HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:59 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
Also the new ESC mounts directly under the Rx board. Also I believe this mod operates on the 2c battery, negating having yet another box of batteries.
Hello Bob !

The mod with the BL200 brushless motor works very well with a 2S battery, and has plenty of power. I never felt the need to go 3S.
I Fly with a 2200 mAh Turnigy, wich lasts about 12 minutes, before the low-voltage alarm sets in, allowing me another 1 to 2 minutes to bring the bird down safely.
They are only the hardcore flyers like Rexless or Bthirsk who need 3C !!!

And the ESC (possibly emmetting some EMI) just a few mm under the RX board, I don't know if it is a good thing...

Roland
Rollmops67 is online now Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Last edited by Rollmops67; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:03 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Hi guys

call me dumb, but I'm gonna ask anyway

Is this the easiest way for an idiot to do the brushless main motor mod with the version 2 PCB?... and has anybody bought it from this supplier yet?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...702895340.html

Probably costs a bit more than what some of you guys are doing, but it'll still give me the result I'm after and save me a bunch on brushed motors in the long run... as far as I know

Cheers
Fin
Besides what has already been commented, it is actually a more difficult mod because you need to replace the upper side plates and tray. And while you are soldering the plug onto the ESC you can add the wire to power the PCB.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:13 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
485 Posts
Quote:
I agree with BThirsk. Very simple mod with the EH200 BL motor and 18A ESC. (and cheaper) Only 2 wires to solder on PC board. ESC servo plug goes to spare port on PCB. Here is a wiring diagram someone made awhile back showing the main BL motor conversion:
My F45 SHOULD be here today... This is the very first thing I hope to do (after learning to fly it), but I keep going back and forth on this. I'm a noob, but am fairly decent with my shop tools. Do I buy the kit, or go with the ESC and EH200?

I haven't even ordered LiPos or chargers yet, though I plan to. Will either mod work with the stock battery, at least in the short term?
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:29 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,448 Posts
I was and for the most part still am a noob when it comes to rc stuff. My opinion is that you should fly the F45 stock at least until you blow the main motor. It is a fun flier. Once you get to know it well and you've used up the main motor I would then suggest the eh200 upgrade path with either the 2s or 3s battery. It's really quite easy to do and it makes mores sense to me than replacing the stock brushed motor.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I agree with BThirsk. Very simple mod with the EH200 BL motor and 18A ESC. (and cheaper) Only 2 wires to solder on PC board. ESC servo plug goes to spare port on PCB. Here is a wiring diagram someone made awhile back showing the main BL motor conversion:
that is plug-n-play simple... and i never thought of the esc's rfi 'generator' characteristics... see 8 minds are better than one
cheers lads
a day without flyin... must be mod day
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
was cruising some other threads... seen that 'blueboard' foam insulation used for building a plane... now thats interesting. (and cheap )
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
was cruising some other threads... seen that 'blueboard' foam insulation used for building a plane... now thats interesting. (and cheap )
Oh No ! not a F45 foamy conversion
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I want to use the F45 camera on what is now no longer a F45/450 so I will need to mount the F45 PCB on the heli to operate the camera. I want to remove some of the components to make room for where I want to stick it, but I want to make sure that it will still be able to bind and operate the camera. I put an X on what I figure was safe and a ? on what I am not sure about. Figure some of the electronics buffs should be able to help me with this one.
So has anyone had a chance to look at this? I really appreciate the input.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Can I move this little green ring thingy that is on the signal wire for the ESC, anywhere along the wire?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:08 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Can I move this little green ring thingy that is on the signal wire for the ESC, anywhere along the wire?
Yes. Most escs do not even come with them anymore as the interference has been reduced to a point it is not necessary and the interference it would have caused is usually not an issue for 2.4 receivers.

If you look back a few pages, I have links to several boards to do what you want to do. I have not been able to continue as my new multimeter that will measure pulse is backordered and my old one is a dead POS.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:18 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the advice lads. Once I get my kitchen finally finished tomorrow I'll have a closer look at Brent's blog and check out sourcing the parts .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I was and for the most part still am a noob when it comes to rc stuff. My opinion is that you should fly the F45 stock at least until you blow the main motor. It is a fun flier. Once you get to know it well and you've used up the main motor I would then suggest the eh200 upgrade path with either the 2s or 3s battery. It's really quite easy to do and it makes mores sense to me than replacing the stock brushed motor.
@ rexless

Fully intend to continue flying stock til I blow the brushed motor (and the other 2 which I have on order ) but I have another F45 arriving hopefully tomorrow - actually arrived last week but had to send it back and request a replacement cos it had jittery servos - which I intend to do the BL mod on. Knowing me, once I have the BL motor and the ESC actually in my hands I'll have so many questions and so little time that my 4 stock motors (if you include the one I'll be ripping out the new heli) will probably be blown before the BL is finished and I'll have to order a 5th brushed motor just to keep on flying .

Cheers
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Yes. Most escs do not even come with them anymore as the interference has been reduced to a point it is not necessary and the interference it would have caused is usually not an issue for 2.4 receivers.

If you look back a few pages, I have links to several boards to do what you want to do. I have not been able to continue as my new multimeter that will measure pulse is backordered and my old one is a dead POS.
Perfect! I'll just move it down by the ESC and see what happens. Maybe just take it off altogether. Thanks for the other too.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:03 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
@ rexless Fully intend to continue flying stock til I blow the brushed motor (and the other 2 which I have on order ) but I have another F45 arriving hopefully tomorrow - actually arrived last week but had to send it back and request a replacement cos it had jittery servos - which I intend to do the BL mod on. Knowing me, once I have the BL motor and the ESC actually in my hands I'll have so many questions and so little time that my 4 stock motors (if you include the one I'll be ripping out the new heli) will probably be blown before the BL is finished and I'll have to order a 5th brushed motor just to keep on flying . Cheers Fin
Ah. I only had the one and no experience modding when I did the first stage of the EH200 conversion (I started with the 2s battery). I was down for about a week but mostly due to using a AEORC ESC. The provided instructions were flat out wrong and I had to resolder the 3 brushless motor wires a couple times to get it to spin the right way. I've just recently switched to small connectors so I can just swap the wires as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Oh No ! not a F45 foamy conversion
Oh I'd like to see that one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:55 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Rexless, any 2 wires will reverse the direction, all 3 should have the same ends soldered on for this reason. I mark mine with the proper colored heat shrink after getting orientation right.... just for future reference
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:08 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,448 Posts
That's a great tip! That's why I switched to bullets now that I was moving things around. I have different colours of heatshrink on the males and females so I can keep track of what is where.
RCG Plus Member