HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined May 2007
233 Posts
I know this has probaly been talked about somewhere in this thred and I read thru parts of it but did not find the answer to my question. Do you have to change the speed controler on this heli to use LIPO Batteries. thanks in advance for any advice you can give. (singed to lazy to read whole thred)
wileyrc is offline Find More Posts by wileyrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:46 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc View Post
I know this has probaly been talked about somewhere in this thred and I read thru parts of it but did not find the answer to my question. Do you have to change the speed controler on this heli to use LIPO Batteries. thanks in advance for any advice you can give. (singed to lazy to read whole thred)
No.
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:50 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Well I got her tissues today and ordered 2 new servo's so we are right for both but thanks for the offer BThirsk.

1 Box Tissues $1.69
2 450 Servo's $15.50

Nice Video Rexless, and good thinking about the zip lock bag.
Whats the temp out there?

Wow a Walmart gift card, good one OldSpool I use nylon washers from Bunnings Hardware they are very cheap and they come in all the sizes for my heli's.
Well you can always try putting the tissue Box instead of the servo and see if they work Gave me a good laugh this morning Whiz when I read what had actually happened to your wife's tissues!!
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:46 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
Well you can always try putting the tissue Box instead of the servo and see if they work Gave me a good laugh this morning Whiz when I read what had actually happened to your wife's tissues!!
Yep It was a bit hard to get out of this one as tissues were everywhere the wife is still finding them around the house and every time she dose I get a nasty look and a shake of her head..
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Still learning to fly. No previous flying rc experience, no sim. Just rc cars and trucks. Training landing gear is a DIY. Having fun with this mjxf45.

Rbsix is offline Find More Posts by Rbsix
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
Still learning to fly
Germany, SH, Lubeck
Joined Aug 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustwantCookies View Post
How did you make the new loops? what for matrial?
Hello,
The ring around the shaft of the rotorhead is made of some copper tube and is 1cm long this coppertube is used as heatingpipe or waterpipe here in Germany, the diameter is 12*1 mm. The loops are made out of a brassplate wich is about 1,5 mm thick.
Hinnerk is offline Find More Posts by Hinnerk
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Yep It was a bit hard to get out of this one as tissues were everywhere the wife is still finding them around the house and every time she dose I get a nasty look and a shake of her head..
That would be a great video for sure. I get the same looks when my wife asks why I'm repairing her wind chimes. Seems my chopper blades have a great attraction to the paddle-on-a-string that rings the chimes. Of course if the choppers were not attracted to trees, they wouldn't find the chimes!
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbsix View Post
Still learning to fly. No previous flying rc experience, no sim. Just rc cars and trucks. Training landing gear is a DIY. Having fun with this mjxf45.

Yep, these choppers are a bunch of fun, even if they do seem to want to roost in trees from time to time. Keep on flyin'!
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbsix View Post

Nice picture! The F45 is a smooth flying bird. I don't think you'll need training gear for long. Enjoy.

After quite a few successful orders I got bit by Aliexpress finally. Fortunately it was just a main shaft. Seems the vendor has disappeared and Ali has been completely ignoring the dispute and follow-up messages I've sent them for over 3 weeks now.

It's one thing when you place a risky order from a new vendor and get fake tracking details and have them disappear. It was a small order so whatever, but to be completely ignored when Aliexpress goes on about how much protection they offer - that speaks volumes. The bottom line seems to be, if you order from Aliexpress and something goes wrong, too bad. The protection is just false advertising.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper View Post
That would be a great video for sure. I get the same looks when my wife asks why I'm repairing her wind chimes. Seems my chopper blades have a great attraction to the paddle-on-a-string that rings the chimes. Of course if the choppers were not attracted to trees, they wouldn't find the chimes!
I just wish you could repair plants too! The Wife has been away for a couple of weeks and I'm expecting some serious grief when she gets back tomorrow and sees what's left of the greenery on the window sills I blame the German weather...

BAD DOG, TIGG!!!!!
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Nice picture! The F45 is a smooth flying bird. I don't think you'll need training gear for long. Enjoy.

After quite a few successful orders I got bit by Aliexpress finally. Fortunately it was just a main shaft. Seems the vendor has disappeared and Ali has been completely ignoring the dispute and follow-up messages I've sent them for over 3 weeks now.

It's one thing when you place a risky order from a new vendor and get fake tracking details and have them disappear. It was a small order so whatever, but to be completely ignored when Aliexpress goes on about how much protection they offer - that speaks volumes. The bottom line seems to be, if you order from Aliexpress and something goes wrong, too bad. The protection is just false advertising.
I agree. I think Ebay is an even safer method than Aliexpres. I still prefer merchants like Hobby king and a host of others I have delt with that have a real presence in the world, not just a computer to take orders.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Thanks. I flew the F45 today. Getting it high and far. I'm loving this side of RC.
Rbsix is offline Find More Posts by Rbsix
Last edited by Rbsix; Dec 11, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: edit
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Cooling the tail motor

Hi guys

Cooling the tail motor seems to work, I burned the first motor in about 30 flights, when I mounted the second motor I removed most of the plastic housing and made a heat sink out from i piece of an ancient motherboard.
Note that I drilled a hole in the heat sink to match the hole in the motor on one side and also kept the wires from covering the hole on the other side.

I was careful with the first motor, I mostly let the motor cool down after 5 minutes or so, but with this second motor (I have some more in stock now) I fly until the battery is empty, that's about 10 minutes.

I don't know exactly how many flights I've got out of this motor, but a lot more than 30 that's for sure.

Sure some motors last longer than others, but for now, (as others already stated) cooling seems to prolong the lifetime of the brushed motors.

Regards
Flyor is offline Find More Posts by Flyor
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:02 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyor View Post
Hi guys

Cooling the tail motor seems to work, I burned the first motor in about 30 flights, when I mounted the second motor I removed most of the plastic housing and made a heat sink out from i piece of an ancient motherboard.
Note that I drilled a hole in the heat sink to match the hole in the motor on one side and also kept the wires from covering the hole on the other side.

I was careful with the first motor, I mostly let the motor cool down after 5 minutes or so, but with this second motor (I have some more in stock now) I fly until the battery is empty, that's about 10 minutes.

I don't know exactly how many flights I've got out of this motor, but a lot more than 30 that's for sure.

Sure some motors last longer than others, but for now, (as others already stated) cooling seems to prolong the lifetime of the brushed motors.

Regards
Nice Job with the mod.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
Need some help on recent BL conversion....

Well, I've just installed my BL motor (4900 kV outrunner), with a 9T pinion, and Turnigy Plush 25 Amps ESC. I also have the Turnigy programming card.

To test, I set the throttle to 30% in the transmitter. When I move the throttle, the tail rotor starts first, then at about 20%, the main rotor starts up.

1. Why does the main rotor start at 20% (I have selected soft start, is this because of that?)

2. How do you set throttle end points? (The method outlined in the Turnigy ESC manual does not work, please give step by step instructions?)

3. What value should I select for the throttle in the transmitter, and why?

4. I attached the pinion after filing the edge of the shaft, by tightening the grub screw. Should I have used thread lock or something else on the shaft or grub screw?

If you need any further information to answer me, please let me know.
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar