HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:01 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Now that you mention it I remember reading something about twitchy servos on the KK2 board. It sounds like some people use servos for tricopters to control the yaw? hmm.. I just found this: http://youtu.be/JkYPyzQlelo - no flight yet though.
like to know the settings and wiring layout. It would make my day.

Ray
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
F45/450 First Real Flight

Today I went out front for a first real test flight of the F45/450 (F445) and what joy it is to fly. Very smooth and stable with zero odd tendencies. I wish I could video since watching this big guy fly is a joy. Need to talk the wifey into going to the park with me I guess.

I balanced it out with 34 grams of clay in the nose so I have very proportional movement in all directions. I am using Extreme HB blades which helps with the smoothness of the flight, but do put an extra drain on the 2000mAh battery. I have my eye on a 2600mAh pack that will take up the rest of the battery space, so that will be next before I switch to the stock blades.

I like this thing so much that instead of converting it to the belt driven tail I will just build another one with all the bells and whistles. BThirsk If you really decide to try to mill a fixed pitch head with a built in 8 degree pitch, I would be very interested in purchasing something like that from you so I could use some different types of blades.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:21 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
So i just un-boxed my new F45 and switched to stick "MOD 4" My rudder is clearly reversed. I tried several avenues to fix this. but I came up very empty. any help you can offer would be fantastic. Thank you in advance.
Mister Gassy is offline Find More Posts by Mister Gassy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
@Eric.Jr.Sax where do you live? I could use that board if it is not already spoken for. I am in Minnesota
PM'ed you!
Eric.Jr.Sax is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jr.Sax
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Gassy View Post
So i just un-boxed my new F45 and switched to stick "MOD 4" My rudder is clearly reversed. I tried several avenues to fix this. but I came up very empty. any help you can offer would be fantastic. Thank you in advance.
What do you meen by "reversed". The motor turn backwards? On the F45 transmitter Mod 2 is Mod 4 and visa versa.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:31 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Congratulations Arrowshooter!
Am sure the big battery will balance out the heli nicely: certainly worked well on mine. Are you going to list your final build/pics (at rest)?
And certainly agree it's really hard to go back to the stock frame after flying the 45/450. Chalk and cheese. Even fooled a 'real' CP pilot yesterday, thought I was taking crazy risks with a 450 CP in wind/ height (for a geriatric!) till he saw the Tx lol.
But certainly feel your pain trying to photo with standard camera single handed in flight. Getting that pic of mine on page 335 was no joke: however, would NEVER have attempted it with a 450 CP.
Well done .
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:39 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
If the tail thrust direction is reversed, the motor may simply be wired incorrectly. I have had this happen with an F45 main motor: new heli, OOtB.
If so, fix is simple: Just invert and resolder the two wires on the tail motor. Worth at try, for diagnostic purposes, anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
What do you meen by "reversed". The motor turn backwards? On the F45 transmitter Mod 2 is Mod 4 and visa versa.

Reversed meaning left stick full left- heli yaw's right, visa versa...
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:02 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
If the tail motor is turning correctly, the Tx may simply be wired wrongly. If you're reasonably good with a soldering iron, it's an easy job to open up the Tx and reverse the two outer wires on the Yaw pot.
I've had to do this with my own mods, could post a picture if it'd help.
Alternatively, the Tx could be sent back under warranty. It's a very versatile Tx, but no way to change this in software alone (AFIK).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
If the tail motor is turning correctly, the Tx may simply be wired wrongly. If you're reasonably good with a soldering iron, it's an easy job to open up the Tx and reverse the two outer wires on the Yaw pot.
I've had to do this with my own mods, could post a picture if it'd help.
Alternatively, the Tx could be sent back under warranty. It's a very versatile Tx, but no way to change this in software alone (AFIK).
Def. I am decent with a soldering Iron. a pic would be invaluable. Thank you so much. on a side note, I got this from Amazon I know returning it would be hassle free. but I am pretty handy, and having a picture of the necessary mod would help me make a more informed decision. Thanks. Cheers
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
I think I get what you mean. Try putting the transmitter into Mod 2 see if it does what you want.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
Ive been hanging out in the v911 thread since I just ordered my h911 today but wanted to say my f45 comes in friday! Can't wait! Not sure how much I'll do first thought since I want to try out and practice with the h911 first... Maybe I'll just charge her up and start with a nice hover.

For all the beginners, List the TOP - Do's and Don'ts for first f45 flight??? I'd love to hear the top pointers...

Thanks and I'll for sure have a video of the "first" flight...hopefully its not too too bad!!!
Jasonamorris6 is offline Find More Posts by Jasonamorris6
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I think I get what you mean. Try putting the transmitter into Mod 2 see if it does what you want.
In "stick Mod 2" the rudder still yaw's in reverse, even though it is mapped to the right stick. hmmmm....
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:46 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Def. I am decent with a soldering Iron. a pic would be invaluable. Thank you so much. on a side note, I got this from Amazon I know returning it would be hassle free. but I am pretty handy, and having a picture of the necessary mod would help me make a more informed decision. Thanks. Cheers
Here's two pics, which should give the idea, and help a bit IF the problem is a reversed control. (I'm assuming your tailprop is running in the right direction). Again, sorry about the quality - no Macro.

- Opening the Tx just requires the removal of the screws (including those in the handle) and it snaps apart.
- The actual Yaw pot will be now be obvious (I fly mode 4 - long story, so I've had to do this on many Tx's).
- All you have to do is reverse the yellow and black leads shown wired to the pot in the smaller picture - your actual pot may of course be on the other side (depending on your mode).

10 min job!
Good luck with the mod .

Edit - The actual wiring to these pots is definitely not standard in this particular Tx!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Jan 02, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
@Eric.Jr.Sax no message try again
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly