HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Take off the PCB so you can see the bottom. Look for burned traces like this:
I love this picture, been there before (many times)
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:05 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc4 View Post
I don't risk big helis below freezing my cheap Gyro gives me the NFW below 30F don't know what the Align's would do but it's to risky. Most of my flying has been with V911 indoors or with my mini quads -17F last night here. My big quad is waiting on parts I crashed it in the cold KK2 board spazzed out and bent a motor shaft and did in 3 props and broke frame. But the good thing is the KK2 is still ticking. I see some guys have made little heaters to keep board warm, me I will wait for the thaw,
I was hoping to get away with it but it was not meant to be today. I really should dust off the V911's and the V939 and wait for warmer weather. I know I'm pushing the limits but I have had tons of successful flights with the F45 and quite a few with the Armattan quad... it's that -5 degrees Celcius line I really need to stick to.

Well, that warming idea has merit. Maybe if I get a big SUV I can drive it around all day to help with the global warming movement.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:35 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I was hoping to get away with it but it was not meant to be today. I really should dust off the V911's and the V939 and wait for warmer weather. I know I'm pushing the limits but I have had tons of successful flights with the F45 and quite a few with the Armattan quad... it's that -5 degrees Celcius line I really need to stick to.

Well, that warming idea has merit. Maybe if I get a big SUV I can drive it around all day to help with the global warming movement.
I used to fly last winter at between 0 and -5 with no problems. Never tried colder than that as I am a pussy.
With the AVS gyro, I can't even go that cold. I have not been doing any outside with any flybarless helis as I don't know whether the controller would handle it well.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:13 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
if I get the chance to try it I'll keep that in mind. It'll be a while until I can get more "stuff".
Woops! I forgot to say 6ch cp heli with a 3 axis gyro as he is using the KK2 board from a quad copter which has the 3 axis gyro the same as my Skyartec X3 V does which levels the heli like a virtual autopilot and does heading hold as well, that's why quads are so stable and maneuverable.

Here is a link to the new ALIGN T-REX 450PRO DFC Super Combo KX015087(3GX included)
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonamorris6 View Post
Just got my f45 today... Quick question before I test it out, I'm a beginner so with that said, whats a good tx setup for a beginners first fight? (%'s on the tx controls)
Anyone??? I wanna try this thing out!! lol... Also... The wind is pretty bad here... whats the likelihood of this bird hovering a few feet in my kitchen?? Yes, no??
Jasonamorris6 is offline Find More Posts by Jasonamorris6
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:56 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Woops! I forgot to say 6ch cp heli with a 3 axis gyro as he is using the KK2 board from a quad copter which has the 3 axis gyro the same as my Skyartec X3 V does which levels the heli like a virtual autopilot and does heading hold as well, that's why quads are so stable and maneuverable.

Here is a link to the new ALIGN T-REX 450PRO DFC Super Combo KX015087(3GX included)
That 450 looks beautiful. Now I will clear that from my mind or I'm toast.
KK2 does head holding? I use the auto level but my quad drifts a bit, rotating to the right. I'll have to check into that!

Quote:
Anyone??? I wanna try this thing out!! lol... Also... The wind is pretty bad here... whats the likelihood of this bird hovering a few feet in my kitchen?? Yes, no??
You should be able to fly with stock settings. I would suggest a garage rather than a kitchen.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
That 450 looks beautiful. Now I will clear that from my mind or I'm toast.
KK2 does head holding? I use the auto level but my quad drifts a bit, rotating to the right. I'll have to check into that!

You should be able to fly with stock settings. I would suggest a garage rather than a kitchen.
Thanks! I actually just said the heck with it and took it outside with stock settings... I had to adjust the trim a lot but I think that was the wind, Ill trim it in a garage tomorrow. It/I flew pretty well... I was surprised. It was actually easier than the SIM I have been using... The controls were different from the sim but once I figured that out, I had no problem...

About the battery, it seemed like it was getting a little low plus I was freezing, but is it ok to recharge the battery even if it wasn't all that low? i.e - charging a 40%-70% battery back up to 100%?? Is that ok for the battery?

-J
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:46 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Or, the same thing for us in Oz? -
http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/goods.php?id=1556
- probably better value, as the Taiwan deal seems to have shipping charges, and a 'no returns' caveat.

Was sorely tempted with the 450 plus DFC - RTF at a similar price, until I realized it had all the same flimsy plastic parts as my 450 plus flybarred RTF, which has been rebuilt with mainly HK hardware. Excellent electronics, however.
SO tempting to pull the trigger, though! - and just one left, too .
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I actually just said the heck with it and took it outside with stock settings... I had to adjust the trim a lot but I think that was the wind, Ill trim it in a garage tomorrow. It/I flew pretty well... I was surprised. It was actually easier than the SIM I have been using... The controls were different from the sim but once I figured that out, I had no problem...

About the battery, it seemed like it was getting a little low plus I was freezing, but is it ok to recharge the battery even if it wasn't all that low? i.e - charging a 40%-70% battery back up to 100%?? Is that ok for the battery?

-J
When you go into the garage, start with all of your trims set to 0. Adjust your swash plate to level and try to hoover. Make further adjustments on the servo linkages which should get you real close. Do one linkage at a time since it will effect movement of the other. Turn the ends in full turns since one side has a larger hole to fit over the ball. Then make final adjustments with your trims. Doing it this way will get you even swash movement in all directions.

As for the battery you are probably good with what you are doing, but I would get a voltage alarm and set it to 3.2 volts for the stock batteries.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
When you go into the garage, start with all of your trims set to 0. Adjust your swash plate to level and try to hoover. Make further adjustments on the servo linkages which should get you real close. Do one linkage at a time since it will effect movement of the other. Turn the ends in full turns since one side has a larger hole to fit over the ball. Then make final adjustments with your trims. Doing it this way will get you even swash movement in all directions.

As for the battery you are probably good with what you are doing, but I would get a voltage alarm and set it to 3.2 volts for the stock batteries.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18987

I think that idea...

This one work?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:02 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Quote:

-J
Congratulations on the first flight, especially if you had to change your mode to fly it.
However, the F45 can be switched to any mode, and it's pretty important that you choose whatever is appropriate for your country: e.g Mode 2 for US, which is actually shown as mode 4 on your Tx. It can be very hard to changeover later - I know!
The battery - it's actually better to avoid heavy discharges wherever possible, and will do no harm to 'top up' your battery as you have done. I'll link a very good LiPo info site in a few mins.
Cheers!
John

Link - http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Congratulations on the first flight, especially if you had to change your mode to fly it.
However, the F45 can be switched to any mode, and it's pretty important that you choose whatever is appropriate for your country: e.g Mode 2 for US, which is actually shown as mode 4 on your Tx.
The battery - it's actually better to avoid heavy discharges wherever possible, and will do no harm to 'top up' your battery as you have done. I'll link a very good LiPo info site in a few mins.
Cheers!
John

Thanks! Help me out here as I'm still learning... The SIM I use said mode 2 (left stick up and down and spins, right stick leans back, forward and side to side) When I went to fly her, my tx said mode 2 im pretty sure but this time the left stick went up and down and tilted her left and right while the right stick tilted her backward and forward and spin... I know I'm not using the correct words here but I wanna make sure I didnt get my definitions mixed up! lol... Make sense?

-J
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:22 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! Help me out here as I'm still learning... The SIM I use said mode 2 (left stick up and down and spins, right stick leans back, forward and side to side) When I went to fly her, my tx said mode 2 im pretty sure but this time the left stick went up and down and tilted her left and right while the right stick tilted her backward and forward and spin... I know I'm not using the correct words here but I wanna make sure I didnt get my definitions mixed up! lol... Make sense?

-J
It sure does.
You should change your Tx to 'MJX mode 4' (which is really Mode 2) asap, assuming you live in North America. The instruction book shows how (unless it's a Chinese one, in which case we can post a link).
I know it's a PITA, but it's gonna be a much bigger one to change back later. Absolutely no other major manufacturer uses this MJX Mode 4 system (though for some weird reason, $20 Kmart/Walmart helis do).
Your sim is right!

PS I started on 'real' mode 4 (the only thing I certainly don't thank MJX for), and now have to rewire most Tx's I use (because you can't teach old dogs new tricks!)....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 03, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
However, the F45 can be switched to any mode, and it's pretty important that you choose whatever is appropriate for your country: e.g Mode 2 for US, which is actually shown as mode 4 on your Tx. It can be very hard to changeover later - I know!
Cheers!
John

Ok...after rereading your post I understand... I was flying mode 4 even though it said mode 2 on tx (i wont even ask why that is) I actually kind of liked mode 4 but now that I know, Ill try and fly mode 2 (mode 4 on tx) tomorrow and see...maybe Ill be even better...
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
It sure does.
You should change your Tx to 'MJX mode 4' (which is really Mode 2) asap, assuming you live in North America. The instruction book shows how (unless it's a Chinese one, in which case we can post a link).
I know it's a PITA, but it's gonna be a much bigger one to change back later. Absolutely no other major manufacturer uses this Mode 4 system (though for some weird reason, $20 Kmart/Walmart helis do).
Your sim is right!

PS I started on 'real' mode 4 (the only thing I certainly don't thank MJX for), and now have to rewire most Tx's I use (because you can't teach old dogs new tricks!)....
I think the reason I liked mode 4 so much is because on the sim, my thumb on the throttle always seemed to veer left or right causing the bird to rotate but in mode 4 if my thumb veered, it only lean which didnt cause a lot of problems... But maybe that was the sim (it was on my ipad ) Ill switch to mode 2 tomorrow and see how that goes... thanks! I said I wasnt going to ask, but why are mode 2 and 4 mixed up?????