SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Whoa! 36F! We have fights in this household over whose walking down to the mailbox when it gets into the 30's here! I've also resigned myself to V911 duty for the next couple days. Way to go on your F45 tracker! Tip: if you have any cousins, don't let them near your 45! LOL!
Eric.Jr.Sax is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jr.Sax
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Arrowshooter -
Really pleased you've decided to join the 450 mod club!
I chose the F45 rotor assembly, because in my 600+ flights have subjected it to just about every form of crash/abuse possible, and it's always come through with flying colors. However, that doesn't mean your alternative approach won't be just as good: and eliminating the shaft sleeve will certainly make the job a lot easier.
A few links -
Motor - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_5250kv.html
Pinion - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15259
(this is just about as bad as it looks in the picture, but does do the job if you grind a flat about 1/3 through the motor shaft)
Antirotation bracket - http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/goods.php?id=999
(this is the only easy fix I've found so far: has a broad base, and I just cut a slot for the main shaft and epoxy glued it to the upper bearing support mount)
Some other points -
- The HK main gear has a bit of a bad rep, but mine was OK. However, align 450 gears work perfectly, and are about $7 for 3.
- The canopy is an Align 450 plus. Works better than the HK stock imo.
- The batt connectors MUST be changed - I use Deans, but the yellow ones standard on the Turnigy 2200 would also be fine.
- The 18A plush ESC runs warm, but hasn't failed under the higher load of the new motor..
Thanks for this. My plan is to transfer the 5400kv Inrunner and SC from one of my F45's. That motor is a handful at full throttle so the extra weight of the 450 should be perfect.

This is the kit I bought, so after it arrives I can finalize a parts list.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Arrowshooter -
Sounds like a plan! (though I can't identify the maker of the kit from your pic).
New heli flies so well, I'm building another. Had a fair few inquiries about it, too (which I've referred to this thread)
I've gone with - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
for the kit, as the rotor head is a immediately usable on my (flybar) CPs
For flybarless, could also go - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Aus warehouse, but same kits are available worldwide.
Used noname servos from the junkbox, but might try HXT900s for the next build: and will certainly get the shaft adapter drilled in a machine shop. Have an electronics workshop, but no lathe!
Another great early flight (5am), don't think you'll be disappointed either.

Eric.Jr.Sax -
My son and I were flyiing in 36 degrees a few days ago - however, Centigrade, not F. But just about as uncomfortable, plus overheat probs for the helis .

Cheers!
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
OldOz,

This is all I know about the make:

T-Rex New 450 Series TREX Clone Helicopter Kit Black also likeTarot HobbyKing EXI ECT

Not as complete as the HK but it was only $45 USD. Should suit what we are doing just fine I suppose since I don't know diddly about these 450 birds.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Arrowshooter,

And now I know far more than I ever wanted to know (mechanically) about the 450s! - Could just about rebuild a head blindfolded (!).
Your choice should be fine for the rebuild.

But here's a (pretty rotten) still from this mornings flight - with apologies to Rexless, but I'm still stuck with the stock cam. The vague blob lower left is me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
And another rather crummy picture - while I wait for my son (with his $1K camera) -

only a backyard flight, but if you look under the heli, you'll see one standard battery strapped under each skid: a total lift of 170g. Could easily do more, too.

Edit: the total lift was actually 820g: the 'cargo' 170g
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Dec 22, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Merry Xmas to all!

Yes, Eminem, have been lurking here for the last month, which I thought I'd devote to 'mastery' (Ha!) of 450 CP. Along the way, bought 2 HK 450 kits as cheap spares for the project.
BTW, yes, you can go straight from F45 to 450: but it's not a walk in the park. Can nose in hover on the F45 no probs? think again when you shift to CP .
As a byproduct, found I had a complete unused 450 frame: and naturally thought whatif? - loved the F45, but often wondered why no-one (other than Funcopter) had a 450 size FP on the market.
So, I built the (first?) MJX 450 below.
Using the ADH300XL HK motor, has no problem lifting the AUW of just under 600g. Oddly enough, the tail rotor has no trouble keeping up either. Although my experimental servo/belt drive conversion did actually fly, the electronics needs a lot more work. A bit of a disappointment, as I had high hopes there.
However, the modded heli with standard tail flies really well. Much more wind authority than stock (imo), and plenty of room (and lift capability) for alternative battery/ESC/motor combinations.
The main difficulty was making the 5mm to 6mm sleeve for the 450 main shaft, and fitting an antirotation bracket (used a Align 450 pro v2). Otherwise, one servo has to be reversed in the TX an that's about it.
With thanks to MJX, HK, and Align - and the encouragement from all here, who kept me motivated!
I did it several month ago but used a Heli Max Axe because it had a 6mm shaft and the head fits right on with no drilling, Flies great carries a 2650 bat no problem. I like the Gyro better than MJX board with tx9, My hat goes of to you it looks like a clean build OldOz mine was more of a 400 size

Ray
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Ray -
Great conversion! - am particularly impressed with the cunning 'antirotation bracket' you designed (frankly, never occurred to me it could be positioned where you have it).
I stuck with the MJX TX/RX electronics as a) I had them (!) and b) I knew they worked well - within their well documented limitations.
And yes, that 6mm shaft would save the most difficult part of the conversion. But I'll get a few made up as soon as Xmas shutdown ends.
Again, great job, and am also going for the 2650 (or 3000) battery after I fix some sort of tail conversion - atm, not much point as a 15min hover would overheat the tail muchly in our Qld summer sun .

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Duckky23 -
Here is a link which should explain all you need to know about LiPo Batteries -
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Almost all the better alternative batteries for the stock F45 will require modification to the tray or holder on the frame. Frankly, I'd question the need unless you intend to go brushless in the near future: the standard main motor (imo) shouldn't be run more than 6-7 mins without a cooldown period anyway.
However, will edit this in a min or so to give a link to the 'best' alternative (well, the one most of us seem to be using).
Hope this helps!

Link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23820
Thanks Oldoz. Anyway brushless motor and brush motor what is the difference?
duckky23 is offline Find More Posts by duckky23
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:02 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
duckky23 -
About 1000+ flights.
The Brushed motor that came with your heli WILL die, usually between 40 and 100 flights. The brushes simply wear out, or alternatively the brush holders fail catastrophically under extreme overheat/use conditions.
The Brushless has is driven by a 3 phase supply, instead of brushes, so has no real MTBF. Though eventually the bearings may fail. However, I have a mate who has 2k+ flights on his BL foamie - so you can see the difference. If you're going to stay with the F45 long term, BL is the only way to go.
The job is easy, and well documented here - the bits cost round $30 to $40 (+freight).
Hope this helps!

Edit: the best BL by far for the job is - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11881. Still in stock (i just checked), but they are usually on backorder - so would be a pretty cheap insurance policy to buy one if you think you will go down this road.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Link
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
duckky23 -
About 1000+ flights.
The Brushed motor that came with your heli WILL die, usually between 40 and 100 flights. The brushes simply wear out, or alternatively the brush holders fail catastrophically under extreme overheat/use conditions.
The Brushless has no real MTBF: though eventually the bearings may fail. However, I have a mate who has 2k+ flights on his BL foamie - so you can see the difference. If you're going to stay with the F45 long term, BL is the only way to go.
The job is easy, and well documented here - the bits cost round $30 to $40 (+freight).
Hope this helps!
Ok so which BL motor should I buy and what I should buy to convert my f45 to BL? And do you know what is the size of the original f45 battery and weight? As I want to look for something that is not too big and heavy.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:38 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Duckky23 -
See my edit above. I anticipated that question!
You will also need a turnigy plush 18A ESC (also from HK) and a pinion (HK or Blade 1609 at LHS).
The stock battery is about 90g, and roughly 70 x 38 x 19mm. I posted the most commonly used replacement a page or so ago.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Duckky23 -
See my edit above. I anticipated that question!
You will also need a turnigy plush 18A ESC (also from HK) and a pinion (HK or Blade 1609 at LHS).
The stock battery is about 90g, and roughly 70 x 38 x 19mm. I posted the most commonly used replacement a page or so ago.
Ok. Thank you so much. So after changing this I can fly it for a long time? And the battery I have to buy will still be the same right 2s 7.4v 2200mah 25c or 30c. Or must I use a 3s battery as I see the comments that it is for 3s battery.
Last edited by duckky23; Dec 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Oldoz

So I get the motor and the 18a plush which is this right?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

And for the pinion which one should I get there is so many sizes.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:54 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Duckky23
The battery I posted - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23820 is 2000mAh.
Afraid even then you'll have a (lesser) problem - the tail rotor. It will wear out after 40 to 80 flights (depending on the type of flying you do) as well. For example, hovering at indoor or summer temp will overheat the tail motor long before the 2000mAh battery reaches 80% discharge.
I'd truly suggest that - apart (perhaps) from buying the EH200 - you buy and fly the F45 stock for a while first, and then decide if it's the heli for you: and then consider the mods needed in the light of your own experience.
It would also pay to at least skim through this thread, as all your questions have been answered here previously.

PS - Yes, that is the ESC most commonly used. The pinion is exactly as 3 posts back - Blade BLH1609, at your LHS (or any mail order)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Dec 23, 2012 at 01:01 AM.