Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:21 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,739 Posts
Big Bird II

YIPPEEE!!!!

Big Bird II's replacement finally arrived today

The charger charges, no twitchy servos when I plug the battery in, and the tx binds to the heli, so the blades have now been shimmed & balanced, the dog-bones have been bent and the battery is full. Just a shame that the neighbour's flag is sticking out from the mast as though it had been starched .

Oh well, just have to head down to the customs and collect The Wife's Uncle's Birthday Present RTF V911 and hope the wind dies down in the meantime .

I did manage a short test hover in our rather spatially-challenged living room much to The Wife's consternation . She dives for cover when I pick up the tx for my V911s .
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Oct 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Guys, I need your help. Is there any option how to test if the stock F45 battery charger is working correctly? I really dont want to destroy more batteries...
Zarrick: Buy a charger/balancer like Imax b6 or similar... stock charger it's very slow and doesn't balance
ddrmax69 is offline Find More Posts by ddrmax69
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:06 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Arrow - Do you have a pic of what you did? Do I heat them up slightly with something? Thanks!
Hi baddb

Just take needle-nosed pliers and bend the dogbone GENTLY & REPEATEDLY from about 1/3 of the way down. No need to heat.

Have a look at post #5577 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...97711&page=372) for a pic of the result. You then just put the bones back on so that the short end (top) of the 7 attaches to the mixer arm and the long end to the swash plate.

Good luck and happy flying.
Fin.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
YIPPEEE!!!!

Big Bird II's replacement finally arrived today

The charger charges, no twitchy servos when I plug the battery in, and the tx binds to the heli, so the blades have now been shimmed & balanced, the dog-bones have been bent and the battery is full. Just a shame that the neighbour's flag is sticking out from the mast as though it had been starched .

Oh well, just have to head down to the customs and collect The Wife's Uncle's Birthday Present RTF V911 and hope the wind dies down in the meantime .

I did manage a short test hover in our rather spatially-challenged living room much to The Wife's consternation . She dives for cover when I pick up the tx for my V911s .
LMFAO... mine gives me 'that look' when i pick up the v911 controller... (i put several not so tidy marks on HER 32" flat screen tv) cannae help it laddy, the v911 seen some rather striking scenery on the telly and just wanted to experience it
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:17 AM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
I know the stock charger is bad, but my stock battery died after 2-3 charges and I'm worrying its because the charger is broken. The cells of the stock battery were totally disbalanced. I just ordered 2 more Flightmaxes so I dont want to destroy them via charger...
Im only a "sunday flyer", I will fly only 2-3 times a month so I dont really want to push too much money into it.

I want to order HK DC4S but I dont have any 2A+ power supplies (only two 1A) and I'm afraid of connecting it to car battery. I really dont want to burn down my car/house
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Last edited by Zarrick; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:33 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
500 Posts
Quote:
I did manage a short test hover in our rather spatially-challenged living room much to The Wife's consternation
Quote:
LMFAO... mine gives me 'that look' when i pick up the v911 controller
I feel so much better now. My wife thinks I have lost my mind! She gives me a lot of grief for taking up all the cabinet space in the kitchen with helicopters, but I already told her that I have nowhere else to work on them. Women sure are strange.... LMAO
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:44 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,266 Posts
Quote:
Hi baddb

Just take needle-nosed pliers and bend the dogbone GENTLY & REPEATEDLY from about 1/3 of the way down. No need to heat.

Have a look at post #5577 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...97711&page=372) for a pic of the result. You then just put the bones back on so that the short end (top) of the 7 attaches to the mixer arm and the long end to the swash plate.

Good luck and happy flying.
Fin.
Perfect, thanks! I just didn't want to break them if they were brittle.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
You got that right kp... they dont understand the need for 14 models, all in various stages of mod/parts replacement. mine told me yesterday 'wouldnt it be better to buy food, rather than the parts you need?' well, do i need to answer that... i could 'live off the fat of the land' for at least 2 weeks (more like 2 months but i do have some pride left)
answer: 'no dear, i rather order the DESPERATELY NEEDED parts, i can eat next week'
result: 70 dollars worth of foodstuff later...
LOL
Yea i just dont get it. 2 plates, 2 cups, 2 saucers, 2 glasses, 2 spoons, 2 knives, 2 forks... are enough. wots the need for CABNETS full of stuff that may by perhaps be used 2x a year... copters are used so much more often (and look way better in the cabnets than old dishes anyways)
Last edited by BobTopofTheWorld; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Still LMAO
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:23 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
500 Posts
Quote:
70 dollars worth of foodstuff later...
Oh boy. My wife gave me a jab for spending $100 on my F45...

Until I reminded her that her cell phone cost that much every month.

I should be able to see out of my left eye again in a few days.... LMAO
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
I know the stock charger is bad, but my stock battery died after 2-3 charges and I'm worrying its because the charger is broken. The cells of the stock battery were totally disbalanced. I just ordered 2 more Flightmaxes so I dont want to destroy them via charger...
Im only a "sunday flyer", I will fly only 2-3 times a month so I dont really want to push too much money into it.

I want to order HK DC4S but I dont have any 2A+ power supplies (only two 1A) and I'm afraid of connecting it to car battery. I really dont want to burn down my car/house
Zarrick, a car battery will do just fine. just fuse the input to the charger (and vent the battery to the outside world when charging it indoors). I use them 'sealed lead-acid' gel batteries alot. They rated at 7aH @12 vdc, if you were gonna use 2 amps of current, the battery will be useful for over 3 hours (if only 1 amp then over 6 hours) need more current, just parallel them... My HF SSB operates on a 70 aH array of 10 of them in parallel. A 7.5 amp automotive fuse inline with the positive lead will protect you/yur gear. A good place to find these are them emergency lights that have swiveling heads. In a pile of 20 or so discarded units, i had only 4 that were no good. The charger in them emergency lights are perfect too. (the sealed batteries are nice, you dont have to worry about hydrogen gas and its inherant issues... think Li batteries get angry, lead-acid style makes an EXTREEMLY FLAMABLE GAS called hydrogen,,, just a couple L of this gas will make a fireball 2m in diameter) so be careful
I even got a solar cell charging system, keeps the gel cells nicely topped off.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
and yes, my BL mod is on the back burner until i get a decent charger At least MJX built a sturdy copter... the rest could be garbage, but the copter is worthy
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
LOL kp, i see you havent perfected the 'bob and weave' technique as i have (oh wait they named it after me ) and... i know way better than to 'well YOU spent XXX on _____' ... that only pours petrol on the fire LMAO
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
DAMNIT, she was behind me reading this... and said 'be nice and i give you 50 bucks for parts'. now where did i leave my 'tact and decorum'... did i get lucky or wot
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:49 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,739 Posts
wrong servo?

Hey guys

just bought this servo http://www.ebay.de/itm/111004679501?...84.m1423.l2649 to replace the jumpy aile servo on Big Bird I. Fits OK but when I plug it in it turns the wrong way . Is there a way to reverse the aileron control on the tx, or to make it turn the other way, or have I just wasted my money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
Zarrick, a car battery will do just fine. just fuse the input to the charger (and vent the battery to the outside world when charging it indoors). I use them 'sealed lead-acid' gel batteries alot. They rated at 7aH @12 vdc, if you were gonna use 2 amps of current, the battery will be useful for over 3 hours (if only 1 amp then over 6 hours) need more current, just parallel them... My HF SSB operates on a 70 aH array of 10 of them in parallel. A 7.5 amp automotive fuse inline with the positive lead will protect you/yur gear. A good place to find these are them emergency lights that have swiveling heads. In a pile of 20 or so discarded units, i had only 4 that were no good. The charger in them emergency lights are perfect too. (the sealed batteries are nice, you dont have to worry about hydrogen gas and its inherant issues... think Li batteries get angry, lead-acid style makes an EXTREEMLY FLAMABLE GAS called hydrogen,,, just a couple L of this gas will make a fireball 2m in diameter) so be careful
I even got a solar cell charging system, keeps the gel cells nicely topped off.
Bob

after reading this I started wondering if I can use my car battery charger (http://www.amazon.de/dp/B002LFIH84/r...hvptwo=&hvqmt=) as a power supply for e.g. an IMAX B6.

It's for charging 12V batteries, and rated at 4A, 10-50 Ah.

Although the car went to the graveyard I still have the charger and have always been wondering whether I should get rid of it or if it might come in useful for something .

Cheers
Fin

By the way, does zdawg - or anybody else for that matter - have an answer to my previous question from post #6156?

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, any particular reason you have your RX and tail motor on a switch instead of them just being fired up when you plug the battery in? Bet I'll kick myself when I see the answer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:56 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Arrow - Do you have a pic of what you did? Do I heat them up slightly with something? Thanks!
I see triggertoo posted answer but here is mine.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter