HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:02 AM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I noticed the gyro you are using. I assume it works OK?
I am using the HK401 AVS gyro and it works fine for my except in cold weather. After about 3 to 4 minutes, the cold makes it go nuts. Does cold effect yours as well.
Yep The Telebee works better but all I have is one and I have it on another Heli. Seems like once you get below freezing Things don't work well. Some of the servo's react real slow also. Usually if everything is warm to start I can get 1 good flight 6-8 minutes.(motors pull more amperage in cold) Waiting for the January thaw. We are supposed to see -5 to -20F tonight. I'm a real die hard but the last time out I couldn't even read LCD on TX.

Ray
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I like it. Going that route would definately be easier that the 450 size heli due to the size of the main shaft.

Question, Is the screw holding the main gear in about to come out?
The reason I used the Heli Max was it was setting in the parts pile. It was one of my first Heli's. I hated the thing as a CP. The original head design was awful, But the frame and main gear held up well and it's light. I was impressed with the way the MJX flew, even though it was heavy and I had bad luck with Mjx tail motors. So I Built something that works for me. I lost my original MJX when TX lost contact with RX and throttle went full with a Full charged Battery after 3-400 feet I lost sight of it. After that I went with Flysky TH9 and built fail safes into the system. Answer to your question yes I was taking screw out to locktight it and got doing something else,Thanks for noticing. Even buying parts new It's not a bad build I was always going to build a better anti rotation bracket on it but I have 30 flights or more on that one with the old brushed tail. I was always thinking big battery but with a light frame you can get almost as much time with a 15-1800 7.4 lipo. The Heli Max parts compare with the Align parts The main gears are true and round some of my 450 builds the HK main gears were not true and would hit and miss motor pinion. Again I'm not saying to build or not but if you want a nice lite flying FP 400 size Heli here is an option.

Ray
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Here is a neat little gadget that goes in between main motor and Rx for the ones using Tx9 or other TX RX combo's. If you lose communication between TX RX it gently lowers Throttle and sets the bird down. Saved my Heli's a couple times. Sometimes every little edge helps. I guess it should work with MJX board using brushless motor. The little v929 has a similar system when battery gets low.

Ray
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
A little at a time

When I first got my f45 I had already been flying my v911 for a while, so I went a head with some initial mods to the f45 to improve it's performance, Specifically the shims for the main blades. As a precaution I only added one shim to each blade though as I didn't want to get ahead of my learning curve. Last night I made two additional shims from the same plastic sheet I had used before, and added them to the blades on the top side, now I have no play left at the root and have to push the blades to make them move. Made a test flight this morning before the winds could come up to much, ( was already at 4-5 mph) what a difference. The heli felt so much more responsive than before. You all had been talking about the dyhedral that is created as the blade flexes, when I flew fixed wing we used to reinforce foam wings by sticking tape on the bottom of the wing from tip to tip at the highest point on the cord. Does anyone think this might work with the stock blades to prevent them from flexing so much. Am almost tempted to try a wide piece of clear packing tape from root to tip on the bottom of both my blades and see what happens. My main concern would be the tape coming loose upsetting the stability of the heli. Any thoughts?
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc4 View Post
Here is a neat little gadget that goes in between main motor and Rx for the ones using Tx9 or other TX RX combo's. If you lose communication between TX RX it gently lowers Throttle and sets the bird down. Saved my Heli's a couple times. Sometimes every little edge helps. I guess it should work with MJX board using brushless motor. The little v929 has a similar system when battery gets low.

Ray
What I wanted to say was the little X! not the V929
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
517 Posts
@rpc4 I have a few questions. I found a helimax cp at the LHS boanyard.
Did you substitute the f45 electronics? What other parts did you sub besides the head? I wonder just how much more this thing can be modded.
Like a brushless motor for example.
Just wondering this looks like a gigle project.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:31 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker1955 View Post
When I first got my f45 I had already been flying my v911 for a while, so I went a head with some initial mods to the f45 to improve it's performance, Specifically the shims for the main blades. As a precaution I only added one shim to each blade though as I didn't want to get ahead of my learning curve. Last night I made two additional shims from the same plastic sheet I had used before, and added them to the blades on the top side, now I have no play left at the root and have to push the blades to make them move. Made a test flight this morning before the winds could come up to much, ( was already at 4-5 mph) what a difference. The heli felt so much more responsive than before. You all had been talking about the dyhedral that is created as the blade flexes, when I flew fixed wing we used to reinforce foam wings by sticking tape on the bottom of the wing from tip to tip at the highest point on the cord. Does anyone think this might work with the stock blades to prevent them from flexing so much. Am almost tempted to try a wide piece of clear packing tape from root to tip on the bottom of both my blades and see what happens. My main concern would be the tape coming loose upsetting the stability of the heli. Any thoughts?
If you want to try something with the stock blades. I would suggest maybe attaching a small piece of carbon fiber on the blade bottom.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Hey guys,... anybody need an old version F45 PCB board? Company sent the wrong version, but I can't send it back,.... they won't except returns or exchanges on opened electronic equipment. They did say they'd send me the new version board at a 50% discount when they get them in stock tho! Anyway, I can't use it! Just figured someone in here might be in need of one of the old version boards. Just lemme know.
Eric.Jr.Sax is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jr.Sax
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:42 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
If you want to try something with the stock blades. I would suggest maybe attaching a small piece of carbon fiber on the blade bottom.
I haven't worked with CF other than to replace arms on the V929. Any tips on how to get and use CF for something like that?

The quad I'm flying now has the KK2 flight control board... is there such thing as a generic flight control board for use on things like these custom 450's etc? I'm reading through the multiwii stuff but it seems focused on multi-copters - but I don't quite understand everything I'm reading there so I might not be seeing the right information.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
517 Posts
@Eric.Jr.Sax where do you live? I could use that board if it is not already spoken for. I am in Minnesota
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I haven't worked with CF other than to replace arms on the V929. Any tips on how to get and use CF for something like that?

The quad I'm flying now has the KK2 flight control board... is there such thing as a generic flight control board for use on things like these custom 450's etc? I'm reading through the multiwii stuff but it seems focused on multi-copters - but I don't quite understand everything I'm reading there so I might not be seeing the right information.
They say it does and will run servos as well as ESC's I also have KK2 boards but I have yet to see anything on YouTube showing how to set up a heli. I had to throw settings out the window and figure the thing out myself on my quad. Currently I am working on using a 3 axis Gyro that was a Orange HK special It looks promising If you want pic's I will post them. It has manual trim pots and rev sw's so there is no programming. On the CF Ebay has quite bit if you look up Quadcopter parts HK has some I use those wooden skews like you use on a barbecue in a bind on my mini quads. The Syma x1 quad is same size but a lot faster I use blade SR 120 600 mah batteries they work on my v929's and X1's.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Found an old Helimax frame,gear and shaft if anyone is interested cheep. Pop on your parts and who knows link http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELI-MAX-AXE...item43ab00c5ac

Ray
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:09 PM
Spain, Valencian Community, Burriana
Joined Mar 2012
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Funny, I was thinking the same thing... I'm from Langenhagen, Germany too, but was taught better manners.
It was the simple joy of finding a compatriot, nothing to do with their exquisite manners...
Geso is offline Find More Posts by Geso
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:10 PM
Spain, Valencian Community, Burriana
Joined Mar 2012
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
... and guys, could you please use the PM route if you want to exchange your ideas in Spanish? God knows the thread is long enough, and if I start writing to e2, mystman and various others in German - and who knows how many of the Canadian dudes on here can write French - then it'll take us a week just to find a reply we can all understand

No offence intended, but the official Forum language is English
excuse me has every reason in the world...
Geso is offline Find More Posts by Geso
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:54 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc4 View Post
They say it does and will run servos as well as ESC's I also have KK2 boards but I have yet to see anything on YouTube showing how to set up a heli. I had to throw settings out the window and figure the thing out myself on my quad. Currently I am working on using a 3 axis Gyro that was a Orange HK special It looks promising If you want pic's I will post them. It has manual trim pots and rev sw's so there is no programming. On the CF Ebay has quite bit if you look up Quadcopter parts HK has some I use those wooden skews like you use on a barbecue in a bind on my mini quads. The Syma x1 quad is same size but a lot faster I use blade SR 120 600 mah batteries they work on my v929's and X1's.
Now that you mention it I remember reading something about twitchy servos on the KK2 board. It sounds like some people use servos for tricopters to control the yaw? hmm.. I just found this:
Stock KK2 Board (ver. 1.2) with Trex 450 (2 min 25 sec)
- no flight yet though.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member