SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname2x View Post
how to level it ? i 've regulated the swashplate like in the manual , but won't help . It still unbalance when rotate
Set all the trims on the Tx back to zero and start from scratch, also make sure that the servo arms are level. Leave everything on and look at the swash plate from the side and adjust the elev link (rear) until the swash is level with the ground. Now look from the back and adjust the ail link (side) until level that way. Check from the side again then test it.

If it wants to drift forward/backward a lot, stop and adjust the rear link. If the movement is forward then screw the link in. If it is backward, unscrew the link. Try to stick with complete turns since the hole is bigger on one side than the other for the ball to fit in.

If it wants to go to either side a lot the adjust the side link accordingly. If movement is left, screw the link in. If right unscrew the link.

From here you will be able to adjust out small movements in any direction with the trims.

Now you should be set.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Noname2x -
I hope arrowshooters idea sorts the problem.
But to me - looking closely at both your original pic (p255) and my good heli, it looks almost as if the dogbone (buckle) is too short. It's pulling the locator pin way too high in the slot: this just shouldn't be happening.
However, here's hoping again the logical fix works. (dogbone should be c. 3.35cm overall).

PS - on exactly the same angle as your pic, I can see a significant length of mainshaft above the swash - there's none visible in yours at all. There's something fundamentally wrong perhaps.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Oct 20, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
I had an idea, but it was not a good one.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Last edited by BThirsk; Oct 20, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Just about any idea would be helpful! - I even wondered briefly if Noname had reversed the mainshaft on reassembly
However, this is (as near as I can get it) my own main F45 in the approximate position that his is in - in the picture on p. 255.
As is obvious, the configuration is very different. But how? - looks as if his upper mainshaft is about 0.5 cm too short.
Maybe it's obvious, and I've had too many late nights!
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:22 PM
Hangin' for a strong SW
slothy89's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Mine also looks much the same as your's OZ.

I measure the lengths of the Servo-to-Swash links and I got the following:
Elev: approx 32mm
Aile: approx 35mm

Both were measured from the centre of the servo horn hole, to the centre of the swash ball link hole.

For me this gives near perfect hands off hover.

I do have a bigger 1800mAh battery in the front (20g heavier), and have removed the rear horizontal stabilizer and the decorative bars, so my CG may be a little forward of stock, but I remember only adjusting the Elevator linkage one or 2 turns after these changes. So it is pretty close.
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:33 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
It's a mystery to me, Slothy.
As I understand it, noname's heli was ok, but had a bit of vibration. He then dismantled/reassembled the mainshaft assembly, and finished up with an appearance I can't even reproduce: well, not without half a centimetre of shaft sticking out under the main gear.
It's bloody obvious that it can't fly like that - the solution: not so much (!)
But I'm Old and slow
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:52 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Another view, to compare with any still from noname's video on p.257.
Again, its obvious my swash is sitting lower on the shaft than his: and his elevator is set way high just to level his swash. Any thoughts?
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Solarcow -
Your links did seem interesting! - however, reading more carefully, the product does just SEEM to be a pretty standard coax (or 300ish FP) with a similar video cam to those we're using now.
The Hubsan I was keen on - despite offering real FPV in an integrated package - is really too small IMO to be a viable contender as an outside platform in any sort of wind. Plus is outside your budget, and not available in the CPR (maybe security reasons? - I remember a few months back one of our contributors ran into trouble with the police in Hawaii flying (with camera) over a nude beach(!)).
And the F45 might bounce around too much for FPV, despite Rexless's great video posted recently.
Why not revisit the idea of the big F39 Coax? It's cheap, stable, and would be very easy to learn. It could also easily handle your camera (plus a small 12v power source or DC converter) and would give you the involvement in electronics you were looking for.
That failing, think your X400 will be a fine choice. But I'll still bounce our ideas off my LHS r/c guru on Tuesday. If money were not a problem, of course -
http://bergenrc.com/eObserver.php
Only about $10k! Should buy two, so there's a spare handy .
Cheers
John.
PS - from my F39. The little dot at the bottom is me!
It's not a static recording cam (like the available addons for F45), both those links have a built in live fpv stream that is viewed through the small lcd screen in the controller.



As for the F39, can it carry more weight than the F45? I've been looking at video recordings of the F39 and like most co-ax helis it tends to jerk counter-clockwise alot. That could make actual viewing of the FPV tricky.

PS - they really need to have separate terminologies for FPV (live stream flying) vs FPV (recorded from mounted camera to an sd card with a First Person View point). Googling actual FPV videos gets confusing.
solarcow is offline Find More Posts by solarcow
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
slothy89's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarcow View Post
As for the F39, can it carry more weight than the F45? I've been looking at video recordings of the F39 and like most co-ax helis it tends to jerk counter-clockwise alot. That could make actual viewing of the FPV tricky.

PS - they really need to have separate terminologies for FPV (live stream flying) vs FPV (recorded from mounted camera to an sd card with a First Person View point). Googling actual FPV videos gets confusing.
The jerky turning to the left is just the way the pilot controls the heli. Even a $4000 CP heli can look like that. Simply the pilot is being rough on the sticks and flicking to the left to turn the heli. If you were to be smooth and gentle, the turn would be smoother and more controllable

The F39 would have a little better lifting capability as:
1) it is slightly bigger
2) it has 2 sets of rotors instead of one. Thus improving it's lifting ability. Like a Quad has 4 sets, and so on..

Other than that the main difference between the F45 and F39 is that the F39 won't fight wind as well, but will be more stable in the air (less rocking)
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:39 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Solarcow -
You're right, of course. As soon as I saw one of the helis had an SD card (and the tiny size of the FPV monitor) I jumped to the wrong conclusion. My bad, and once again find I'm kind of awestruck at the advances of technology - even though I've been working in electronics for 40+ years. Started in vacuum tubes, finishing with i7 .
I'd say our kids will finish up with fly by wire helis, totally integrated with altimeter and/or GPS, and onboard PCs. Made in Bangladesh for $50.
But to answer your question. The max lift of the F39 is round 100g, the maximum PRACTICAL lift around 50. It certainly does jerk around a bit, but 'on station' sits more stably than the F45 - imo, of course.
However, it's still far from an ideal platform, being limited to <10k winds and prone to blade strike in any sort of aggressive flight. Your X400 would seem to be a far better bet (but much dearer, to initially try the concept out).
I'll try to talk to the guy who really knows his stuff on Tuesday (or Wednesday, latest).
Cheers!
John.

PS And Slothy's right - I learned helis on the F39, the jerkyness was probably mostly noob pilot confusion (!)
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:49 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
slothy89's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
The WL Toys V929 is a good option for beginner FPV, checkout their thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680188

Also MJX make a similar clone of the same frame, the MJX X200
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
The WL Toys V929 is a good option for beginner FPV, checkout their thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680188

Also MJX make a similar clone of the same frame, the MJX X200
Wow didn't know that can carry full fpv gear! I will definitely take quads into consideration, with x400 as my target, but smaller ones would be better. Less dangerous, I think. I have no idea how safe mini quads are (the x400 doesn't look mini to me, it looks like it can slice your ankle or neck), but I saw the quadcopter injuries thread and that scared me a bit. One rotating blade is less scary than 4 haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Solarcow -
You're right, of course. As soon as I saw one of the helis had an SD card (and the tiny size of the FPV monitor) I jumped to the wrong conclusion. My bad, and once again find I'm kind of awestruck at the advances of technology - even though I've been working in electronics for 40+ years. Started in vacuum tubes, finishing with i7 .
I'd say our kids will finish up with fly by wire helis, totally integrated with altimeter and/or GPS, and onboard PCs. Made in Bangladesh for $50.
But to answer your question. The max lift of the F39 is round 100g, the maximum PRACTICAL lift around 50. It certainly does jerk around a bit, but 'on station' sits more stably than the F45 - imo, of course.
However, it's still far from an ideal platform, being limited to <10k winds and prone to blade strike in any sort of aggressive flight. Your X400 would seem to be a far better bet (but much dearer, to initially try the concept out).
I'll try to talk to the guy who really knows his stuff on Tuesday (or Wednesday, latest).
Cheers!
John.

PS And Slothy's right - I learned helis on the F39, the jerkyness was probably mostly noob pilot confusion (!)
I see, F39 is same price as the F45, it seems like the better option for heli fpv.

And heck, I'm awestruck with the simplest technology (because I can't decipher it).
It's embarrassing to say, but I graduated recently with a BS in Computer Engineering and I barely know anything about electronics. Heck a simple voltage converter circuit that fits helis already requires research and forum help haha. Am I supposed to know this stuff by now? It seems like I didn't learn anything at Uni (except learning how to follow step by step guides on electronic projects and lots of math). I really need to practice this stuff.
solarcow is offline Find More Posts by solarcow
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:49 AM
Registered User
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Awaiting a F645

After reading all the info herein, I ordered the F645 a couple of days ago, with spare parts. Now the wait begins! This comes after receiving and returning a DH 9118 and a 9116. Bad TX's on each. This is a great thread with amazing info. I'm another Old Guy getting into something I've desired to do for years. Though well practiced with micro 4ch, I'm sure this will be quite a challenge.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:57 AM
Eternal beginner
Rollmops67's Avatar
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper View Post
After reading all the info herein, I ordered the F645 a couple of days ago, with spare parts. Now the wait begins! This comes after receiving and returning a DH 9118 and a 9116. Bad TX's on each. This is a great thread with amazing info. I'm another Old Guy getting into something I've desired to do for years. Though well practiced with micro 4ch, I'm sure this will be quite a challenge.
Hello Hawaiichopper and welcome here.
You won't be disappointed by the F45, it's only a "toy grade" helicopter, but one thing all people will agree here is that it's lots of fun to fly !

Have nice flights and smooth landings.

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:08 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Set all the trims on the Tx back to zero and start from scratch, also make sure that the servo arms are level. Leave everything on and look at the swash plate from the side and adjust the elev link (rear) until the swash is level with the ground. Now look from the back and adjust the ail link (side) until level that way. Check from the side again then test it.

If it wants to drift forward/backward a lot, stop and adjust the rear link. If the movement is forward then screw the link in. If it is backward, unscrew the link. Try to stick with complete turns since the hole is bigger on one side than the other for the ball to fit in.

If it wants to go to either side a lot the adjust the side link accordingly. If movement is left, screw the link in. If right unscrew the link.

From here you will be able to adjust out small movements in any direction with the trims.

Now you should be set.
Hi there , as i pointed before , the swashplate level is high when the blade rotate. So i decide to extend the servo link to make the swashplate parallel . But now the swashplate level is higher than before ( before i take everything out ) . Will it be considered at a problem or still good ? Another problem that ,sometime the flybar and blade buckle is disconnected when rotating !!!

video 2012 10 21 10 35 35 (1 min 30 sec)


and some stills image
noname2x is offline Find More Posts by noname2x
Last edited by noname2x; Oct 21, 2012 at 04:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion On self stabilising single-rotor helis (FP/CP) and comparison to quadcopters and coax LMF5000 Electric Heli Talk 10 Apr 13, 2014 02:59 PM
Discussion UAV systems Single Rotor vs Multi Rotor iskoos UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 2 Jan 06, 2012 10:51 PM
Question Upgrading from Co-Axial to FP Single Rotor Judo JoNny Electric Heli Talk 57 Sep 20, 2010 12:10 PM
Discussion Best FP single rotor 4 CH Heli? helinewbie617 Micro Helis 76 Oct 31, 2009 07:16 PM
For Sale will trade my orbiter coaxial for a fp or cp single rotor heli micro heli Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Sep 05, 2007 01:36 PM