Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:24 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambob View Post
hi, i'm James got my f45 (645) a few weeks ago and have had many fun flights with it when the weather and work has allowed, and have almost finished reading this complete thread when it hasnt (up to page 376)

i hope you find this info useful:-
the cable that will fit staight into the camera plug on pcb is i think is called a 'molex picoblade' but i'm not sure
i do however know its a 1.25mm pitch, 3 pin connector and i ordered this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1609474017...84.m1439.l2649

they have just arrived today and fit perfectly(see picture) its a shame that you have to order 10 but couldnt find any listing for less if anyone in uk wants one i'm happy to send
Hey Jambob welkies to the foremost '45 forum on Plant R/C. Good to hear you are reading the thread, over 99% of anything you encounter will be covered, as well as simple and wild mods. The simple mods will 'tighten' up the bird's flights, and protect the one part that tends to break (the dogbone guides on the head). Blade grip shims, ale horn swap, dogbone guide reinforcement, balanced main rotor blades, balanced flybar ... the rest is up to you.
Too bad I am half a world away, i got at least 3 different mods that would use the camera plug (retract landing gear, lights, drop mechanism for 'bombs'...)
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
... on the same topic...

do you also hard wire with solid core when you're doing the brushless conversion or does the cabling cease to be an issue then?

Reason I'm asking is that I have a 2nd F45 coming which I want to do the BL mod on and already have 2 spare motors on the way for my 1st F45 which I hope would do me til I have the BL finished. Once my first BL is finished I want to convert the other one, so don't know if the hard wire mod is worth the effort or if I should just swop out the motor a couple of times.

Fin
Good point, in your case I'd fly stock til the BL shows, will save on 'opps where did that smoke come from' moments.
Fin, the BL ESC is a high frequency poly-phase drive, (the DC current is converted into 3 phase high frequency current for the 3 phase BL motor) therefore stranded wire is indicated to reduce 'skin effect' current flow. (I'd bet the stranded wires are really small strands and lots of them)
Skin effect is the electrons tendency to only travel along the skin of the conductor, not equal across the cross-section... this isnt an issue with direct currents, its only with high frequency AC where that is a real issue.
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
As to powering anything from the 3.3 volt switched pin on the camera jack, I would be wary of that without a driver transistor between the load and the switched voltage. Reason I can say this is the camera plug has 3 pins... gnd, +5vdc, and switched 3.3vdc. That 3.3 volt rail is for turning on/off logic level devices... IE low current output. The 5 volts 'runs' the device. Mind you I havent taken the camera apart yet to confirm this. A few pages back I detailed a driver transistor setup that wont drag the BEC voltage down (the 5 volt source) as the 5 volt 'rail' runs the actual rx 'front end' and the servos. Pm me if you want a detailed 'how to'
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:04 AM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Zarrick's Avatar
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
So, after a few charges of my stock battery with stock charger, my battery went away... 3.25v on one cell, much higher on the other one. At first the battery was working OK, so maybe the problem is in the charger? Is there any option how to test the charger if its working correctly?
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:08 PM
Warrior
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to flying RC Helis however, have become very ADDICTED! I would like to get the F45/645. I have just learned that there are 2 versions of it along with different transmitters. Does anybody know what the difference is? Is one better?

Thanks
jwarrior is offline Find More Posts by jwarrior
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
131 Posts
xtreme Tail Motor Direct Drive

Hi there fellas, Whats up with everyone. Anyone screwing up like me. Well, after the tail hit the ground straight down, I managed to staighten it out but still had some gear mesh noise(slight bind), so this morning I decided to clean both motors like they were new doing the glass of water thing. The main motor sounds a lot better and stronger, however the tail motor bit the dust on first test hover after five minutes 3feet up so no damage. I have a tail unit on the way, another week to wait. Has anyone tried the xtreme Tail motor Direct Drive to see if it fits. On ThinkRC.com is where I found it bur naturally out of stock. My LHS carries E-Flite stuff. Any knowledge out there of making one of these work on the F45, please let me know. Thanks to whoever found that connector for camera port. I will need it for on/off LED's, So yeah, crap, I'm totally down now. Both heli's awaiting parts!:censored Also, anyone know when the F48 will be available? And, finally, Whats y'alls opinion on the F46. Another person asked me about the F45, and he wants the same but smaller. The F46 is just that Right or tell him F45 RULE's or same price What other heli. I want to tell him
WL922 so I can try it but he would crash it quick. All comments welcome and Keep On Flying. ScottHeli
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:07 PM
I'd rather be flying
baddb1's Avatar
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
Hi there fellas, Whats up with everyone. Anyone screwing up like me. Well, after the tail hit the ground straight down, I managed to staighten it out but still had some gear mesh noise(slight bind), so this morning I decided to clean both motors like they were new doing the glass of water thing. The main motor sounds a lot better and stronger, however the tail motor bit the dust on first test hover after five minutes 3feet up so no damage. I have a tail unit on the way, another week to wait. Has anyone tried the xtreme Tail motor Direct Drive to see if it fits. On ThinkRC.com is where I found it bur naturally out of stock. My LHS carries E-Flite stuff. Any knowledge out there of making one of these work on the F45, please let me know. Thanks to whoever found that connector for camera port. I will need it for on/off LED's, So yeah, crap, I'm totally down now. Both heli's awaiting parts!:censored Also, anyone know when the F48 will be available? And, finally, Whats y'alls opinion on the F46. Another person asked me about the F45, and he wants the same but smaller. The F46 is just that Right or tell him F45 RULE's or same price What other heli. I want to tell him
WL922 so I can try it but he would crash it quick. All comments welcome and Keep On Flying. ScottHeli
YUP! I screwed up yesterday when I took my F46 out for a quick flight at 3 degrees F !! I very slightly tipped it into a small tree branch and both main blades snapped off VERY easily!! I am assuming it was the extreme cold and the blades were brittle. On my F45 I have never broken a main blade, but then again I haven't flown in 3 deg. weather.

The little bit I flew the F46 before this happened I really liked it!! It flew very well with no "wobbling" dance like the F45 does. Hovers very nice too. I'd say it is an improvement over the F45, but , it is smaller.
Check out this thread for your friend: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800667
The F48 looks nice but then again it is even smaller than the F46 so I am not sure if I am going to buy one.

Good luck with your repairs!
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:53 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarrior View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to flying RC Helis however, have become very ADDICTED! I would like to get the F45/645. I have just learned that there are 2 versions of it along with different transmitters. Does anybody know what the difference is? Is one better?

Thanks
Hi jwarrior. Momma thinks there should be some sort of intervention for this addiction. LOL

First difference is the gyro on the PCB. The older version has the gyro standing up on the PCB, and the newer is laying down. You have already seen the different transmitters which is the only way to tell from the outside. Other than that they are the same heli, but the Tx and Rx are not compatible between the two versions.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Jan 24, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:25 PM
Registered User
RCMad39's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Armidale
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
the free black wire is battery return, needed because the '45 switches minus (not plus) to the main motor. I guess the reason why they used the main motor circuit to control the BL ESC was to eliminate the servo pulse converter...
I actually like that...
Do post how warm/hot this BL ESC gets after a good 10 min flight
And, is the ESC available seperately? 46.90 seems a bit much for wot I would do (bl200 + this esc)
Was advertised with a esc but as you can see from my pics this is what shows up , as for heat after a solid 11 min fly in 10 Kim hr winds it was just luke warm to touch Bob so I think IMO that it turned out all good in the end
RCMad39 is offline Find More Posts by RCMad39
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:54 PM
Registered User
tracker1955's Avatar
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
All mods completed

Hey guys, got my package today and was able to complete all the mods on my f45. It doesn't look the same anymore, and I'm very pleased with the results. Ran it up with the new motor and was smooth as silk. All balanced out, and the gear mesh reset, was much easier to spin by hand and didn't have the stiff clicky feel it had before. Check out the pics and let me know what you think.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
The 'wobbling' dance is the head parts are out of balance... Check the main rotor blade halves, I'd bet they are not equal weight... And check the flybar balance. I had a .2 gram difference in main blade halves... (the supplied extra main blades had 1 blade exactly on weight and the other was light) AND I had to ca a wee bit of solder to the light weight on the flybar. Disconnect the links from the flybar, it should move freely and allow you to determine its balance.
My first '45 was wobbly in the beginning, now stable as a rock.
Now would be a good time to check the C.o.G. too... pick the bird up by the flybar (with the main blades straight out and the flybar 90 degrees to the tail shaft to check the c.o.g. The bird will not 'lean' foward or aft if balanced properly.
Cheers lads and keep on flyin
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMad39 View Post
Was advertised with a esc but as you can see from my pics this is what shows up , as for heat after a solid 11 min fly in 10 Kim hr winds it was just luke warm to touch Bob so I think IMO that it turned out all good in the end
Excellent, RC... I really like the ESC that mounts under the RX board , and I like the lack of need for a servo pulse converter. you lot are making it rather difficult to say no to BL (hush John, i KNOW yur snickering) LOL
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:08 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
Hey guys, got my package today and was able to complete all the mods on my f45. It doesn't look the same anymore, and I'm very pleased with the results. Ran it up with the new motor and was smooth as silk. All balanced out, and the gear mesh reset, was much easier to spin by hand and didn't have the stiff clicky feel it had before. Check out the pics and let me know what you think.
The 9104 canopy looks great!
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMad39 View Post
Well all good so far and it handles like a dream . Here is the link just make sure you have a v2 although there is a v1 as well http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/210962347.html
Uploaded some pics of it but excuse the tape on the battery holder as waiting for a new battery tray and I am experimenting with higher amp batteries
Thanks for the link! I do have a V2... Just got it a few weeks ago and love it. I'll definitely try that upgrade as soon as I can get the wife to agree. ;-)
dralan is offline Find More Posts by dralan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:03 AM
Scotsman in Germany
tiggertoo1962's Avatar
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
Good point, in your case I'd fly stock til the BL shows, will save on 'opps where did that smoke come from' moments.
Fin, the BL ESC is a high frequency poly-phase drive, (the DC current is converted into 3 phase high frequency current for the 3 phase BL motor) therefore stranded wire is indicated to reduce 'skin effect' current flow. (I'd bet the stranded wires are really small strands and lots of them)
Skin effect is the electrons tendency to only travel along the skin of the conductor, not equal across the cross-section... this isnt an issue with direct currents, its only with high frequency AC where that is a real issue.
Cheers Bob, always good to get some of the theory behind the practice.

Fin
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion On self stabilising single-rotor helis (FP/CP) and comparison to quadcopters and coax LMF5000 Electric Heli Talk 10 Apr 13, 2014 02:59 PM
Discussion UAV systems Single Rotor vs Multi Rotor iskoos UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 2 Jan 06, 2012 10:51 PM
Question Upgrading from Co-Axial to FP Single Rotor Judo JoNny Electric Heli Talk 57 Sep 20, 2010 12:10 PM
Discussion Best FP single rotor 4 CH Heli? helinewbie617 Micro Helis 76 Oct 31, 2009 07:16 PM
For Sale will trade my orbiter coaxial for a fp or cp single rotor heli micro heli Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Sep 05, 2007 01:36 PM