HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Loss of run time

So I have charged 6 packs with the Imax B6AC so far and I am now experiencing very low run times. I am using the LiPo Balance program charging at 1.5 and cutting of at 8.4. My run times have gone from 9 - 9.5 min with the stock wall charger, to 3 - 5 min with this charger. I have my voltage alarms set at 3.4v. I can say that with the 4 packs I ran today, they sat for 3 days after I charged them. I have ran these packs from 10 - 25 times depending on the pack. Ideas? I am planning an switching to "real" LiPo's as soon as I can find a pack sold in the US I would like to try.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
You know, I wonder if these guys just change names after awile and start all over again. I got a 9117 from Hobby King Technologies Ltd. , that had a bad PCB, after 2 weeks of back and forth and after them wanting a video of the problem (I have no v-camera) they finally said they would send a new one provided I pay shipping. Not the best in customer service. Compare that to Horizon Hobby and the problem with my 120sr, I talked to the tech on the phone for 5 minutes and a new 5 in 1 board was on the way, when that didnt fix it, I returned it for repair and got a new unit absolutly free. It was a bit over 1 month old. Nuff said.

@Juang1430, thanks for the offer man, mighty good of you.
I believe that is the same outfit. In my case, it cost me $95.00 US plus the $22.00 CAD to ship back and get nothing in return. Lesson well learned.
I have 45 orders from Hobby King and have never had an issue or problem with a product or their service. Helipal is even better.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
So I have charged 6 packs with the Imax B6AC so far and I am now experiencing very low run times. I am using the LiPo Balance program charging at 1.5 and cutting of at 8.4. My run times have gone from 9 - 9.5 min with the stock wall charger, to 3 - 5 min with this charger. I have my voltage alarms set at 3.4v. I can say that with the 4 packs I ran today, they sat for 3 days after I charged them. I have ran these packs from 10 - 25 times depending on the pack. Ideas? I am planning an switching to "real" LiPo's as soon as I can find a pack sold in the US I would like to try.
All I can suggest is charge one battery with your stock charger, then hook up the the IMAX and see what the voltage readings are. It may give a clue.
Then fly with that battery and see if it is different.
I have the turnigy accucell 6 which is similar and I get getter charge with it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
OK. I will try that. I can't find where this charger will tell you the individual cell charges but I use a voltage meter. I assume that the "charged capacity" number in the lower right hand corner of my photo is the actual mah that the battery took. I just finished chargeing one of the packs and it only went for 34 min and only took 582 mah. Weird.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,483 Posts
Quote:

Today I did 2 fantastic 9 min flights with my BQY 1800MAH Lipos that were charged with the stock charger about 2 weeks ago if I remember correctly that's for how long I haven't flown my F45!! This is the fault of my last rc toy, the V929 but I must say that today I really enjoyed fighting the 10km wind gusts had 2 near misses when the F45 was diving into the wind, had forgotten how fast it can fly with the BL motor
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,483 Posts
BTW I cajoled my wife to film my second flight after having a wonderful 1st flight and she only stuck it for about 70seconds whilst complaining all the time that the heli was going too far away and she was not seeing it in the camera lcd screen will try to upload it later on when I manage to fing the usb cable to connect the camera to the pc!!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Quote:
OK. I will try that. I can't find where this charger will tell you the individual cell charges but I use a voltage meter. I assume that the "charged capacity" number in the lower right hand corner of my photo is the actual mah that the battery took. I just finished chargeing one of the packs and it only went for 34 min and only took 582 mah. Weird.
When you are charging, press the plus+ key. That should show you individual cell volts. Press the minus key to go back to original display.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
When you are charging, press the plus+ key. That should show you individual cell volts. Press the minus key to go back to original display.
Nice! Thank you.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
So I seem to have solved my battery issue. I changed my voltage alarms back to 3.2 and I am getting almost three time the charge and run times are back up. More to follow.

New one: As I have mentioned, I have two F45's. I have them both hovering almost identical in the garage with the same controller and I am using the same servo arm hole settings. What I have going on is that the newer heli will just flat drop it's nose into the wind and fly where as the other will really struggle which is not a bad thing. It almost seems that it reacts a whole lot quicker to stick input which can be a handfull. Swash plate movement appears to be the same along with the angle of the blade holder at full forward. So I thought I would get some input before I started swapping PCB's and Servos.

The only difference between the two is that the old one has the "7" shaped connectors and the new one had the straight ones.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Quote:
So I seem to have solved my battery issue. I changed my voltage alarms back to 3.2 and I am getting almost three time the charge and run times are back up. More to follow.

New one: As I have mentioned, I have two F45's. I have them both hovering almost identical in the garage with the same controller and I am using the same servo arm hole settings. What I have going on is that the newer heli will just flat drop it's nose into the wind and fly where as the other will really struggle which is not a bad thing. It almost seems that it reacts a whole lot quicker to stick input which can be a handfull. Swash plate movement appears to be the same along with the angle of the blade holder at full forward. So I thought I would get some input before I started swapping PCB's and Servos.

The only difference between the two is that the old one has the "7" shaped connectors and the new one had the straight ones.
The only thing I can think of that might be different is the links from the swash to the flybar. Older models had a 7 shaped link and newer models have the straight link.
Other than that, do the blades in both have the same play. Thighter blades with no clearance give better response. Are the flybars the same?
Heavier weighted flybar dampens response.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
I hear you, War Horse. Have had a few genuine misunderstandings (language?) with other Chinese suppliers, but they have always seemed to be at least sympathetic, and very keen to put things right. Not so Shenzen Huowang Trading.
An acronym for the firm name certainly suggests itself! - am seriously surprised AliExpress still deals with this mob. You'll get your money back - IME - from Ali, but afraid it'll be another month wait for it
But all the best with the next order!
- John
Yep I have had no problems with talking to the Chinese Sellers and they will bend over backwards for you just to make you happy, on the other hand I have had a few problems dealing with Aus sellers not helping at and in fact being dam write rude and arogant and had to get ebay to sort them out.

eg:

I had I guy I brought some car speakers from I gave him the mesurments of the holes and asked him for a pair of speakers that would fit.
He sent me the link to buy the speakers that he recomended so I brought them going by his recomendations they would fit.
When I got the speakers they were way to small for the holes.
So I contacted him and told him that they were tha wrong sixe ect, and his reply was that it was to bad as his policy is that he was not liable for the buyer buying the wrong size speaker. Anyway after alot of heated aruments and the fact that I had kept all of my messages about it stating that it was his desision on the speakers not mine ebay made him refund the money and I sent the speakers back to him at his expence.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
The only thing I can think of that might be different is the links from the swash to the flybar. Older models had a 7 shaped link and newer models have the straight link.
Other than that, do the blades in both have the same play. Thighter blades with no clearance give better response. Are the flybars the same?
Heavier weighted flybar dampens response.
I put new blades on the older one and used new plastic shims on both. If anything, the newer heli's blades are a tad looser, just a tad though.

Good point about the flybar. I will check that out.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:00 AM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,483 Posts
Quote:
I put new blades on the older one and used new plastic shims on both. If anything, the newer heli's blades are a tad looser, just a tad though.

Good point about the flybar. I will check that out.
I think the 7 shaped connectors might slightly effect swash movement but that would be so minimal that you won't be able to notice it!! Why not try swapping the connectors and see what happens, if those are the result of more nose diving into the wind I'd be happy to buy a spare set of straight ones for my F45!! Will be able to fly it in stronger winds
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:00 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
751 Posts
Quote:
I found that when using the stock battery I had to set my alarm to 3.2v as it would go off so early otherwise, since the stock battery tends to have a big sag in voltage when under load. My battery for example, after alarming at 3.2v I let it rest for 10 minutes, and it was back to 3.54v per cell. That's a huge 0.34v sag while under load.

Now my Turnigy 40C 1800mAh batteries I have the alarm set at 3.6v and still manage to deplete around 80% of their capacity, and after stopping, it only increases from 3.6 up to 3.72v, giving only 0.12v sag, that's nearly 1/3rd the sag!

My conclusion is that the stock Li-ion is just not up to the task of powering this heli.
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:24 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Interesting, the difference between 'old' and 'new' F45s
I've found (in the last three new F45s) that there is nothing to be gained by increasing the throw of the elevator servo arm. Slipping the elevator buckle (dogbone) off with max forward Tx doesn't allow for any further movement of the swash - which is contrary to the experience of Gordonzo (and others) earlier this year.
It would seem then something in the geometry has been changed? - Just a thought.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member