Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,662 Posts
aile direction reversal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Hey guys

Decided to do the tx mod in case I happen to buy a bunch of "wrong way round" servos. That way I have a radio for either scenario .

So that's the tx open, now which 2 wires do I have to change to reverse the direction of the aile so my servo doesn't make me drift in the wrong direction? Are they at the stick or is it something on the pcb itself?

Thanks
Fin
OK, wasn't rocket science I know, but my very first tx mod is now successfully behind me and I can now buy servos without worrying about which way they turn .

Couldn't have done it on my own guys, thanks a lot for your advice.
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
After flying fixed wing for 22 years I know airfoils make a big difference in performance. A helicopter just uses a rotating wing so the principal should remain the same. I don't think you would want to fly a cp heli upside down without a symetrical blade. I'm getting better at sorting out speed versus nose down attitude, I just don't want all the excess speed. I see cp heli's fly in more wind and do it without flying balls to the wall, just looking for a happy medium and increased performance on this fixed pitch. But at the same time I know it will never fly quite like a cp heli. Have also considered modding the fly bar, either changing the weight or adding paddles. I will say that I have not suffered a fly bar strike yet and I have pulled full elevator from fff trying to get somewhat of a stall turn. Maybe the answer is just a much bigger heli with more mass, making it less wind sensitive.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:22 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,662 Posts
wind? what wind?

The rain went off so I made the mistake of convincing myself the wind had dropped enough to let me try out the new servo... result below
CAUTION: do not watch without a sense of humour

windy flight... (3 min 49 sec)

Not the greatest vid in the world, but there are some pretty impressive 45 - 50° camera shots . If I keep it up I'll maybe get a flip out of it yet

Oh yeah, when it flew backward into the tree I had the elevator on full forward
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:44 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X11 View Post
Hello @all!
I read the thread since i bought my F45.
This is really helpful. Thanks for all discussions and useful tips.
Now i have converted my F45 to BL-Mainmotor and i`m looking for a bigger Battery.
Did someone here use a 2800 MAh LiPo like this one?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/LiPo-Akku-280...#ht_867wt_1163
I know that is another size but i think i can fit it with a little work on my F45.

Regards, Manfred
I use 2200 mha batteries on my F45 and I think it is a bit too much for the brushed tail motor. If I stop flying at approx. 3.6 V the tail motor smell, not a good thing for sure.
fauconnier is online now Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:07 AM
Manfred
Germany, NRW, Cologne
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
Thanks for answering

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
I use 2200 mha batteries on my F45 and I think it is a bit too much for the brushed tail motor. If I stop flying at approx. 3.6 V the tail motor smell, not a good thing for sure.
Thanks for your answers!
I thought about the tail motor but hopefully it works.
Think i will try it and report

@ tigger

i try to fly too this day and it was a lot of wind.
With the BL it will work fine but it will be to fast for my skills
So i ended the session before i crash it.

I`m sorry for my bad English

Regards, Manfred
Mr.X11 is offline Find More Posts by Mr.X11
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:12 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your answers!
I thought about the tail motor but hopefully it works.
Think i will try it and report

@ tigger

i try to fly too this day and it was a lot of wind.
With the BL it will work fine but it will be to fast for my skills
So i ended the session before i crash it.

I`m sorry for my bad English

Regards, Manfred
Yeah, was just saying to The Wife "when I get my brushless motor...". Just means I can have more spectacular crashes .

No need to apologise for your English mate, we ALL speak one language here... HELI!!!

Gruß
Fin

Edit:
My wife is in a "Bastelforum" with people from all over Germany, and they organise a get together once or twice a year. We need to get something like that organised for "heli flying and beer drinking". Any takers?

I know Frank (R.C.Man) would be into it, Roland is in the Alsace so isn't too far away and would also be more than welcome. Mystman I think only flies micro helis, but maybe he could also be talked into getting something bigger.

If anybody else in the area would be interested in giving it a go, PM me and I'll get a list together. I'm only 50, so I don't have a problem with a sleeping bag on someone's floor
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiggertoo1962; Feb 03, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:20 AM
Manfred
Germany, NRW, Cologne
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
With BL it fells more comfortable to fly but the results of crashes are also "more comfortable"
Mr.X11 is offline Find More Posts by Mr.X11
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:36 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
The rain went off so I made the mistake of convincing myself the wind had dropped enough to let me try out the new servo... result below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuF9gjr22ms

Not the greatest vid in the world, but there are some pretty impressive 45 - 50° camera shots . If I keep it up I'll maybe get a flip out of it yet

LOL - Yeah, mine got stuck in a tree the other day and I did the same thing to "knock" it loose!

Isn't that an awful feeling when your going backwards and you have full forward! But at least no damage and your still flying!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:23 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
LOL - Yeah, mine got stuck in a tree the other day and I did the same thing to "knock" it loose!

Isn't that an awful feeling when your going backwards and you have full forward! But at least no damage and your still flying!
too true, nowhere else to goooooooooo!!!

... and all I'll be flying til the weather improves is my V911s
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:46 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
While I agree with the flybar killing response, I don't agree with blade shape.
The shape of the blade helps determine what kind of disc you are creating as does the stiffness of the blade, especially on a fixed pitch. A flat, rigid disc provides much more response the a softer diheidral disc.
Similar changes happen even in a CP heli with different blades. Use a wider blade, a heavier blade, a softer plastic blade, or a stiff carbon fiber blade all effect flight characteristics. The is especially noticeable on flybarless. On my V120, I have 5 different blades and they all product different flight characteristics. Same on a 250 I have 3 different blades.
Each blade shape products different lift patterns just a the wing on an airplane, only in forward flight, the thrust is higher on the rear of the disc than at the front, although it really happens 90 degrees sooner due to gyroscopic progression.
Blade shapes certainly effect flight characteristics, response and head speed. Quicker response and more head speed improve your ability to pitch into the wind. But they do not have any impact on the disk that's created, as far as air penetration. A wire wheel allows no more air to penetrate than a solid wheel, when both are spinning. That's simple physics, easy to verify.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Hello @all!
I read the thread since i bought my F45.
This is really helpful. Thanks for all discussions and useful tips.
Now i have converted my F45 to BL-Mainmotor and i`m looking for a bigger Battery.
Did someone here use a 2800 MAh LiPo like this one?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/LiPo-Akku-280...#ht_867wt_1163
I know that is another size but i think i can fit it with a little work on my F45.

Regards, Manfred
Welkies to the BEST Forum about 'the best bang for your buck' copter, Manfred. I am not sure of them batteries, I suspect the gains you seek will be offset by the additional weight of them batteries ( i bet the 2800 weighs 150 grams)
Cheers
Bob
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Wicked scenery Bob, and thanks for the music

What kind of camera do you use? I see you don't have to mount it upside down like I do.

BTW I use a little rolled up piece of paper - could use anything the right size I suppose - stuck between the front of the camera and the chassis to take my heli's nose out of the picture. Then again, when it's at the top it looks kinda cool. When I invert the video and the nose is at the bottom it just looks kinda like "WTFH???"

Cheers, and happy flying. We got wind & rain today so I reckon I'll be modding my tx.
Fin
Fin I use the 'built for the '45 C4002 camera'. It is VGA, so resolution is poor. I did the same thing, a bit of cable sheath to prop the camera's nose down. My new 'mod of the day' is a better camera mount using rubberbands as a 'shock-mounts' . Did You get the email?
Cheers
Bob
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Looks good! Where did you get the red strobe LED's?
Badd, I used a bicycle/pedrestrian safety flasher that had 5 LEDs in it. 2 were yellow and low intensity so i put red high intensitys in their place (after unsoldering them and putting them on the switch side). The flasher is built right on the 4.25" x 1/2" pcb. it worked perfectly.
The specifics of the flasher is:
Brand = Longxi
item # JZ-0029
The tail flasher is one them 'screw on tire valve' flashing LEDs, modded slightly.
Got in a couple flights last night... the red chasers DEFF improve orientation / direction of flight.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:32 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
All this discussions of blades has me wondering: Is there a better main blade type to use than the OEM F45 blades? I do have the brushless mod well on the way, but will that change the "better" blade type?

I broke both the main blades on my F45 Saturday. I had just done the "shim" mod on the lead/lag pivots. Obviously, I made them a bit too tight. My factory spares are out of balance, so I will need to replace these soon as well.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuF9gjr22ms

looks good, i love how you 'coaxed' it outta the tree
btw was them grey whiskers on yur face