HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Lentar -
Not without fairly major surgery, I'd think? But we've handled bigger challenges here
Good luck!
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Alternative BL motor -
I've ordered this (with a 3mm 10t 0.5 pinion) -
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11884
actually for a different project, but going to try it in the F45 first. Still available, but apparently stock getting low now as well.
The new MJX -
Got to say, I'm a bit disappointed too. Was secretly hoping for a beginner (brushed?) CP, perhaps along the Master lines. Would have been a sure fire seller, and just can't quite see where a big market will be for the 47. But MJX is a TOY company, after all!
That was the first motor I tried when I went brushless. Be careful when you test it.
I got it up hovering, gave it full trottle to see how it popped, and totally blew the tail out. I surprised me so much, I lost it on its side. it's very powerfull.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Bthirsk -
Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely not be hitting max throttle straight off then.
Also for the cautions on the Trex 450 - 10min flying each day, but 45min on the simulator. No crashes yet, but ever mindful. You were right though, really do like everything about it (even the hard work learning). Have even ordered a real cheap (superceded) backup Trex heli kit for when I inevitably DO crash -
http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/goods.php?id=697

But the F45 will stay the fun machine, for more adventurous (risky!) flights.
Cheers
John.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Bthirsk -
Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely not be hitting max throttle straight off then.
Also for the cautions on the Trex 450 - 10min flying each day, but 45min on the simulator. No crashes yet, but ever mindful. You were right though, really do like everything about it (even the hard work learning). Have even ordered a real cheap (superceded) backup Trex heli kit for when I inevitably DO crash -
http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/goods.php?id=697

But the F45 will stay the fun machine, for more adventurous (risky!) flights.
Cheers
John.
It's kind of funny. You're going to a Bigger CP heli and I am going smaller. I just got my MiniCP and set it up today. The first test flight in my basement impressed my with the miniature technology. This little thing flies as nice as my V120 or MasterCP which is twice as large. It will be a good indoor heli for the winter.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:21 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
BThirsk -
It is odd! - but maybe can think of one reason.
Over here, we're heading for the summer. As long as I get up early, local school playing field will be empty and 70-85 degrees for the next six months. On the other hand, have vivid memories of leaving a very cold wet Vancouver, and arriving at Calgary at 20 below, with another 20 of windchill. Indoor heli flying makes a LOT more sense, if Ponoka is anything similar .
But all the best -
John.

PS - They really do a good job with the Align kits, that arrived today. But looks like I'll still have quite a few evenings ahead assembling my plan B!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:53 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Something of more general interest maybe.
Getting fed up with buying a mountain of AA cells for my TXs, have made a cheap permanent fix this way. Shown on a Futuba, but same idea works with any 6v type.
The basic idea is ANY 2's lipo, with 2 1A standard diodes (1N1004) and 2 Schottky diodes (1N5819) in series with the + (or neg) lead.
This gives exactly 6.4v fully charged, with a normal lipo dropoff during use. Particularly handy, if you're spending a fair bit of time on a simulator!
(the diodes are in the black shrinkwrap). Recharge as per usual.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:26 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Something of more general interest maybe.
Getting fed up with buying a mountain of AA cells for my TXs, have made a cheap permanent fix this way. Shown on a Futuba, but same idea works with any 6v type.
The basic idea is ANY 2's lipo, with 2 1A standard diodes (1N1004) and 2 Schottky diodes (1N5819) in series with the + (or neg) lead.
This gives exactly 6.4v fully charged, with a normal lipo dropoff during use. Particularly handy, if you're spending a fair bit of time on a simulator!
(the diodes are in the black shrinkwrap). Recharge as per usual.
I just use rechargeable AA batteries yes you only get around 5.5v fully charged, but it's enough for at least 5-6 hours operation time.
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:34 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Certainly a quicker and easier fix, Slothy
Was going the same way, but with my mania for operating at extreme heights/range, thought there might be a dropoff in signal. If there isn't, yours is the best solution.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:44 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Certainly a quicker and easier fix, Slothy
Was going the same way, but with my mania for operating at extreme heights/range, thought there might be a dropoff in signal. If there isn't, yours is the best solution.
Ah yes, that is always a possibility.. But with my eyesight (I may be young, but I'm still short sighted ) I don't fly much further than about 100m away from myself. And am yet to have a drop-out. I did consider the LiPo route, but couldn't justify it. Also you can get LiFePo4 packs which are 6.6v I believe, which are specifically designed for TX/RX use.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
Could anyone clarify me the difference between these two F645 receivers? Both are found on ebay, as spare parts, but are apparently different. I've also found a version with a wire soldered between two componets, on components side.
serpicus is offline Find More Posts by serpicus
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:31 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Slothy -
Have a feeling that a LiFePo4 pack would cost a tad more than $1.70 at Jaycar. But I've old eyes (AND shortsighted) so I probably shouldn't be going over 100m in any event.
However, the thought was that most in our thread would have an old 2s lying around anyway.
I am certainly impressed at your lack of dropouts - nearing full discharge, 4 Ni-MH cells would be close to 4V. Some of my TXs fail at 5.4V - yet another example of superior MJX tech!
Cheers
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Serpicus
One is from an F45, one is from an F39 (Coax). Hope this helps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpicus View Post
Could anyone clarify me the difference between these two F645 receivers? Both are found on ebay, as spare parts, but are apparently different. I've also found a version with a wire soldered between two componets, on components side.
The second one doesn't look like an F45 board.
  • Firstly both motor connectors are the same size, on the F45 the tail motor connector is smaller.
  • Next the FETs are also both the same size (not necessarily bad), but suggests a bigger motor connects here.
  • Also there is only 2 Servo connectors, and they are on the opposite side of the board (No connection for Brushless ESC)
  • It may be a genuine MJX board, but almost definitely for a Coax!

Can you give us a link to the second one?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:37 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Link -
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MJX-R...542269906.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:40 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Joined Apr 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Slothy -
Have a feeling that a LiFePo4 pack would cost a tad more than $1.70 at Jaycar. But I've old eyes (AND shortsighted) so I probably shouldn't be going over 100m in any event.
However, the thought was that most in our thread would have an old 2s lying around anyway.
I am certainly impressed at your lack of dropouts - nearing full discharge, 4 Ni-MH cells would be close to 4V. Some of my TXs fail at 5.4V - yet another example of superior MJX tech!
Cheers
John
Ni-MH cells as you know are rated at 1.2V, so 4.8v for 4. Plus the extra charge they have when fresh so they have a little more kick than 4v But that said, a set of fresh Ni-MH AAs yields only 2 bars on the display

Regarding LiFePO4's, Hobby King are still pretty cheap. From the Aus Warehouse they are around $4 each for an 1100mAh 10C 6.6v pack plus $8 postage (so maybe get a few other things too).

Or from the Singapore (international) warehouse they are $3.70 each. Plus around $9 postage. So again purchase with other stuff.

Of course this is only worth it if you will use these packs on other Radios too