Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Fauconnier -
Thought so (but did check).
Worked in Algeria for 6 months (long ago). There my only options were to speak (bad) French, Arabic, Kabyle - or to myself lol. Can certainly see a common link between your falconry and r/c helis.
Would think the (real) birds wouldn't take too kindly to the mechanical, though. Over here, they seem determined to down any opposition - particularly foamie fixed wing.
More cautious with the 450 helis, fortunately....
10 years ago, my peregrine falcon attacked a good size heli long before I knew something about rc heli. She had few severe cuts to her feet and a little commotion, but recovered well. I was surprised that the pilot was not affected by the damage to the heli. Now I know.....It happens all the time.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:29 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonamorris6 View Post
Here is the video of my first flight and a few hard crashes................
Do you have any idea why the crashes happen?
I can't see it clearly on your video, could be that the fly bar hit the canopy or tail.

Regards
Flyor is offline Find More Posts by Flyor
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:57 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyor View Post
Do you have any idea why the crashes happen?
I can't see it clearly on your video, could be that the fly bar hit the canopy or tail.

Regards
It's called inexperience. I think he did exceptional first his first time with a 4 channel single rotor Heli.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
It's called inexperience. I think he did exceptional first his first time with a 4 channel single rotor Heli.
Yes..inexperience was the culprit. I basically killed the throttle when I saw that the heli was going to fast for me to try and recover...I have read that its better to fall out of the sky then try and correct yourself and run the throttle in the ground. Most of the crashes were from the heli coming in too fast and myself not being experienced enough to bring it back out due to orientation and good controls...That's why I have decided to keep low to the ground and focus more on orientation and controls before I go back out to the field and as I have heard from many people, more SIM time...Can't stress that enough....

Thanks for all the feedback as well... I have always wanted RC planes back in the day when RC Heli's were big bucks and impossible to get into... Its awesome now the this hobby is so much easier to work your way up... And even though I haven't flown any RC planes, I believe the RC Heli is much more enjoyable...

-J
Jasonamorris6 is offline Find More Posts by Jasonamorris6
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:08 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,622 Posts
MJX F645 in Nürnberg...

quote from "V911 dealers" thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Gave a friend's son a V911 for Christmas just to keep the club expanding. Turns out he started getting into it himself (surprise, surprise ) and mentioned that he had spotted a shop in Nürnberg recently which sold quads, copters and such like. Naturally, thinking I might have come across a source for quick spare parts in case I needed anything urgently, we took a wander out there the other day.

We arrived too early, since the guy only opens at 11am, and had a look in the window. Saw a whole bunch of 3-channel co-axes sitting in the window and - lo and behold - a couple of boxes with "MJX F645" on them sitting on the shelves. "Gadzooks! and Oho!" thinks I, having finally ordered my first one about 2 days previously. "Here's the perfect source for F45 parts!" - more about that side of things on the F45 thread...

Cut a long story short, as a source of spares for my V911 this shop is a non starter. I then mentioned the F645s sitting on the shelves, and this is where we switch threads...
First thing he did was tell me that he had brought these "original F45s" directly from China himself, and then launched into the "no matter how much I bend and bash this thing, I can't break it" monologue, complete with bending blades and bashing it off the walls. Looking decidedly unimpressed I told him I'd be happy if he could get access to the originals, as I would like to have the 7-shaped dogbones. I explained that the "dogbone guide" was a bit of a weak point since they had changed to the straight bones, and that a lot of people were now reinforcing it with a paper clip and epoxy resin. The dude just looked at me like I was from another planet and told me that NONE of his customers had EVER complained about the part breaking... maybe cos he's only had them for 2 weeks and has only sold one? Decide for yourselves.

His next U-turn came when I asked if he had the new model with the flat gyro and the new TX. All of a sudden it wasn't the "original" he was selling any more, but the "brand new version". Had already spotted the TX had the red flashing top left and right, but got him to take the canopy off just to make sure. Here is where the guy gets his first (and only, as far as I am concerned) plus point. It was indeed the new pcb hiding under there.

I then asked how much the set cost, and was glad my buddy was there to catch me before I hit the deck. "It usually costs 299€, but I'm GIVING IT AWAY for only 249€, and I'm throwing in the camera FOR FREE!!" I understand that shops have to have a mark-up to cover their overheads, but there ARE limits.

I decided this was an opportune moment to tell him I had just bought one online, WITH two extra 2000mAh batteries - but naturally WITHOUT the camera, which is available for an extra 22€ - for slightly under 99€, and have been in a forum for several weeks boning up on the bird. His reply? "I am the only official dealer in Germany for MJX and have an exclusive contract with the company! Anything you find online for these prices is a fake, and you have no guarantee and no after-sales service!" (like who's going to guarantee your heli when you smash it off walls and trees anyway).

I of course told him I'd rather repair any damage myself with the invaluable information to be found on this forum. He said such forums were only for people who know nothing, and he wouldn't waste his invaluable time on them as all he would do was give, and wouldn't get anything out of it. Kind of gives you an insight into the guy's head I suppose...

At this point I told him I wouldn't waste any more of his "invaluable time" and would let him get on with whatever he does while he's waiting for customers. Repair his "indestructible helis" maybe??

Fazit:
This shop - D-Worldtech, Nürnberg - is IMHO directed at dads with too much money who want to buy a heli for someone who has no interest in maintaining it and runs back to the shop every time something breaks. It certainly doesn't qualify as a LHS.

Disclaimer: this article was written based on my on personal experience and opinions, and is in no way meant to reflect on the integrity or technical skills of the shop owner.

P.S. I don't know if anyone directly connected with MJX reads this thread, but if they do they might want to look into claims made regarding "exclusive contracts" as it could possibly affect sales of their product through other legitimate sources
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:08 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
sounds like your average LHS keeper, they all have exclusive deals and contracts etc. lol

The guy I used to go to here who might I add is no longer in business, used to buy all of the China imports and sell them as expensive real brand named products and charge a massive 1000% markup on the products.
Then would have the cheek to complain that we would buy parts etc from the internet instead of buying from him?? knowing full well that we knew what he was doing???
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:55 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,449 Posts
Prior to the Christmas holidays there was a small RC shop set up in our local mall. The shop was selling heli's I recognize like the F645. The price was $199CAD - so roughly double what the average Joe would pay if they knew they could find it online. Certainly a heavy mark-up but considering the cost of a space in the mall - they'd need a huge mark-up to cover that cost and turn a reasonable profit.

The local hobby stores tucked away in smaller retail areas seem to be focused on carrying Blade helicopters and the odd Syma or mystery brand. Their pricing is certainly higher than I had expected but nowhere near the examples you guys posted here. I wonder what a reasonable mark-up is on things like this.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Malls and hobby shops rely more on impulse buying of what they have in stock and push those items heavily, theres no way a 'mom and pop' store can compete with the volume sales of the big places and/or direct from China.

Its simple economics, however I notice that more LHS have no real knowlege of the mechanics of these helis and some even less about the broader spectrum of RC, but they all know a pro or talk like they are, untill you call BS and then the attitude starts.

I'm still a noob with about 6 month into this and I know 10 times more than the LHS around here. Of course I learned almost everything from these great forums and people on them.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
51 Posts
I get another mjx f45. And after 15 flights i deiscovered a cracked loop.no crashes whatsoever.so i used soldering wick both ends soldered together.and glued by epoxy glue (defcon 5ton).fingers crossed it ll fix the problem with the weak loops.
Vladicopter is offline Find More Posts by Vladicopter
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
51 Posts
Its tricky to upload all pics at the same time from ipad somehow.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Nov 2012
51 Posts
Just glued and gonna let it dry.i received the 3 of this parts from banggood.com but in all of them that inner brown little tube is missing.so dont throw yours away if it has broken loop,you might have to get that tube out to use it on new loops part.hope that make sense
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:17 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
sounds like your average LHS keeper, they all have exclusive deals and contracts etc. lol

The guy I used to go to here who might I add is no longer in business, used to buy all of the China imports and sell them as expensive real brand named products and charge a massive 1000% markup on the products.
Then would have the cheek to complain that we would buy parts etc from the internet instead of buying from him?? knowing full well that we knew what he was doing???
Much the same in my neck of the woods as you (and Rexless, and Tiggertoo), chain of 'hobby stands' in larger shopping malls.
Actually a pretty nice asian guy running them, but $A250 for a 645. He said the big seller was the 639 (much easier to fly, less returns, big repeat market for rubber edged blades) - also at $250. They often fly the big F39's - 450 size - IN the crowded malls, which is certainly walking a bit on the wild side imo.
Notice after Xmas the price is down to $175: I guess the word is getting round!

The paperclip reinforcing -
I find the easiest way is to shape the clip to a pretty good fit first (tedious), then put in place (and - quickly! - solder the ends together in situ): finally running a bead of epoxy round the whole shebang.
It'll be fine even if a loop is cracked. A bit of CA first, then as above. Have never had a loop break after the treatment. I do use one size up from the standard smallest paper clip, though.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 06, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:52 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Much the same in my neck of the woods as you (and Rexless, and Tiggertoo), chain of 'hobby stands' in larger shopping malls.
Actually a pretty nice asian guy running them, but $A250 for a 645. He said the big seller was the 639 (much easier to fly, less returns, big repeat market for rubber edged blades) - also at $250. They often fly the big F39's IN the crowded malls, which is certainly walking a bit on the wild side imo.Notice after Xmas the price is down to $175: I guess the word is getting round!

The paperclip reinforcing -
I find the easiest way is to shape the clip to a pretty good fit first (tedious), then put in place (and - quickly! - solder the ends together in situ): finally running a bead of epoxy round the whole shebang.
It'll be fine even if a loop is cracked. A bit of CA first, then as above. Have never had a loop break after the treatment. I do use one size up from the standard smallest paper clip, though.
That F39 is a beautifully stable and predictable flyer with good power and 4 channels. It can do a clean, banked turn practically on a dime. Its low head speed (it floats more than flys) and rubber edged blades make it pretty safe. If I was going to demonstrate a large heli in a crowded mall - that would be the one I would choose (within reason of course).

The problem with the F39 is that it's too darn big for indoors, can only hover around in small yard, and like most coaxes, needs almost calm winds to really enjoy when you do get to a larger area, which for me at this time, is seldom.

On the F45 front, it is interesting that I never had any issues with that loop breaking on my first edition F45, which, I now sold, due to its collecting dust.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:21 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
I loved that F39, Gordonzo - even fitted a tail rotor to give it some wind authority. Still got one. But I found that blade strike (well, in my hands!) was a bit of a downer, particularly as you'd have to replace the blade as often as not afterward.
But a great beginner, surely.
Regards
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:41 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
That F39 is a beautifully stable and predictable flyer with good power and 4 channels. It can do a clean, banked turn practically on a dime. Its low head speed (it floats more than flys) and rubber edged blades make it pretty safe. If I was going to demonstrate a large heli in a crowded mall - that would be the one I would choose (within reason of course).

The problem with the F39 is that it's too darn big for indoors, can only hover around in small yard, and like most coaxes, needs almost calm winds to really enjoy when you do get to a larger area, which for me at this time, is seldom.

On the F45 front, it is interesting that I never had any issues with that loop breaking on my first edition F45, which, I now sold, due to its collecting dust.

regards . . . g
Hi g,
Any secrets to selling your F45? I'm not having much luck with interest in the classifieds here. Could be the post holidays no cash scenario?!
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper