HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:07 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
It is with much sorrow that I need to find another forum for my #2 F45/450 build. It has been fully transformed to a plain old FP450 conversion using only the F45 rotor and blades. So far I have not been able to get to the park, but I have flown four packs out back and this thing is smooth as butter. It is weird that the rubber band trick to the elevation servo followed to this build, but oh well it works. The adjustments on both the 4 in 1 receiver's gyro and on the Tx make it so easy to get use to the all the extra responsiveness I have on tap. (Note the ding in the nose from when I had no idea what all the adjustments were for.) On the Tx for instance, I can flip a switch and limit the throttle/lift to an adjustable limit, and I can flip another switch and limit the cyclics to 50% of set value. Pretty sweet!

I have more plans for it, including "flybarless" but here is the current tally:

Align Clone CP450 kit
MJX F45 rotor and blades
Hobbymate 3800kv motor 13T
Hobbywing 40A ESC
Tower Pro 9g cyclic servos
Walkera digital rudder servo from the V200D01
Walkera RX2437V Rx from the V200D01
Walkera 2403 Tx
2200mAh 2s lipo

My #1 F45/450 still has the F45 Rx, rotor and tail so he will still be around.

Thanks to OldOZ and BThirsk for their originality, help and support with the F45/450 conversions, along with all other support from the MJX F45 forum. You/We are truly an amazing group. (no crying now)

Steve
Probably should start a new thread. I have as we'll so little left on mine. Just the blades and frame. Even the flybar is not MJX anymore. Skids will be Tarot 450 next week. Everything from the body back is custom. You start one , we'll be there.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2009
131 Posts
4 Flights No Crash

I got 4 awesome field flights today. Two with the little DH-9113. Oh and I had ZERO wind. I had the Cobra doing wide open banked to the right turn circuits 15-20 ft up and could funnel down as I eased off the throttle and climb them back up with speed by letting off the aileron a little. Cool little three channel. Then I broke out the F45 and it was Awesome with room to fly and no wind. I was in a 30% right banked turn at probably as fast as it is capable of and I was able to slightly reduce rudder and aileron and then pull back a little on cyclic while gunning the throttle and it would climb while leaning back for maybe 30yds then I hardened the right turn and full forward cyclic while reducing throttle from that high and it came 8ft above my head wide open and I actually managed slowing all that speed to the left and was just amazed at how it flew with no wind. It was a thrill. I later got to do it again at a camp ground my buddy lives at with a little breeze in front of 20 out of town campers and it flew great and they all wanted one so I told them how. I think I just sold some F45's. Cant wait til tomorrow! Cheers!
ScottHeli
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:33 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post
thx for the tips
On banggood, i read there are 2 versions of the heli
Do you know what the differences are between the old and new?
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...l?currency=EUR

new one has a different remote too, but i wonder what the differences are in the heli...
perhaps the heat is being dealed with?
I have one of each. There is no significant difference. The protocol is not the same, you can't use the transmitter with the other heli. Right now, you will get the best price at Aliexpress, $83 U.S. for the new model, with the small package, a safer way to ship.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Hello!
Just bumping in here...
Let me start with introducing myself.
I'm 34y old and i live in Belgium
As a kid, i controlled lots of rc boats and and a rc car
Time passed and i gave up the hobby but i always wanted a heli.
Perhaps now the time has come, cause at work, there are 2 people flying helis...
So , i cant wait to buy one...

I've been looking at many helis, but this MJX-f45 looks very promissing.
I know i should get a double bladed heli first, but i dont like that, (most are too small) and i really like this model... It has a nice length, looks good, get good reviews and is cheap !
I might buy it at banggood... i dunno if that will cause problems, for ex to charge batteries in belgium...

But my main question is, is this heli a good start...
Or is it really a no go.. too hard to start...
I know i will have to start with basics.. just go up and hoover, down again etc .. and take it step by step...
I wont rush into things...
So, should i take the jump or consider it...
thx !
welkies to the f45 forum, Skank. Read the thread,from the beginning, and you will be as knowledged about the '45 as any. All simple mods are covered, as well as the 'wild ones'. The F45 is good for anyone with basic flight skills to enter the 300 class r/c FP heli club. This one will hover hands free (in case it dont already) with just the most basic of setup. Personally I fly mostly stock (only the simple mods have I done) and i get 6-7 min flights on the stock battery. Aftermarket batteries are available, as well as about any part on this one. So when you finally break it, parts are available and priced to please. All in all, I cannot think of a better bird, cheap, sturdy, flies well, and most of all, when i crash, i fly again the same day.
Enjoy
Bob
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP614 View Post
Has anyone bought or tried this coversion kit?

http://www.topstoys.com/new-free-shi...em-p-3532.html
Jp, the fellows say that this is a spendy BL kit, I asked too... They say a BL motor/controller/11.2v battery is well below that price if bought at HK
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
I got 4 awesome field flights today. Two with the little DH-9113. Oh and I had ZERO wind. I had the Cobra doing wide open banked to the right turn circuits 15-20 ft up and could funnel down as I eased off the throttle and climb them back up with speed by letting off the aileron a little. Cool little three channel. Then I broke out the F45 and it was Awesome with room to fly and no wind. I was in a 30% right banked turn at probably as fast as it is capable of and I was able to slightly reduce rudder and aileron and then pull back a little on cyclic while gunning the throttle and it would climb while leaning back for maybe 30yds then I hardened the right turn and full forward cyclic while reducing throttle from that high and it came 8ft above my head wide open and I actually managed slowing all that speed to the left and was just amazed at how it flew with no wind. It was a thrill. I later got to do it again at a camp ground my buddy lives at with a little breeze in front of 20 out of town campers and it flew great and they all wanted one so I told them how. I think I just sold some F45's. Cant wait til tomorrow! Cheers!
ScottHeli
(Y)Scott sounds you got 'er dialed in. I got 4 , no make that 3 great flights in this morning... just enough wind to give me fun. Last run had 'whirleygig' issues, when I got her to the earth she was on the wrong side of the airport fence. Thank the GODS of R/C the lads were at L&P air, they let me go on airport property and get ma bird. Oh yea they mentioned my flying on ANY airport RoW was a serious no-no (like i didnt know this already) and sent me on ma way... Got a good video, still trying to edit/mate to music. One thing I checked, the flybar balance... it was NOT balanced... ca'd a wee bit of solder to the light side, now no vibrations
P.S. I own both old and new style F45... only difference i can tell is the old rx WONT bind to the new tx, and of course the '7' shaped dogbones. Both fly quite similar.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
I recall something about the gyros and cold temps... i fly below zero c regularly, some days it is 8-10 below zero c, and I have had no issues with the gyro. I can for sure say this, the dinky motors like the cold temps, so far I have seen 111 degrees f (almost 44c) external main motor temps. (after 11 min flight) and a 7-7.5 degree/min 'rate of rise' (this on a 98% stock F45 with only a home-made heatsink)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
51 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

Will the stock F45 charger charge this battery? Thanks.
nolivy is offline Find More Posts by nolivy
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
51 Posts
What are the best battery upgrade can you suggest for f45? needed for longer flight times and stay in the air.... thanks
nolivy is offline Find More Posts by nolivy
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
John do You know of a good sub for the STB80NE esc FET in a TO-220 case?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
John do You know of a good sub for the STB80NE esc FET in a TO-220 case?
Bob -
Have used STP16NF06 as a long term replacement in the MJX F39 - which uses an identical motor (AFIK). TO-220, and should work here.
It will definitely not work as a substitute driver for the Xtreme BL converter, due to a peculiar consequence of a higher gate threshold - however, don't think you are traveling down this road atm.
Cheers
John
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
I have one of each. There is no significant difference. The protocol is not the same, you can't use the transmitter with the other heli. Right now, you will get the best price at Aliexpress, $83 U.S. for the new model, with the small package, a safer way to ship.
ship to belgium too?
skank is offline Find More Posts by skank
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:35 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
ship to belgium too?
Only supplier at this price (as far as I can see) in Ali Ex is Shenzen Huowang.
They gave me a world of pain with my order (Ali finished up giving me a refund), and have given others on rcgroups - and even in this thread - angst as well.
Of course, they may have lifted their game by now. But I'll never deal with them again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:05 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolivy View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

Will the stock F45 charger charge this battery? Thanks.
Yes, but slowly.

Edit: Sorry, a bit glib. It'll charge your 2k nano fully only a little more slowly than the stock battery: but the new battery is capable of a much faster charge rate (if you need it). For this you'd need a better charger.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 20, 2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:12 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
I recall something about the gyros and cold temps... i fly below zero c regularly, some days it is 8-10 below zero c, and I have had no issues with the gyro. I can for sure say this, the dinky motors like the cold temps, so far I have seen 111 degrees f (almost 44c) external main motor temps. (after 11 min flight) and a 7-7.5 degree/min 'rate of rise' (this on a 98% stock F45 with only a home-made heatsink)
I've flown my F45 extensively this winter, sometimes at or below -10 c. I've had a couple flights where things seemed a little off but I figured it was pilot issues. Then last week I had one flight that was nuts. The tail was not responding normally but wasn't failing. Later I flew at home and everything was normal. I've flown since with no alterations except warmer weather and it's been fine ever since. My unscientific conclusion is that the weather got me.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rexless; Jan 20, 2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: typo