HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:57 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
51 Posts
Thanks arrowshooter.
nolivy is offline Find More Posts by nolivy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:34 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
Hello to everyone enjoying the F45. My flight this morning was just with a little breeze up and down the street. However, halfway through the pack I landed and noticed the swachplate leaning way to the right, the servo horn was a notch down and was not like that when I did the mod and flew beautifully with all trimm at center. So, I stayed powered up so the servo would be level and removed the link and horn and moved up a notch and boom she flew right again. I dont get it but who cares, I'm flying it, thats what it was made for, just do your best at not crashing and if you do, attempt the best controlled crash you can. As for the thread change thats crazy because those modded up monsters started as an
F45 and I love them. So, to all of you who did this, get some regular video and post your flights. I for one would love to see them in action on this thread. Now, if you only had a one time chance to mod your F45, would you get a better battery or the BL Kit. Remember everyone here you get one choice, lets everybody pick and see which wins. Heres why I say this, my 10 flights seem to have gotten shorter with less power and a 2hr 41min charge cycle with stock charger.
I am going to fly her right now and I will report later and cast my vote soon. Thanks to all and go fly, thats what you bought it for! Cheers
gremlins... i had the same... swashplates go wonkie... i am wondering just how cheap the supplied servos are... i'd bet a wee investment in decent servos would sort that... where is John when we need his wealth of knowledge? oh right he is out flying
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:40 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
gremlins... i had the same... swashplates go wonkie... i am wondering just how cheap the supplied servos are... i'd bet a wee investment in decent servos would sort that... where is John when we need his wealth of knowledge? oh right he is out flying
I doubt the servos are the issue. After binding, if you move the stick and watch the servos, if they move smoothly full travel both ways, they are fine. I and many others have hundreds of flights and a few crashes and the servos have never been much of an issue. Mine are still original after 11 months.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:43 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
Hello to everyone enjoying the F45. My flight this morning was just with a little breeze up and down the street. However, halfway through the pack I landed and noticed the swachplate leaning way to the right, the servo horn was a notch down and was not like that when I did the mod and flew beautifully with all trimm at center. So, I stayed powered up so the servo would be level and removed the link and horn and moved up a notch and boom she flew right again. I dont get it but who cares, I'm flying it, thats what it was made for, just do your best at not crashing and if you do, attempt the best controlled crash you can. As for the thread change thats crazy because those modded up monsters started as an
F45 and I love them. So, to all of you who did this, get some regular video and post your flights. I for one would love to see them in action on this thread. Now, if you only had a one time chance to mod your F45, would you get a better battery or the BL Kit. Remember everyone here you get one choice, lets everybody pick and see which wins. Heres why I say this, my 10 flights seem to have gotten shorter with less power and a 2hr 41min charge cycle with stock charger.
I am going to fly her right now and I will report later and cast my vote soon. Thanks to all and go fly, thats what you bought it for! Cheers
I found that if I did not get the stock battery discharged down far enough I would also experience shorter flight time. Almost as if these batteries developed a memory. If I made sure (battery voltage alarm) the battery went down to 3.2 the run time almost doubled.

I would vote battery, then wait for the next one time chance and get the BL setup.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:31 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Bob -
Have used STP16NF06 as a long term replacement in the MJX F39 - which uses an identical motor (AFIK). TO-220, and should work here.
It will definitely not work as a substitute driver for the Xtreme BL converter, due to a peculiar consequence of a higher gate threshold - however, don't think you are traveling down this road atm.
Cheers
John
John, put your thinking cap on... will this sub: Fairchild Semiconductor Part #: FDP8860 N Channel Mosfet 30V 80A To-220
A bit of a time finding the above
cheers
bob
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
I must say, I am not convinced the BL mod is 'it'... and before the nae-sayers heat up, let me tell why. I keep getting words like 'lack of tail authority with BL main mod' and such... I am not exactly sure whether the tail motor mod is included in BL. Mine will already whirly-gig quite well, thank you.

This from Battery University: Lithium-ion is a low maintenance battery, an advantage that most other chemistries cannot claim. There is no memory and no scheduled cycling is required to prolong the battery's life. (as i believed)

Currently with the given parameters, I cant vote BL main, therefore I must vote Battery upgrade
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:18 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
per battery University on Li-ion batteries...
•Li-ion cells are very sensitive to charging characteristics and may explode if mis-handled.
•Strongly suggest that you use the matched Li-Ion battery charger to recharge the battery pack
•Charging temperature: 0 to 45 degrees Celsius
•Discharging temperature: -20 to 60 degrees Celsius
•Storage temperature: -20 to 45
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:11 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
fauconnier's Avatar
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
gremlins... i had the same... swashplates go wonkie... i am wondering just how cheap the supplied servos are... i'd bet a wee investment in decent servos would sort that... where is John when we need his wealth of knowledge? oh right he is out flying
I just bought my fourth F45 servo at Banggood contrary of what they advertised front an back servo are identical.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:19 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
fauconnier's Avatar
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
I just bought my fourth F45 servo at Banggood contrary of what they advertised front an back servo are identical.
I forgot, I noticed that they usually start to twitch a couple of flights before I crash because they have jam !! I like to have one in my spare parts drawer.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
95 Posts
update on new tx/rx and bl motor

update on my post on page 389 about the new tx/rx and bl motor
It will work if you insert a switch on the positive side (red) of the esc power imput.
1 initiate power to the board with esc switch OFF
2 bind
3 after a few seconds initiate power to the esc(flip switch)
It will operate normally now
BEWARE when you,re finished flying turn off power to the esc BEFORE turning off power to the board or turning off tx....If you don,t do this the motor will rev up briefly
when you shut off power to the board . ZDAWG
zdawg is offline Find More Posts by zdawg
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Hi guys,

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this. I've been trying to search for an answer here and elsewhere and have just come up empty.

I know that the balance bar is sold on several sites as a replacement accessory. However, I have yet to figure out how to remove mine. I see there are two ball joints which connect it to the main rotor blade joints. Those just pop out. However, there's a metal rod going through the middle of this thing connecting it to the main rotor shaft and I just can't figure out how to get that out. Do I just punch it through? Does the plastic around the sides bend enough for it to pop out? I can't find this info anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
dralan is offline Find More Posts by dralan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:40 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
gordonzo's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralan View Post
Hi guys,

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this. I've been trying to search for an answer here and elsewhere and have just come up empty.

I know that the balance bar is sold on several sites as a replacement accessory. However, I have yet to figure out how to remove mine. I see there are two ball joints which connect it to the main rotor blade joints. Those just pop out. However, there's a metal rod going through the middle of this thing connecting it to the main rotor shaft and I just can't figure out how to get that out. Do I just punch it through? Does the plastic around the sides bend enough for it to pop out? I can't find this info anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
What worked for me when removing the flybar pin was this:

Lay the flybar across a roll of tape with the pin over the opening. Take a sharp nail and carefully tap on the pin to get it started. It can take a couple of good whacks to get it moving. Then grab it with needle nose pliers.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:43 PM
Registered User
War Horse's Avatar
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Yes the pin just gets driven out using a small punch, this is easier when the head is off the heli.

Ooops, typing at the same time as Gordonzo...
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:02 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Happiness is buying from Hobby King's US warehouse and getting order in 3 days.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
What worked for me when removing the flybar pin was this:

Lay the flybar across a roll of tape with the pin over the opening. Take a sharp nail and carefully tap on the pin to get it started. It can take a couple of good whacks to get it moving. Then grab it with needle nose pliers.

regards . . . g
Thanks guys! I'm not sure quite what I did wrong. I had a really good run on my first battery. Then I let it cool down and put my 2nd battery in. As soon as I got some altitude, I noticed something was wrong. I tried to correct it, but somehow managed to flip upside down mid-air, then take a nose dive from about 50 feet up into the soft grass below.

Fortunately I fly over soft grass so the only damage taken was a broken plastic bracket that holds one of the blades to the main rotor shaft, and a bent balance bar. I ordered a parts kit from Amazon for $5.99 which has the plastic bit that broke, and I'm going to see if my job of straightening out the balance bar worked or not. If not, I plan to replace the balance bar, and now I know how!

Thanks again!
dralan is offline Find More Posts by dralan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion On self stabilising single-rotor helis (FP/CP) and comparison to quadcopters and coax LMF5000 Electric Heli Talk 10 Apr 13, 2014 03:59 PM
Discussion UAV systems Single Rotor vs Multi Rotor iskoos UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 2 Jan 06, 2012 11:51 PM
Question Upgrading from Co-Axial to FP Single Rotor Judo JoNny Electric Heli Talk 57 Sep 20, 2010 01:10 PM
Discussion Best FP single rotor 4 CH Heli? helinewbie617 Micro Helis 76 Oct 31, 2009 08:16 PM
For Sale will trade my orbiter coaxial for a fp or cp single rotor heli micro heli Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Sep 05, 2007 02:36 PM