HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:56 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
I love my F645 for the most part, but am not real happy with its wind handling characteristics. You fellas using the 10dg extreme blades, do you find the performance that much better, esp in the wind? With the stock high lift concave airfoil blades, the heli wants to climb like crazy in a head wind, and dances around all over the place in anything over about 5mph. Are the extreme blades concave or symetrical? Do you find they handle better in the wind than the stock blades? When I get by bl motor kit I want to try a set of the 10dg blades, but I understood some to be using the 8dg blades using a different pinion to increase head speed with the bl motor. Please let me know if the 10dg blades will be a waist of my money, or should I get the 8dg and a new pinion than what comes with the kit. Thanks all, nice to be able to glean from others experiences.
Blade shape has no bearing on wind handling ability. The rotating blades form a solid disk; wind will not penetrate it, kind of like an umbrella. In order to combat wind you need very quick response, enough movement authority to pitch into the wind and enough power to drive against it. Negative pitch helps, too. You are never going to get the movement authority, the latency in the flybar just kills it.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:51 AM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Actually it was crushed in a nose first crash, not hot. I will probably toss it to be safe. Thanks for the caution though.
Deff retire it, mechanical damage can short the + and - internally... you want to be absent for that.
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:00 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Blade shape has no bearing on wind handling ability. The rotating blades form a solid disk; wind will not penetrate it, kind of like an umbrella. In order to combat wind you need very quick response, enough movement authority to pitch into the wind and enough power to drive against it. Negative pitch helps, too. You are never going to get the movement authority, the latency in the flybar just kills it.
While I agree with the flybar killing response, I don't agree with blade shape.
The shape of the blade helps determine what kind of disc you are creating as does the stiffness of the blade, especially on a fixed pitch. A flat, rigid disc provides much more response the a softer diheidral disc.
Similar changes happen even in a CP heli with different blades. Use a wider blade, a heavier blade, a softer plastic blade, or a stiff carbon fiber blade all effect flight characteristics. The is especially noticeable on flybarless. On my V120, I have 5 different blades and they all product different flight characteristics. Same on a 250 I have 3 different blades.
Each blade shape products different lift patterns just a the wing on an airplane, only in forward flight, the thrust is higher on the rear of the disc than at the front, although it really happens 90 degrees sooner due to gyroscopic progression.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:06 AM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
My '45 LED Night Flying Mods (so far)

The vid quality is terrible, anyways here is a quickie of my LED's. Night flights are nice

My F45 nightlights (0 min 12 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:37 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
I love my F645 for the most part, but am not real happy with its wind handling characteristics. You fellas using the 10dg extreme blades, do you find the performance that much better, esp in the wind? With the stock high lift concave airfoil blades, the heli wants to climb like crazy in a head wind, and dances around all over the place in anything over about 5mph. Are the extreme blades concave or symetrical? Do you find they handle better in the wind than the stock blades? When I get by bl motor kit I want to try a set of the 10dg blades, but I understood some to be using the 8dg blades using a different pinion to increase head speed with the bl motor. Please let me know if the 10dg blades will be a waist of my money, or should I get the 8dg and a new pinion than what comes with the kit. Thanks all, nice to be able to glean from others experiences.
Good morning !

I'm not sure we speak about the same blades, I fly with Xtreme EHB014 blades, originally intented for the Esky Honey Bee FP heli.
i don't know if they have 8 ou 10 of pitch, but the heli flies "sharper" with them. It's like if on a car you replace old and worn dampers with new ones.
In conjunction with a brushless motor it's a very usefull and advisable mod.

But even with the stock blades, the wind handling capacity of the F45 is not bad at all.
One thing is sure : if you reduce throttle you won't have much forward speed.
To fight the wind you have to give more throttle, and at the same time, to avoid the heli climbing in the sky, push the elevator so the heli flies nose down.
It's not easy at the beginning, because you have to find the right balance between the amount of throttle and the amount of elevator. This takes some time and practice.
I have a second, stock F45, and even with this one I'm able to fight winds of about 35 Kmh, but it took some time (months) !

Regards, Roland
Rollmops67 is online now Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Yep wot Roland said... I can fly in 7-10 mph winds and I am nowhere near a great flier. Its odd at first, cause more throttle = more heigth... BUT with the nose down more throttle keeps it from descending... and you get greater authority in the wind. its a balancing act. practice, practice
And, good morning Roland. I had a full day yesterday and so it is near my nap time.
Cheers Lads
Bob
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:57 AM
Manfred
Germany, NRW, Cologne
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
Hello @all!
I read the thread since i bought my F45.
This is really helpful. Thanks for all discussions and useful tips.
Now i have converted my F45 to BL-Mainmotor and i`m looking for a bigger Battery.
Did someone here use a 2800 MAh LiPo like this one?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/LiPo-Akku-280...#ht_867wt_1163
I know that is another size but i think i can fit it with a little work on my F45.

Regards, Manfred
Mr.X11 is offline Find More Posts by Mr.X11
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:14 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,554 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a problem with attaching egofly camera to my bird. The camera has some smaller board that takes trigger voltage(~4V) and triggers camera some unclear way so I can't see any difference in voltage on cables that exit the board and go to camera. If anyone knows what that little board is doing I would appreciate some input.
I could attach the board together with the camera but I want to figure out what is that board doing.
Thanks
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:03 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
Ok got a wee vid for the lads. nice backgrounds... some mention of ZZ Top...

http://youtu.be/67-OWlfvOgg
Wicked scenery Bob, and thanks for the music

What kind of camera do you use? I see you don't have to mount it upside down like I do.

BTW I use a little rolled up piece of paper - could use anything the right size I suppose - stuck between the front of the camera and the chassis to take my heli's nose out of the picture. Then again, when it's at the top it looks kinda cool. When I invert the video and the nose is at the bottom it just looks kinda like "WTFH???"

Cheers, and happy flying. We got wind & rain today so I reckon I'll be modding my tx.
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:07 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Quote:
The vid quality is terrible, anyways here is a quickie of my LED's. Night flights are nice

http://youtu.be/2Dcj2eyuWc0
Looks good! Where did you get the red strobe LED's?
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:10 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/2Dcj2eyuWc0
That looks the dog's b*llocks Bob. Bet it helps big time with orientation. No doubt once I have my BL conversion done I'll be looking at other mods, and I reckon that'll be one of them... but since I'm still a noob in ALL things electrical - one step at a time babes
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:13 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Good morning !

I'm not sure we speak about the same blades, I fly with Xtreme EHB014 blades, originally intented for the Esky Honey Bee FP heli.
i don't know if they have 8 ou 10 of pitch, but the heli flies "sharper" with them. It's like if on a car you replace old and worn dampers with new ones.
In conjunction with a brushless motor it's a very usefull and advisable mod.

But even with the stock blades, the wind handling capacity of the F45 is not bad at all.
One thing is sure : if you reduce throttle you won't have much forward speed.
To fight the wind you have to give more throttle, and at the same time, to avoid the heli climbing in the sky, push the elevator so the heli flies nose down.
It's not easy at the beginning, because you have to find the right balance between the amount of throttle and the amount of elevator. This takes some time and practice.
I have a second, stock F45, and even with this one I'm able to fight winds of about 35 Kmh, but it took some time (months) !

Regards, Roland
+1 on that Roland. My canopy probably has more sellotape on it, weight for weight, than plastic and there's only ONE cause for that
Fin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:18 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X11 View Post
Hello @all!
I read the thread since i bought my F45.
This is really helpful. Thanks for all discussions and useful tips.
Now i have converted my F45 to BL-Mainmotor and i`m looking for a bigger Battery.
Did someone here use a 2800 MAh LiPo like this one?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/LiPo-Akku-280...#ht_867wt_1163
I know that is another size but i think i can fit it with a little work on my F45.

Regards, Manfred
Hey Manfred

welcome to the addiction . Don't know of anyone who's tried using 2800mAh batteries on it yet but maybe someone will contradict me.

On the subject, I heard recently it has now been discovered that the "MJX-favourite mod" turnigy batteries have a habit of swelling up after a time, and that Zippy's are supposed to be better. Any first-hand comments on this?

Cheers
Fin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:04 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Hey Manfred

welcome to the addiction . Don't know of anyone who's tried using 2800mAh batteries on it yet but maybe someone will contradict me.

On the subject, I heard recently it has now been discovered that the "MJX-favourite mod" turnigy batteries have a habit of swelling up after a time, and that Zippy's are supposed to be better. Any first-hand comments on this?

Cheers
Fin
Turnigy batteries with higher C rating react poorly to overcharging and also don't like to be stored for long periods at full charge. If you not going to use for a week or two, leave the battery at about 3.8 volts.
If you are using the stock charger, that may be the cause as the cheap chargers that come with helis have random output. I have three charges, all the same, that I got with 3 Walkera minis. They all charge batteries to different levels, fortunately, too low. I often use them to perch argue when doing lots of batteries and then finish with Acucell6.
Cheap or free chargers are not so cheap in the end.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:10 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Turnigy batteries with higher C rating react poorly to overcharging and also don't like to be stored for long periods at full charge. If you not going to use for a week or two, leave the battery at about 3.8 volts.
If you are using the stock charger, that may be the cause as the cheap chargers that come with helis have random output. I have three charges, all the same, that I got with 3 Walkera minis. They all charge batteries to different levels, fortunately, too low. I often use them to perch argue when doing lots of batteries and then finish with Acucell6.
Cheap or free chargers are not so cheap in the end.
Good info Brent, thanks.
RCG Plus Member