HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2009
133 Posts
Blade Grip Slop

I have noticed some teeter totter movement along the blade axis. There is nothing broken from what I can tell, I have not taken it apart because it does fly and good at that, so has anyone else noticed this slop in the grips where they mount around the metal tabs? I assume a very small bushing could be fabbed up but would it interfere with the free movement, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Has anyone attempted a mod for this and did it work or stay away from that.
Still too windy to fly! My HeliPad is not coming out as far as paint as good as expected but oh well something to do. Still need some ideas on what to use as for a larger HeliPad(I mean like 3' w/ LED's) All suggestions welcome.
Also, I noticed a minute amount of play in the up and down in the main shaft. To fix should I push down and go up with main gear or push main gear up and go down with the retaining collar or are both set and thats it. Just bored, but thought I'd ask. I can not wait for the wind to die. Pontoons will come off and I'm taking this bird to a ball field. ScottHeli
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Last edited by scottheli; Jan 17, 2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: forgot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:49 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
GOOD GOD, do you realize that 746 watts is a horsepower...
Yes, isn't it amazing the power we get out of electrics today.
The motor on my HK600 is 3250 watts which converts to 4.3 horsepower.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:12 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovrus View Post
There's UBEC b/n camera and receiver on Egofly, and in old thread about Egofly someone writes that UBEC encreases voltage to 5V needed by camera. Is it possible? can UBEC bring up the voltage? Egofly has 3.7V battery and if UBEC was reducing voltage what must be the camera voltage? I ask this because don't trust my experiments that I will make tonight.
Asanovrus - I have 5 cameras, all work on +5V. One actually has 4 wires: two (I have found) are for supply, one for trigger stills, one for trigger video.
Nothing we do is totally risk free..! But, if your camera has 3 wires, and you are absolutely sure which is which, Rolands diagram will show you how to wire them to your F45.
To mitigate as much risk as possible, you could initially start with the 2 diode solution, and (say) a 470 ohm resistor in series with the trigger lead, too. If this doesn't work you could then try the +5 direct (or abandon the idea). IMO - and IME, it's very unlikely that your camera is operating on less than +3.3V. Or more than +5V.
The really important part is identifying correctly the wires coming out of your camera. If you aren't sure, don't do it as reversed polarity could indeed wreck it in an instant.
Either way, the very best of luck with the idea .
John

PS - A still from video an hour ago, in a nearby school football field - all closed for summer break, here in Oz. 28 deg (but C instead of F, like you northern guys!) No rain either, which is why the grass is brownish.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 17, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:43 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Decided to steal a couple of polystyrene balls from The Wife's crafting corner to try modding my skids for a softer landing. Since I don't know much about the materials I thought I'd ask advice on treating the balls (if you'll pardon the expression ).

Was thinking about blagging some of my daughter's nail varnish - red or black - to
(a) make them watertight and
(b) stop the back ones falling off, as the balls are 27mm diameter and there's only about 16mm hanging out the back of the skid.

Do you think this would work or, if not, anybody have a better suggestion?

Thanks guys
Fin
Thanks for the kind thoughts expressed elsewhere, Tigger. However, a replacement has just about risen phoenixlike from the ashes, and - hopefully - will have taught me NOT to take silly risks - until next time, anyway.

Your skids - I find the pipe lagging solution works best for me. Really resilient closed cell foam, so no ball sealing needad (!). You can see it in use on my own here. Not as pretty, just a thought.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:50 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
505 Posts
Been a lurker here for some time now, trying to decide on which FP to go with next. I have to say this thread has so much good information in it, it could be a website by itself. I've looked at alot of different makes and models for a while now, but in the end I always come back to the F45. If for no other reason, the durability is paramount. If all goes as planned, my order for one will be placed tonight. Expect many questions!

I'm a noob, having only flown several CX micros, and a Double Horse FP that is completely useless- aside from looking nice on the shelf. Live and learn I guess...

I also flew single turbine Bell 206s a few years ago, so at least the basics make sense enough to make me dangerous to spectators!
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:54 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Thanks for the kind thoughts expressed elsewhere, Tigger. However, a replacement has just about risen phoenixlike from the ashes, and - hopefully - will have taught me NOT to take silly risks - until next time, anyway.

Your skids - I find the pipe lagging solution works best for me. Really resilient closed cell foam, so no ball sealing needad (!). You can see it in use on my own here. Not as pretty, just a thought.
Nice bird John. Do you get the pipe lagging from the local plumber's merchants? Been looking for something similar but haven't been able to find it yet. Just have to look a bit harder I suppose
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:14 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Nice bird John. Do you get the pipe lagging from the local plumber's merchants? Been looking for something similar but haven't been able to find it yet. Just have to look a bit harder I suppose
It WAS nice (RIP)! - Though still got the twin with brushed tail, out with it at 5am today. And replacement full BL is just waiting on one HK order (hopefully today).
With the lagging, just don't know where you'd get it in Germany. Maybe your idea of plumbers supply would be best option (if they have such a thing)?
Over here, we have Clarks, a chain of 'rubber supply' stores: they sell rubber mouldings of every possible type. Also plastic swimming pools, yoga mats, foam mattresses etc.
And pool noodles. from which I make the floats for the big CPs . Would use them on the F45/450 too, but add a bit too much wind resistance: so no non CP canal landings yet.
Regards
John.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Well, I took it outside today. I keeps wanting to tip to one side. Had my first crash and broke the tail blade. I should have waited until a day when it was not windy.
woffie is offline Find More Posts by woffie
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:57 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woffie View Post
Well, I took it outside today. I keeps wanting to tip to one side. Had my first crash and broke the tail blade. I should have waited until a day when it was not windy.
It is probably "tipping" to the left. When you try to get it off the ground slow, you need to add a little right cyclic to keep it level. You can get the feel for it while the bird is still on the ground. When you see it start to lean over give a little cyclic in the other direction. If you are using mod 2 (mod 4 on transmitter) it would be right or left with the right stick.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Gonna order tonight:

+ 2 pieces of one of these batteries:
ZIPPY Flightmax 1600mAh 2S1P 20C
or
ZIPPY Flightmax 1300mAh 2S1P 20C
Which battery would you recommend from these two?
Most have found that the 2000mah nanotech from hobbyking with jst connecotr to be best.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
It WAS nice (RIP)! - Though still got the twin with brushed tail, out with it at 5am today. And replacement full BL is just waiting on one HK order (hopefully today).
With the lagging, just don't know where you'd get it in Germany. Maybe your idea of plumbers supply would be best option (if they have such a thing)?
Over here, we have Clarks, a chain of 'rubber supply' stores: they sell rubber mouldings of every possible type. Also plastic swimming pools, yoga mats, foam mattresses etc.
And pool noodles. from which I make the floats for the big CPs . Would use them on the F45/450 too, but add a bit too much wind resistance: so no non CP canal landings yet.
Regards
John.
John
What's you're take on the information fauconnier posted about the rudder cancelling out the cyclic. I do not have a working F45 with the stock PCB to test and see why this happens. I never did notice it my self and I did a lot of fast banked turns. I must have just hit the right combination to get the cyclic at the right position before I touched the rudder? I'm very curious as you have flown your in high wind conditions. With my present setup, I'm sure I could roll it upside down, but I am not using any stock electronics.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:17 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,291 Posts
Quote:
I use the 1/2" pipe insulation closed cell foam. I put a 6" length over each landing skid and it works great. Its available in any hardware/pipe supply store here in the US.
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:23 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
John
What's you're take on the information fauconnier posted about the rudder cancelling out the cyclic. I do not have a working F45 with the stock PCB to test and see why this happens. I never did notice it my self and I did a lot of fast banked turns. I must have just hit the right combination to get the cyclic at the right position before I touched the rudder? I'm very curious as you have flown your in high wind conditions. With my present setup, I'm sure I could roll it upside down, but I am not using any stock electronics.
These are just my findings: I tested the cyclic/rudder on the floor and at the park today, and I have full independent of cyclic motion regardless of rudder position. And just as BThirsk says, fast, or even slow, banking turns are no problem whether or not I hit the cyclic before or after the rudder. With the F45/450 the bank is even more pronounced.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:36 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
I have noticed some teeter totter movement along the blade axis. There is nothing broken from what I can tell, I have not taken it apart because it does fly and good at that, so has anyone else noticed this slop in the grips where they mount around the metal tabs? I assume a very small bushing could be fabbed up but would it interfere with the free movement, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Has anyone attempted a mod for this and did it work or stay away from that.
Still too windy to fly! My HeliPad is not coming out as far as paint as good as expected but oh well something to do. Still need some ideas on what to use as for a larger HeliPad(I mean like 3' w/ LED's) All suggestions welcome.
Also, I noticed a minute amount of play in the up and down in the main shaft. To fix should I push down and go up with main gear or push main gear up and go down with the retaining collar or are both set and thats it. Just bored, but thought I'd ask. I can not wait for the wind to die. Pontoons will come off and I'm taking this bird to a ball field. ScottHeli
Read this from OldOz about a collection of mods to the F45.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2906
Adding the binder reinforcement tabs helps get rid of the slop in the blade grips..
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:29 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,524 Posts
I fly with EH200 mod with HB Fixed Pitch blades and stock tail. I can do fast flight with banked turns and figure 8's and most of the time the turns are reasonably good in either direction. Sometimes I get some sliding around due to wind effects or pilot error or some mystery effect. Overall it seem find though.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member