HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Oct 2012
780 Posts
Am I losing it????

Well two days and second successive crash!!!

This time doing a nose in FFF, failed to pull up in time and hit the ground at full power, pitched down at 30 degrees.

One main rotor blade snapped off (I have 4 helis, never broke a blade before) flybar slightly bent, landing gear broke at one point, skid badly bent and eventually broke when I tried to straighten it.

My hoops held up, so I guess the paper-clip mod I did works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3683

Good thing, I've fixed it up, and its ready to fly. Only new part used was a rotor blade (the spare one that came with the F45).

I'm on a crash hat-trick chance.....

Its not a hat-trick I really want to achieve

Merry Christmas!
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:23 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,370 Posts
Oh man! That is most unfortunate. I hope you got it on video! That last video was spectacular. I'm glad you were able to easily fix it up.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Rpc4
Glad you explained about that antirotation bracket. Spent about an hour thinking about how the rotor head could possibly work this way!
I followed pretty slavishly the MJX geometry. As a result, I guess, the 450 mod behaves exactly like a (much more powerful) F45. On the other hand, it looks pretty similar to my 450CPs - which nearly caused me to lose it yesterday. Old people do get confused at times
Your FBL mod will be very interesting to follow. Could be the ultimate trainer, as you suggest - and agree with the next step after being a tail fix. I've not given up on the servo/belt tail by any means: but also have ordered the 1811 motor (and ESC) in case I fail.
Good luck with the mod
John
Don't worry about being old OldOz i'm in that +60 group myself and more I screw up the more I learn. I'm one of those guys that can't fly a dam thing on the simulator but Give me a decent transmitter an an I usually can give it a good go. Hope Everyone has a good Christmas and hope all of us are around next year. I designed and built Machinery most of my life. But heli modding has been the most fun for me. Wish I had started earlier in life.

Ray
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Well was off work early today so had a chance to go to the park and fly for a few minutes. Still having trouble with getting nice left banked turns. Right turns are beautiful, just the opposite of when I flew fixed wing. Question for you guys flying stock F45's like I am, are you able to make nice banked left turns? When I got home I checked my aileron rates and found I was only at 90%, now I'm at 100%, maybe that extra little bit will make a difference. Let me know what you think. Tom
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
The F45/450 Conversion

OldOz

I received my 450 clone kit today for my F45/450 conversion.

I figured out the shim issue in mounting the F45 rotor head to the 5mm shaft of the 450. I used a section of antenna mast that is exactly 6mm OD but it is slightly bigger than 5mm ID. Took up the slack with shrink tube and it is solid as a rock. I am going to cut the new sleeve long enough to extend all the way up in the rotor head and also encompass the swashplate so there is no slop there either. Sorry for the blurry pics but you get the idea.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Dec 24, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
P.S. Flyor, I hope your F45 recovered well from it's underwater flight ??
At least you can be proud to be the first one who filmed underwater with a F 45 !
Thanks for your concern, the F45 survived and also the 808 #16 camera, BTW it's amazing that the camera did show so much detail under water, it was rather dark.

Next time when I fly over water I'll check the battery first

Regards
Flyor is offline Find More Posts by Flyor
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Arrowshooter -

Great minds, mate - was just working on an antenna tube solution when I read your post. It was a nightmare job drilling out that stainless without a lathe, and I didn't get it quite right at the end of the job.
Also had some hard plastic tube, an almost perfect fit to try too.
In case it helps, have attached a couple of pics to show how I rigged the servos: though I'm sure you'll come up with something better. Mine requires the Ail servo to be reversed in the Tx: a five minute job, but there's got to be another solution out there.
You'll not regret the switch imo. After taking that photo on p326, increased the AUW to just under 900g, and still had liftoff. All with a 2s 2200 Turnigy!

In any event, good luck with your mod, and - Merry Xmas to all .
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:37 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
And - to compare directly -

PS - yes, those are 500 skids! But I'm flying in longish dry grass and dust. The CPs have floats (those belt tails suck everything in, one bad crash though this): might be a tad of overkill on an FP, though!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Arrowshooter -

Great minds, mate - was just working on an antenna tube solution when I read your post. It was a nightmare job drilling out that stainless without a lathe, and I didn't get it quite right at the end of the job.
Also had some hard plastic tube, an almost perfect fit to try too.
In case it helps, have attached a couple of pics to show how I rigged the servos: though I'm sure you'll come up with something better. Mine requires the Ail servo to be reversed in the Tx: a five minute job, but there's got to be another solution out there.
You'll not regret the switch imo. After taking that photo on p326, increased the AUW to just under 900g, and still had liftoff. All with a 2s 2200 Turnigy!

In any event, good luck with your mod, and - Merry Xmas to all .
On the same page, but let me ask you this. The swashplate off of one of the Honey Bees is both 90 degree and 120 degree along with fitting a 5mm main shaft. It also has the anitrotation pin set on 90 degrees. Read a bit back here that with the pin on a 90 the handling goes to hell. Would you know why?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
In a word, no - and certainly not with some personal Xmas cheer cargo atm .
However, I'll bet Bthirsk does: he seems to be the expert in this aspect of things heli. Personally, stuck with the MJX 45 deg, and not a problem: old, and didn't want to sail in too many uncharted waters straight off!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Arrowshooter -
Could you not just switch the Red and Brown wires on the TX plug?

And Merry Xmas to you and your's.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
In a word, no - and certainly not with some personal Xmas cheer cargo atm .
However, I'll bet Bthirsk does: he seems to be the expert in this aspect of things heli. Personally, stuck with the MJX 45 deg, and not a problem: old, and didn't want to sail in too many uncharted waters straight off!
It was Rcp4's comment on page 327 #4902.

This is the swash:
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Could you not just switch the Red and Brown wires on the TX plug?

And Merry Xmas to you and your's.
Do you mean the Rx (servo) plug? - if so, no, would wreck the servo.
Just open the Tx, find which pot is controlling your Ail (depends on Mode), and swap - resolder - the two outside wires. Job done. With a little more effort, you could wire in a dpdt switch to allow the Tx to be used normally when needed.

Can post a pic if you do go that way?

Edit - that surely is a different swash. Only ever been with MJX/Blade/Align myself, but heard some good things about the HBFP.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Dec 24, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean the Rx (servo) plug? - if so, no, would wreck the servo.
Just open the Tx, find which pot is controlling your Ail (depends on Mode), and swap - resolder - the two outside wires. Job done.

Can post a pic if you do go that way?

Edit - that surely is a different swash. Only ever been with MJX/Blade/Align myself, but heard some good things about the HBFP.
Roger that on the Tx wires. If I have to go that route, I will ask for pic.

Thinks of trying a 3600kv motor with the 13T pinion.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Servo Reverser

Another servo reversing trick.