Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:39 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladicopter View Post
Price on the mjx f45 went up by 10 dollaz again at banggood
You can still buy one, like I did 2 days ago, for 83$, small packaging, on Aliexpress. It will be my third one. Too bad that MJX doesn't offer BNF.
fauconnier is online now Find More Posts by fauconnier
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:43 AM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Here is a picture of Blade SR ESC it has plenty of nuts on blade SR with good tail authority. I don't know if it would work on MJX
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:27 AM
Spain, Valencian Community, Burriana
Joined Mar 2012
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geso View Post
Hi, has anyone tried this kit? can be used with series battery? It seems very interesting...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...678878308.html
anyone use this kit???...: Confused:: Confused:: Popcorn:
Geso is offline Find More Posts by Geso
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:32 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geso View Post
anyone use this kit???...: Confused:: Confused:: Popcorn:
I was thinking of trying it. I wish they had a tail motor with the kit too. ...
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:07 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Camera trigger.

OldOz
Since you are an electronics expert, I may need some advice on setting up a camera switch from the RX. I have several electronic signal converters, one with a MOSFET and one with out. I just need to get a 3volt output to start and stop the camera. I will post picture with my test outputs as soon as I finish getting all the servo plug pins install on the boards.
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/752
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1210
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Last edited by BThirsk; Dec 27, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:50 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Well, finally have a working (mockup) BL tail: or servo tail.
I have to say is all credit to TumppiT: how on earth he found the problem - and solved it! without my electronics workshop resources is beyond me.
The basic problem is that the stock drive to the tail motor is a PWM signal, with a (very approx) 2kHz frequency.
The Xtreme converts this to a servo/esc compatible signal, again a more precise PWM, but at a strictly controlled PRF. However, this conversion relies on a 'heartbeat' signal from the original drive frequency (however short) to function.
With the standard FET, at much over half right rudder, this signal vanishes entirely: so the converter goes back to zero output. With an alternative (or higher power) FET this signal is preserved, so the converter maintains full right Yaw.
This is NOT a function of any power requirement, just a peculiarity of the drive signal/FET combination.
The pics below show the story. That showing the very short tail drive pulse is taken at full right rudder: and is totally absent when the original FET (actually MOSFET) is used.
Again, my thanks to TumppiT for leading the way!
OK. What does this mean to a solder globber like myself? Replace a piece on the board?
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
F45 Frankincopter

First, reversing the direction of the main rotor to accommodate the Funcopter blade setup will not work because of the clutch in the main gear. It will only drive clockwise.

Second, I moved the aileron servo to the left side, and the elevation servo to the front. This keeps from having to reverse any servo wiring.

Here are the things I have coming for the change. The motor is a 3800KV that I will run with a 13T pinion.
Last edited by arrowshooter; Dec 27, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Hi Yall,
I guesse im the new guy in da house lol.
Got a F45 last week, and have been using the mods yall post in here.
No bl motor yet cause I have to learn to fly first, not new to rc but never tried a heli before,
Bet Ill have a blast learnin ( ie crashin.)
I bought it cause for the money ya cant beat it.
I took it all apart so I can learn how these birds work.
Maiden flight will probably be tomarrow. Hmm maybe a vid? I dont have to post if I make a fool outa myself.
Lenthend servo arms,
tightend blades,took out the axial movment in the main shaft.
Hope I can fly it.
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Man View Post
Hi Yall,
I guesse im the new guy in da house lol.
Got a F45 last week, and have been using the mods yall post in here.
No bl motor yet cause I have to learn to fly first, not new to rc but never tried a heli before,
Bet Ill have a blast learnin ( ie crashin.)
I bought it cause for the money ya cant beat it.
I took it all apart so I can learn how these birds work.
Maiden flight will probably be tomarrow. Hmm maybe a vid? I dont have to post if I make a fool outa myself.
Lenthend servo arms,
tightend blades,took out the axial movment in the main shaft.
Hope I can fly it.
Welcome aboard R.C. Man. You're going to have a blast with the F45!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
edy5150
Spain, CT, Sitges
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Welcome R.C Man
have a good flight!!!
edy5150 is offline Find More Posts by edy5150
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Welcome RC Man
Put the heli a reasonable distance away from you. They have a tendency to come back at you and you have more time to recover. You would be amazed at how many people panic when the heli starts to get away from them and drop the Throttle. The MJX is a heavy bird and will drop like a rock. It will take a lot of abuse but it does have it's limits. The wind can be your worst enemy in less than a minute it can carry the bird several hundred yards away. They look harmless but I almost lost a finger on a 450 making a stupid move. So use caution.

Happy Flying
Ray
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Arrowshooter -

Great minds, mate - was just working on an antenna tube solution when I read your post. It was a nightmare job drilling out that stainless without a lathe, and I didn't get it quite right at the end of the job.
Also had some hard plastic tube, an almost perfect fit to try too.
In case it helps, have attached a couple of pics to show how I rigged the servos: though I'm sure you'll come up with something better. Mine requires the Ail servo to be reversed in the Tx: a five minute job, but there's got to be another solution out there.
You'll not regret the switch imo. After taking that photo on p326, increased the AUW to just under 900g, and still had liftoff. All with a 2s 2200 Turnigy!

In any event, good luck with your mod, and - Merry Xmas to all .
I know I'm new here, but an old tinkerer,

Ya wanna switch the servo direction ?
I do it in the servo itself,

Remove the cover, (in a micro servo)
Switch the wires to the motor, ( desolder + and - and switch em)

Find the poti, and switch the 2 outer wires on the poti.

Put it back together and Walla, it runs backwards when ya go backwards with the stick.

I did it on mine cause the horns from the F45 has a wierd size.

micro horn didnt go on the servo stub on the F45 servo, (I have 20 micro servos just layin around) but went the wrong way for my new Bird, so servo reverse was on order.

Thats just the way I do it, so I can use the rx for somethin else.

Oh B.T.W.
Flew her (and first time for me with a heli today) in my garage.

Was ok till I went 26 ft up and it turned........OPPS
cut throttle, and down it came... bamm Hit the floor, I thought
Broke it bad in 5 min.

But, HEY only broke 1 rung from the landing gear

Still flys good and not a total waist. Indestructable construction for the bucks

I am impressed that the bird will just shake off and say SOO, I Fell Down.

Will make a vid next time (promise)
Will do some hovering as a newbee heli flyer. Cars are more my thing R.C. wise that is.
But buzzin with a heli is just too COOL to stop cause ya crash.

Frank
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I was thinking of trying it. I wish they had a tail motor with the kit too. ...
I saw one guy on youtube having installed that one...
Vladicopter is offline Find More Posts by Vladicopter
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edy5150 View Post
Welcome R.C Man
have a good flight!!!
Or a good Fight LOL

Thanks Yall
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
BThirsk -
Seems like a very useful piece of kit (if you have a spare R/C channel). Also pretty straightforward, but if I can help in any way, of course I will.
I'd say Hinnerk is the 'electronics expert' I certainly WAS one, once, back in the day: now just an old guy that remembers a few things (but a good hand with a soldering iron still!). Which brings me to:

Arrowshooter -
Realise my earlier post about the BL tail conversion was a bit involved, and too stuffed with technical acronyms. Bottom line (AFAIK) for you, and those interested generally is probably better put as -
1. The Xtreme brushed to BL cannot be used on a stock F45 RX tail output (this applies to the 'old' series of PCBs: haven't had a new one to test yet).
2. The simplest modification to make it work is (probably) to replace the tail motor driver FET with a larger unit. I have used the (now surplus) main motor driver FET successfully: and will test others later.
3. This mod should NOT be attempted by anyone without good soldering skills - there is a definite possibility that the Rx PCB could be damaged.
4. My mockup seems to be working OK, but the real test is in the air. However, TumppiT thought of this fix, and reported that it worked well. Finally,
5. I can't think of any (at least easier) other way to doing a BL tail conversion, using the standard F45 Rx PCB.

You surely have assembled a great collection of parts though - I'm really interested in seeing how they all come together .
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member