HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:10 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jul 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
The best reason I can give for using 2 batteries is no noticeable power drop.
If you only use one 11.1 volt battery, you can only easily fit in the 1500mah. You are right about nothing larger fitting.
If you use a UBEC, the pcb and tail motor are dependent on the main battery for power. When the main motor is also drawing power, the available amperage and voltage are interdependent on this available power source.
The setup I ended up with uses a separate 7.4 volt battery to run the PCB/tail motor. The 7.4 volt battery never gets below 7.8 volts after 8 minutes of flying so the tail motor and servos are never starved for power. The main 11.1 volt battery also only gets to about 11.5 to 11.6 Volts over 8 minutes and because the main motor is the only thing drawing of it, the main motor is never starved for power.
Using the 2 batteries keeps the CG almost perfect. I don't like shifting weight to achieve different flight tendencies. If the heli does not handle as I think it should, then something is not right.
In the case of the F45, we have enough swash movement as can be demonstrated by giving a quick flick of the cyclics. The bird jumps and then settles down into a stable position. This is not a lack of swash plate movement.
It is the flybar controlling the cyclic blade pitch. Someone reduced the weight and found more response. I am just waiting for one more piece so I can finish modifying the flybar to use paddles and adjustable weights to fine tune the flybar.
My 2 cents worth.
eventhough I am not really good in fully understanding all terms you used above, I give you an A+++ for the whole explanation you gave... atleast I could get something out of it.. 4 thumbs up!!
juang1430 is offline Find More Posts by juang1430
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:07 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juang1430 View Post
6 axis gyro should be more stable and easy to fly compared to 3 axis gyro..
As for me, right now I would rather get a flybar version due to budget restriction.....
If you want a budget 450, try Leader Hobby. I got mine for $99.00 US and it is OK. I changed to my Walkera Devo 8 radio because it is far superior, but I flew several times with the radio that comes with it and it works ok as well. It would be as good as the Esky radios I have seen before. At $99.00, you don't have much invested if its not what your looking for.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:09 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
eventhough I am not really good in fully understanding all terms you used above, I give you an A+++ for the whole explanation you gave... atleast I could get something out of it.. 4 thumbs up!!
What terms did you not understand and I can clarify. I often abreiviate because I'm a lazey typer with a sore hand.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:30 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
http://www.xheli.com/eskyheli-004010-d700-3g-bnf.html mmmm they have the fbl version too quite tempting at 238USD
I watched an into video on that... looks pretty powerful! I notice it uses 2 batteries.

Quote:
The best reason I can give for using 2 batteries is no noticeable power drop. If you only use one 11.1 volt battery, you can only easily fit in the 1500mah. You are right about nothing larger fitting.
If you use a UBEC, the pcb and tail motor are dependent on the main battery for power. When the main motor is also drawing power, the available amperage and voltage are interdependent on this available power source.
The setup I ended up with uses a separate 7.4 volt battery to run the PCB/tail motor. The 7.4 volt battery never gets below 7.8 volts after 8 minutes of flying so the tail motor and servos are never starved for power. The main 11.1 volt battery also only gets to about 11.5 to 11.6 Volts over 8 minutes and because the main motor is the only thing drawing of it, the main motor is never starved for power.
Do you fly beyond 8 minutes? It sounds like you have enough juice left over to go another 8 minutes.

Quote:
Using the 2 batteries keeps the CG almost perfect. I don't like shifting weight to achieve different flight tendencies. If the heli does not handle as I think it should, then something is not right.
In the case of the F45, we have enough swash movement as can be demonstrated by giving a quick flick of the cyclics. The bird jumps and then settles down into a stable position. This is not a lack of swash plate movement.
It is the flybar controlling the cyclic blade pitch. Someone reduced the weight and found more response. I am just waiting for one more piece so I can finish modifying the flybar to use paddles and adjustable weights to fine tune the flybar.
My 2 cents worth.
I just received a notice from HK that the 1500mah is in stock. So I clicked the link and it's sold out already It seems they can't keep stock long. I wonder why they don't increase their supply

I know my CG is slightly forward ATM and last night I was in a breeze so I tried flying backwards and wasn't going anywhere. I was happy when I spun around and was able to cut into the wind much more easily than I have in the past. I had no problem bringing it back. So it's starting to make more sense to me how a faster head speed will make this a much easier bird to fly. I think I'll keep the balance off until I get the brushless setup working. I had to abandon my EDF idea for now. I'm still wanting to try that at some point and even have a little S107 motor rigged up with a 3 sets of small blades on it. I am impressed with how much air it moves but so far I haven't found a way to mount it to the F45.

Thanks everyone for your posts. The good news is my EH200's shipped today. 3 weeks from now I'll be staring at them and by the looks of it, that'll be it as no one seems to have any 3s batteries in stock that will fit the frame properly.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Quad Design
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:03 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Do you fly beyond 8 minutes? It sounds like you have enough juice left over to go another 8 minutes.
I haven't been going beyond 8 minutes, but could easily fly twice that long. The main motor would be fine, but the tail motor might get a little too hot.

Just put the 1500mah on backorder and you will be first in line. They get batteries pretty regular. Infact, all the items I had in my wish list have arrived in the last week so I placed my order on Tuesday for everything I needed.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
http://www.xheli.com/eskyheli-004010-d700-3g-bnf.html

mmmm they have the fbl version too quite tempting at 238USD
One thing to note, it appears the head is all plastic similar to their old Belt CP.
For no receiver, TX, or controller, It is a little high priced in my opinion.
Needed to fly:
Transmitter
Receiver
***Flybarless System***

Here's something you can compare to with all the required parts to finish at the bottom.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_Compat_.html
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:25 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
I haven't been going beyond 8 minutes, but could easily fly twice that long. The main motor would be fine, but the tail motor might get a little too hot.

Just put the 1500mah on backorder and you will be first in line. They get batteries pretty regular. Infact, all the items I had in my wish list have arrived in the last week so I placed my order on Tuesday for everything I needed.
Since I was feeling impatient I went on ebay and found a 1000mah 3S. I have a 2S 540mah I can use for the PCB sitting here so hopefully that's enough juice for what I need. hmm... if I multiply the mah by the number of cells with the current battery I get 4400. If I compare to the new configuration with 2 batteries I get 3000+1080 = 4080 for a difference of 380. I would imagine the higher headspeed requires more energy, but I'm going to guess the brushless motor is more efficient so my prediction when taking the relative trajectory of the moon into consideration is that I'll have slightly less flight time with notably better performance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
If you want a budget 450, try Leader Hobby. I got mine for $99.00 US and it is OK. I changed to my Walkera Devo 8 radio because it is far superior, but I flew several times with the radio that comes with it and it works ok as well. It would be as good as the Esky radios I have seen before. At $99.00, you don't have much invested if its not what your looking for.
Can you post the link? ty.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
What terms did you not understand and I can clarify. I often abreiviate because I'm a lazey typer with a sore hand.
Don't bother about this.... What is really gonna help me here is how to go bl and using 2 lipos... I really need help on the termination / connection (i.e. jst, Y, from where to where to connect / terminate, etc...). call me a sloth, but you know, I just can't get it up till now...
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:53 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Don't bother about this.... What is really gonna help me here is how to go bl and using 2 lipos... I really need help on the termination / connection (i.e. jst, Y, from where to where to connect / terminate, etc...). call me a sloth, but you know, I just can't get it up till now...
The 3s battery connector connects directly to the ESC power wire which you will solder a mating connector to fit the connector on the battery you chose. The ESC has a connector that goes into the servo port at the front, throttle. It also has 3 wires that connect to the brushless main motor. That's all there is for the main motor hook up.
Your 2S battery just connects into the original JST connector in the frame. It supplies the PCB, servos, and tail motor.
That's all there is to it. It's really pretty simple. You can also watch the video on my blog for start up procedures.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Can you post the link? ty.
This is the one I got. It's not the best by any means, but it flies good and hasn't blown up yet. You get what you pay for. It's just that the ESKY model this was suggested is not much better than this.
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001226921
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
This is the one I got. It's not the best by any means, but it flies good and hasn't blown up yet. You get what you pay for. It's just that the ESKY model this was suggested is not much better than this.
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001226921
Man... another temptation. Even with $37 shipping it sounds good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
The 3s battery connector connects directly to the ESC power wire which you will solder a mating connector to fit the connector on the battery you chose. The ESC has a connector that goes into the servo port at the front, throttle. It also has 3 wires that connect to the brushless main motor. That's all there is for the main motor hook up.
Your 2S battery just connects into the original JST connector in the frame. It supplies the PCB, servos, and tail motor.
That's all there is to it. It's really pretty simple. You can also watch the video on my blog for start up procedures.
Hi Brent;

I've watched it more than 5 times but it is too messy for me, a guy with a D in electronic...

I've also asked my LHS about going BL but maybe business is so fast, so they were just ignoring me there; leaving me speaking to my self alone....hahahahaha...
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Jul 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Hi Brent;

I've watched it more than 5 times but it is too messy for me, a guy with a D in electronic...

I've also asked my LHS about going BL but maybe business is so fast, so they were just ignoring me there; leaving me speaking to my self alone most of the time...hahahahaha...
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Hi Brent;

I've watched it more than 5 times already (as far as I can remember) but it is too messy for me, a guy with a D in electronic...

I've also asked my LHS about going BL but maybe business is so fast, so they were just ignoring me there; leaving me speaking to my self alone most of the time...hahahahaha...