Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Arrowshooter (and others interested).

Finally finished and field tested the second F45/450.
Using the Xtreme/plush6A/1811/5x3 system on this one, optimized for this setup.
I've run through about 20 x 7min flights, and - debugged - seems a pretty good system. Not quite as good as the brushed tail, but definitely getting close.
The pic from the air is no big deal, however was taken in an 15 knot wind (measured at local met office, not finger in the air!). That's me lower right, trying to avoid the 5am sunrise, which all helis seem to get magnetically drawn to.
The 3 helis are there to compare - floats on the 'genuine' 450 are to get the boom away from the tinder dry grass cuttings, which also seem to get magically sucked into the belt boom: one major crash as a result so far (the tail boom is a bit like a miniature Van de Graaff generator, when you think about it).
I'm a little unsure about your idea (if I understand it rightly) about using the stock tail gear system with a high Kv BL motor - like the lower inertia of the idea, but those tail gears do fail pretty often (well, in MY hands!).

Belt tail next up for F45/450!
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Guys was there ever a review on the BL kit from this outfit?
http://www.topstoys.com/new-free-shi...58843599392b1c
I still have 30 or so pages to read through... I know there were reports this site was and is shyt...
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:18 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Bob -
It's an expensive solution. The 'standard' conversion here is the HK EH200 motor (in stock atm), the HK Turnigy plush 18A ESC, and a 9 or 10 turn Pinion (Blade 1609 say, from LHS).
You really don't need much else, except basic soldering skills: and HK is probably the most reliable mail order firm in the business.
It's also a very easy conversion, as a main motor ESC drive is built into the F45 PCA. The tail conversion is a very different matter!
If you do convert, you'll never look back. Vastly more power, wind authority, and reliability.
Good Luck
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
United States, NJ, Dover
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
Good reviews of Mjx F45 .... But what ?

I just ordered this heli, its great to read all the positive feedback. But every good has its bad, every ups has its down, so my question is What are some of the unknown negetives?, besides the common basic fp heli issues. Hoping there not many. Mine should be here on Saturday...... can't wait.
mckoyman is offline Find More Posts by mckoyman
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
I'm wondering why there is no f46 thread ?
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
United States, NJ, Dover
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
Scale of 1-10 Mjx f45

OK all you mjx f45 guys, a simple question on a scale of 1-10 what would y'all rate this heli. And would you buy another?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:33 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckoyman View Post
I just ordered this heli, its great to read all the positive feedback. But every good has its bad, every ups has its down, so my question is What are some of the unknown negetives?, besides the common basic fp heli issues. Hoping there not many. Mine should be here on Saturday...... can't wait.
The only real negatives are common to all brushed FPs: the motors normally fail somewhere between 40 and 80 flights.
Other minor problems are addressed on suggested mods p 194 of this thread. And some have suggested that the F45 is 'too easy', and doesn't prepare you adequately for CP. I say it's the best trainer/'fun' heli on the market, and a lot of people won't progress to CP anyway.
Good luck with your choice!

PS - on reflection, you'll need a park, or at least a biggish back yard to fly it. Could be a dealbreaker for some.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:34 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
I'm wondering why there is no f46 thread ?
Too new on the market? - start one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:35 PM
United States, NJ, Dover
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
what are some of unknown issues of mjx f45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
OK, first, you have way too much time on your hands.

Have you noticed any change in motor temp since first flights?

Oh, and the latest rumour is MJX will be releasing a small fp called the MJX-F16. I will need one!

what are some of unknown issues of mjx f45
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Too new on the market? - start one!
Would if I owned one.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:53 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Arrowshooter (and others interested).

Finally finished and field tested the second F45/450.
Using the Xtreme/plush6A/1811/5x3 system on this one, optimized for this setup.
I've run through about 20 x 7min flights, and - debugged - seems a pretty good system. Not quite as good as the brushed tail, but definitely getting close.
The pic from the air is no big deal, however was taken in an 15 knot wind (measured at local met office, not finger in the air!). That's me lower right, trying to avoid the 5am sunrise, which all helis seem to get magnetically drawn to.
The 3 helis are there to compare - floats on the 'genuine' 450 are to get the boom away from the tinder dry grass cuttings, which also seem to get magically sucked into the belt boom: one major crash as a result so far (the tail boom is a bit like a miniature Van de Graaff generator, when you think about it).
I'm a little unsure about your idea (if I understand it rightly) about using the stock tail gear system with a high Kv BL motor - like the lower inertia of the idea, but those tail gears do fail pretty often (well, in MY hands!).

Belt tail next up for F45/450!
Nice Fleet! Decided to order a digital tail servo for the belt drive tail F45/450, so a few days off from flying yet.

BTW, I figured out how I can run the reverse pitch Funcopter blades on the F45/450. Just need to flip over the one-way bearing so it hooks in the opposite direction. Genius!
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
OK some of the mystery as to why She went for the second F45... I heard this uttered under her breath "cause you're a grumpy old fk when you wait a month for parts"... :O:|:O
Did I bh... when She got one of them useless nooks??? (OH did I mention that I was expected to 'sort it right away') oh ok i best shut up... Anyway thanks goes out to hawaiichopper for that deal.
Carry on
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:17 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Nice Fleet! Decided to order a digital tail servo for the belt drive tail F45/450, so a few days off from flying yet.

BTW, I figured out how I can run the reverse pitch Funcopter blades on the F45/450. Just need to flip over the one-way bearing so it hooks in the opposite direction. Genius!
I would NOT have thought of that! - great idea.
Yep, you do need a digital metal gear servo in that job. For my mockup, tried the ex F45 servo (didn't cut it): took the servo out of my second (HK) CP (worked, but not as well as the BL motor).
But this was with the F45 Tx/Rx. Think you're trying with a 6chan?
Cheers!
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckoyman View Post
OK all you mjx f45 guys, a simple question on a scale of 1-10 what would y'all rate this heli. And would you buy another?
I rate this copter 9.875 outta 10... and I just bought another one. Yes I would promote this copter to anyone that has the most basics of flying. It is like a timex watch 'takes a lickin and keeps on tickin'.
It will fly right outta the box, and with a minumal amount of setup, will hover hands free. I only had toy 'coaxial' and some v911 experience prior to the F45 and this forum steer'd me to the F45. Best decision I have made in a while.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:36 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
I would NOT have thought of that! - great idea.
Yep, you do need a digital metal gear servo in that job. For my mockup, tried the ex F45 servo (didn't cut it): took the servo out of my second (HK) CP (worked, but not as well as the BL motor).
But this was with the F45 Tx/Rx. Think you're trying with a 6chan?
Cheers!
John
Actually, it is a Walkera 4ch system with 3 axis gyro. More interested in the tail servo capability than I am the gyro right now, but the gyro will come into play when I wack off the flybar and put a 90 deg swashplate on'er.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter