Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
New to hobby
Czech Republic, Central Bohemia, Tınec nad Labem
Joined Mar 2012
22 Posts
You got me there I really want to have something to fly with right now, but when I'll have it, I am sure I will be as patient as I can not to break it quickly.

I am glad to hear, that it can beat up against the wind of such speed. 328a is little too small for what I expect. Although I'm aware of the limitations FP helis have, I'm not confident enough to fly CP helis yet, since I've only experienced cheap coaxial 4ch helis and have no training on RC Simulators.
I was told that MJX makes their helis extra durable compared to others, is that true? And is there any manufacturer that produces moded parts for MJX helis? (Xtreme does not have them on the list, nor I found any other manufacturer)

You are right about moding being as fun as flying, I will definetely try to change its design at least, to give it more personal look. Also thinking about brushless motors, but I heard there's a catch in doing so.

Thank you gordonzo for answering my questions, you've been more than helpful. I'm going for F45 in about 2 weeks. Can't wait to hover the "beast"
Gorduza is offline Find More Posts by Gorduza
Last edited by Gorduza; Mar 12, 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes :)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:39 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorduza View Post
You got me there I really want to have something to fly with right now, but when I'll have it, I am sure I will be as patient as I can not to break it quickly.

I am glad to hear, that it can beat up against the wind of such speed. 328a is little too small for what I expect. Although I'm aware of the limitations FP helis have, I'm not confident enough to fly CP helis yet, since I've only experienced cheap coaxial 4ch helis and have no training on RC Simulators.
I was told that MJX makes their helis extra durable compared to others, is that true? And is there any manufacturer that produces moded parts for MJX helis? (Xtreme does not have them on the list, nor I found any other manufacturer)

You are right about moding being as fun as flying, I will definetely try to change its design at least, to give it more personal look. Also thinking about brushless motors, but I heard there's a catch in doing so.

Thank you gordonzo for answering my questions, you've been more than helpful. I'm going for F45 in about 2 weeks. Can't wait to hover the "beast"
The 5-7 km/h winds in which I have flown the F45 is only 3-4 mph. I think it can do better - but I am still babying it.

I don't know if MJX are more durable than others but they do have a good quality feel to them. I have compared my big MJX-T23 and F39 side by side with the Syma S033 and FXD A68688 and imo MJX construction is more robust while motors and receivers look similar. MJX transmitters generally have configurable throttle and servo control through their lcd display and new releases are 2.4ghz.

As far as modding parts you have to come up with your own ideas and those of other rcgroups owners. Check out my attempts at making the big MJX-T23 servo'd 3ch handle better outdoors in this thread. I will update that thread soon. So far it's 'outdoors' 1, gordonzo 0.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:44 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
I just got mine. Hovers almost hands free out of the box. Well built.
Mine came with a li-po battery which was good because the charger I got has European plug.
Here is a photo comparison to DH 9116. Much larger.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:55 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Mine came with a li-po battery which was good because the charger I got has European plug.
Other than size, how does it compare to the 9116? I am tossing up between the MJX-F45 and new DH9117, which is a larger version of 9116.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:30 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
It has much less slop in the linkage. The servo links have no play.
The swashplate fits the main shaft properly and looks more durable.
Servos and links are properly positioned to eliminate side loading servo arms.

Main blade holders need a little modification. I set my blades with a very slight tension. These need a little mod because the centering pin is a little too long.

The pcb mounts to the top of the battery mount. I think it needs a better mount.
A new mount will also allow a larger battery. A 2200mah will just about fit.

I will fly in the next day or so when the 20 plus km winds subside.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
New to hobby
Joined Mar 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
It has much less slop in the linkage. The servo links have no play.
The swashplate fits the main shaft properly and looks more durable.
Servos and links are properly positioned to eliminate side loading servo arms.

Main blade holders need a little modification. I set my blades with a very slight tension. These need a little mod because the centering pin is a little too long.

The pcb mounts to the top of the battery mount. I think it needs a better mount.
A new mount will also allow a larger battery. A 2200mah will just about fit.

I will fly in the next day or so when the 20 plus km winds subside.
BThirsk, could you post here some pictures of what you mean by modification of main blade holders and the pin? A detailed picture of rotor head would be also appreciated. I have come accross a difference between 45° rotor head and 45° flybar offset and I'm curious what type does F45 have and how it affects flying.

I believe that this heli comes with 1500mAh battery, right? Bigger battery might be just a reasonable step further with break-in both motors.
I was thinking about changing the blades to wooden Xtreme 255mm 8° together with their 380X motor for HoneyBeeV2.
Gordonzo, could you confirm blades and motor compatability between F45 and HBV2, for they are same size, right?

Thanks for hints, Gorduza
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Where did you get your F45? Mine came from Aotop on Aliexpress and had the correct plug, but my manual was Chinese.

Is there a brand name or C rating on your battery? I believe Li-ion and Li-po charge the same way.

I suggest you move the aileron servo arm to the outside hole before attempting any kind of breeze. And watch the fast turns - it can get away from you until you get used to how it handles. Mine needs full aileron to turn unless there is lots of space. I set my tx for elevator servo at 100% and throttle at 65% (mid-point I think). And 'Stick Mod 4' is actually mode 2.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
I got from firecabbage.
I am at work, so I'll check tonight.
I just looked on the battery after I saw a post stating lion. On mine, there is a warning label on the opposite side of the battery where the rating is that specifies li-po and charging warning to only use li-po charger.
Yes, I noticed the Ail was in the middle hole. Unusual.
And the stick mode was really confusing. Mode 2 should be mode 2.
This is battery. Not very good picture.
Last edited by BThirsk; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorduza View Post
BThirsk, could you post here some pictures of what you mean by modification of main blade holders and the pin? A detailed picture of rotor head would be also appreciated. I have come accross a difference between 45° rotor head and 45° flybar offset and I'm curious what type does F45 have and how it affects flying.

I believe that this heli comes with 1500mAh battery, right? Bigger battery might be just a reasonable step further with break-in both motors.
I was thinking about changing the blades to wooden Xtreme 255mm 8° together with their 380X motor for HoneyBeeV2.
Gordonzo, could you confirm blades and motor compatability between F45 and HBV2, for they are same size, right?

Thanks for hints, Gorduza
A bigger but more importantly, higher C battery, is definitely in my future. I have a decent 7.4V 1500mah li-po that is half the weight of the stock battery (which I think is actually a li-ion) that I will try and report back.

I don't know anything about wooden blades but the stock HBFP blades look like they could be made to work. They are shorter and wider which should be fine. The mounting hole would have to be slightly enlarged. I think there is potential there and it may even make for quicker handling. I have some so I may try it later and report back.

The motors are similar size and pinion gear but my HBFP is a V2 with 3s 11.1V while the F45 is 2s 7.4V. I don't know whether that could be made to work.

See photos below.

Quote:
I got from firecabbage.
I am at work, so I'll check tonight.
I just looked on the battery after I saw a post stating lion. On mine, there is a warning label on the opposite side of the battery where the rating is that specifies li-po and charging warning to only use li-po charger.
Yes, I noticed the Ail was in the middle hole. Unusual.
And the stick mode was really confusing. Mode 2 should be mode 2.
This is battery. Not very good picture.
Most helis come from the factory with relatively tame settings to avoid us amateurs crashing them on first hover and then claiming they are defective.

My battery is exactly like yours and is also labelled li-po. But it has a li-ion shape to it and weighs 2x of a 1500mah li-po that I have for my T23 project. That is why I think it is actually li-ion. Mislabelling batteries, incorrect modes, . . . do you see the pattern here?

Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Hi all yes it's a Li-Lion not a Li-Po and can be charged with any satndard Li-Po Ballance Charger.

I have just orderd my F45 and it should be here next week.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:05 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Hi all yes it's a Li-Lion not a Li-Po and can be charged with any satndard Li-Po Ballance Charger.

I have just orderd my F45 and it should be here next week.
Still getting the 9117 Eugene? Or chose this instead ?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Hi Sam yep I will get both.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:02 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
addicted..
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:20 AM
New to hobby
Joined Mar 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Can we expect some comparison from you??

These are the wooden blades (10° and ) and 380X motor I was talking about. They say: "For modified motor users (EHB005), we recommend the 8 degree blades instead (EHB004-08)."
The motor thing, I am not expert so please correct me if I'm wrong. If the HBFP2 motor needs more voltage than original F45 motor, we could use a multiplier to get higher voltage from the battery, but I am not sure how the current will be affected by this action, as well as battery life. Does anyone has any experience with adjusting voltage for motor? (or wouldn't it be easier to use brushless motor?)
Last edited by Gorduza; Mar 14, 2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: preventing multiple posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:30 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
yep I will be doing that and I'll give you my findings it should be here next week sometime but from what I have seen from the home page and what I have read about it etc I think it will be a cut above the DH range
MJX Toys Home Page