Now seperate the blades straight accross from each other, and set the bolt ends on two cans or something similar of the same height. The heavy blade will rotate down. Use a piece of clear packing tape on the end of the light blade and adjust it's size until blade balances, then apply tape to the leading edge of the blade so it rolls over top to bottom. Just don't put it on the trailing edge or it might lift.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
War dont even think thats the case, my friend. It isnt at all. Remember i am dealing mostly on 20+ yr old technoligy, i appreciate the 'new ways' and need it too
I want a heli balance ways BADLY. That would take the last few percentage points of vibrations outta the bird... 40 bucks for one... OUCH
Bob, $40.00 for what , I hope you dont mean that see-saw balance rig, its not needed. Go to e-bay and look for jewlers scale's , they are dirt cheap and very accurate.

Unless of course you mean the credit card that has 40 bucks on it.... in that case I cant help ya.... LOL

Let me know if you need a link to the scale I bought and I'll punch it up fer ya.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
See, you lads saved old Bob 40 ducks... I can build that as you described
BTW got a early 'lift test' result... @zero c with a nano-tech 2000 maH battery, 140.5 grams lift
(thats mostly stock as in stock motors ect)
War, I got a gram scale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:04 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
See, you lads saved old Bob 40 ducks... I can build that as you described
BTW got a early 'lift test' result... @zero c with a nano-tech 2000 maH battery, 140.5 grams lift
(thats mostly stock as in stock motors ect)
War, I got a gram scale
Good info there. That explains why my stock F45 barely lifts my gopro. Gorpro weighs in around 160g. No problem lifting it with my BL motor on my other F45 though.
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
94 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I think I have come up with a reliable way to measure 'lift'. I intend on using a soda-pop can, rig a simple harness (so the lift experient doesnt change the C.o.g.) and add water til the copter just lifts it. THEN I can weigh the can of water to get an actual figure. I will measure stock and nano-tech batteries too
Any thoughts on this?
take a fish scale and secure it 1 side down and the other side to cog of copter and make ten lifts and read scale to get your lift per pound average.
timg734 is offline Find More Posts by timg734