HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
I been giving the LED lit wings for night flying a great deal of thought. First looked at wee batteries on the wing, then I looked at the modded sway box assy... Spinning 40-50% additional to the main wing weight, nope... and the sway box is bit much considering the clearances... Got to looking at the hollow tube, its mechanical relationship with the head, and came up with this. Making an 'end of shaft' rotating contact is quite easy, a small screw with a insulated wire attached to the thread end, mounted in the gear end (insulated of course) of the shaft serves as the rotating part. A leaf contact mounted on a plastic support (under the main gear) would handle the supply side. As to the return path, mount a small leaf (i intend to use the 'brush' leaf outta a small hobby motor) and mount it on the lower ball bearing support. The top of the hollow pipe is fixed to the rotor head, so handling the electrical connections wont require rotating elements, just flexible leads across the blade grips. I believe that a small hole drilled at the top of the inner depth where the hollowpipe fits wont degrade the strength. The wire (positive bat lead) would fit through this and attach to the common point feeding the wings. The return lead simply attaches to the screw that fixes the head to the hollow pipe. Series resistance could be put on the positive leaf, fusing the rotating part. The Blade mods have been covered to the Nth degree, so I wont bother that.
As to the flexible leads, the wire from headphones (them earbud style) is a really good choice, super flexible (the actual wire is ribbon wound around a carrier), light weight, and both conductors are housed in 1 lead.
Some food for thought...
cheers lads
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Last edited by BobTopofTheWorld; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: old age lol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
By the way, when I was working on my heli I thought I would look at the balance of the fly bar as I had noticed a little vibration when I spooled it up in my hand. Found it to be off so I filed the heavy sides weight until I had a perfect balance. When I checked it in my hand again, the vibration seemed to be gone, so even though the blades were ok, the fly bar was off. With all the tweeks this should fly better than ever, but still not sure what can be done about the canceling issue on yaw input. Wonder if that's built into the transmitter, but no way to test with another bird as it doesn't bind to anything else. Maybe one of you electronics wizards will figure it out. Would be nice if we could turn it off somehow. Tom
Found my rudder @ 100%... turned down to 60% and just as described the rudder doesnt cancel the cyclic now, and still got plenty of rudder... Seems this is the solution. Thanks Roland
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Mar 2009
131 Posts
Rudder %

I just went to the field for the first time and for a test flight after tail repair. There is still some tail noise(very little) in the mesh but she flies. I did some low FFF, then some right banked turns and yes my rudder was to sensitive. I too will lower it to 60% for the next flight and test that. My aileron servo link is catching on the canopy which is an easy fix. No hard vibrations so charging her up for another flight after lunch. Enjoyed Flying the F45! You can not beat it as far as what you get for what you pay period. Enjoy ScottHeli
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:50 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Man View Post
Here is a pic of what I'm doin,
gonna paint it just like this,
Like in the pic, all scoops and covers were included in the kit,
This is how my bird will look. Wheels and all, will try to use the camera button for wheel retraction, hope it works

I present you my F45 airwolf. Adds 45 gr. to the stock F45.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:36 AM
Flying mostly pop-wings now.
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
Very cool, where did you get the body from?
ashtodust2000 is offline Find More Posts by ashtodust2000
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
NICE!!! Now get your self setup with a brushless main and you won't have to worry about that beauty falling out of the sky.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Lads that Airwolf body looks right nice. I am curious as to how she flys, 45 gms is close to reported max lift... do post flight report
Just had a closer look, my my the lower chassi is gone, do weigh the lower chassi w/bat holder and let me know how much.
Last edited by BobTopofTheWorld; Jan 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: still old
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:04 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Very nice. Where did you say you got the body?

And don't worry about the 45gm. my first battery was 45gm heavier than stock.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:06 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtodust2000 View Post
Very cool, where did you get the body from?
It is the canopy of the Lie Bao 8019. You can get the fuselage, battery door, motor hood for less then 14$ shipped !! plus a bag of 100, 2mm x 8mm screws and 2 days work.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:12 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
NICE!!! Now get your self setup with a brushless main and you won't have to worry about that beauty falling out of the sky.
I have one brushless F45 for real fun.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:15 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
Lads that Airwolf body looks right nice. I am curious as to how she flys, 45 gms is close to reported max lift... do post flight report
Just had a closer look, my my the lower chassi is gone, do weigh the lower chassi w/bat holder and let me know how much.
The battery rack + landing+ fins = 70 gr.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:20 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Very nice. Where did you say you got the body?

And don't worry about the 45gm. my first battery was 45gm heavier than stock.
I would say , with the stock battery for now, it flies in between a big co-axial and a stock F45 !!! Need a lot more throttle, 100 % more sensitive to the wind ( but better then a co-axial ) , a wonderful growling sound in gift.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:47 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,192 Posts
Quote:
I LOVE IT!! I ordered one too! What kind of mods did you have to do to get it attached? Besides screws and canopy do I need anything else?
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:02 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I LOVE IT!! I ordered one too! What kind of mods did you have to do to get it attached? Besides screws and canopy do I need anything else?
2 pieces of wood you can see in the picture, changing the angle of the tail. I made it one week ago from a new board F45, never flown, I ordered just for that. Make me an offer I will sell it to you.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:17 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Well, I've read about Fauconniers foundings about the cyclic becoming neutral when giving rudder input, and was wondering, because with my F45's I'm able to do banked turns.
So I did the thest with disconnected motors.
I also have the phaenomena, and saw it is in fact proportionnal to the rudder input (the more rudder, the more the cyclic goes back to neutral).
But I realized that even at full left or right rudder I had about the half of the cyclic movement remaining.
Then I remembered that in my Tx, I have set the rudder to 60%, (what I find sufficient, it's still reactive enough).
So in real conditions flight (I fly on a wiiide meadow), when I do large turns (> just a little rudder input), there is allmost no reduction in cyclic (that explain why I'm able to do nice banked turn in fast flight).
And when I turn with lots of rudder input, it's more often when I do manoeuvres at slow speeds, so the remaining cyclic movement is enough.

Just my 2 (euro)cents

Roland
I tried the 60% rudder this afternoon. I must admit that the bank turns where better, especially when a lot of aileron is asked prior to the turn but they still doesn't last very long.