HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:59 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Direct Drive Main Shaft?

I'm still cutting, gluing and soldering on my F45 as time permits... no flying lately. I'm not sure I remember how to fly anymore...

Today I became a bit distracted when I thought - why do we have to run this big gear that gets in the way of things like wires and batteries? I thought I'd do a search and see if anyone runs a direct-drive main motor and found the Funcopter references? I thought my idea was totally nuts until I saw this thread with pictures of a 450 with a direct drive setup.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=366956

Anyway, looks like a pretty expensive motor and I wouldn't know how to find an alternative so I'm just thinking out loud while window shopping.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:20 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
523 Posts
I like the DD setup. SOOOO much simpler than all the gears and extra motors, but for $97 I can buy another F45!
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
THANK THE GODS I had the turniqy battery in last run... was a wee bit gusty... practicing banked turns... add gust at just the wrong moment... copter is barreling for the apt wall (concrete block wall)... I planted the throttle... the copter JETTED straight up and cleared the wall by cm... This after a good 5 min on the nano-tech bat. Bob was sweatting that one... oh yea the run before, I planted 'er in the top of some mini-tree... climb the snow berm, climb up 3 foot, untangle copter from 'limbus destructicus maximus' LOL... jumped down, damn near slid into the parking lot... and flew away
Lads, aient it good to be one of the few, the proud, the F45 owners.
cheers
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I'm still cutting, gluing and soldering on my F45 as time permits... no flying lately. I'm not sure I remember how to fly anymore...

Today I became a bit distracted when I thought - why do we have to run this big gear that gets in the way of things like wires and batteries? I thought I'd do a search and see if anyone runs a direct-drive main motor and found the Funcopter references? I thought my idea was totally nuts until I saw this thread with pictures of a 450 with a direct drive setup.

Anyway, looks like a pretty expensive motor and I wouldn't know how to find an alternative so I'm just thinking out loud while window shopping.
OMG...O-M-G... that thread... that copter... that BRUTISH motor... isnt it nice to dream
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:44 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
I like the DD setup. SOOOO much simpler than all the gears and extra motors, but for $97 I can buy another F45!
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
THANK THE GODS I had the turniqy battery in last run... was a wee bit gusty... practicing banked turns... add gust at just the wrong moment... copter is barreling for the apt wall (concrete block wall)... I planted the throttle... the copter JETTED straight up and cleared the wall by cm... This after a good 5 min on the nano-tech bat. Bob was sweatting that one... oh yea the run before, I planted 'er in the top of some mini-tree... climb the snow berm, climb up 3 foot, untangle copter from 'limbus destructicus maximus' LOL... jumped down, damn near slid into the parking lot... and flew away
Lads, aient it good to be one of the few, the proud, the F45 owners.
cheers
LOL yep!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
MJX Mod

"hi. did you intentionally bent your tail or was it bent after a crash?"

Intentional bend and a little sideways twist which helped the forward motion.
heli_gman is offline Find More Posts by heli_gman
Last edited by heli_gman; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add a bit more
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:28 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
OMG...O-M-G... that thread... that copter... that BRUTISH motor... isnt it nice to dream
I know! If it wasn't so expensive I'd try it. I'm guessing it'd be a bit on the heavy side compared to the EH200+big plastic gear but still... it would be fun to try.

Anyway, looks like my mods are done for tonight. I just have to strap down the new 1500mah 3s battery and it's time for a test flight. Oh wait. It's approaching midnight and it's -10c - I guess I'll wait until tomorrow... argh!

Here's the progress so far...
Last edited by rexless; Jan 29, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:24 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Nice Rexless I like the lights nice touch plus my eyes are magically drawn to shiny things.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:07 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,827 Posts
brushless main motor

Hi guys

call me dumb, but I'm gonna ask anyway

Is this the easiest way for an idiot to do the brushless main motor mod with the version 2 PCB?... and has anybody bought it from this supplier yet?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...702895340.html

Probably costs a bit more than what some of you guys are doing, but it'll still give me the result I'm after and save me a bunch on brushed motors in the long run... as far as I know

Cheers
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:26 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
MJX Toys

Did someone tried to contact MJX Toys ? I tried twice and they ignore completely my questions.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Last edited by fauconnier; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: oh
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:49 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post

Hey, I've got a V1 motor that has maybe 5 hovers on it, I bought the V2 kit to get the updated flybar and gear set. I really dont see a difference in the motors.

Remeber that this motor runs on 11.1 volts 3S or 4S batteries and you will likely need a minimum 40A ESC.

If anyone wants it, $30.00 shipped in the US . PM me if interested. I've pretty much given up on the Funcopter, although it does look cool .
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:45 AM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Hi guys

Is this the easiest way for an idiot to do the brushless main motor mod with the version 2 PCB?... and has anybody bought it from this supplier yet?

Probably costs a bit more than what some of you guys are doing, but it'll still give me the result I'm after and save me a bunch on brushed motors in the long run... as far as I know

Cheers
Fin
Fin, the fellows say there are cheaper ways to go BL (order the bl200 and wait weeks while it is on b.o.) I personally think this is a good kit... and before the naesayers mount their keyboards let me say why. In the past, there has been issues with converting the servo pulse to a more usable signal to the ESC. The solution usually required an additional 'little black box' between the servo jack and the ESC... The aliexpress kit is setup different, it gets the motor's throttle setting from the main motor plug, eliminating signal conversion (and another weak link) circuitry. Also the new ESC mounts directly under the Rx board. Also I believe this mod operates on the 2c battery, negating having yet another box of batteries. (if i had a dollar for every 'better than stock battery' i have had, i could afford that kit) I await their BL answer to the to the stock tailmotor issue. Just my '2 euros worth'

Bit too wicked out this am... temp 7f (-14c) winds outta the north @ 8 mph w/gusts to 30 mph. Looking like its a good day to do the bat box repair I been putting off (prior crash, battery holder broke, after the battery slid foward and the C.o.G. went FULL FOWARD FLIGHT mode... lol Gonna reinforce the bat box with bits from the tail support tubes so the nano-techs will be sorted...
Happiness is a '45 dancing in the wind
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:49 AM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
and... no, i wont call you dumb... there is only 1 dumb question, the above one IS NOT IT
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:16 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Fin, the fellows say there are cheaper ways to go BL (order the bl200 and wait weeks while it is on b.o.) I personally think this is a good kit... and before the naesayers mount their keyboards let me say why. In the past, there has been issues with converting the servo pulse to a more usable signal to the ESC. The solution usually required an additional 'little black box' between the servo jack and the ESC... The aliexpress kit is setup different, it gets the motor's throttle setting from the main motor plug, eliminating signal conversion (and another weak link) circuitry. Also the new ESC mounts directly under the Rx board. Also I believe this mod operates on the 2c battery, negating having yet another box of batteries. (if i had a dollar for every 'better than stock battery' i have had, i could afford that kit) I await their BL answer to the to the stock tailmotor issue. Just my '2 euros worth'

Bit too wicked out this am... temp 7f (-14c) winds outta the north @ 8 mph w/gusts to 30 mph. Looking like its a good day to do the bat box repair I been putting off (prior crash, battery holder broke, after the battery slid foward and the C.o.G. went FULL FOWARD FLIGHT mode... lol Gonna reinforce the bat box with bits from the tail support tubes so the nano-techs will be sorted...
Happiness is a '45 dancing in the wind
Actually, I don't think anyone has had issues connecting the main motor ESC to the extra throttle servo plug. It is the tail motor that we had issues with.
Converting the main motor only requires the ESC and the motor. It is almost plug and play and requires no signal converter. The throttle servo plug outputs a standard pulse that the ESC can use.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:54 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Hi guys

Cheers
Fin
I agree with BThirsk. Very simple mod with the EH200 BL motor and 18A ESC. (and cheaper) Only 2 wires to solder on PC board. ESC servo plug goes to spare port on PCB. Here is a wiring diagram someone made awhile back showing the main BL motor conversion:
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1