Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Discussion
New video: VTPifR (vtpr in the clouds)

Watch in HD fullscreen with sound on for desired effect

VTPifR (3 min 6 sec)

Fun session right before dark. Wind was 15-18mph (estimated, might've been closer to 20), really bumpy, and conditions were decidedly IFR. Screw it, I'm flying anyways

First test of a GoPro2 for me, seemed to work pretty OK in the failing light.

The Le Fish I'm flying is the same one from this summer, the AUW is 16.5oz but I had the keyfob camera on the tail plus counterweight on the nose, so AUW as flown here was probably about 18oz. Aside from all the bumps - and when it gets bumpy at the Ruins, it doesn't matter what you're flying, you're in for a wild ride - it handles bigger lift just fine (it flew OK in 22-25 last weekend at Ellwood too).

Swiss Peter showed up with his plane and a gigantic lantern from Home Depot or someplace. The conditions weren't fun for his Swissfish (and he gets to fly perfect days while I'm stuck at work so it wasn't really worth bothering for him lol). We had some laughs before deciding we were cold and wet enough and bailed. Fun day

Steve

P.S. - I know I said I'd use blues for the next one, but it just didn't fit, for me. Next time
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Feb 19, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:56 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Cool! The mist gives an unreal effect.

The important thing is that the sound matches the action, and it does! The blues isn't really that suitable for many flying videos TBH...

You need to stay in really close with the GoPro..
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2011
168 Posts
LOL, Dont keep that lantern on the fish for to long up close, it might melt it. LOL
PropWorks West is offline Find More Posts by PropWorks West
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:30 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Thanks guys. The GoPro did pretty well in low light but I definitely need to work on the aiming/centering. And yes, you've got to fly quite close to fill the frame - you can see in that one place where I step to pick up the plane, it was about a step and a half away even though it (to me) looked further. Mainly I'm planning to use it for FPV but for close in stuff it's ok. This filming business is a hobby unto itself!

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,859 Posts
Very cool Steve!

I enjoyed the video (several times).

I think you matched everything up perfectly... good moves, unusual flying conditions, "strange" lighting, groovy tunes. The GoPro's super wide angle and barrel distortion added to the mood... but was not distracting since the fog "hid" the distorted horizon line.

I shot some helmet cam with my GoPro yesterday... also attached it (bare ) to the Le Fish light. I will post something later.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Thanks Dawson! I look forward to yours, am sure it will be beautiful with amazing flying per usual

First tests of the FPV system are a success on the R/C car... Next up flight testing

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Much as I love the Blues Chris called it right regarding matching it to flight videos and, as always, you(and Dawson) come up with great sounds that choreograph the flying.

You've created another unique piece to add to the library. How did the Fish feel with the minicam on board?

Ken W.
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:59 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Shudder...Aacckk... he mentioned the "F.." acronym, and not just once, but TWICE !
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
Sanata Barbara,CA
Joined Aug 2008
132 Posts
What time were you up at the Ruins. I went up there around 4:00 and it was just as foggy and wasnt able to fly. Very awsome video!
thermal king16 is offline Find More Posts by thermal king16
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Very enjoyable video. Love the atmosphere...and the flying is great too.

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:12 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewk View Post
How did the Fish feel with the minicam on board?
The keyfob cam was on the tail like in the onboard video from Ellwood, but in reviewing the footage from the camera, the clouds were so moist that it just misted up almost immediately and became useless after 30sec or so.

Anyways, the keyfob cam weighs about 1/2 oz or so, and I ended up guesstimating about 1.5oz of noseweight (which I taped onto the nose) and it flew just fine, I really couldn't tell it was there at all. Flew like a Fish

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:13 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
Shudder...Aacckk... he mentioned the "F.." acronym, and not just once, but TWICE !

Oh babby you know what I like

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:15 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal king16 View Post
What time were you up at the Ruins. I went up there around 4:00 and it was just as foggy and wasnt able to fly. Very awsome video!
About 5:30-6:00 or so. Thanks, I generally don't recommend flying in these conditions, but I was confident I could keep it close and low enough. It's still a stupid thing to do and can lead to a lost glider very easily, so don't do it. I'm a trained professional and stuff like that (lolwut?)

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:25 AM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Really cool and playfull vid, two solid thumbs up!
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,859 Posts
Thanks Steve...

"LOLWUT?" was new to me. We googled it at breakfast this morning... and had a laugh. I can't wait to "spring it" on one of the youngsters.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh