Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:01 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsa View Post
Hey Guys,

i recently purchased the MJX F45. Today I made the first flight and this thing is awesome. I had really much fun.. This community here seems to be really big. Is there anyone who can recommend a good lipo replacement battery? I don't want to go through all the 389 pages.

Thank you and greetings from Austria,
Markus
Hey Markus

I fly mine stock (only had it a week) and find the original 1500mAh battery is fine as long as you're flying generally under 20m or so. Where I fly there are a whole bunch of "helicopter magnets" (read "trees") so since my skills are still at a fairly basic level, it's usually easier for me to escape vertically when I get into trouble . Even with my battery alarm set to 3.3V per cell due to the large drop when the battery's under full load, the buzzer often starts screaming at me although there's plenty of juice left. Purely for this reason I find the 2000mAh stock replacements good. Can get a 2-pack from German Ebay sellers for about 30 and don't need to mod anything.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2x-Akku-7-4-V...item460873dc79

Looks like this company normally only ships to GOD (Good Old Deutchland ) but you can probably find similar ones that go over the border too.

Welcome to the madhouse
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:05 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
Has anyone tried the new rx with a bl motor? I fitted a park 370 bl in my new F45 and upon binding the motor reved up to about 50% for about 3 seconds and then went to idle as it should...It was enough power to lift the heli...I tested and programed two other esc,s and motors and had the same result...I then tested the motor/esc with an old tx/rx combo...worked normally.....Guess I,m wondering if the new rx works this way or if mine is defective......Thanks ZDAWG
This could be really important, ZDAWG. I asked a few pages back if anyone knew why AliEx's 'brushless kit' supplier was offering 2 different versions for their kits, depending on upright gyro (original F45) or flat gyro (latest).
Your findings may well have a bearing on that.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
This could be really important, ZDAWG. I asked a few pages back if anyone knew why AliEx's 'brushless kit' supplier was offering 2 different versions for their kits, depending on upright gyro (original F45) or flat gyro (latest).
Your findings may well have a bearing on that.
It probably would be a good thing to find out because when it jumped off the ground upon binding ...it could be kinda dangerous and got my attention.....ZDAWG
zdawg is offline Find More Posts by zdawg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Mar 2009
131 Posts
Battery vs Brushless Kit

Hello to everyone enjoying the F45. My flight this morning was just with a little breeze up and down the street. However, halfway through the pack I landed and noticed the swachplate leaning way to the right, the servo horn was a notch down and was not like that when I did the mod and flew beautifully with all trimm at center. So, I stayed powered up so the servo would be level and removed the link and horn and moved up a notch and boom she flew right again. I dont get it but who cares, I'm flying it, thats what it was made for, just do your best at not crashing and if you do, attempt the best controlled crash you can. As for the thread change thats crazy because those modded up monsters started as an
F45 and I love them. So, to all of you who did this, get some regular video and post your flights. I for one would love to see them in action on this thread. Now, if you only had a one time chance to mod your F45, would you get a better battery or the BL Kit. Remember everyone here you get one choice, lets everybody pick and see which wins. Heres why I say this, my 10 flights seem to have gotten shorter with less power and a 2hr 41min charge cycle with stock charger.
I am going to fly her right now and I will report later and cast my vote soon. Thanks to all and go fly, thats what you bought it for! Cheers
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:37 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
Now, if you only had a one time chance to mod your F45, would you get a better battery or the BL Kit. Remember everyone here you get one choice, lets everybody pick and see which wins. Heres why I say this, my 10 flights seem to have gotten shorter with less power and a 2hr 41min charge cycle with stock charger.
I am going to fly her right now and I will report later and cast my vote soon. Thanks to all and go fly, thats what you bought it for! Cheers
BL kit, absolutely without question. If you keep the heli, it will pay for itself fairly quickly: and it offers a whole new world of power and wind authority.
My 2 cents!
John
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:22 PM
Joined Mar 2009
131 Posts
Fly Crash Charge Vote!!!!!!!!!

Hey John, I'll cast my vote for BL Kit as well because wind authority is everything. I just went to a small field and flew her and I over slid a turn and did not have the power to overcome the centrifigal force and caught some pine tree bristles I mean the edge and they stopped the tail(completely) and down she came. Luckily from only 12ft up. Damage report: Minor bend in flybar, locking tab on canopy bottom broke(I glued it), jarred loose homemade heatsink(glued back), finished the battery which seemed short. I am recharging with an Art Tech adjustable from .3 to 1.0 charger to see if it balances or charges better. I may have ran the battery too low yesterday. However, I think the better battery with less weight in conjunction with a Brushless Kit is the answer. Man I like no wind now!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your advise.
ScottHeli
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:24 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Been thinking some more about your 'collate the important stuff, and close the thread' idea (and your kind offer to be the collator).
But feel your though your idea may have validity, your quote above suggests that perhaps - if we are to go this way - it would be better to have someone with a lot of experience here doing the editing. I'd suggest Gordonzo himself, BThirsk, or Markkona as being pioneers here: I know I've learned a lot from them.
But it would take the judgement of Solomon to work out what should be kept, imo. You may feel (eg) my 'Frankencopter' to be of no interest here - but (if so), why 50+ pageviews of pics?.
And there's ongoing contributions of interest, too. Fauconniers findings re yaw affecting cyclic - affects stock F45s, was of great interest to me and many others, and new to these pages.
As Bob says, there are a great many nuggets of interest spread through all 380 pages here, covering all aspects of things F45 related No-one is forced to read them all, but at least anyone can choose to: Rexless' great videos are hardly essential, but have offered inspiration to me, and I'm sure again - many others.
And the F45 thread is FAR from the biggest in rcgroups.
There is a social aspect here, too. So my vote is to leave things as they are, but perhaps another thread or sticky of basic mods for newcomers. In the interim, these (approved by both Markkona and Gordonzo) are listed on my blog.
Cheers
John
My 2 cents worth.
I think, even though this thread is large, and growing larger every day, it is still the premier thread for the F45. It's very much like any thread that has grown popular, it gets large. Why create another thread and fragment the group. Each of us that does lots of mods can easily list them in our blog area.
What would be nice is to have a sticky on the first page where we could list all the blogs to make the information more easy to access. I have no idea how to do that. On my own web forum, myself and the other administrator are able to do this, but it does not seem possible here.
The new thread started for the extreme 450 mods is a great idea to separate what is really not a MJX F45 anymore, and even mine, which still uses the basic frame, really is not much F45 either. It is not even the same size anymore as its over 2 inches longer. Maybe we need a poll to find out how everyone feels. I personally don't care one way or the other if we have 2 threads. I will read them both. I read 9 others on each of the other helis I have so what's one more.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
My 2 cents worth.
I think, even though this thread is large, and growing larger every day, it is still the premier thread for the F45. It's very much like any thread that has grown popular, it gets large. Why create another thread and fragment the group. Each of us that does lots of mods can easily list them in our blog area.
What would be nice is to have a sticky on the first page where we could list all the blogs to make the information more easy to access. I have no idea how to do that. On my own web forum, myself and the other administrator are able to do this, but it does not seem possible here.
The new thread started for the extreme 450 mods is a great idea to separate what is really not a MJX F45 anymore, and even mine, which still uses the basic frame, really is not much F45 either. It is not even the same size anymore as its over 2 inches longer. Maybe we need a poll to find out how everyone feels. I personally don't care one way or the other if we have 2 threads. I will read them both. I read 9 others on each of the other helis I have so what's one more.
Make that four cents. Everything should be one-stop-shop and do a search to find an answer. Besides, threads like the v911 thread has over 1,000 pages.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:54 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,454 Posts
I'm happy with the forum continuing as is. I read most of the talk and learn tons. Newbies can be politely asked to hit page 1 or arch for term x as needed. If someone compiled a manual like stormforce (RIP) did for dh9116 then we could just post links to that from time to time.

Back on pages 164/165 balR was talking about virtual orientation on a MWC X250. Has anyone seen something like this to install on a custom quad?
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsa View Post
Hey Guys,

i recently purchased the MJX F45. Today I made the first flight and this thing is awesome. I had really much fun.. This community here seems to be really big. Is there anyone who can recommend a good lipo replacement battery? I don't want to go through all the 389 pages.

Thank you and greetings from Austria,
Markus
Hey Brunsa welcome to the best group of R/C addicts on planet hobby. And CONGRATS on purchasing the F45, I believe the best 300 class FP entry level copter. as to aftermarket batteries, the lads swear by them turnigy nano-tech 2000 mAh 20c LiPo units. The link is all over like a rash... lol
I got 2 of them, they do provide a bit more punch, as well as longer flight time. The turnigy requires some battery-box mod as it is approx 2 cm longer. That mod, as well as the more req'd ones are burried in this thread. Look for these: Main Blade grip shims, Dogbone guide reinforcement, Ale horn swapping, Weighing/balancing the main rotor blades, Balance the flybar, Assuring C.O.G. is correct, as well as the all important triming the sway box... And you will have a bird that hovers hands free, and is rather fun to fly. I fly regularly, I crash, and I fly more, this one can take the 'learning curve' abuse and still fly like a spendy one.
The lads done alot of 'wild' mods too, the sky is the limit here: search BL main motor mods
Always good to see another new face with that 'F45 grin'
cheers lads
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
It probably would be a good thing to find out because when it jumped off the ground upon binding ...it could be kinda dangerous and got my attention.....ZDAWG
I BET your sphincter tightened up rather abruptly... i was wondering about that too...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:19 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I'm happy with the forum continuing as is. I read most of the talk and learn tons. Newbies can be politely asked to hit page 1 or arch for term x as needed. If someone compiled a manual like stormforce (RIP) did for dh9116 then we could just post links to that from time to time.

Back on pages 164/165 balR was talking about virtual orientation on a MWC X250. Has anyone seen something like this to install on a custom quad?
Yes me and Stormforce (Mick) (RIP) did this but it was done because we can't do a Sticky Post here at RC groups, I agree that really all we can do is a blog but it would be better for individuals that have come up with the mods to do their own Blog as trying to put it all together in one blog could only be done the way me and Mick did it for the DH9116 thread as we were both collaborating with the modding etc of the DH9116 and discussing it on a day to day basis.

So If we got everyone to do their own blog and then after that was done you could then colaborate all of them together in the one blog or reference in the blog to the respective peoples blogs that have the information regarding the F45.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:21 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Lads I got a good day of flying in... everything was sweet until the bird started with the 'whirleygig' bit. (spinning vert axis) I landed, seemed the tail was either full on or acting right, it was not doing either for very long. rebound the rx, and it seemed good to go (for just long enough for me to romp it down range 100 yds) THEN went into death-spin... I thought it was gonna rip the tail off it got going so good... anyways, i got it down, back to the house i dont find anything wrong, subb'd the tail, no probs, accidentally touched the gyro and it went nuts... soldered the gyro connections and it still isnt happy. what am i missing here. I understand the relationship the tail motor atains is 'the gyro is between the tail motor and the supply' it can act on the tail without tx input, AND acts on the tail with tx input too... as well as it is tied to the throttle. What am i missing? is the gyro dead? someone please give me voltage readings (referenced to ground) on the 4 gyro pins . this is an old style rx board (gyro stands up)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:53 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
Lads I got a good day of flying in... everything was sweet until the bird started with the 'whirleygig' bit. (spinning vert axis) I landed, seemed the tail was either full on or acting right, it was not doing either for very long. rebound the rx, and it seemed good to go (for just long enough for me to romp it down range 100 yds) THEN went into death-spin... I thought it was gonna rip the tail off it got going so good... anyways, i got it down, back to the house i dont find anything wrong, subb'd the tail, no probs, accidentally touched the gyro and it went nuts... soldered the gyro connections and it still isnt happy. what am i missing here. I understand the relationship the tail motor atains is 'the gyro is between the tail motor and the supply' it can act on the tail without tx input, AND acts on the tail with tx input too... as well as it is tied to the throttle. What am i missing? is the gyro dead? someone please give me voltage readings (referenced to ground) on the 4 gyro pins . this is an old style rx board (gyro stands up)
Did you had a crash were the canopy hit the gyro ?
I had this once, and the little PCB wich supports the gyro was broken just above the solderings, it was barely visible with blank eyes.
I unsoldered the gyro's PCB, scratched the green varnish above the 4 solderings so the copper tracks were blank, applied a little soldering on the tracks to cover the cracks, and resoldered the gyro on the Rx board.

Roland
Rollmops67 is online now Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:37 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
Hey John, I'll cast my vote for BL Kit as well because wind authority is everything. I just went to a small field and flew her and I over slid a turn and did not have the power to overcome the centrifigal force and caught some pine tree bristles I mean the edge and they stopped the tail(completely) and down she came. Luckily from only 12ft up. Damage report: Minor bend in flybar, locking tab on canopy bottom broke(I glued it), jarred loose homemade heatsink(glued back), finished the battery which seemed short. I am recharging with an Art Tech adjustable from .3 to 1.0 charger to see if it balances or charges better. I may have ran the battery too low yesterday. However, I think the better battery with less weight in conjunction with a Brushless Kit is the answer. Man I like no wind now!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your advise.
ScottHeli
Not sure of your solution. I always fly with some wind, and up to a certain point, I love it. You were turning clockwise, probably against the wind, gave a lot of rudder, and the cyclic return to neutral and it strart to slide. The best thing to do is simply to change your mind and turn left. The wind will help you, Rc heli love to turn left

The normal brushless kit for the main motor won't give you a better hold of the tail, it is worst. More power, more rotation, more sliding, more rudder, less cyclic, less bank turn.....Or you change everything: brushless tail, normal receiver, gyro, brushless main it's cool but it is no more a F45.

IMHO change your mind and turn left....
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier