HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Please excuse my lack of knowledge and experience with variable pitch. If you used the 450 head that arrowshooter posted, could the regular 4ch setup be created so that alieron and elevators are as per normal and the third servo which I thought was to manage pitch be assigned to the dial (in attached photo)? Would that create a variable fixed pitch?
I have zero knowledge of how all that CP stuff really works. In looking at how the head is designed, it appears that in order to adjust the pitch, all three servos either move up or down together, so I assume that the 3rd servo is needed to keep it all even. What I do not know is if that same third servo opperates in conjunction with the other two during cyclic motion, I also assume that it does. I would conclude that if you had the "3rd wheel" so to speak anchored in one spot via the servo during normal FP flight, the cyclic motion would be limited as in say the DH 9104.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I have zero knowledge of how all that CP stuff really works. In looking at how the head is designed, it appears that in order to adjust the pitch, all three servos either move up or down together, so I assume that the 3rd servo is needed to keep it all even. What I do not know is if that same third servo opperates in conjunction with the other two during cyclic motion, I also assume that it does. I would conclude that if you had the "3rd wheel" so to speak anchored in one spot via the servo during normal FP flight, the cyclic motion would be limited as in say the DH 9104.
I am pretty familiar with CPs, both flybar and flybarless.
If you use flybar, you have 3 servo mix in your TX.
You would set the pitch to whatever you want and the swashplate would move up with all 3 servos together. ELV input would raise or lower the ELV servo and at the same time would move the Pitch and AIL servo the opposite direction.
AIL input would move the AIL either up or down and move the pPitch servo the opposite direction.

In a flybarless, you set Your TX to one servo and the flybarless controller handles the mixing similar to what is above.

Your pitch curve, which would be flat to simulate a fixed pitch, is fully configurable in the TX.

If your new to this, I would suggest trying the flybar unit first and adding at least 3 weights on the flybar. At least the flybar does have a little self stabalizing effect, but not much.
The flybarless only stabalizes to maintain orientation so if you set the heli dead level, it will stay there. If you have it at a 10 degree incline, it will stay in that orientation until it hits the ground or you correct it. That is how all mine work, even the 6 axis MasterCP.

ps:
longer blades will also help stabilize your heli.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...in_Blades.html
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Last edited by BThirsk; Jan 18, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Mar 2009
85 Posts
Tail Crash Tough Bird

Well Guys I got home to no wind today and thought perfect for flying. I lifted off and went up and down the street about 10 times when I should have went to the field but it was getting close to dark and I got interupted just a second about the dog(dam it). Well with my eyes off for that short moment, the F45 backed between 2 small limbs and I chose to cut the throttle to eliminate damage. About 15 feet up I knew I could get it. As I started walking over to retrieve her from her first crash I thought cool it can take that. At that very moment she fell straight to the ground tail first. Luckily in some soft mud but it hit hard. As I was cleaning the mud out with tail assembly opened up I could see the motor shaft was bent. I straightened it with needle nose. I ran it and it ran true but seemed noisy. It also has bent the two pieces left of rear case where motor goes through open a little bit and did not want to go back causing gear mesh to be too tight which I super glued and clamped and that seemed to work. After that I felt like the meshing of the gears was tight and that was the noise. Well, I was wrong because I never listened to it with no tail blade on. I put the tail blade back on, hand held ran it and the noise was gone, so Wheeeeeeww!!!!!!!!!!! I just might have really gotten that lucky. I will find out tomorrow. All the rest of the Heli's I've ever had would have snapped the tail and probably broke something else to. Wow, if it flys right tomorrow with no vibrations and noises I will not have to wait on parts. If it does not and makes gear mesh noise shes grounded until I get a tail assembly. I think its just about as cheap to get the whole tail rather than separate parts, and believe me I hope not because I dont want to wait. I only have the spare blades that came with it. I'm going to do another hand held run so I'll sleep well. Y'all wish me luck and thanks for all the mod help. It really did help it, especially when it was calm. It flew nice, even banked it a little to the right. Cheers ScottHeli
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:18 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2012
120 Posts
Thought you guys might be interested in a mini report on the latest addition to my fleet. I now have 10 copters in the fleet, down from 17. The latest two are WL Toys V912s, and I must say, I really liked how they handled in a 6 knot breeze today. I plan to get some more flights in tomorrow as the weather here is nice. The temperature was in the high 50’s today and sunny. I ordered these primarily because of their size (16 inches overall length). I have a two acre yard, with trees and other obstacles, and I found controlling my MJX F645 to be a bit problematic for me (probably because of my skill level) which necessitated going to a larger, more open area. I know, I know, it’s probably just my imagination, but I truly believe the V912 is easier to fly and more controllable, it least for me at my skill level. I think I will enjoy these as I can simply walk out the door and do my thing.

BTW, I ordered these from Helipal and received them in eight days (I live in Texas, USA). The shipping packages were slightly damaged. The helicopters were undamaged, but one of the transmitters had a broken control stick. Glad I ordered two.

Anyone know if there is a V912 user’s thread?

Has anyone had a crack at the MJX F46? I have not found one available and am looking forward to reading a review. It looks like the F46 should be a real winner.

Cheers

Tex
Crackup is offline Find More Posts by Crackup
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:49 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
I looked out this morning. There was no wind at all ....wow
It's gonna be a nice day for flying my copter.

...then i checked the temperature.... -30C (-22 F)

Have to continue modifying my DH9104/F45 and also fly inside with my V911
Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VCTRC 450 Pro V2 (T-Rex clone)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:24 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
604 Posts
Fauconnier's phaenomena

Well, I've read about Fauconniers foundings about the cyclic becoming neutral when giving rudder input, and was wondering, because with my F45's I'm able to do banked turns.
So I did the thest with disconnected motors.
I also have the phaenomena, and saw it is in fact proportionnal to the rudder input (the more rudder, the more the cyclic goes back to neutral).
But I realized that even at full left or right rudder I had about the half of the cyclic movement remaining.
Then I remembered that in my Tx, I have set the rudder to 60%, (what I find sufficient, it's still reactive enough).
So in real conditions flight (I fly on a wiiide meadow), when I do large turns (> just a little rudder input), there is allmost no reduction in cyclic (that explain why I'm able to do nice banked turn in fast flight).
And when I turn with lots of rudder input, it's more often when I do manoeuvres at slow speeds, so the remaining cyclic movement is enough.

Just my 2 (euro)cents

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:57 AM
Spain, Valencian Community, Burriana
Joined Mar 2012
119 Posts
My mods...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ale servo...

aqui se ve el chasis montado y cortado...

pcb mod

lipo 2000 mah y 20 c to 40 c, .

main motor heat sink

tail motor heat sink.
Geso is offline Find More Posts by Geso
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:35 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Well, I've read about Fauconniers foundings about the cyclic becoming neutral when giving rudder input, and was wondering, because with my F45's I'm able to do banked turns.
So I did the thest with disconnected motors.
I also have the phaenomena, and saw it is in fact proportionnal to the rudder input (the more rudder, the more the cyclic goes back to neutral).
But I realized that even at full left or right rudder I had about the half of the cyclic movement remaining.
Then I remembered that in my Tx, I have set the rudder to 60%, (what I find sufficient, it's still reactive enough).
So in real conditions flight (I fly on a wiiide meadow), when I do large turns (> just a little rudder input), there is allmost no reduction in cyclic (that explain why I'm able to do nice banked turn in fast flight).
And when I turn with lots of rudder input, it's more often when I do manoeuvres at slow speeds, so the remaining cyclic movement is enough.

Just my 2 (euro)cents

Roland
That may explain why it has not been noticed or effected flight much for many of us . I flew fairly fast in a larger area and used very little rudder in turns and always seem to have sufficient banking in turns.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:52 AM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Dead main motor

Well, I made some new mods to my F45 this week, was all excited when I got off work yesterday at 2:00 as there was almost no wind with beautiful blue skies, picked up my gear at the house and drove a few blocks away to the empty lot, fired up my heli and couldn't get more than a foot off the ground, main motor was cooked. That's just cruel when it's over 50fh and perfect conditions. To add insult to injury I don't think I had twenty-five flights on her yet, and no long periods of just hovering except just to trim, and I had just ordered a replacement tail boom as I was concerned over the one I had straightened the motor shaft on. Had to go back to the house and order a main motor and pay shipping again as rcroanoke doesn't list a phone number. I figured I could save seperate shipping as they hadn't charged through paypal yet, oh well. At least by the end of the week I should be flying again. Having my daughter get me the brushless upgrade from aliexpress next month for my birthday, will be 58. Still feel like a kid sometimes but my body tells me otherwise,to many aches and pains. Will have to post a picture when I get everything back together with new head cover. Gonna try and fit the one from a double horse 9104.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:06 AM
Trying to fly
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
mjx f47

I have the f47 it's a fun flyer.I've had it outside w/no wind it does great imo.I've been researching the f46 and I believe that will be my next one over the f45.I'm new to heli flying so didn't want to prgress to fast no matter how tempting.Found a good deal on Aliexpress and Feala IIRC 96.00 for the f46 with camera and 108.00 for the f45 with camera....my 2 cents
Aiolos is offline Find More Posts by Aiolos
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:18 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post

(that explain why I'm able to do nice banked turn in fast flight).
I think we don't have the same definition of "nice bank turn" and "fast flight"
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
Well Guys I got home to no wind today and thought perfect for flying. I lifted off and went up and down the street about 10 times when I should have went to the field but it was getting close to dark and I got interupted just a second about the dog(dam it). Well with my eyes off for that short moment, the F45 backed between 2 small limbs and I chose to cut the throttle to eliminate damage. About 15 feet up I knew I could get it. As I started walking over to retrieve her from her first crash I thought cool it can take that. At that very moment she fell straight to the ground tail first. Luckily in some soft mud but it hit hard. As I was cleaning the mud out with tail assembly opened up I could see the motor shaft was bent. I straightened it with needle nose. I ran it and it ran true but seemed noisy. It also has bent the two pieces left of rear case where motor goes through open a little bit and did not want to go back causing gear mesh to be too tight which I super glued and clamped and that seemed to work. After that I felt like the meshing of the gears was tight and that was the noise. Well, I was wrong because I never listened to it with no tail blade on. I put the tail blade back on, hand held ran it and the noise was gone, so Wheeeeeeww!!!!!!!!!!! I just might have really gotten that lucky. I will find out tomorrow. All the rest of the Heli's I've ever had would have snapped the tail and probably broke something else to. Wow, if it flys right tomorrow with no vibrations and noises I will not have to wait on parts. If it does not and makes gear mesh noise shes grounded until I get a tail assembly. I think its just about as cheap to get the whole tail rather than separate parts, and believe me I hope not because I dont want to wait. I only have the spare blades that came with it. I'm going to do another hand held run so I'll sleep well. Y'all wish me luck and thanks for all the mod help. It really did help it, especially when it was calm. It flew nice, even banked it a little to the right. Cheers ScottHeli
Scott I 'opps where did that chainlink fence come from' the other day... the damn thing flew even after I accidentally gassed it still hung up on the fence. IMPRESSIVE to say the least.
And of course good luck
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:32 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackup View Post
Thought you guys might be interested in a mini report on the latest addition to my fleet. I now have 10 copters in the fleet, down from 17. The latest two are WL Toys V912s, and I must say, I really liked how they handled in a 6 knot breeze today. I plan to get some more flights in tomorrow as the weather here is nice. The temperature was in the high 50ís today and sunny. I ordered these primarily because of their size (16 inches overall length). I have a two acre yard, with trees and other obstacles, and I found controlling my MJX F645 to be a bit problematic for me (probably because of my skill level) which necessitated going to a larger, more open area. I know, I know, itís probably just my imagination, but I truly believe the V912 is easier to fly and more controllable, it least for me at my skill level. I think I will enjoy these as I can simply walk out the door and do my thing.

BTW, I ordered these from Helipal and received them in eight days (I live in Texas, USA). The shipping packages were slightly damaged. The helicopters were undamaged, but one of the transmitters had a broken control stick. Glad I ordered two.

Anyone know if there is a V912 userís thread?

Has anyone had a crack at the MJX F46? I have not found one available and am looking forward to reading a review. It looks like the F46 should be a real winner.

Cheers

Tex

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803090
I looked at that heli for some time now. It seems to be similar to F45 but smaller in size. I think WL make it to compete with F45. In my opinion, F45 has a lot of empty space in frame that makes it more sensitive to wind. What if remove all that space? I think of mod that would make it have smaller body with all else stock.
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:36 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,515 Posts
With my stock F45 I had only 2 problems: 1. heating main motor 2. sometimes rear blade is not running. In result heli is rotating as nothing is compensating rotation of main rotor. Fortunately it happened only on the start so heli have never fell from the sky rotating
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Fly bar balancing

By the way, when I was working on my heli I thought I would look at the balance of the fly bar as I had noticed a little vibration when I spooled it up in my hand. Found it to be off so I filed the heavy sides weight until I had a perfect balance. When I checked it in my hand again, the vibration seemed to be gone, so even though the blades were ok, the fly bar was off. With all the tweeks this should fly better than ever, but still not sure what can be done about the canceling issue on yaw input. Wonder if that's built into the transmitter, but no way to test with another bird as it doesn't bind to anything else. Maybe one of you electronics wizards will figure it out. Would be nice if we could turn it off somehow. Tom
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955