HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I would not suggest the 5000kv on 7.4 volts.
I used that in my firefox CP and it did not work well. With full battery, it was OK.
When battery got to about 7.8 to 7.9 volts, the power was hardly enough to keep in the air and that heli is half the weight of the F45.
Ok. I kinda hoped I could start there and build up. As usual your experience is killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
Damn and to think about a month ago McDonald's were giving a free EH200 with every mcFlurry you buy and eat
What! I almost never eat there.... but I would have!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:27 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Ok. I kinda hoped I could start there and build up. As usual your experience is killer.

What! I almost never eat there.... but I would have!
my experience with hobby king is I buy the item and put on backorder. When they get stock, which is usually several weeks, I get one. If you just wait til they get some, the backorders are filled first and they may sell out just filling backorders.
I have been trying to get a turnigy 9x tx since last Feb, but they would not put that item on backorder. They now will allow backorders so I bought one and will get as soon as they have stock.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
RCCrashtest -
This link (which purports to be from MJX itself) offers F45's - Chinese box! - through Ali Express.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
Catch is you've got to buy 2. But free EMS, camera included, and if you had a mate wanting to buy 'the best' 450gram AUW FP?
Sorry to hear about the disaster.

PS: just now received another f645 direct from Banggood (got an unresolved dispute with aliEx atm, been running a while). Well packed, reasonably fast delivery, and hovers fine out of the box: but I share Slothy's reservations about anything other than '1 of X' from BG.
But BG does do PayPal.
Thanks Oz! This is very tempting, and my neighbor has mentioned wanting one of these...LOL, I buzz his house on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Here ya go Wayne's shop F45
Thanks Wiz. I would've already pulled the trigger, but there is no way on god's green earth, that I will pay $48.41 for shipping. Hell, I could order a F45 and a handful of main motors from Banggood for that price.

Thanks again you guys,

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:24 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
You will definitely need a pinion to fit on the BLmotor shaft as stock won't fit since it's 2mm shaft!! I don't know if this combination will work but on someone on youtube had success with a BL inrunner motor on his F45 I will try to search the link for you.

OK HERE's one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTiO71Q1t6I

and here s another if you understand german

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHMfFaS3J4&feature=plcp
The top one looks good, easy to install, the German guys mod is maybe to powerfull, but both motors are not so cheap :-( I'll start searching for some other usable inrunners.
Flyor is offline Find More Posts by Flyor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:35 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
my experience with hobby king is I buy the item and put on backorder. When they get stock, which is usually several weeks, I get one. If you just wait til they get some, the backorders are filled first and they may sell out just filling backorders.
I have been trying to get a turnigy 9x tx since last Feb, but they would not put that item on backorder. They now will allow backorders so I bought one and will get as soon as they have stock.
I've only had one or two orders from HK so far and only ordered what was in stock. I've had the EH200 etc. in my wish list since everyone kept throwing rocks at me because I don't have one yet... I might just buy a few extras if I get the EH200 from another source so I can help others if they get stuck waiting... and if not, I can maybe build up and sell a couple F45's to other locals that are following me.

Is there any reason to get the 5000kv motor over the 4100kv? That's a lot more RPM, is it just that much too much for the head?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:31 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
I've only had one or two orders from HK so far and only ordered what was in stock. I've had the EH200 etc. in my wish list since everyone kept throwing rocks at me because I don't have one yet... I might just buy a few extras if I get the EH200 from another source so I can help others if they get stuck waiting... and if not, I can maybe build up and sell a couple F45's to other locals that are following me.

Is there any reason to get the 5000kv motor over the 4100kv? That's a lot more RPM, is it just that much too much for the head?
If you use the 5000KV on 7.4 volts, you will run out of power too soon. On 11.1, the head speed is too high even with 10 degree blades. What works the best is if you hover around 50% throttle. With the 5000kv, you would be around 35%.
I test a 5100kv motor that was also way to powerfull and it made the heli not flyable.
On these, you do not have control of pitch curves so you are at the mercy of the motor and blades you use to determine how everything functions.
On a CP heli, You can set head speed independently from pitch curve so you can have high head speed before your pitch comes in.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:53 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,496 Posts
I see the logic. That's superb information. I was flying about an hour ago and was watching how the new motor was compared to the old. I never really noticed any difference in the performance when I went from the stock battery to the nanotech lipo you all recommended. Now that the motor is new it is noticeable. I was skimming over some construction materials and had to punch the throttle a few times to avoid obstacles and it takes right off. I even bumped the nose into a sign (mostly on purpose) to see what would happen and a quick top on the throttle and the recovery was pretty much instant.

I've noticed also that after taking off the rear bars and fins combined with the new battery and the 808 #16 strapped underneath - I can get some pretty serious dives going. I've had the nose to some pretty freaky angles both down and up the last 2 days. I checked the balance and it seems the F45 is now about 1cm forward of the shaft. I'm liking the response I get and since pulling out of a steep dive has not been a problem I'm not sure there's much point trying to change it.

It's funny, I fly the F45 somewhat hard but not nearly as crazy as I fly the V929's. I rarely crash it, and try to avoid doing stupid moves as I have more respect for the F45 as it feels less like a toy than the V929's. I really like both. Kind of like having a sport bike and an ATV.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:21 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
F45 Fall of Death

Want to see what happens when you don't buy a simple $3 voltage meter/buzzer-alarm?

"Oh the Carnage"

F45 "Fall of Death" (2 min 4 sec)
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:04 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,496 Posts
Ouch! As bad as it is, all I can say is at least you caught it on camera. I hope you can salvage most of the bird.

On another note - It would appear I have 3 sets of
EH200 with 20a ESC and 0.5M Φ2.3mm 10T pinion with set screw on their way. I'm taking the chance that I'll set these into my F45 and it'll go well enough that I can sell the other 2 sets locally or to other Canadians... We'll see what happens a few weeks from now. I had best get on ordering an 11.1v lipo and some new blades to match it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:50 AM
Dirk
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Ouch! As bad as it is, all I can say is at least you caught it on camera. I hope you can salvage most of the bird.

On another note - It would appear I have 3 sets of
EH200 with 20a ESC and 0.5M Φ2.3mm 10T pinion with set screw on their way. I'm taking the chance that I'll set these into my F45 and it'll go well enough that I can sell the other 2 sets locally or to other Canadians... We'll see what happens a few weeks from now. I had best get on ordering an 11.1v lipo and some new blades to match it.
Hi Rexless,
May I ask where you bought thenEH200 motors from? Thanks.
501419 is offline Find More Posts by 501419
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:33 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
You guys got me into this – special mention to Gordonzo and Markkona! – and a few hundred flights (and many, many crashes) later I feel I’m at least a fair F45 pilot. And, imho I’ve found that this is a cheap, easy to fly, NEAR indestructible, 300ish size FP with some wind capability out of the box.
So I guess others reading our posts will ultimately take the plunge into FP and the MJX F45.
As in all helis, there are useful mods. These I have found particularly beneficial, and are mostly from previous contributors - but now collated in one place.

FWIW, my own ‘must do’ new F45 checklist (after initial hover test):
1) Install flybar bumper on main boom
2) ‘Paperclip and epoxy glue’ reinforcement of buckle (dogbone) loop guides on rotor head (see p184) – Or Hinnerk’s full rebuild mod when they fail (same page). Done both, on different F45s.
3) Check insulation around the main motor terminals – add heatshrink (or tape) if faulty. The canopy pushes hard on these wires, and a short here will total the FET on the main PCB instantly. Others have reported – and I’ve noted one of mine - coming OoTB with damaged insulation.
4) Anchor the PCB to support struts with glue gun. Similarly anchor other subassemblies to main PCB.
5) Remove at least 3 of the 5 tailrotor motor cover supports for improved airflow.
6) (nice, but not essential) Solid rod replacement for tube landing gear skids (the stock tube cracks very easily in front of the forward skid support).

And for better fff, at the expense of a little stability –
7) Shim both blades (3-4 plastic binder reinforcement rings on each blade work well). The blades should be (only just) able to turn the rotor without shifting.
8) Remove horizontal stabiliser and support tubes from the boom. Add an equivalent weight (about 10g) of Bostik blu-tack (or hot glue) inside the nose tip of the canopy - OR fit a longer LiPo as suggested in previous posts, which equally effectively shifts the CoG forward.

Finally, and more contentious here!
9) If free flights are going to be consistently over 6 mins, or hovers over 3-4min, fit heatsinks to both motors. Within these limitations, however, I have noticed no difference in motor MTBF between one of my F45s with heatsink, and another without. You get around 8-10h runtime, either way (but of course, YMMV).
However, I do agree that with long flight durations in high ambient temperature, it may be possible to destroy one of the brush support arms before the brush wears out, leading to very premature failure. Heatsinks here may tip the balance, unless they occlude the motor ventilation holes.
TL, DR? An awesome <$100 heli, but get spare motors. Or go brushless.

Additions or corrections welcomed from anyone!
- John
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:50 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,628 Posts
nice write up John You can now add change the stock blades to some cheapo walkera #4 blades from Dealextreme if you go brushless they make the responsiveness of the F45 more sharp IMO after trying them outside this morning. I nearly forgot to film my flight and then filmed the last 3 minutes with my mobile phone resting on a stone wall!!! Will see how the clp will come out later on if I get a chance but those blades are definitely staying on the F45 till they break I am going to order a spare set now!!
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:58 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
ty!
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:06 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
nice write up John You can now add change the stock blades to some cheapo walkera #4 blades from Dealextreme if you go brushless they make the responsiveness of the F45 more sharp IMO after trying them outside this morning. I nearly forgot to film my flight and then filmed the last 3 minutes with my mobile phone resting on a stone wall!!! Will see how the clp will come out later on if I get a chance but those blades are definitely staying on the F45 till they break I am going to order a spare set now!!
I'll be PM-ing you when I go brushless for a complete list of parts you used mate as you seem to be having the most fun with your Brushless F45.
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:24 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
I'll be PM-ing you when I go brushless for a complete list of parts you used mate as you seem to be having the most fun with your Brushless F45.
no problem mate but if you search for my posts on this thread I listed the parts I used more than once I thin k
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona