HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:18 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
YIIIIIPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Came home from night shift, got the head down for a few hours and woke up just over an hour ago to find The Wife had taken delivery of my F645 .

Battery in the heli is charged, first replacement too. Rain is off for the first time in 3 days, wind isn't too high, and the 2nd 2000 mAh battery is on the charger right now. Give it another hour maximum and I'll be down at the meadow making the neighbourhood unsafe

Even though I've had my V911s for about 2 months now, still a bit nervous as I don't have a feel for the F645 yet, and don't have any spare parts in case I SHOULD break anything. Maybe just have to spend the charging time ordering #2 in case anything goes wrong
You'll see a big difference between the V911 and the F45. Lots of momentum with the F45 that must be anticipated. When you are cruising along, the F45 doesn't turn quickly like the V911. Plus, you can really build up the speed with the F45. Fun as the devil, but do plan ahead! Reminds me of racing a BMW and then trying the same technique with a Corvette. Oops, where did the road go?
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:20 PM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
646 Posts
Tail motor

At my last flights, I noticed that sometimes, when I wanted to do right turns (this is the side where the tail rotor has to turn faster to conteract the main rotor torque), the helicopter had problems and hesitations to turn, as if the thrust from the tail rotor didn't suffice.
This tail motor has about 50 flights, and this is corresponding to the average live span of my tail motors.

My last tail motor failure led to a bad crash ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3882 ), so I decided to change the motor before.
I opened the old one, and in fact, one of the carbon brushes was gone, so the collector on the motor's rotor of began to touch the brass arm where the brush was mounted to.
I think in less than 10 flights I would have had problems.
So I think from now I will change the tail motor every 50 flights.

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:15 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,774 Posts
maiden flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper View Post
You'll see a big difference between the V911 and the F45. Lots of momentum with the F45 that must be anticipated. When you are cruising along, the F45 doesn't turn quickly like the V911. Plus, you can really build up the speed with the F45. Fun as the devil, but do plan ahead! Reminds me of racing a BMW and then trying the same technique with a Corvette. Oops, where did the road go?
Oh you mean the "go away nasty tree!!!" syndrome

As you may have guessed, I got some fresh air this afternoon and caught some of it on video. The 1st vid is my F45s maiden flight. The dialogue comes in where my neighbour - who is blind - came wandering along the path tapping his stick, as is his way. I thought nothing of it til he stared circling his stick in the air. Wish I hadn't been too busy concentrating on the heli to catch it on video... classic!! As soon as I reassured him it was a model heli and I was keeping it at a safe distance the stick returned to its usual position .

Vid #2 only gets interesting in the last 10 seconds, but you can't really see the heli coming to rest 30 feet up in the branches of a tree. Fortunately I could reach one of the lower branches, which shook the next branch, which shook... "the toe bone's connected to the - foot bone" is one we all know

End result was:
One cracked canopy, which you can barely notice.
One bent flybar, which has now been straightened.
One borken (sorry ) horizontal tail-boom fin - now superglued.
One bent tail-boom support - removed and straightened.
One dented tail-boom, which will just have to stay that way.
One set of main rotors with half the meadow on them, which have now been washed and shimmed while they were off anyway.

The problem I do still have is a "wobble" on the head, which I have tried to show in the 3rd & 4th vids. Using the eye, I reckon I've got the flybar pretty damn straight, so I don't THINK that's the problem. Any way of checking for sure without waiting for a new flybar to arrive? Tried looking along and above the bar, but it really does look OK. Could my eyes be that bad, or doesn't it take much of a bend to cause vibrations? My only other thought would be a bent main shaft, but surely I couldn't have done that getting caught up in the branches of a tree? Any suggestions would be welcome, as I don't want to wait for my next F45 to arrive (2 - 3 days) before I can get down the meadow again.

One thing is for sure. I never spent this much time repairing any of my V911s after a single crash. Then again, the V911 doesn't fly so far, so high, and so FAST!!!!

Greetz to all, and happy flying
Tigg

Incidentally, video courtesy of an 8 bucks #808 camera from BG. Still need to get the angle on my cap right and practise moving my head instead of just my eyes

MJX F645 first flight - part one (9 min 42 sec)

OOPS!! A TREE!!! (3 min 42 sec)

F45 head vibration (0 min 27 sec)

F45 head vibration 2 (0 min 18 sec)
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:37 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
[
....The problem I do still have is a "wobble" on the head, which I have tried to ..........show
Looking at your first vibration video I'll see that the flybar is still not straight horizontally, it's clearly visible, look closely at the rotating flybar and you'll see it too.

Regards
Flyor is offline Find More Posts by Flyor
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:40 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
tiggertoo1962

Can't tell for sure, but your flybar still looks bent. Looks that way in the last few frames of the 4th vid (3rd will not play) went its stops spinning. Also take the red cap off the top and see if it still looks to wobble as bad. Those things can get cattywompus.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:44 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
tiggertoo1962: Looks like main shaft is bent and also looks like blades are not tracking good. It will tear it up if you keep flying without fixing it. If main blades have cracks or big nicks in them they need to be replaced. Like a bent rim on a bike.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
(dances into the room...) YESSSSSSS it arrived this am. The wife's eyes were as big as mine, seems I have been having so much fun with the v911 (and the smart look of the F45 sure didnt hurt) that SHE WANTS ONE. Please dont awake me from this dream, it is MUCH TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE...
Anyways, I am doing the simple mods (shims, control horn, swashplate ect) before I take 'er up... No camera, it was destroyed and I was refunded... Got such a deal on the replacement I got a complete tail assy also.
The 2.2 Ah LiPoly is LIGHTER than the stock Li-ion... should make for some added punch

Guess I best get her's ordered before this dream ends (or she changes her mind) huh
Got no camera so i will have to tellit vocally... perhaps this after
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:47 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Oh you mean the "go away nasty tree!!!" syndrome
Some nice shots of you flying waaay up there! I find flying later in the day having some lights on the heli helps a lot. Thanks for the video. I hope the fixes get your vibrations back down to normal.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Mar 2009
132 Posts
ScottHeli

Hello to all. I have been reading this thread and have seen a bunch of different mods to the F45. I have had four co axials, 2 art tech, a venom ozone for my little girl, she did pretty good for a, well she was 8 then now 11, and a Blade cx3 that I modded used pod and boom and several of the scale bodies, and of course crashed them all trying to over fly their capabilities.(plus wind) Well I sold it and the rest are hung from the garage ceiling as static. I got a little 3 ch Cobra single rotor fixed pitch and it flys great to the right of course. To the point, I would rather fly than fix, so I just recieved tracking of my new MJX F45, its in New York and I'm in Mississippi. Anyway, I love the scale look of the little cobra just dont do left turns. I would love to fit a light weight fuselage to the F45, something better than that stuff that breaks just putting it together. So, I will have only what comes with it, what minimum mods should I do to make it fly better. Should I fly stock to see for myself or is that just asking for a crash. Is their some you all would say definitely do before even considering flying it, oh and I can fly pretty good and understand the aerodynamics and mechanics, I just want to fly something more than work on it(I was aircraft maintenance for Hurricane Hunters for 8 years working on planes, hardly ever they took us flying) so mod or fly(well hover) first is the question. All welcome suggestions appreciated as I am new to this thread.
I really think this will be better than Eflites expensive stuff. Hope so. Thanks
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:13 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheli View Post
Hello to all. I have been reading this thread and have seen a bunch of different mods to the F45. I have had four co axials, 2 art tech, a venom ozone for my little girl, she did pretty good for a, well she was 8 then now 11, and a Blade cx3 that I modded used pod and boom and several of the scale bodies, and of course crashed them all trying to over fly their capabilities.(plus wind) Well I sold it and the rest are hung from the garage ceiling as static. I got a little 3 ch Cobra single rotor fixed pitch and it flys great to the right of course. To the point, I would rather fly than fix, so I just recieved tracking of my new MJX F45, its in New York and I'm in Mississippi. Anyway, I love the scale look of the little cobra just dont do left turns. I would love to fit a light weight fuselage to the F45, something better than that stuff that breaks just putting it together. So, I will have only what comes with it, what minimum mods should I do to make it fly better. Should I fly stock to see for myself or is that just asking for a crash. Is their some you all would say definitely do before even considering flying it, oh and I can fly pretty good and understand the aerodynamics and mechanics, I just want to fly something more than work on it(I was aircraft maintenance for Hurricane Hunters for 8 years working on planes, hardly ever they took us flying) so mod or fly(well hover) first is the question. All welcome suggestions appreciated as I am new to this thread.
I really think this will be better than Eflites expensive stuff. Hope so. Thanks
The F45 is a great choice and should pretty much hover right out of the box. The first thing to do is check the hover stability and if required, mechanical trim until you are happy, then use the tx trims to fine tune. If you are indoors, even in a garage, the air currents generated (you'll soon see) can have quite an affect on it so take that into account. Give yourself lots of room with this one.

My recommendation is to fly it bone stock until you get the hang of flying it in all orientations and directions. That will be your baseline to measure the effects of any mods. Down the road there are a number of easy changes that you will probably want to do, such as shim the blades, change the elev servo arm and upgrade the battery.

Most more advanced mods, however, are done by experienced flyers to sharpen handling characteristics and enhance power and speed, to suit their personal flying styles. You may or may not like the changes, especially if you're not already proficient in it's stock flight. Take your time and enjoy the F45.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Welkies to the forum Scott. You made the right choice, the F45 is literally 'fly right outta the box' stable. AND when ya do break it, replacement parts are reasonable, and available. I cannot stress enough 'THIS ONE NEEDS LOTS OF SPACE' so keep that in mind. As to mods, really all you need is the aftermarket 2200 ma LiPo battery (it is lighter than the stock battery AND has more output, fits right in the stock battery box too), trading the servo horns, and shimming the main rotor blade play. Total cost, 20 usd for the battery and 3 bucks for the hole reinforcement 'rings'.

BTW what part of mississippi? I am from Tupelo (keyword FROM) now in Anchorage Alaska
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Tail wag trouble

In my last post I talked about straightening a bent shaft on my tail motor that came that way from the manufacturer. I haven't had any crashes yet, but I just noticed it didn't sound right so I opened up the rear gear box and could see the wobble in the pinion gear. I carefully straightened the shaft with a pair of pliers until the wobble appeared to be gone. When I reassembled the rear gear box and ran the motor up on the bench, everything sounded like it was meshing much better. The thin shim I installed just above the main gear to remove the slop in the main shaft seems to be working well as I don't see the swash plate move up and down when I spin her up any longer. When I got home from work tonight I took her out in front of the house under the street light to get a little hover practice. The heli had been in the garage all day so it was pretty cold, when I spun her up I noticed a tail wag that I really hadn't had before, and occasionally she would whip around like the gyro wasn't working right, losing the tail hold. I'm wondering if this is just because the electronics were cold. I brought it in the house to warm up while I ate dinner and posted this. This just seemed odd to me as I have flown it several times the last week or two and have not had it do this tail wag thing. Motor is to new to be going out yet as I have less than a dozen flights on it. Should be warmed up now so I guess I'll try it again and see if the tail wag is still there.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
GRRRRRRRRRRRR my first flight was both EXCELLENT and ... seems the plastic that MJX uses isn't as resistant to cold as I hoped for, a 6 foot drop to the frozen parking lot resulted in death of a tail rotor blade and snapped the rear landing gear strut. (the plastic WLtoys uses on the v911 is EXCELLENT for cold weather)
I know, I know... says 40 degrees f min... FFS thats barely 5 months outta the year here :@
SOMEONE... ANYONE do tell me of a landing gear that will fit AND is cold-resistant.
In the meantime, what method of repairing this type of plastic is best?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:53 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
In my last post I talked about straightening a bent shaft on my tail motor that came that way from the manufacturer. I haven't had any crashes yet, but I just noticed it didn't sound right so I opened up the rear gear box and could see the wobble in the pinion gear. I carefully straightened the shaft with a pair of pliers until the wobble appeared to be gone. When I reassembled the rear gear box and ran the motor up on the bench, everything sounded like it was meshing much better. The thin shim I installed just above the main gear to remove the slop in the main shaft seems to be working well as I don't see the swash plate move up and down when I spin her up any longer. When I got home from work tonight I took her out in front of the house under the street light to get a little hover practice. The heli had been in the garage all day so it was pretty cold, when I spun her up I noticed a tail wag that I really hadn't had before, and occasionally she would whip around like the gyro wasn't working right, losing the tail hold. I'm wondering if this is just because the electronics were cold. I brought it in the house to warm up while I ate dinner and posted this. This just seemed odd to me as I have flown it several times the last week or two and have not had it do this tail wag thing. Motor is to new to be going out yet as I have less than a dozen flights on it. Should be warmed up now so I guess I'll try it again and see if the tail wag is still there.
Whatever happened to your tail gears/shaft is in fact causing them to hang up. Best you get a new tail setup.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Well, just tried it again, same as before but only wags when hovering, but if I turn left or right it smooths right out. Didn't get any involuntary spinning this time. Will have to keep an eye on it, if it gives me anymore trouble I may have to replace the gear box and motor. If that doesn't work, then a new pcb. I wish I could adjust the gyro some how, it acts as if the gyro can't settle on the right rpm's to keep the tail locked in a hover so it seems like it revs.
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955