SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:38 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Perhaps try this. If you put the linkages back to the stock locations, power up the helicopter and tx. Set the tx to 100% aileron and elevator. Run the sticks to their max and watch the angles the swash gets to. Next power everything down, remove the linkages and carefully use your fingers to move the swash through its motions. On my F45 there was no visible difference so I determined there was no point to the mod. Your may be different of course.
If you move your linkages one hole further out it does make a difference yes but only one hole especially on the elevator arm it made a great difference.
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:41 AM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank183 View Post
Hey guys,

I also have an F45 and I'm quite happy with it. The only thing that bothers me right now is that the "nick" movement is kind of weak. When the wind is coming right from the front then the nose goes up and even with full stick forward the nose doesn't come down. That happens already in rather low winds. Also the roll movement could be better.

Does anybody else is having this problem or am I doing something wrong ?

Now I saw this picture here from Geso who put the servo arm into the last hole. I'm not sure if I understood this correctly: is this possible to do without any other modification ? And what tool did you use to do that ?

And most importantly: was this helpful for flying ?

Best regards
Frank
Try using full left or right (depending on wind direction) aileron with full elevator against the wind it helps a lot when you apply them both simultainously when trying to move agianst the wind. Also make the other changes in the TX that is put all settings oespecially elevator and throttle to 100%! I would leave the rudder at 80-85% though it makes you make nicer banked turns in my opinion!!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:50 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jul 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo68 View Post
What other brushed tail motors work on the f45. Recently burned mine out and the closest place for me to order is RC Roanoke in Virginia and they won't have in stock for about 2 weeks. They sell the whole boom set for $7.95 plus $2.29 shipping to Pa. so i'm just curious as to if there's anything else brushed that'll work so i may not have to wait
If you have a reliable hobby shop around you, this won't be so hard to solve. Today I'll be replacing my broken tail motor with a different brand from a local hobby shop here. Hopefully it'll last longer. I'll update you of the brand and specs late today.
juang1430 is offline Find More Posts by juang1430
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:16 AM
geo68
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Good man. Look forward to it. Greatly appreciated. Gonna make sure i get a heat sink for this next one.
geo68 is offline Find More Posts by geo68
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:08 AM
Joined Aug 2012
65 Posts
Frank183 is offline Find More Posts by Frank183
Last edited by Frank183; Aug 13, 2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Nervous finger ;-)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Aug 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
Try using full left or right (depending on wind direction) aileron with full elevator against the wind it helps a lot when you apply them both simultainously when trying to move agianst the wind. Also make the other changes in the TX that is put all settings oespecially elevator and throttle to 100%! I would leave the rudder at 80-85% though it makes you make nicer banked turns in my opinion!!
Thanks a lot, I'll try that. Maybe together with some ease on the throttle.

And yes, I set throttle, elevator and aileron to 100% and the ruder a bit less. I also find that at default settings the rudder reacts a bit aggressive which kind of "shakes up" the heli for a moment.

And maybe I'll try the mod on the servo arm. Those who did it: what tool did you use ? And is there anything special to pay attention to ?

As for the motors: I was *very* annoyed when the main motor died on me after a short time. But by now I think that for a 450 heli you normally pay a minimum of USD 300. And that is without TX, chargers, etc.

That doesn't make it less annoying, but you have to live with it. When you order - order 3-4 main and tail motors each. Spending another 8-12 bucks a month on motors is just on the bill.

BTW, as my vendor here in Germany wasn't able to deliver I tried the motor of the ESky Big Lama because it looks exactly the same. (Except for the connectors). It fitted in just fine, but it doesn't revv high enough. The heli lifted off only a foot and that was it ...

I ordered my motors directly in China. Took almost 3 weeks, but it came in just fine.

Regards
Frank
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:42 AM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Thanks a lot, I'll try that. Maybe together with some ease on the throttle.

And yes, I set throttle, elevator and aileron to 100% and the ruder a bit less. I also find that at default settings the rudder reacts a bit aggressive which kind of "shakes up" the heli for a moment.

And maybe I'll try the mod on the servo arm. Those who did it: what tool did you use ? And is there anything special to pay attention to ?

As for the motors: I was *very* annoyed when the main motor died on me after a short time. But by now I think that for a 450 heli you normally pay a minimum of USD 300. And that is without TX, chargers, etc.

That doesn't make it less annoying, but you have to live with it. When you order - order 3-4 main and tail motors each. Spending another 8-12 bucks a month on motors is just on the bill.

BTW, as my vendor here in Germany wasn't able to deliver I tried the motor of the ESky Big Lama because it looks exactly the same. (Except for the connectors). It fitted in just fine, but it doesn't revv high enough. The heli lifted off only a foot and that was it ...

I ordered my motors directly in China. Took almost 3 weeks, but it came in just fine.

Regards
Frank
STock motors will last 100 flights and more if treated correctly unless MJX bought a batch of defective motors as mine was still going strong after 50 plus flights and tail motor is still going strong as well I think I have over 80 flights on that one!! You don't need any tools for the servo arm mod only thing you have to buy another servo arm to mod both elev and aile servos as the Elev servo has the arm cut off from the factory!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:22 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,648 Posts
Quote:
That's were you are wrong. I have friends of mine who can land a CP heli and get it to land were they want exactly with the engine switched off!! They use the negative rotation of the wind when the heli is coming down to control it, I can't even begin to think how they bloody manage it but here in Malta it's the first thing they practice when people get into CP helis, how to land them with no power from a decent height so they are prepared for when a fault happens whilst flying
Most CP helis have a belt or shaft driven tail so it is still spinning and controlling the tail during autorotation. If the tail is not under control the heli will spin and you can't stop that. Landing might be possible, but would involve lots of skill and luck.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:34 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
641 Posts
Quote:
I tried the motor of the ESky Big Lama because it looks exactly the same. (Except for the connectors). It fitted in just fine, but it doesn't revv high enough. The heli lifted off only a foot and that was it ...
Hello Frank.

This is normal, the big lama has a 3S battery (11,1 volts) and the windings of his motor are intended for this voltage.
So with the 7,4 battery of the F45 it hasn't enough power.

Einen schönen Tag wünscht

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:53 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,247 Posts
Quote:
That's were you are wrong. I have friends of mine who can land a CP heli and get it to land were they want exactly with the engine switched off!! They use the negative rotation of the wind when the heli is coming down to control it, I can't even begin to think how they bloody manage it but here in Malta it's the first thing they practice when people get into CP helis, how to land them with no power from a decent height so they are prepared for when a fault happens whilst flying
What you are describing is the autorotation manuever and you need a minimum altitude usually to do it. The downward speed is transferred to the blades and the energy is used as an air brake as the pilot adds full up collective on the CP. Someone else can correct me here if I'm wrong but that manuever is used when the main engines fail. With a dead tail motor I don't think the energy would transfer to slowing the bird's downward speed quite as much as transferring it to the main shaft as rotational energy, since the tail would not be able to counter the increased torque from the full collective being added.
Don
hifinsword is online now Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:14 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
What you are describing is the autorotation manuever and you need a minimum altitude usually to do it. The downward speed is transferred to the blades and the energy is used as an air brake as the pilot adds full up collective on the CP. Someone else can correct me here if I'm wrong but that manuever is used when the main engines fail. With a dead tail motor I don't think the energy would transfer to slowing the bird's downward speed quite as much as transferring it to the main shaft as rotational energy, since the tail would not be able to counter the increased torque from the full collective being added.
Don
That's pretty much how it works.
There is a one way bearing connecting the main gear to the main shaft. When the motor stops, the blades free wheel. You apply negative pitch which keeps the blades spinning. When you are just above the ground, you give full positive pitch to break the fall and then back out to about 5% pitch to land. Timing has to right on and you only get one chance.
I've never seen a Heli with a tail motor that even has auto rotation on the main rotor, although there might be some. On a Heli this size, it would be very unlikely to do much good anyway as there is not enough mass in the rotor blades.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Hello Frank.

This is normal, the big lama has a 3S battery (11,1 volts) and the windings of his motor are intended for this voltage.
So with the 7,4 battery of the F45 it hasn't enough power.

Einen schönen Tag wünscht

Roland
I see. I just couldn't seem to find the specs of this lama motor.

Just for curiosity: what if you'd connect a motor designed for 3,7V ? Would that revv at double speed ? Would it be burned ?

Grüße aus Freiburg
Frank
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
You don't need any tools for the servo arm mod only thing you have to buy another servo arm to mod both elev and aile servos as the Elev servo has the arm cut off from the factory!
My understanding there is that they used some standard servo arm which doesn't fit into the casing which is why they had to cut it off. I only saw now that Geso appearantly cut out a piece of the casing to make the uncut arm fit.

Well, at least for now I wouldn't go as far. But even "as is" there is one more hole for the elevator that would technically give a bigger amount of movement. I guess I will try that first.

Best regards
Frank
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
641 Posts
Quote:
I see. I just couldn't seem to find the specs of this lama motor.
Just for curiosity: what if you'd connect a motor designed for 3,7V ? Would that revv at double speed ? Would it be burned ?

Grüße aus Freiburg
Frank
Hallo Nachbar !

The motor will in fact turn with higher speed, but just for a short time !
The windings are made for a 3.7 V voltage, this means the motor will drain the double of it's normal current when fed with 7,4 volts (danger for the mosfet transistor on the Receiver's circuit board !), it will become hot very quickly and finally burn.
So that's not a way to go !

Roland
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Aug 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67 View Post
Hallo Nachbar !

The motor will in fact turn with higher speed, but just for a short time !
The windings are made for a 3.7 V voltage, this means the motor will drain the double of it's normal current when fed with 7,4 volts (danger for the mosfet transistor on the Receiver's circuit board !), it will become hot very quickly and finally burn.
So that's not a way to go !

Roland
Ok, then I'm glad that I picked an 11.1V motor ... ;-)