SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
4 MJX F45s, 1000+ flights, never seen this happen. would more suspect faulty QA in China.
However, if you're in a hot climate, might pay to limit flights to 6mins or so. Heat sink can help against very premature failure, but expect motor to fail between 30 and 80 flights either with or without one. The brushes simply wear out, or (occasionally) brush support arms fail.
I look at the so called 'solder joints' and cringe... enough said
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:07 AM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
BTW lads, I just noticed something... the tail boom struts are exactly like the landing gear 'feet'... just a wee bend and it will go right in place
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:44 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,492 Posts
[QUOTE=OldOz;23789106]In a fairly heavily populated urban area, sound (alone) just wouldn't cut it where I fly. And I don't like relying on the bind being maintained after a crash.
But your (excellent!) videos seem to imply more of a rural environment.
Rexless - as you don't use the camera switch for its usual purpose, it's a trivial matter (as Slothy suggests) to rig a piezo buzzer/alarm from it.
Perhaps that would work for you? - only 3 components involved. Sound level will be down a bit (at say 8V) but still make a heck of a racket[QUOTE]

I think using the camera port is interesting but not ideal. If the RX fails or the crazy winds we get in the spring through fall seasons catch me off guard then I fear it won't work. I'm also flying other helicopters so I'm looking for a multi-purpose solution.

Certainly don't go basing this on my specific needs (unless they line up with yours of course). I might try following your lead on the camera port to gain some experience and if I end up going another way I can pass it along to friends that fly F45!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:15 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
644 Posts
First 450size CP heli flight

Hello folks !

It's a little of topic, but...
Today I flew my Walkera V450D03 for the first time, man was my heart beating before taking off !
But the first flight went without problems, just hovering and some slow translations. (this flight was mainly intended to look if all works as expected on this new heli)
Now I just have to practice a lot (will do that with a Master CP) to be able to fly a CP heli like I'm able to fly with the F45.
I just have to be patient, and practice, practice...

Have nice flights, and a thought for those who lost one of their birds these days...

Regards, Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:32 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Roland -
Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that I'll never fly a 450 CP the way I fly a FP.
For me anyway, chalk and cheese. More wind authority, precision, challenging, rewarding - sure: fun - not so much. And this is after 100+ flights on 2 different CPs. Perhaps it would be different if I went FBL.
The stakes are so much higher, mistakes are much more expensive, too. In time and cash. I'd really never arrive at the field, and hurl the heli 80' in the air straight off as I often do with my F45/450s.
It may be simply that I started this too late in life, but I notice that other far more competent CP pilots still fly FP at times for 'fun'.
However, I'll be very interested on your take on the change! - and my own thought: Phoenix is your friend .
Best of luck
John

PS (and the flip side of CP) I would never lose a CP the way I lost my FP yesterday. 2 deg of negative pitch, and that heli is coming DOWN, under control, wind or no wind. A different world, as above.
Alas, no sign of my bird yet. Still some hope though (and just as well I had two near identical!)
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 12, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:56 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Rexless -

No, our interests are the same. Any recovery solution that relies on maintaining a bind, is no real answer for me (but certainly better than nothing). I fear that my own answer to the problem will work well, but not be able to be reported here.
Wasn't an active radio ham for a few years for nothing! But a few more avenues to explore first.
Cheers
John.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:02 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Roland -
Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that I'll never fly a 450 CP the way I fly a FP.
For me anyway, chalk and cheese. More wind authority, precision, challenging, rewarding - sure: fun - not so much. And this is after 100+ flights on 2 different CPs. Perhaps it would be different if I went FBL.
The stakes are so much higher, mistakes are much more expensive, too. In time and cash. I'd really never arrive at the field, and hurl the heli 80' in the air straight off as I often do with my F45/450s.
It may be simply that I started this too late in life, but I notice that other far more competent CP pilots still fly FP at times for 'fun'.
However, I'll be very interested on your take on the change! - and my own thought: Phoenix is your friend .
Best of luck
John

PS (and the flip side of CP) I would never lose a CP the way I lost my FP yesterday. 2 deg of negative pitch, and that heli is coming DOWN, under control, wind or no wind. A different world, as above.
Alas, no sign of my bird yet. Still some hope though (and just as well I had two near identical!)
I'm sure one day you will be just as comfortable with the CPs as you are with the FP. I was starting to think the same way after several weeks on flying indoors. One day it just clicks and things seem different. You may still have a bad day where it seems like you have 2 left hands, but the next day will be better. As Rowland said, practice, practice.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I'm sure one day you will be just as comfortable with the CPs as you are with the FP. I was starting to think the same way after several weeks on flying indoors. One day it just clicks and things seem different. You may still have a bad day where it seems like you have 2 left hands, but the next day will be better. As Rowland said, practice, practice.
Thanks for the encouragement!
I remember your advice was to start smaller, and FBL. Unfortunately, that decision was made for me, and it would have seemed somewhat ungrateful to buy something different back then.
Do you still think FBL would make a real difference (at this stage)?: and no, not giving up at all. Still five flights a day, and 20min on phoenix.
Regards
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:34 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,492 Posts
Quote:
I'm so sad you lost the bird. I was quite shaken when my quad took off. I certainly hope my failsafe settings worked. I spent time researching that before and it seemed sensible to have the failsafe set to try and descend softly so I had it set to 30% throttle - auto-level was on, and all other sticks to 0. If the KK2 was working correctly this should have gradually settled down. The only thing is now I read reports that this failsafe approach can actually be bad. If it wasn't for a 30+cm of soft snow, it may have come down nicely and all, but then may start hopping around. I don't recall what the F45 would do in this case - does it just keep flying until it runs out of steam?

Quote:
Rexless - No, our interests are the same. Any recovery solution that relies on maintaining a bind, is no real answer for me (but certainly better than nothing). I fear that my own answer to the problem will work well, but not be able to be reported here. Wasn't an active radio ham for a few years for nothing! But a few more avenues to explore first. Cheers
John.
That's good to know. I've read a bit about radio rules as I'm interested in FPV. It's not very easy here in Canada by the looks of it. I'm not yet sure what route to go if I were to try FPV but I have read enough that suggests I should get an amateur radio license. I look forward to learning what you're cooking up!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:40 PM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Roland -
My first CP heli was a Walkera V200D03, it was so "nervous" and difficult to fly that I sold it. Then I bought a Master CP, more stable and forgiving. At my second flight with this heli, in december, I had a bad crash (heli to quick for my actual reaction time) with broken frame, 3 stripped servos, broken blade holder, bent feathering shaft, and I said to myself "Oh my God, perhaps it was a big mistake to try a CP heli !"
Well, I continued to have fun with the F45, and practice on simulator, and meanwhile I reassembled my Master CP.
At the beginning of this year, I decided to try it again with CP, but by beginning like a total heli newbie. That was not easy, knowing how I am able to fly arround with the F45.
But in one way my crash has been useful, it learned me to be humble.
So I began with just hovering, and after that doing little translations at slow speed.
Now, after 12 batteries (with no crash ) I BEGIN to be able to make turns (not nice and clean banked turns, but well...) with no fear, to fly at moderate speed, and also to have fun (not as much as with the F45, there is still stress). I am still far to fly the Master CP like the F45, but I progress, and the confidence is coming back.
When thinking about it, actualy I fly the CP heli exactly as I flew the F45 at the beginning. And it took about 4 month before I flew the F45 without stress and crashes and was able to take clean turns and trajectories. So I hope in the end I will do as well with the CP heli.
Maybe it will take less or more time, I don't know...

Quote:
With the Master CP, the mistakes are not so expensive (but of course more than with the F45)

Quote:
Well there is no doubt the later, the more difficult. I'm only (ahem) 51, and I'm often demoralized how slooow my skills increase, but at least for now they increase...

Quote:
I'll keep you informed !

Quote:
Best of luck
John
Thank you John, I wish you the same, and still lots of happy an fun flights, wheter with FP or CP helis

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Last edited by Rollmops67; Jan 12, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:09 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Roland
Many thanks for your kind thoughts, too.
Afraid I've another 20 odd years on your youthful () 51, does make some things difficult. But as many who are flying F45s now and reading this will progress to CP, should mention one thing perhaps worthy of note.
The Align 450 FB I was given to start off in CP, is - as BThirsk has pointed out - very far from an ideal CP learner. However, it has one huge advantage -
A complete kit of all metal parts is available (from HK) for $50 or so.
This has made a great difference to the running costs - so much so, that the original Align really just sits on the shelf while I fly two 90% HK clones.
Only real Align essentials (imo) are the main gear, drive shaft, skids, ESC and motor. Use Align (Futuba) electronics, too - but have heard good things here about orange box/HK substitutes.
And yeah, hear you on that first major crash (dry grass up the belt/boom here). But the rebuild was a great learning experience - now have got to the point where I can strip a rotor head (or tail) and reassemble inside an hour. And keep spare rebuilds on the shelf gtg at all times.
But still - If those big blades hit anything, you'll have to replace the driveshaft and possibly main gear. At least.
All in all, a long, long way from the F45 experience! Agree totally with your advice: no matter how good you are with the F45, start humble.
All the best
John
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 12, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:54 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Hi yall,
What ya think about a F-45 cp heli ?
I think that would be cool as h.ll.
I dont really know what to write in here, I have a hard time puttin ideas to words.
And then not to mention while writing I forget how the rest should be said.

Anyway, I will try my best to put my ideas to words,(If I can remember them lol)
I had a stroke 6 months ago, and had to work on my motorics (hand and leg movments)
So when it was better, I bought a heli and ripped it apart and put it back together again.

And it was the F-45 (Thats how I found this forum of F-45 fliers)
This forum is soooo coool. All the tips and tricks out in the open, for all to see.(How it should be)
Good peops ,(who help) ya dont see that very often anywhere in this world.

I love comming here to chillout and read the posts, all want help somewhere, somehow,
And here the get their answer from peops who fly themselves,(not a person behind a counter who just wants to make you happy and lighten your wallet.

We are people with hands on experence, and from the (100?) here, ya can say they are in the right hands.

This F-45 thread is known all over the world (from who I see in here), and thats a pretty powerfull tool.

Here keeps people together with the same interests, Workin with the F-45, not the bar,cornerstore,local drug dealer or any other crap.
We are (I think, kinda dedicated to this bird)
Who knows why ?
Thats just the way it is.
Its a fun heli to fly and tinker with, dont cost a million,ya wont go broke flyin,and it holds crashes like no other heli ive ever seen. (How is a fall from 28 ft with no throttle for a 450 who knows the name heli) I did it, and the F- 45 just fell on the skids and then fell over.
Broke the right rear skid mount at the holding point and dented the tail boom,and still is workin like a charm.

Well I think thats enough said, page would be on 2 pages lol.

So, Yall take care of ya bird, shes worth a mil. If it keeps you or your kids atta trouble.

Frank
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
outside temp - 33f
after 11 min and 14 seconds motor temp 111.6f
rate of rise = 6.98 degrees f / min

I'm betting the hot lands are real hard on them 370's
Built a homebrew landing supports/skids and covered them with pipe insulation... worked SWEET, now the much bigger footprint enables the chopper to land and take off on the snow with ease. And it looks like an alaskan chopper now (H)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Quote:
Rexless -

No, our interests are the same. Any recovery solution that relies on maintaining a bind, is no real answer for me (but certainly better than nothing). I fear that my own answer to the problem will work well, but not be able to be reported here.
Wasn't an active radio ham for a few years for nothing! But a few more avenues to explore first.
Cheers
John.
(pauses a moment to mourn the passing of another flying machine)
KL0SU here John, and I been one for yrs. I know a solution, its spendy... a VHF RDF... they make em... Polaris makes them model 9000 i THINK. A 1 watt tx set to go when there is 5 min of 'dead stick'(no signal) still SPENDY. I bet you seen em on fishing boats... the DF is a quad array with 4 half wave dipoles. Rather fetching looking
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
344 Posts
Welcome to our happy home RC man. You wont find a better lot on the web. Read the thread from beginning to here and you will learn all the ins and outs of the BEST DANG COPTER for the price. (i just ordered another F45, i like this one so much)
Fun is #1 here