Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:09 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Thanks for the encouragement!
I remember your advice was to start smaller, and FBL. Unfortunately, that decision was made for me, and it would have seemed somewhat ungrateful to buy something different back then.
Do you still think FBL would make a real difference (at this stage)?: and no, not giving up at all. Still five flights a day, and 20min on phoenix.
Regards
John
My advice was start small, not my actions. My firsts were a HK250 and a 450V2.
The HK250 would be the last choice to begin with now, and the 450V2 would be close to last. Anything with a DFC FBL head would also be low on the list.
The MasterCP or something with the same flying characteristics would be a good outdoor choice.
The best thing the minis did for me was promote control. When flying outside with my 120 or larger, I can fly in lots of room and being a little sloppy and without the greatest of control, I can get by. Inside is a different story. The walls and things come up pretty fast and these little guys are very fast when out of control. My goal is to fly continues circuits in the basement for 4 minutes with each Heli with out hitting anything. When things are going good, I often make 10 to 20 sessions hit free. Each day, control gets better.
That's what I could never have accomplished with the larger helis as I, at a young 61, am still working 10 - 11 hours a day at my store, and then often several hours on my web software. With the big guys, you need more time and more maintenance to gain the same experience.
ps: just got another mini, the Walkera SuperCP. All there of my minis share 90% of the same parts, but are all different. The latest has a little more power, faster and crisper response, but feels better flying. That is how we progress. Always wanting more response, higher head speed, faster, faster, bigger, better. Kind of sound like the F45/445/450/where do we go from here.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:18 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
outside temp - 33f
after 11 min and 14 seconds motor temp 111.6f
rate of rise = 6.98 degrees f / min

I'm betting the hot lands are real hard on them 370's
Built a homebrew landing supports/skids and covered them with pipe insulation... worked SWEET, now the much bigger footprint enables the chopper to land and take off on the snow with ease. And it looks like an alaskan chopper now (H)
Something is really screwed up here. You are at +1C and the guys on the other side are at +30C and we are at a balmy minus11C and this is after it warmed up 10 degrees from the last few days. We had one day above freezing in late October.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:28 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
My advice was start small, not my actions. My firsts were a HK250 and a 450V2.
The HK250 would be the last choice to begin with now, and the 450V2 would be close to last. Anything with a DFC FBL head would also be low on the list.
The MasterCP or something with the same flying characteristics would be a good outdoor choice.
The best thing the minis did for me was promote control. When flying outside with my 120 or larger, I can fly in lots of room and being a little sloppy and without the greatest of control, I can get by. Inside is a different story. The walls and things come up pretty fast and these little guys are very fast when out of control. My goal is to fly continues circuits in the basement for 4 minutes with each Heli with out hitting anything. When things are going good, I often make 10 to 20 sessions hit free. Each day, control gets better.
That's what I could never have accomplished with the larger helis as I, at a young 61, am still working 10 - 11 hours a day at my store, and then often several hours on my web software. With the big guys, you need more time and more maintenance to gain the same experience.
ps: just got another mini, the Walkera SuperCP. All there of my minis share 90% of the same parts, but are all different. The latest has a little more power, faster and crisper response, but feels better flying. That is how we progress. Always wanting more response, higher head speed, faster, faster, bigger, better. Kind of sound like the F45/445/450/where do we go from here.
Thanks, BThirsk. Was considering a DFC 450: will put it on the backburner now, and keep up all the practice (and more practice) that time allows. Work too, not those hours though.
Before closing this off topic dicussion, would like to give credit to my HK/Align hybrid, who has had to put up with my slow learning curve. It's no F45, sure, but in its present configuration has to put up with dust, dry grass, the odd landing in a canal (good sheltered site when the wind is up) - and my fumblings!
Good guy 450 FB. Bet it could do snow, too.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 12, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:08 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, BThirsk. Was considering a DFC 450: will put it on the backburner now, and keep up all the practice (and more practice) that time allows. Work too, not those hours though.
Before closing this off topic dicussion, would like to give credit to my HK/Align hybrid, who has had to put up with my slow learning curve. It's no F45, sure, but in its present configuration has to put up with dust, dry grass, the odd landing in a canal (good sheltered site when the wind is up) - and my fumblings!
Good guy 450 FB. Bet it could do snow, too.
If you consider FBL build, look at the HK500TT FBL. That will be my next build.
Last edited by BThirsk; Jan 12, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Mar 2009
132 Posts
Mods and Maiden Flight

Well hello to all. My wait ended today when after lunch my MJX F45 showed up. I did not even fly it stock for some reason. I immediately started the mods. I spent most of the time making some homemade heat sinks for both motors out of PC Heat Sinks. Shimmed the blades, added a nut and amazing goop to the nose area, attempted the paper clip mod but quit on it til another day all while charging the stock battery. Oh, I also made some heat sinks for the 4 chips on the board. Then I checked out the Tx, set it all to 100% except throttle I went for 70%. So, scared to death because the wind was blowing and changing direction and gusting like 13-15 knots cause another fronts almost here in south Mississippi and I went in the front yard for a test hover/Fly around a little. I noticed it is still a little tail heavy, I did not test balance it yet. I also noticed not a lot of aileron control so that mod will definitely be next. I am assuming it will naturally fly better to the right like other helis with a tail motor. Anyway, I flew a little and it got squirrely a couple of times but I was able to land and restart. In a hover, I had to control it constantly, also seem to have a small amount of vibration, I will bakance the blades tomorrow and maybe take some pics. And fly some more somewhere. All in all a good looking Helicopter that I'll get flying good and practice on it till funds allow a Collective Pitch. Great Price. Banggood 12 Days to the door. Let me know if I've done the right thing guys. Happy Flying Scott
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Welcome to our happy home RC man. You wont find a better lot on the web. Read the thread from beginning to here and you will learn all the ins and outs of the BEST DANG COPTER for the price. (i just ordered another F45, i like this one so much)
Fun is #1 here
Hi bob,
I read this whole 364 page thread man, and just about know everything mechanical on the F-45. I am a very dedicated fan of this wonderfull bird.
I never had to buy parts for mine yet, I made them myself, or fix it.
3 crashes so far, no new blades,mainshaft,tailboom, nothing!!!!
You ever try to highly polish a tailboom on a F-45?
10mm X1mm Aluminium?
1 wrong move, and its junk. To hot, and it warps, to deep and ya got a hole in it,
or ya weaken the slots in it. (crooked tailmotor and blade)

Strong she is, but wont take up with b.s. work.

I made a cg boom for my copters for weight distrabution.
HMMMM why ? Cause I needed 1.
After centering the gravity, left. right, front ,and back,(side to side was a bit.h)
than it flys like a humming bird.
Ill make a vid of a F-45 hovering with no hands on the rx ok?
Hope i didnt put my foot in my mouth lol

ya all take care

Frank von Hellsing

F-45 Mister Lover Lover lol
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:30 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,256 Posts
Quote:
outside temp - 33f
after 11 min and 14 seconds motor temp 111.6f
rate of rise = 6.98 degrees f / min

I'm betting the hot lands are real hard on them 370's
Built a homebrew landing supports/skids and covered them with pipe insulation... worked SWEET, now the much bigger footprint enables the chopper to land and take off on the snow with ease. And it looks like an alaskan chopper now (H)
-33F now thats cold!

I did the same and attached some pipe insulation to my landing skids! It works great on the snow and also helps cushion my "not so perfect" landings.
I am thinking of making a larger set for the summer to take off and land on the water.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:50 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
Well hello to all. My wait ended today when after lunch my MJX F45 showed up. I did not even fly it stock for some reason. I immediately started the mods. I spent most of the time making some homemade heat sinks for both motors out of PC Heat Sinks. Shimmed the blades, added a nut and amazing goop to the nose area, attempted the paper clip mod but quit on it til another day all while charging the stock battery. Oh, I also made some heat sinks for the 4 chips on the board. Then I checked out the Tx, set it all to 100% except throttle I went for 70%. So, scared to death because the wind was blowing and changing direction and gusting like 13-15 knots cause another fronts almost here in south Mississippi and I went in the front yard for a test hover/Fly around a little. I noticed it is still a little tail heavy, I did not test balance it yet. I also noticed not a lot of aileron control so that mod will definitely be next. I am assuming it will naturally fly better to the right like other helis with a tail motor. Anyway, I flew a little and it got squirrely a couple of times but I was able to land and restart. In a hover, I had to control it constantly, also seem to have a small amount of vibration, I will bakance the blades tomorrow and maybe take some pics. And fly some more somewhere. All in all a good looking Helicopter that I'll get flying good and practice on it till funds allow a Collective Pitch. Great Price. Banggood 12 Days to the door. Let me know if I've done the right thing guys. Happy Flying Scott
Hi Scott,
Happy 45th lol
F-45
Wind will tear up this heli( carry it with it) if ya dont have the right headspeed (main rotor speed) bl mod is on the way. Helps alot

I am goin to put a pic in here of what I build for friends who like cars.
I am a car man (but love the helis too)

Take care Scott

And here is the pic of 2 of my cars. (If its allowed to be posted here, I dont know)
Doesnt really fit here, but it shows ya what I can do with a car.
Now I got a F-45 in my mits and wait to see what I do with that Bird.

Ohh, these are 1/10 scale, and RC cars, Lowrider with working hydraulics and 1 of my Dragsters,(Fasssst as he.l)
Behind the Dragster is the Lowrider chassis.

Tell me what ya all think, ok ?

Frank
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:01 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
If you consider FBL build, look at the HK500TT FBL. That will be my next build.
Looks a good kit. 3G, Beastx or something else?
Regards
John
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
132 Posts
Aileron Mod

I took a better look and noticed the aileron servo horn has two more holes. Did yall swap the horns for more forward flight and sacrifice aileron or should I just move the aileron linkage out a hole. Also when I do this does it change swashplate? Do I need to lengthen linkage or just use the trimmer? What have you guys found to be the best solution. Also, does it become harder to control because its new and I dont want to crash it right off the bat. I'll do that when I get used to it and get complacent and KABOOM. LoL Hope not. Thank You all who have took time to help others with this cool heli. I am gonna have fun with it. Later on I will get the better battery and the brushless kit. I was eyeing the kit thats ready to go with everything in one order from fiela.com for less than fifty bucks(motor, esc, and lower frame) I have not read here of anyone trying that one. I guess its one for dummies. All comments welcome! ScottHeli Cheers!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:37 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
I took a better look and noticed the aileron servo horn has two more holes. Did yall swap the horns for more forward flight and sacrifice aileron or should I just move the aileron linkage out a hole. Also when I do this does it change swashplate? Do I need to lengthen linkage or just use the trimmer? What have you guys found to be the best solution. Also, does it become harder to control because its new and I dont want to crash it right off the bat. I'll do that when I get used to it and get complacent and KABOOM. LoL Hope not. Thank You all who have took time to help others with this cool heli. I am gonna have fun with it. Later on I will get the better battery and the brushless kit. I was eyeing the kit thats ready to go with everything in one order from fiela.com for less than fifty bucks(motor, esc, and lower frame) I have not read here of anyone trying that one. I guess its one for dummies. All comments welcome! ScottHeli Cheers!
Hi Scott, ya can move the rods out till the end when ya get better at hovering.

If this your first heli (F-45) try just bumpin on the skids. A little throttle till it moves,
Try to keep it level and straight, Tail lookin at you ,like you are inside the heli.
DO not look where the tail goes, think of this bird as you were sittin in the cockpit.
Tail goes left when you move your left stick to the right.(If ya have mode 4 on your tx.) you must always think from the front of the heli.
If ya turn your rudder right, your tail goes left, but the nose of the heli goes right.

You will make a right turn when you fly and move the rudder to the right.

Try hovering 50mm (2 in.) from the ground, move heli with right stick 2ft. to the right side, than touchdown, rest a while, and hover again, move right stick left, go 2 ft and touchdown again.
Do this till ya have it in ya like clockwork, (ya need this before ya go sailin off in the wild blue yonder)

Try to adjust your trims for the rudder (tail left and right) so when ya hover, it doesnt turn around on ya, (nose in on ya.) Just remember, adjust trim on how ya want the nose of the heli to go, want nose (front) left, trim to the left.

I learned flyin at night,Reall hard (Hmmm wheres the front?)

I can help ya start, but you have to know how you feel comfy with your heli and its settings.

GOOD LUCK Man
youll get it right, we all do

Frank
Last edited by R.C. Man; Jan 12, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:50 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Looks a good kit. 3G, Beastx or something else?
Regards
John
Hi John,

Beastx is real good for fbl, If ya can afford it, makes flyin simpler.

I have never heard any bad things about beastx from anyone.

Frank
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Mar 2009
132 Posts
Hey man thanks for your help. I had a cx3 modded in every different way, and I could fly it real good. Its just it was a coax and had more stable flight characteristics compared to this bird. The videos I watched on You Tube of the F45 had people flying fast pretty high up, which I wont fly it that high but I would like to see (at a field of course) some 20 foot up FFF circuits most likely to the right. I did not see anyone trying to the left. Yeah, thanks and your cars look awesome, keep up the good work. Scott
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:56 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Hi Scott,
I dont have to much time to fly when the sun is out, I fly mostly in my garage and when I feel brave I go out in the dark and buzz around. Now thats challenging,(Ohh,.. wheres the front pointen at )
About flyin left with the F-45, I will try to make a vid (when the suns out) flyin left,maybe today as its sunday and I shouldnt have to work today. Havent flown in the daytime yet, so Im lookin forward to doin that. Hard enough flyin alone, but then holdin a cam and flyin, thats a whole different pack a snakes, Ohh and the wind. I will make something so I can cam and fly at the same time.
Im off to my garage to build a cam hat, hope nobody sees me flyin with this contraption on my skull, I imagine it would be embarressing,(an older fart with camera on his head, flyin a heli on the football field)
Take care Yall, IM a GOIN FLYIN.

Frank
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:04 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Anyone got the F47 ?
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570