HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Oct 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
All but the ESC. Most go with this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Thanks arrow for you fast reply... what it's the difererence?
ddrmax69 is offline Find More Posts by ddrmax69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
So has anyone had a chance to look at this? I really appreciate the input.
Arrow the items you indicated have nothing to do with the camera function
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:10 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
Arrow the items you indicated have nothing to do with the camera function
Cool. I'll burn them off and see what happens. Thanks!

Edit: Perfect! Thanks again BobTopofTheWorld.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizza View Post
Hey Guys,
After having the F45 for about a week and half I feel I've picked up the controls and movements of the helicopter pretty well. I've been banking turns with no issues and diving and doing circuits a couple of times a day (on lunch, and after work). I'm starting to feel very comfortable with the helicopter and see my self getting bored with it very soon. Aside from becoming comfortable with the heli my other frustration is it's lack of forward movement in wind. Unless I'm going with the wind and coming back down in a dive it will pretty much just hover in place in a not so strong wind if it's going against it. I'm considering returning the heli and putting my money towards a more advanced collective pitch heli which will give me more of a challenge and be able to handle wind better. I bought the f45 as a mid point heli to get me prepared for a 6ch 3d helicopter but now I'm thinking I should have just jumped right into one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering spending up to 300 for a ready to fly kit. Thanks!
hope you got lots of money, CP is 'i flew once, crashed... waiting for parts... 30-45 days later repeat'
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
no foward speed with the '45 huh... i only experience that with winds over 10 mph, else it has plenty
then again i am an old f**k and breaking the land-speed record is no longer of interest to me
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Arrow, use common sense with this project, take one part off, test and then repeat. The parts you indicated are the main motor FET, the gyro, the servo jacks, and they have nothing to do with the camera. I wouldnt bother the BEC FET (closest to the battery wires) or any of the signal processing bits. I have doped out over 50% of the rx board. The 5 volt BEC is indeed necessary. If you intend to save the motor jacks on the board, take the plastic 'box' off first. This is easily done by gently prying up on the white plastic (i used my trusty pocket knife) working it up from the pcb. then the pins can be unsoldered without melting the white plastic (and destroying it)
ps i could sure use that main motor FET, cant find a good substitute in this side of america lol
cheers and dont forget to enjoy
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
My F645 finally arrived today. I must say I am hooked on this helicopter! Setting up the remote was easy, and it flew very well- especially since I was at the controls. I had a light breeze to contend with, which is quite difficult when the aileron is set at 65%. I broke the toes off of BOTH skids, but that wasn't so bad. I chickened out and cut throttle to avoid a tree during a gust, and the throttle was set to 50%, so there was no chance of recovery. Oh well, I am still very impressed.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Even though it was my first flight, I had quite a bit of experience to draw from. This thread should be required reading when you purchase this helicopter!
Welkies to the group KP. I threw away the skids after a gentle landing destroyed them (both sets), the plastic just doesnt have any resilance to change. Few pages back i posted my landing gear mod, which has been tested and 'bends but doesnt break' quite well. 1/8" stiff steel wire for the legs and an old fishing pole to make the 'feet' (this wasnt a whimpy fishing pole, the fibreglas section was 1/2" dia.) and then covered that with closed cell pipe insulation for the pontoons. This provided me with several areas unaddressed... wider footprint for snow landings, soft pontoons, and landing gear that doesnt shatter. next thing is to solder the flat mounting washers to the 1/8" wire so they dont shift side to side
guys this copter looks so cool... spooling up and blowing snow... i can skim the fresh snow blowing it about, the blinking red leds light the snowcloud... looks surreal
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:30 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
485 Posts
Quote:
Welkies to the group KP. I threw away the skids after a gentle landing destroyed them (both sets), the plastic just doesnt have any resilance to change. Few pages back i posted my landing gear mod, which has been tested and 'bends but doesnt break' quite well. 1/8" stiff steel wire for the legs and an old fishing pole to make the 'feet' (this wasnt a whimpy fishing pole, the fibreglas section was 1/2" dia.) and then covered that with closed cell pipe insulation for the pontoons. This provided me with several areas unaddressed... wider footprint for snow landings, soft pontoons, and landing gear that doesnt shatter. next thing is to solder the flat mounting washers to the 1/8" wire so they dont shift side to side
Thanks Bob! When I pulled the skids out tonight, the first thing I though of was fishing rod! Light, flexible, but very strong. Sounds like a great idea!

I'm gonna have to do something for sure. I like the 450 skids mod a few pages back too. With me driving, this helicopter needs a larger foot print anyway! Most of my "day one" crashes today were roll-overs on take off, but I was applying more right cyclic than I needed anyway. I guess it will take a few days before I get the "feel" of the F45 without thinking about it.

I can't believe how long the stock battery takes to charge. Geez! I was gonna do the brushless mod first, but I'm thinking batteries and charger may need to happen first.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
yea 3 hours to top off the stocks... i got 3 stock and 2 nano-tech's (and 2 stock chargers). seems the battery chargers dont lack for a battery lol. for shorter runs the stok works ok, them nano-tech's are nice but require bat box mods (i dun had a bat get loose and destroy the nosecone
cheers
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:16 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
Now I'm confused! I was originally gonna order the parts from HK but was under the impression that it wouldn't work right with the version 2 receiver, I thought that was why aliexpress came out with the version 2 BL upgrade kit with the new board/esc.Am I wrong in this, otherwise why did aliexpress first offer two different options?
Oh dear, I hope not... any comments guys?
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:01 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,626 Posts
jittery servo

Decided to do a bit of "process of elimination" testing on my jittery servo.

When plugged into the elev servo port (the middle one) it still has intermittent jittering, so the problem is with the servo itself and not the board, since the elev servo doesn't show the same behaviour.

Just as a matter of interest I plugged it into the free servo port at the front. When I connect the battery the servo arm pulls all the way to the bottom (the gear turns clockwise) stays in that position and buzzes, as though if it wasn't connected to the swash it would continue trying to turn in that direction. Anybody know why?

I also took the screws out and had a look inside a servo for the first time. Man, you'd need to be a Swiss jeweller to try soldering anything inside there . I've now given it a quick scoosh of "Caramba Multi-Spray Super Plus" - like contact spray with knobs on - just in case any moisture had gotten inside the servo casing. I'll leave it open for an hour or so to let the spray work and the excess evaporate and we'll see what happens...

Cheers
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:57 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
636 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,
After having the F45 for about a week and half I feel I've picked up the controls and movements of the helicopter pretty well. I've been banking turns with no issues and diving and doing circuits a couple of times a day (on lunch, and after work). I'm starting to feel very comfortable with the helicopter and see my self getting bored with it very soon. Aside from becoming comfortable with the heli my other frustration is it's lack of forward movement in wind. Unless I'm going with the wind and coming back down in a dive it will pretty much just hover in place in a not so strong wind if it's going against it. I'm considering returning the heli and putting my money towards a more advanced collective pitch heli which will give me more of a challenge and be able to handle wind better. I bought the f45 as a mid point heli to get me prepared for a 6ch 3d helicopter but now I'm thinking I should have just jumped right into one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering spending up to 300 for a ready to fly kit. Thanks!
Hello Quizza !
I don't know your level of skills in flying helis, but I can tell you my experience :
I began flying helis in may 2012.
I have 2 F45's since about 6 months, and have no problem to master them (although I still become "better" flight after flight)
Since one month I have a Walkera Master CP.
This is a very docile heli (that's good for beginners), however I was astonished how DIFFICULT it is to fly.
Hovering is not a problem, but control the speed in forward flight and, more difficult, doing NICE turns is VERY difficult at the beginning, it's like you have to learn from scratch (a little frustrating).
Now after about 40 flights with this thing (with 2 crashes) the turns become better but there is still a long way to go.

That said, we are all different, maybe you are able to learn quicker then me (I'm allready 51, so my brain is maybe allready a little sclerotic ), or have a longer experience in helis, but I just wanted to warn you that between a heli like the very self-stabilizing F45 and a CP model, where YOU have to do a lot of stabilizing, there is a big difference.

Anyway, I wish you happy flying.

Roland
Rollmops67 is online now Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Last edited by Rollmops67; Jan 30, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:27 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,
As several others have indicated, CP helis are a totally different breed to fly.
If I had it to do over again. I would start with a mini like the Walkera SuperCP or MiniCP. They are very crash resistant and very fast reacting. Once you master them, the larger ones get easier. A V120D02S would be the largest I would start with.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:45 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
sadly I have to agree kp, battery charger before BL mod
I must have dun something right in a prior life... went out for a wee flight this am (temp 16f [-9c] winds outta the N @ 9 mph... got set, just as i went to spool 'er up a SERIOUS gust just hammered me, tears in my eyes serious... Now dont start the funeral proceedings, I had forgot to plug in the main motor. Plugged the MM in and sat it back down... sure enough the gods of flight were right, ANOTHER blast hit me. Took that as a sign to "Go back inside lad"
Last edited by BobTopofTheWorld; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: i didnt crash lol lol lol
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrmax69 View Post
Thanks arrow for you fast reply... what it's the difererence?
Please arrow :$

Thanks!
ddrmax69 is offline Find More Posts by ddrmax69