Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumilove View Post
Thx for the answers..

A quick one for the imax b6 owners..

Is it possible to charge the stock battery using the balancing plug only ?
Or it is necessary to use the discharge plug also.

I just bought a balancing board thinking that i can just charge multiple batteries using the balancing plug, but then i got unsure if the charger is actually charging from the balancing port or it is only balancing!!!
Yes you use the ballance plug and the 2 pin red and black to use the charger.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:14 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Wendouree
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
It is a Li-Lion battery.

It is very simple to work it out, Li-Lion batteries are incased in metal so they are hard round single cells the same as AA batteries sraped together.

Li-Po batteries are soft cells and they are flat rectangle cells placed ontop of each other.
Just to confuse everyone, I partially de-constructed my stock Li-Ion, and the cells are encased in Cardboard!
I didn't strip it any further to see if they had a metal case as I didn't want to risk puncturing the cells, but it definitely looked like it would be a metal cell as Whizgig stated.

Nothing like a Lipo, especially considering it weighs more per mAh than a true LiPo.
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
That's just messed up..
So my parallel charging board is the wrong one.. i bought an extra lipo battery thinking i could parallel charge and now i'm told that the one i have is Li-lion... not a good beginning.. not at all!!

But i will NOT give up.. this heli is just to fun, but lately i had so much work that the heli is just sitting there looking at me with sad eyes...

BTW, thanks for all the replies.. really helpful
mumilove is offline Find More Posts by mumilove
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
Again... one question regarding charging batteries..

I have read in multiple places that you charge a battery with max 1c...
If so, then every battery charge should take around 1 hour!

Why is my v911, xieda and the like of micro helis charge their batteries within 25 mins ?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:29 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool View Post
I really like the paint scheme on the canopy. Looks to be well built, the side plates cover the main gear. I just got to have one. Went on Banggood.com and pre-ordered one. what ever that means ? I guess they will e-mail me when it is in stock. Oh! i did get a e-mail saying to check back with them next month.
BTW; how do you tell the size of a helicopter? The 9116 is 15" long, and the MJX 45 is 21" long. Are they between 200 & 400 size? If the V912 is just a little larger than the 9116, it can't be a 400. Are maybe i just don't know what i'm talking about.
My trick to compare the size of toys helicopters is by comparing the battery mah. At 850 mah it is probably between a 9116 and CB180. Why don't you wait for the MJX F46 of the same size ? From what I see the V912 is another 9116 clone, heavy metal frame, old technology. The F46 has a more modern construction, light plastic frame, like the new Walkera. With the reputation of MJX F45 for quality, crash resistance, wind flying ability, speed, I will probably try one F46. Love to fly the 200 size.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
Again... one question regarding charging batteries..

I have read in multiple places that you charge a battery with max 1c...
If so, then every battery charge should take around 1 hour!

Why is my v911, xieda and the like of micro helis charge their batteries within 25 mins ?
Because they charge higher than 1C? These days lipo batteries are becoming better quality, and more companies are making batteries capable of higher charge rates. It is quite common now to get 5C charge rate batteries. I've even seen a couple claim 10C charging!

1C is more of a safety guideline, which is still good to stick to.

With single cells especially, fast charging isn't as bad as there is no need to balance. Multi cell batteries balance better when charged slowly, as most balancers can only draw small currents to do the balancing.

If it makes you feel better, I charge my 160mAh batteries for my SoloPro at up to 3-4C when I'm flying, so I can have a constant flow of batteries granted they are Turnigy NanoTech batteries.
Also I charge my F45 batteries at 2C with no trouble. I may cut 5% off the batteries life, but generally that's only about 7 of 150 charges lost
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
Also I charge my F45 batteries at 2C with no trouble. I may cut 5% off the batteries life, but generally that's only about 7 of 150 charges lost
You are reffering to your stock "li-lion" batteries ?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
Too Old To Die:
United States, TX, Call
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
My trick to compare the size of toys helicopters is by comparing the battery mah. At 850 mah it is probably between a 9116 and CB180. Why don't you wait for the MJX F46 of the same size ? From what I see the V912 is another 9116 clone, heavy metal frame, old technology. The F46 has a more modern construction, light plastic frame, like the new Walkera. With the reputation of MJX F45 for quality, crash resistance, wind flying ability, speed, I will probably try one F46. Love to fly the 200 size.
Good advice, I agree with you on that.Other than the canopy, one thing that got my attention is the PCB. It looks identical to the 9116. I have down loaded the MJX catalog, and I'am going to take a closer look at the F46.The F48 flybarless looks fairly impressive also.
OldSpool is offline Find More Posts by OldSpool
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:56 PM
Sloooooow Flyer
Australia, NSW, Glenfield
Joined Aug 2012
257 Posts
Horizontal tail fin - removed

Hello fellas,

I'm new flyer for F45. Previously I been and still flying V911.

I need your advice. I'm trying to set f45 to have more forward motion. I already set the servo horn to max radius. But its still not enough due to very windy area on my place

Now im thinking to remove the horizontal fin. Cause im thinking the horizontal fin has stabilized the heli as the strong wind blown in it. Whats your advice? Or maybe the precaution if im removing it? Thx
S4ntai is offline Find More Posts by S4ntai
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
FWIW, I've always removed the horizontal fin (and the two support struts) from my F45s. Found no difference in handling whatsoever, except that shifting the CoG forward does help with wind authority. And the winds are a fair bit of a problem up here in Qld near the sea, too.
Similarly have also found about 20g of BluTack - or hot glue - right in the canopy nose helps as well. As does upgrading to BL, with a bigger battery set forward of course.
My two cents!
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4ntai View Post
Hello fellas,

I'm new flyer for F45. Previously I been and still flying V911.

I need your advice. I'm trying to set f45 to have more forward motion. I already set the servo horn to max radius. But its still not enough due to very windy area on my place

Now im thinking to remove the horizontal fin. Cause im thinking the horizontal fin has stabilized the heli as the strong wind blown in it. Whats your advice? Or maybe the precaution if im removing it? Thx
Some fly with them and some fly without. I have taken the fin and bars off all four of mine and it helps some, I think more due to weight than wind resistance.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:36 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Booping Nose/Tail

When I fly my new F45 at a very high altitude, approx 200 ft, the nose/tail seem to boopup and down,ie, tail and nose wavering up and down.
It's okay when only flying heights under 100 feet.

I have no such problem with my older one.

Anyone experience this and any remedies ???

Valerio
166Valerio is offline Find More Posts by 166Valerio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:58 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Valerio -
Got to say, I envy you your ability to even SEE what your heli is doing 200ft up!
To some extent, I've found this to be a pretty common problem with the f45. On all mine, and even on Rexless' excellent video earlier in this thread, you can see some 'booping'. what the cure is, just don't know: certainly doesn't happen on my CP helis.
Perhaps something to do with the 45deg flybar?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
You are reffering to your stock "li-lion" batteries ?
Yes, I charge the stock Li-Ion as well as my aftermarket 1800mAh batteries at 2C rates. However I only did this after cycling the battery 10-15 times. The first few charges should never exceed 1C as the batteries need to settle a little first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 166Valerio View Post
When I fly my new F45 at a very high altitude, approx 200 ft, the nose/tail seem to boopup and down,ie, tail and nose wavering up and down.
It's okay when only flying heights under 100 feet.

I have no such problem with my older one.

Anyone experience this and any remedies ???

Valerio
Check to see if the servo arms have any play. With the heli on and bound to the TX, check if you can wiggle the servo arms with your fingers (watch you don't bump the throttle! )

If they have some movement this would explain the bobbing. Also check the blades and flybar are balanced.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:22 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
541 Posts
Slothy -
Think blade and flybar unbalance would cause vibration, rather than the bobbing. Also (as the bobbing is only in the fore/aft axis of the heli), would seem to exonerate all but the elevator servo.
You don't experience this? Had it - to some extent - on all 4 of mine. Only clue I have, is that it's notably worse in the F45s carrying extra weight (cameras, nose ballast etc.).
The bobbing can be a real PITA trying to take good videos!
Cheers
John.

Edit - just remembered, it was a feature of the F39 coax too: also had a 45 flybar. And - to a much lesser extent - the 120SR.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:29 PM.