HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
Discussion
Plea for Park Hawk Assembly Assistance

Hi.

Just got my Park Hawk in the mail and have realized that my (severe) lack of experience in things RC has me at a major disadvantage when assembling the thing.

I was hoping to get a few clarifications on some of the steps in the instructions I found on the website. Thanks to all who are willing to help in advance; Iím super eager to get this marvel in the sky but donít want to screw it up in the process.

THANK YOU!!!

Ok, my dumb questions:

1. Connecting the Speed Control to the ďFlapperĒ

I think that Mr. Kinkade saved me the trouble of working through the complexities of the Speed Control (the instructions on that were making me dizzy Ė lots of bold warnings). The only think I have left to do (I think) is to connect it to the Flapper motor.

Iím confused at this point: I see three different colored wires coming out of the motor and my speed control has one side with all blue wires (which in the few pictures I could find seem to be the ones that people attached to Flapper) and another side with a red wire, black wire, and a pair of leads that look like they should connect to the receiver.

Iím assuming the three blue connect to the Flapper and the thing with the plug on the other side connects into the receiver. Not sure what the spare red and black wires do. They seem extra.

2. Installing the Servos

I think I got this right (after some trial, error and lots of squinting at fuzzy pictures on the net). All of the directions in part 9 of the instruction manual had me spinning a bit.

Also Ė the little screw holes didnít fit too well. The one way back on the tail barely fit Ė I was afraid I was going to crack something back there. Alas, I managed to get it in and was able to use one screw. The other is too misaligned. That makes me think that I screwed something up.

3. The Receiver

Iím assuming that I plug my servos into #1 and #2 on the receiver and the Flapper and speed control into #3. The battery plugs into the top of this thing where it says Battery.

The problem Iím having is still thinking about those red and black wires from #1. It looks like the power flows through the Receiver to everything else. But, seeing those wires shakes my confidence.

Am I missing something?

4. What is this extra loop-thing??

Came with the receiver. Looks cool Ė but canít tell what Iím supposed to do with it.

---

Sincerely,

brendon
bpcmusic is offline Find More Posts by bpcmusic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:01 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
picture1 yes but you need 2 screws in tail servo
..............2 is for binding your radio
...............3 you need to make motor rotates the right direction sothe glide locks dont jamb rotate it by hand and you will see what i mean if when wires are connected to the motor it spins the wrong way just swap wire over
...............4 channel 3 is usually for the esc
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
Helpful Videos

In regards to the speed control, I found these helpful videos on YouTube. Learned that what had me confused is that the kit didn't come with a connector fitting so that my speed control can be connected to the battery directly (via the wires that I thought were "extra").

RC Motor and ESC Wiring - Part 1 (8 min 51 sec)

RC Motor and ESC Wiring - Part 2 (8 min 36 sec)

RC Motor and ESC Wiring - Part 3 (6 min 48 sec)

Off to Frys...

Thanks!

b
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
direction of the rotation of the gears is criticial turn it by hand both directions and you will see what i mean cheers brian
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
ParkHawk

Thanks for the help!

I think that I've got it together. Still not sure which way the rotation should be; but the way I have it flapping doesn't seem to get caught or anything.

On the motor side, the gears are running counter-clockwise. This make sense?

Cheers!!

b
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
BCPMusic,

Sorry this is so confusing but it would likely be equally confusing on your first RC airplane or helicopter. There are just some basics to RC that need to be aquainted with then it gets easier. This is one thing that typically differentiates between an RC hobby grade model and a toy. Typically in hobby grade RC models there is a vast array of compatible accessories by numerous manufacturers to choose from as opposed to a toy that comes all inclusive.

I manufacture my ornithopter kits but I don't make the motors, ESC's, servos, etc.
As far as components and accessories I work with what the industries provide. Up to know in most cases the RC industry sells ESC's with no connectors. That I suppose was to leave a choice of connector up to the customer. For the abject novice this can be a bit of a pain because you will have to solder and heat shrink a connector onto your wires or as in your case worse..as you didn't even know which wire did what!

My instructions do go over all the wiring in depth though and make it pretty easy to understand.

As for the wire loop, yes that is the binding plug for the radio but if your radio is working so not fool with it! I setup and bind all of my radios before I ship them to save my customers the headache. I take each and every transmitter and hook it up to my PC and set the servo parameters. I then bind the receiver to it.
It's all a tricky mess since the radios don't even come with CD's anymore. The program to adjust the radio is called T6config and has to be downloaded off the net.
Then you have to know how to get that working right which is sometimes a pain in itself. Then, the binding procedure is set of distinct steps and if you do it wrong it won't bind. There are many Youtube videos that go over it but if your radio is set up and working as it should be, there is no need to fool with it.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
NO! The motor and main gears should be rotating CLOCKWISE as viewed from the bird's right side ( motor side). If the ratchet pawls are not binding that is because I now lock them in the up position for safety to avoid the disaster of stripping gears right out of the box. The motor rotation must be determined correct, then you the owner will need to back the ratchet pawl screws out little by little until they toggle. Then they will be operational.

There is a reason for all my *warnings* in the instructions. RC models like this aren't overly complex, but like RC helicopters they do require ATD ( attention to detail) and TLC ( tender loving care).
Last edited by Kinkade; Feb 20, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcmusic View Post
Hi.

Just got my Park Hawk in the mail and have realized that my (severe) lack of experience in things RC has me at a major disadvantage when assembling the thing.

I was hoping to get a few clarifications on some of the steps in the instructions I found on the website. Thanks to all who are willing to help in advance; Iím super eager to get this marvel in the sky but donít want to screw it up in the process.

THANK YOU!!!

Ok, my dumb questions:

I think that Mr. Kinkade saved me the trouble of working through the complexities of the Speed Control (the instructions on that were making me dizzy Ė lots of bold warnings). The only think I have left to do (I think) is to connect it to the Flapper motor.

Iím confused at this point: I see three different colored wires coming out of the motor and my speed control has one side with all blue wires (which in the few pictures I could find seem to be the ones that people attached to Flapper) and another side with a red wire, black wire, and a pair of leads that look like they should connect to the receiver.

Iím assuming the three blue connect to the Flapper and the thing with the plug on the other side connects into the receiver. Not sure what the spare red and black wires do. They seem extra.

2. Installing the Servos

I think I got this right (after some trial, error and lots of squinting at fuzzy pictures on the net). All of the directions in part 9 of the instruction manual had me spinning a bit.

Also Ė the little screw holes didnít fit too well. The one way back on the tail barely fit Ė I was afraid I was going to crack something back there. Alas, I managed to get it in and was able to use one screw. The other is too misaligned. That makes me think that I screwed something up.

3. The Receiver

Iím assuming that I plug my servos into #1 and #2 on the receiver and the Flapper and speed control into #3. The battery plugs into the top of this thing where it says Battery.

The problem Iím having is still thinking about those red and black wires from #1. It looks like the power flows through the Receiver to everything else. But, seeing those wires shakes my confidence.

Am I missing something?

Came with the receiver. Looks cool Ė but canít tell what Iím supposed to do with it.

---

Sincerely,

brendon
Brendon,

Your elevator servo looks correct, but your tail rocker servo is not. It may work the way you have installed it but that's not the actual way it's intended. The tail rocker servo should slip through the G-10 rocker so the servo case flanges are on the outside, not the inside. It's a lot easier to get the screws in that way.

I used to use #2-56 machine screws for the servo mounting but have now switched to #2 self tapping screws. I still typically tap the holes with a 2-56 thread although this does not match the coarse self tapping screw thread but pre tapping the hole seems to make the self tapping screws go in easier. If one screw seems hard to screw in I may have missed tapping that hole. Whatever the case, the self tapping screw should screw in and if the part splits or something just let me know and I will figure something out.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcmusic View Post
Hi.

THANK YOU!!!

Ok, my dumb questions:

2. Installing the Servos

3. The Receiver

Am I missing something?

---

Sincerely,

brendon
Too clarify....
I go over the motor and speed control wire issue in depth in the instructions. Forget the color codes on the three motor wires and three ESC wires. You can hook a brushless motor up with any of the three wires in any configuration as long as one wire goes to another one wire..and the motor will run. Reversing any two wires will simply reverse the motor direction. So in my instructions to simplify matters I ask the user to connect the center ESC wire to the center motor wire and leave it. That leaves only the outer two wires to fool with where getting the right motor rotational direction is just a matter of swapping the outer two wires if you need to.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
Thanks for the Assistance

Please don't take any of my questions/confusion as a reflection of the quality of the Park Hawk. It is an inspiring, majestic machine. I am so eager to get it in the air and a bit scared of breaking it before I have...

Your service has also been excellent (including these forum comments). While I have assembled electronics in the past, I am a complete and total novice when it comes to RC stuff. And, while I've read the instructions I downloaded from your site several times over - my lack of familiarity with many of the terms was leaving me a little lost and bumbling.

I am having a heck of a lot of fun, btw! I imagine that this won't be the last Ornithopter that I order from you.

OK - on to Muninn (I've already named her)...

I've just switched the polarity for the motor and things seem to be rotating properly now. I've also figured out what ratchet pawls are thanks to Google. I've found them on Muninn and backed off the screws a bit as you suggested. They seem to be doing their job now.

I think I will leave the tail as-is for now. The servo was a giant pain to get in there and isn't going anywhere. If Muninn is flying strange I will revisit.

I've been having trouble getting all 4 of the o-rings on her tail. The left and right ones are no problem. I'm not sure that the top and bottom will stay on very long - they are barely attached as is. Is this a problem?

Again, thank you very much for all of your assistance. I know a newbie like me can be annoying with all of their questions; know that your patience and support is sincerely appreciated.

b

PS: I took a shot a listing a few things to add to the manual that might help future novices like me.

http://o.b5z.net/i/u/1619807/f/SK_Or...ion_Manual.rtf

1) Pictures. Lots of pictures (and close-ups). That will help immensely. Fifteen minutes with an iPhone could save an ignorant customer like me hours of squinting at compressed pictures on Google Images trying to figure out if they are assembling it properly. A close-up of the tail would have been a major time saver.

2) Include information on the proper rotation direction for the gears. I've searched through the manual and found no mention of the term "clockwise" or anything that would suggest what the proper rotation direction is. This seems important enough that you might want to add it (unless I missed it - then make it more clear ).

3) Include explicit information about the Ratchet Pawls - I would have never figured out I needed to back off the screws as I hadn't even noticed that they were there. Glad for the tip on that, btw!

4) For those of us that purchase the accessory package, please include all manuals and documentation for the accessories. I had no idea how to use the charger and the batteries. After a bunch of work on Google I found a manual and had figured it out a bit. Since the batteries weren't labeled with any kind of specifications, I treated them as two-cell batteries and tried to charge them with the lowest setting (as I had no idea their mAh rating). After going to Frys to get an AC adaptor for the charger, it throws a connection error when I attempt to run it. The batteries work in the bird so I'm assuming there is something wrong with the charger. I'm off to a RC shop to debug.

5) Include a battery connector for the speed control in the accessory package. That was the one piece that kept me from getting it together without a mandatory trip to Frys. As is, I ended up salvaging one from the charger adapters and soldering it onto the speed control as they didn't have one.

Thanks again!!!

b
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
i'm glad you noticed the rocker Sean cause i didnt at a second look yes it should be through the rocker assembly oopssssssssss
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
Continued...

Yeah; glad he did as well. I would have assumed it was somewhere in the gearing working without my involvement...

Figured out my charging situation. Suffice to say, I'm a total idiot.

Total.

Thanks to all for the help. I'm going to get her flying today! Seems to be all ready.

b
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
bpcmusic,

Almost very deficiency you point out about making the instructions newbie/user friendly are valid. I was just discussing you with a local contractor who's been working on my house who is interested in getting a Slow Hawk but is also a complete RC newbie. He expressed almost the identical concerns you did.
He said "why don't you install the servos when someone buys the accessory package?" It's labor for me but he has a point. I'm so familiar with it that I could probably install the servos in about 2 or 3 minutes. So that is something I will likely start doing.

And then the issues with the ESC witing and connectors..that too will soon be a no brainer because I have ordered some new motor/ESC combos that have all mating connectors installed. I ordered 60 of the units along with some other things. Problem is after being told they were in stock and waiting a week for them.. I received a partial shipment and was told the combos were out of stock. So now I'm told it will be 2-6 weeks before I get them. (you would think those Chinese factories wouldn't have such production problems...I don't get it.) But although it's too late to make a difference for you, I had already been thinking along those lines to take every opportunity to make my kits from ARF closer to RTF.

As far as the instructions going over motor direction that's has to be in there somewhere. I will have to go check to make sure but that's an important thing so I can't see where I could have left it out.

I used to include a very basic lipo charger that ran on AC power only. That was good for the house but not so good for the flying field. I just recently upgraded my accessory packs to the far better yet more complex multi charger which runs off a 12V D.C. source. It does come with a plug jack with two alligator clips and that is for attaching it to a typical car battery for its power supply. That's because you usually charge your spare batteries off you car at the flying field while you fly. This is old hat for RC'ers but again maybe not obvious to you.
I know what you mean by being confused by this charger! I was confused with that charger for a while too. The basic chargers charged the batteries through the balancing connector alone and I was used to that, so when I got my first multi charger I tried this over and over but kept getting a error. Then I realized on the multi-charger both the main connector and the balancing connector have to be plugged in to charge.
You are right. I need to make all this stuff clear and easier so the user doesn't have to comb through all the accessory manuals.
Regarding the radio however, the way you received it is the way I receive them...no CD, no printed manual.
Last edited by Kinkade; Feb 21, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:57 PM
PARIS
Joined Oct 2002
831 Posts
SUGGESTION:
For complete beginners: a video from A to Z might be a good idea, taking comments from beginners.
KOROBELNIK is offline Find More Posts by KOROBELNIK
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:08 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,172 Posts
i agree robert a picture says a thousand words