HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:04 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
I gotta post this one... while doing my shopping/bill paying, ran across this wee kiosch in the mall selling r/c copters... coaxial f45 size with CHEAPO 27 meg tx... 300 usd. After 4 min of laughing, he said 'i sell to you for $150'... passed by after a stroll to the ice exhibits, had to chuckle, again, 'i sell to you for $100 '... Fellows we talking the worst china models I ever seen. Did i mention the 450 class coaxial for 600 usd?
(why on earth would they make a coaxial that big) OOOOOOH I know why, so i can take a wee nap while flying LMAO, it is so docile i bet i could
Started helis on an MJX F39 coax. 450 class (+) sure, but it did have its good points: moddable, too. A good learner, still have it.
However, agree those booth operators do try it on. Have some sympathy for them myself, as the rents are truly outrageous over here. But $600? - a tad OTT, by any standards.

Edit - Think, from memory, Gordonzo also had an F39, and spoke well of it. Also made the 450CP a lot less intimidating than it would be otherwise.

From a modded F39, at (again from memory) 10k wind speed. But definitely wasn't napping.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:51 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
ByGolly Rex you have an excellent idea there. Come to think on it, a 'locator' would be a valued asset to any flying craft. I will get to researching this. The parts can be had at any decent RadioShack... hmmm yur in Canukland, I dunno there. Call around and find whom carries 'electronic components'. All the parts retail isnt 5 usd. The IC pinout starts at the dot (or indention) as pin 1 and clockwise around to pin 8 (across from pin 1) (in other words pin 1 & 8 are on one end, 4 & 5 on the other end). The pin spacing is perfect for 1/2 watt parts.
As to soldering, its easy... CLEAN THE CONNECTIONS, use the right amount of heat, tin the soldering iron tip properly... and you are fully permitted to practice on scrap wire, old circuit boards ect. The old saying 'practice makes perfect' works here.
We have an electronics shop here but I fear they have high prices due to the limited market. Radio shack is small but has some stuff. It just takes some planning and possibly some waiting on eBay. My soldering skills are slowly getting better. I like to practice by building extension cables and xt60 - deans or JST converters etc. My problem is time. Running a business and having three young kids, a great wife & a band means flying & tinkering are inconsistent... But when the stars are in alignment things tend to come together quickly thanks to all the gurus on here! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Crash location -
Hmm - some 'pet locators' look promising: as does a triggered low power omnidirectional LW signal and a rod antenna Rx. I'm NOT going to get caught this way again!
That sounds about right. I've been searching for pet locators but most d seem to be too expensive, short range, too big and heavy, or they don't operate the way I'm hoping. Since I lost the quad I know I have to deal with this before I carry on. I hope all lost helicopter return home soon. Thanks guys for all the help!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:28 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post

That sounds about right. I've been searching for pet locators but most d seem to be too expensive, short range, too big and heavy, or they don't operate the way I'm hoping. Since I lost the quad I know I have to deal with this before I carry on. I hope all lost helicopter return home soon. Thanks guys for all the help!
In a fairly heavily populated urban area, sound (alone) just wouldn't cut it where I fly. And I don't like relying on the bind being maintained after a crash.
But your (excellent!) videos seem to imply more of a rural environment.
Rexless - as you don't use the camera switch for its usual purpose, it's a trivial matter (as Slothy suggests) to rig a piezo buzzer/alarm from it.
Perhaps that would work for you? - only 3 components involved. Sound level will be down a bit (at say 8V) but still make a heck of a racket.

Edit - of the three pins for the camera, the pin nearest the tail is earth. moving forward, the next is a (far from pure) nominal +5V: the last (camera) is earth at switch on, and goes high +3.3V when the camera button is first pressed, and back to zero on the second press.
The piezo could be connected to the battery +, and the collector of almost any NPN power transistor: the transistors emitter to earth: and the base (via say a 1k resistor) to the camera pin.
Only 3 components. And could photo a mockup for you late next week, if it'd help: but pretty busy too now, work's been piling up . Editing this between jobs.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 12, 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:36 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
exactly my plan, John. I can see we will get along well
The only reason I was on about the under-voltage device is as a pensioner (without a pension) I got way more time than money. And shipping to Ak... I seen 17 dollars shipping on a 2.45 usd heatsink for the main motor .We aren't talking shipping a Kg here. I cannot afford such.And I love to take 2-3-4 parts and do wot they do for the big bucks... part of my 'hobby' yanno mate
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
I checked the f45's tail motor which failed last week. Found its solder tab disconnected from the pcb. The heat from the motor could have cause it to detach. Soldered the tab back, bench tested ok. I should get a tail motor heat sink.
Rbsix is offline Find More Posts by Rbsix
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
My MJX 645 arrived a couple of days ago. I was suprised to see that it the speed controler is part of the circut board and not seperate. I know this has probally been mentioned in this thred I most likley missed it. anyhow heli flies good as far as I can tell. Its just been so darn windy out hear I have not had an oppertunity to really give it a decent try . I lifted 3 feet off the ground and the wind blew it 20 feet backwards before I could counter act and bring it foward back towards me. We have been having very unusual weather hear in california. normal for back east mabey. VERY WINDY VERY COLD
wileyrc is offline Find More Posts by wileyrc
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:56 AM
United States, NJ, Dover
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
I'm new with the Mjx F45/645 can ya tell me what's it major pitfalls, should I've reconsidered. Mine just arrived today Saturday, ordered it from TechNToys.What are your settings for left throttle. I've searched the web, and it seems you know the most.

Thanks for any good or bad feedback

Robert M
mckoyman is offline Find More Posts by mckoyman
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:10 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckoyman View Post
I'm new with the Mjx F45/645 can ya tell me what's it major pitfalls, should I've reconsidered. Mine just arrived today Saturday, ordered it from TechNToys.What are your settings for left throttle. I've searched the web, and it seems you know the most.

Robert M
Mode 4
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:10 AM
United States, NJ, Dover
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
Please IME STAY AWAY, RUN FROM , DON'T CLICK on HobbyKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
my experience with hobby king is I buy the item and put on backorder. When they get stock, which is usually several weeks, I get one. If you just wait til they get some, the backorders are filled first and they may sell out just filling backorders.
I have been trying to get a turnigy 9x tx since last Feb, but they would not put that item on backorder. They now will allow backorders so I bought one and will get as soon as they have stock.

IME HobbyKing should be investegated, I ordered the Solo Pro 328 ,.......... bad idea. Took fooorrrever over 7 weeks. With that EMS avoid them also if possible
mckoyman is offline Find More Posts by mckoyman
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:15 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
IME HobbyKing should be investegated, I ordered the Solo Pro 328 ,.......... bad idea. Took fooorrrever over 7 weeks. With that EMS avoid them also if possible
16 orders from HK, never a late delivery (Aus warehouse or overseas), never a faulty product.
Best record of over a dozen mail order suppliers. Of course, YMMV.
EMS - never a problem either. China Post - pot luck and a roulette wheel.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:25 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:

Robert M
Asked and answered by you already several times. Mods p 194, only real problem dogbone guide weakness, (as per BThirsk) set to 'MJX mode 4' if you wish to fly US mode (left throttle), reinforce skids. There's no better heli for the money.
'settings' for modes are listed in your manual (p5): if you have the Chinese manual (very unlikely) can give a link to English.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 12, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Mckoyman, Not sure of your question about throttle, I fly US mode 2 but radio's setting for this is mode 4. In menu I have my throttle set at 60% which gives me good hover and forward flight at 1/2 stick without climbing like crazy. Hope this helps. Tom ps the heli is great but motors have short life due to being brushed, say 40 - 60 flights before dying. I will go brushles as soon as stock motor gives out. Also do a search on this site about heat sinks and blade shims to improve responsiveness of heli in flight. Also mod the hoops that dog bones pass through.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Last edited by tracker1955; Jan 12, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:38 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbsix View Post
I checked the f45's tail motor which failed last week. Found its solder tab disconnected from the pcb. The heat from the motor could have cause it to detach. Soldered the tab back, bench tested ok. I should get a tail motor heat sink.
4 MJX F45s, 1000+ flights, never seen this happen. would more suspect faulty QA in China.
However, if you're in a hot climate, might pay to limit flights to 6mins or so. Heat sink can help against very premature failure, but expect motor to fail between 30 and 80 flights either with or without one. The brushes simply wear out, or (occasionally) brush support arms fail.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 12, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Ok dun the temp run...
starting temp - 27.6f
after 4 min - 54.6f
after 8 min - 95.3f
after 10 min - 105.1f

rate of rise 7.75 degrees f / min

I'd say living in a refridgerator has its pluses
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
Hey Wiley, welcome to the best R/C forum on Planet R/C. Take a bit and read the prior postes, this will answer about every question you can have. I did and it did a world of good. The F45 is the best 'bang for your buck'. Unlike coaxials and minis, this bird will fly on mildly windy days with ease. Parts are cheap, when you actually break em. And unlike them spendy birds, you FLY this one regularly (nawt fly once, crash... break stuff, order stuff... wait 20-50 days, put stuff in, fly once again... crash...) I crash daily, as I am just learning. Only thing that I broke was the landing gear legs and a rear prop.
So enjoy your '45, we sure do