HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:42 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
I had the F45 (old style) tx apart the other day, seen the 'antenna' is nothing more than a isotropic radiator... So I took the antenna/connector from a wifi wireless computer adapter and modded it. Now I have a detachable antenna thats 5.1 db gain over the isotropic one. Works out to be 1.7 times the prior output. Yes It has the angled ability like the stock one. Radio range'd it out to 2500 feet (762 m) before I grew weary of fighting the ice/snow... and that was with less than 'fresh' tx batteries. Thats range you can fly as far as you dare and be nowhere near the edge, even in worse case developements. well except for 'submarine flights'... LOL
flyin til i b dyin
Very interesting !
Could you post some photos, that mod could be very usefull.
I'm good in electronics but radiowaves and antennas are still mysterious for me !

Regards, Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:16 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
Quote:
Could you post some photos, that mod could be very usefull.
Agreed! Especially useful for us noobs that might otherwise loose a brand new heli to poor judgement...

My F645 should be here today. I've been following this thread for almost a month. Gonna be a long night!
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:26 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
I just bought my fourth F45 servo at Banggood contrary of what they advertised front an back servo are identical.
Are you absolutely sure about that fauconnier? Is the cable the same length too? I don't doubt you, but it's hard to tell when the cable in one picture is coiled...

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...8-p-46457.html
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...6-p-46453.html

Reason I ask is I downed in snow today. After I retrieved the heli I had no servo movement at all. Got home, unplugged everything, took a hairdryer to the board and the plugs and put it all together. Now everything seems to be OK apart from the fact that my aile servo sometimes twitches when I plug the battery in (haven't dared to try flying yet).

Reckon it's worth getting the servo out and trying to dry it out of the heli (never had one out before so don't really know properly what it looks like) or do you reckon I should just get a new servo ordered?

Thanks
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:25 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Are you absolutely sure about that fauconnier? Is the cable the same length too? I don't doubt you, but it's hard to tell when the cable in one picture is coiled...

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...8-p-46457.html
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...6-p-46453.html

Reason I ask is I downed in snow today. After I retrieved the heli I had no servo movement at all. Got home, unplugged everything, took a hairdryer to the board and the plugs and put it all together. Now everything seems to be OK apart from the fact that my aile servo sometimes twitches when I plug the battery in (haven't dared to try flying yet).

Reckon it's worth getting the servo out and trying to dry it out of the heli (never had one out before so don't really know properly what it looks like) or do you reckon I should just get a new servo ordered?

Thanks
Fin

Now, when I have a twitching servo, I ordered one. Most of the time the servo will jam soon. I voluntary ordered a cheaper rear servo, to put in front, at 7$ at Banggood and saw no difference. If wire is longer it is the rear one.
fauconnier is online now Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
High Gain TX antenna mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
So Bob have ya got some pics of the mod I would like to see how you fixed the aerial to the Tx as I have a few 2.4 and 5.2gig network cards that I can butcher and do the same to mine.
Sorry I dont have a camera thats decent, not to worry, this isnt as tough as you lads want to think.
The wifi adapter I used has a RF jack attached to the circuit board so the antenna can be detached. I unsoldered it, and set it aside for a tic. As to the tx, I took the fined cone-shaped part aloose from the base of the stock antenna, it will pop off easily (the part that is before the angle fitting). I cut it off at the bottom groove, just where the 'cone part' gets beefy, retaining the part that actually mounts the antenna assy to the tx. The hole is the right diameter to pass the RF jack, just the depth needs addressing. Countersink the hole from the big end of the cone. Handily, a 8 mm flat screwdriver tip will countersink the hole to the right diameter, I used a mill bastard file neck end to bevel the hole prior to starting with the screwdriver. This keeps the screwdriver square in the hole. Work the depth down til the antenna is snuggly screwed on AND the base of the antenna is against the flat top of the cone piece. (on mine it was 3.5 turns of the antenna to be snug, electrically) This will afford the maxium mechanical strength while assuring the connection is correct. Yes a drill bit thats the diameter of the RF jack's flange will work too. To keep the jack in the hole, i used a 1/8" flat metal bar, heated up like a soldering iron and melted the plastic 'collar' it is countersunk into, keeping it in place. A drop of ca finished the mounting ordeal.
As to the connection to the jack from the tx, the wee wire that was the antenna is actually coaxial cable. I trimmed mine back 8 cm from the far end, CAREFULLY cut 1 mm of the black insulation away, and CAREFULLY seperated the braided part from the center and twisted it to one side, so it is a 'y' just like the end attached to the TX board, tinned the ends then soldered to the jack, clear center conductor to the center pin and braid to one of the 'fingers' that previously held the jack to the circuit board. The notch in the cone's flange keeps it from turning in the tx.
Now, how do I tell if my wifi antenna is a gain model Bob... The joint where the antenna 'bends' will usually allow you to pop the top plastic cover off and peek at the actual radiator. A high gain one will have 2 things, obvious at once. These are a metal 'skirt', and the actual antenna will have a coil in its length (around 1/3 of the way from the skirt) and around 2/3rds more wire past the coil to the end. IF your antenna isnt constructed as such ITS NOT A GAIN ANTENNA. The above described antenna is a '3/4 wavelength groundplane' (a quarter wave radiator feeding a half wave radiator)
Lastly, there is no 'something for nothing' deals in this world, antennas included. The stock antenna radiates equally in all horis. directions, and mostly in the vert plane, think of a donut laying flat on a surface, the antenna is vert in the center of the donut... that donut describes the radiation pattern the radiator exhibits. (hope i didnt loose you yet) With a 'gain antenna' the mostly 'in all directions' radiation pattern is no longer expressed. The pattern is flattened in the vert. plane, like slowly flattening a donut, you see the range extends... This all-mind-boggling-stuff just means this, Keep the long side of the antenna pointed towards the bird, not pointing the end of the antenna towards it. I cant wait to hear how the lads like this one. Now the range of the 'toy' F45 TX is AT LEAST as much as the 600 dollar models (and I'd bet a bit more than theirs )
MORE BATTERYS ARE REQD, I cant stop flying
Cheers lads
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
BTW goes without saying, if any of you need assistance, dont hesitate to pm me. There is only ONE dumb question, thats 'the unasked question' And you ONLY want to use 2.4 gigahertz wifi antennae.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Bob, that is all way beyond me but it is very interesting that a mod like that can be done. Personally, I start losing track at 200 yards so I stay close.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
my v911 just caught a major puff of wind and flew outta sight :'( Pray the junk yard guys show up soon, so i can find it before the battery goes flat...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
dun everyone laugh at once...
MyFirstVid (5 min 28 sec)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:56 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
dun everyone laugh at once... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umT15eGLapU
What ? That looked just fine Tho funny how the camera made it look like you had a spot light shining. The white stuff everywhere doesnt look inviting either.

BTW , nice beard, good to see another old fart in here ya ride ?
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:48 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
Quote:
dun everyone laugh at once... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umT15eGLapU
Great 1st attempt Bob. Pity about your V911, bet you'd be OK if you could get past the big f*ck-off dogs. At least it ain't Sunday mate, hope you get your heli back.

Next time we want a ZZ-Top soundtrack to go with the beard

Fin

By the way, do you have Scottish ancestors or hang out with a bunch of Jocks? It's jist the way ye write sometimes, I cannae help but git tae wunderin...
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:59 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
692 Posts
Turnigy Muff

-10 deg. Cel. 15 deg. F. I just finish flying my Walkera and my F45 airwolf with the help of my turnigy muff. A bit too windy for the airwolf fuselage, at a one moment I was very happy to see the 2 big white lights in the front pointing at me. The all flat black fuselage is tough on my orientation. I will put some color marker on the belly.
The turnigy muff is well made, well insulated, lot of velcro. It will certainly be appropriate to big hands and big zillon ch. transmitter. Well balance with the help of a metal rack on top, I easily forgot it and concentrate myself on my flight. I am happy of my shopping.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20697
fauconnier is online now Find More Posts by fauconnier
Last edited by fauconnier; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: link added
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:10 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Servos

I am using these 9g servoes for the F45/450 and they do not seem to last very long. From what I can tell they are all pretty much the same until you hit the metal gear and then digital. Hate to use the metal gear for sake of the other moving parts, so are the digital servos really that much better?
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Before I screwed up my back I rode a Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD stage 2... It would run circles around them Biggs & Strappins... (and nae bled like a stuck pig) So quick, in fact, your posterior would try to grow teeth (to better grip the seat LOL)
War, the white spot is the $%^&*# vga camera's #%**$@ resolution... on my 'wish list' is an 808 #16 or if my gal in Mich gets another FREE Go-Pro, she gonna give me the 'last years model'
Tigg I hosted/hung out wid brits and aussies in the chatrooms for years... mine is a hodpodge of 6 different accents, and at least 5 different nationalities. and aye laddie I am scotish with a wee side of english mixed in
So many things... so few bucks lol
BTW I took the esc FET off the old style board and put it on the new style that had a 100% gyro... the wifey said 'guess we gonna order some parts for you huh' (I love it when they know your mind)
Happiness is MORE BATTERIES
Cheers lads
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:36 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Before I screwed up my back I rode a Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD stage 2... It would run circles around them Biggs & Strappins... (and nae bled like a stuck pig) So quick, in fact, your posterior would try to grow teeth (to better grip the seat LOL)
War, the white spot is the $%^&*# vga camera's #%**$@ resolution... on my 'wish list' is an 808 #16 or if my gal in Mich gets another FREE Go-Pro, she gonna give me the 'last years model'
Tigg I hosted/hung out wid brits and aussies in the chatrooms for years... mine is a hodpodge of 6 different accents, and at least 5 different nationalities. and aye laddie I am scotish with a wee side of english mixed in
So many things... so few bucks lol
BTW I took the esc FET off the old style board and put it on the new style that had a 100% gyro... the wifey said 'guess we gonna order some parts for you huh' (I love it when they know your mind)
Happiness is MORE BATTERIES
Cheers lads
That's interesting. I bought one of the first KZ1000LTD Kawis back in 1976. It was a great bike with lots of power. Mine had the rear swing arm high speed cornering bounce that most had. Only through me off once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter
I am using these 9g servoes for the F45/450 and they do not seem to last very long. From what I can tell they are all pretty much the same until you hit the metal gear and then digital. Hate to use the metal gear for sake of the other moving parts, so are the digital servos really that much better?
Digital don't really mean better, just usually faster. There are some good metal gear servos that would be much stronger. I'll look through my stock and see if any are the same size.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk