HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Aye cheers Fin.
I am about half way done with drawing out the '45 electronics board. Will be glad to share my 'findings' when done. The power circuits (main motor-tail motor-BEC) are straight foward and with no surprises. A note of caution: the motor circuits are at battery + potiental ALWAYS, this means the entire motor's circuit is 'hot' when measured to ground regardless of controller settings. (the FET switches ground NOT the battery +)
Tonight I will concentrate on the camera/led plug side. Anyone got a spare 'photon amplifier' I can borrow... my old eyes just dont seem to work as well as before. Hoping my 'pal' remembers I loaned him my o-scope years ago so I can get some waveform readings off the decoder chip. The reason for all this is this... I believe the encoder/decoder IC has more 'channels' than the published number (perhaps 8 or even 16 channels depending on whether its multiplexed) and that will be quite useful to me in future projects. Futaba used to make a cheap 2 channel rx/tx setup that proved to be 4 channels, and worked really well on aircraft at a fraction of the cost of a '4 channel' radio. I even named it "Bobtaba". LOL
Gawd, looks like the v911 batteries are gonna arrive before the v911 bnf (insert angry face here :@)... they came from the east coast while the copter started out in cali... go figure
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:22 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
The 9104 canopy looks great!

Agree
Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VCTRC 450 Pro V2 (T-Rex clone)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:07 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Dragging up an older post here:

Quote:
This (from memory) is the best for stock f45
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23820
Will require some minor mods to battery holder, but fits well otherwise and has right connectors.
Can I use the stock F45 charger with this, or do I need a different balance charger? Obviously a noob question, but my F45 should be here within a few days. I'd like to order a better battery or two.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:42 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Dragging up an older post here:

Can I use the stock F45 charger with this, or do I need a different balance charger? Obviously a noob question, but my F45 should be here within a few days. I'd like to order a better battery or two.
I would use a balancer on lipos, the reason is because you get both batterys up to the same volts,charge, I have a lipo charger for up to 6cells, and adjustable to 10 amps of charging. I charge all with 1x c rating (charging rate, not discharge rate ) Dont save here, your lipos are explosive and can catch fire.
1500 lipos at max 1.5 amps, 2500 2.5 amps. @ 1 hr time, batts are full.

Hope this helps ya

Frank
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:00 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Quote:
Hope this helps ya
Yes it does, thank you!

I'd seen discussions on the battery upgrades, but nothing on chargers. Obviously, I'm new to electric RC. Thanks again!
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:58 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Yes it does, thank you!

I'd seen discussions on the battery upgrades, but nothing on chargers. Obviously, I'm new to electric RC. Thanks again!
Some good economical charges. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1702786
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:11 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,665 Posts
charger

Been thinking about the Imax B6. I've seen it for a decent price in Germany without the power supply and was wondering if it needs its own dedicated power supply, or if it can be used with one of these "multi power supply" units with the appropriate connector?

Cheers
Fin

Edit
actually looks as though the power supply for my laptop would fit, but it gives out 19V. As far as I know that's too much
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiggertoo1962; Jan 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,471 Posts
I use a laptop power supply that has multiple voltage options. I've run it at 19v but usually keep it around 15v. I find the amperage is actually not enough to charge at more than ~1000mah without generating some low voltage warnings. I have another 12v power supply that puts out more amps and is good to about 2500mah.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I hated the look of the canopy and fake carbon fiber on the blades and side plates. Used laquer thinner to remove the paint from main blades, and a permanent marker to blacken out the sides on the aluminum, almost looks like a hobby grade heli now. Didn't buy the f45 for it's looks but for it's flying ability. Now it should fly even better, and the looks aren't so bad either. Can't wait till the brushless motor comes. Still thinking about a v912 when I get spring bonus check, if it flys like it's little brother it too should be a blast, and more suitable for in front of the house. Won't have to drive to the vacant lot.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:49 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,471 Posts
I had a wire magically "fall apart" on my RX/Tail battery immediately after landing the other day. I couldn't believe it. I was zipping around over the park area out back and had a nice flight. I brought the F45 in for a nice nose-in landing on my deck (I usually go tail-in to avoid hitting anything) and as soon as I powered down the negative wire fell off and was hanging there. I sometimes think these F45's are sentient.

Anyway instead of soldering the wire back on and flying... I've taken the whole thing apart and started modifying it. I'm upgrading to the 1500mah Nano-Tech (I think Bthirsk uses that one)I decided to try and put the rx in the battery slot and mount the battery on an angle like I've seen others doing here and on the 9116 threads. I don't think I'll be able to get the stock canopy on but I'm not terribly worried about that anyway. I might have to see if there's a larger canopy that'll fit or maybe just keep flying without one?

Anyway here are a couple of (poor quality) photos so far. I've since applied velcro from top, down the white plastic, and wrapped it around the bottom edge. I'm using gorilla glue and a few supporting strips of generic plastic to give the joins a bit more strength. For mounting the RX I was thinking to screw it right to the plastic bar that the battery used to sit on (near the skids). I'll have to build it up a bit as the bottom of the servo pins stick down too far.

Hopefully this all works out. I haven't done anything this extensive yet so I think it'll be messy but fun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:14 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Been thinking about the Imax B6. I've seen it for a decent price in Germany without the power supply and was wondering if it needs its own dedicated power supply, or if it can be used with one of these "multi power supply" units with the appropriate connector?

Cheers
Fin

Edit
actually looks as though the power supply for my laptop would fit, but it gives out 19V. As far as I know that's too much
Well, my 2 cents,

I myself use a pc psu (Power Supply Unit) 12volts 22amps to run the chargers I have. Google how to make a power supply from a psu. You have to connect 2 wires on the psu to simulate the on switch. The green1 (i think and a black 1)
But google to be sure.

Frank
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:41 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
PCB Modification

So I want to use the F45 camera on what is now no longer a F45/450 so I will need to mount the F45 PCB on the heli to operate the camera. I want to remove some of the components to make room for where I want to stick it, but I want to make sure that it will still be able to bind and operate the camera. I put an X on what I figure was safe and a ? on what I am not sure about. Figure some of the electronics buffs should be able to help me with this one.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I had a wire magically "fall apart" on my RX/Tail battery immediately after landing the other day. I couldn't believe it. I was zipping around over the park area out back and had a nice flight. I brought the F45 in for a nice nose-in landing on my deck (I usually go tail-in to avoid hitting anything) and as soon as I powered down the negative wire fell off and was hanging there. I sometimes think these F45's are sentient.

Anyway instead of soldering the wire back on and flying... I've taken the whole thing apart and started modifying it. I'm upgrading to the 1500mah Nano-Tech (I think Bthirsk uses that one)I decided to try and put the rx in the battery slot and mount the battery on an angle like I've seen others doing here and on the 9116 threads. I don't think I'll be able to get the stock canopy on but I'm not terribly worried about that anyway. I might have to see if there's a larger canopy that'll fit or maybe just keep flying without one?

Anyway here are a couple of (poor quality) photos so far. I've since applied velcro from top, down the white plastic, and wrapped it around the bottom edge. I'm using gorilla glue and a few supporting strips of generic plastic to give the joins a bit more strength. For mounting the RX I was thinking to screw it right to the plastic bar that the battery used to sit on (near the skids). I'll have to build it up a bit as the bottom of the servo pins stick down too far.

Hopefully this all works out. I haven't done anything this extensive yet so I think it'll be messy but fun!
I think you can pull it off. I use 1500mAh packs (not Nano-tech) and it looks like they will fit. The packs I use are about the same dimension as the stock pack.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:02 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,471 Posts
Thanks for that picture! Those packs seem smaller - are you running 2s? I'm using 3s for brushless.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Sorry, yes thats 2s.