Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:28 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc4 View Post
The separate rx thing works It was so foggy and little windy lost sight of bird so only flew for few mins, The controls are super responsive I need to adjust swash linkage lots of rev not enough forward a Newbee would have dumped it.Going to be gone a few days on a project. But will swap out Honeybee control when I get back. Looks promising but I would want a few flights under your belt before making the conversion.

Ray.
Sounds like it can be done! Good work!
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Check this out Chris I cant take total credit for it but It works. I put super skids on My mjx after noticing the originals were broke after crash. Take 2 chunks of 1/2 pipe insulation and 4 cable raps and bird can take a pretty good drop without busting anything. dont weight hardly anything, And for anyone new starting out they don't fall off like training gear. Being an engineer I could have done better but it's simple and cheep.
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Check this out Chris I cant take total credit for it but It works. I put super skids on My mjx after noticing the originals were broke after crash. Take 2 chunks of 1/2 pipe insulation and 4 cable raps and bird can take a pretty good drop without busting anything. dont weight hardly anything, And for anyone new starting out they don't fall off like training gear. Being an engineer I could have done better but it's simple and cheep.

Holy moly...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Think positive if it ever goes down in water it wont sink.

Ray
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
I dropped it 3 feet on hardwood floor and it bounced can't do that with stock skids.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:41 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,433 Posts
That's funny! There's a guy with a 9116 that put a wine cork on his tail to prevent flybar strikes from denting it. I love it when people come up with creative solutions!

I cannot wait to get my 808 #16 and mount it to my F45. If I can get out on a calm day I'm going to send this heli up as high as I can. Google maps - watch out!
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Trouble with it is a lot of us had to do with so little for so long, we can do almost anything with nothing,

Anything to keep it in the air
Ray
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:18 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
How does that affect high speed handling?

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
I'm no Ace by no means. Hovers awesome speed about the same. small amount of drag This mod was not intended for people that have been at for a long time it actually banks a little better, Putting black tape over the ends and cutting them on an angle would help. I just tossed them on for a test with new RX cause I didn't know what was going to happen. I do mostly sport flying cruising around, generally just having fun. I like speed I used to own a Honda Interceptor and usually had it flat out. I'm no expert at this but before I die I will own or build a decent 450 to 500 class FP Heli that a normal everyday guy can fly. The 9116 and the Mjx have provided me with an economic way of proving a few of my theory's out. I enjoy criticism and learned from it. Heck I still pile up one of my CP's now and then and I stand back and look at like it was a learning curve. Some of us were not meant to be champion CP pilots, Me I recon i'm one of them. When it gets right down to it it's all about having fun, I enjoy FP flying, The stress level is way less then 6ch CP's Getting old I guess.

Ray
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Well I can't get the tx and rx to bind no matter what I do. I checked the pcb and even took apart the tx to look for loose wires. I'm not spending anymore time on this thing. I went through it and put ball bearings everywhere and even balanced the blades....can't even fly it. Gonna go fly one of my CP's and wait for my Spektrum 61115n the parts bin rx to comn it and just convert it to brushless and throw thid mjx tx i
flatthump is offline Find More Posts by flatthump
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatthump View Post
Well I can't get the tx and rx to bind no matter what I do. I checked the pcb and even took apart the tx to look for loose wires. I'm not spending anymore time on this thing. I went through it and put ball bearings everywhere and even balanced the blades....can't even fly it. Gonna go fly one of my CP's and wait for my Spektrum 61115n the parts bin rx to comn it and just convert it to brushless and throw thid mjx tx i
Whoops...meant to say: "wait for the spektrum 61115rx to come in and convert it to brushless and toss the mjx tx in the parts bin.

I bought this bird for my 11y.o. son, he's just gonna have to get by with his Mcpx for the time being. I'm trying to get him into a larger CP heli and I figured a slightly agile large FP would be a good stepping stone to learn the physics of a massier craft.
flatthump is offline Find More Posts by flatthump
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
@flatthump I'm up to 11 Tx's now. I think it's BS that we in this modern age of Technology cant come up with some kind of standard to have one the Mother of all Tx's bind with anything. It wouldn't Happen in my lifetime. Take it out in the yard back over it, say a few words then Bury it in the back yard. And Move on, The MJX is a fine bird we just have to mod it to our demands.
Good Luck
Ray
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:08 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,483 Posts
I'm back from another 2 nice flights with my F45 I'm really enjoying this bird so much that I've put my CP plans on hold for the moment as I can't help thinking that it would be a difficult choice which heli to take with me when I'm going for a half hour flying even though you can land one and fly the other!! the problem is I have to steal the time to go flying full time job and being married with kids at same time is no easy task to get free time Then there's also the wind working against you even though it's summer here with 38degrees tempertures in the shade and 85-95% humidity!! the wind always manages to pick up during the day and I still haven't got the guts to try flying at night!!
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:48 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
751 Posts
I'm like you rpc4, I don't think a career in hardcore 3D trickery is in my blood, I'm in it for the joy of flying. I plan to get something like the Walkera 4F180 which is a FP with a 4 blade flybarless head, with Airfoil blades and stick a scale canopy on that. Flying scale would be so much more relaxing without worrying about the complexities of CP

The if I want to muck around, get an agile Quad.

The F45 is a great platform for experimentation and at a good size and price.
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:27 PM
Eternal beginner
France, Alsace, Strasbourg
Joined Jun 2012
625 Posts
It's here !

Today the post delivered my F45, I was like a little child getting a new toy !
I charged the battery, and because it was windy I tried to hover it in my car's garage (after taking the car out !).
It's my first non-coaxial helicopter with a tail rotor, luckily I knew this things are going to the left when taking off, so I was no wondering and achieved to hover but with a fair amount of stress (the garage is small and only 6 feet high)
This afternoon I moded some details :
- heatsink on the main motor
- Moding the battery compartment for a 2200 mAh battery
- Replacing the little jst connectors on the heli and the batteries with EC3 ones.

This evening the wind had gone down to about 5-10 Kmh, so I tried to fly this thing outdoors, I had prepared 2 batteries.
Man oh man, this changes from coaxial helis !
When opening the throttle and and going full forward, I was surprised of the speed (servo arms and links settings are stock, on the Tx throttle is at 70% and after 2 mn of flying I decreased Elev to 60 %)
At my first fly, pushed by the wind, to my surprise the heli went away very quickly more then 300 feet , but I managed to bring it back against the wind.
When the heli is this far, the front LED is very useful.
I managed to drain both batteries without crash, but have to say I was exhausted after about 25 mn of flying... (it's only a few months I begun with RC helis, and there are worlds between a Lama V4 and a F45 )
I noticed that when turning "fast" (I'm still learning so for me fast is not soooo fast) the heli has a tendancy to slide, it's surprising at he begining.
The F45 has the same flaws as other FP helis, when flying with low throttle, it isn't very very responsive, but this changes when cranking up throttle !

For my next attempts to fly, I will take my car and go to another bigger place, this heli needs it.

Have nice flights and no crashes

Roland
(sorry for my english)
Rollmops67 is offline Find More Posts by Rollmops67
Last edited by Rollmops67; Jul 07, 2012 at 03:47 PM.