HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
Hi Rawy,
Despite the hardood spars and plywood in diferent areas, I feel the plane will be lighter than my Emily flying boat. This is a very big wing and I suspect it is going to do some floating. I thus decided there will be no point to add flaps. I can put them in later if I feel it will benefit the plane. I think the plane would have come out just as well and easier to build it in solid hotwired wings and tails. Slab sided as the fuselage is would be good with less wood amd more Z-fold foam and blocks too. But this is ok and it is going to be a good construction.

Your planned Marlin will be a good project built like this. You will save cost on a pile of wood. Although I bought a load of 1/4 x 2 1/4 inch wide wood from Home Depot and it was probably comparible to balsa cost. I cut them into strips 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 nches. I also cut some larger widths too.
Thanks,
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:24 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,440 Posts
Bob your balsa work is simple superb Sir, The ribs & formers, & spars inside your Mars wing is soo intricate and exact, and I CAN"T get over how fast a builder you are Sir, simply must be seen to be believed!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:32 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
Well thank you again. I guess we are both experts in different building styles. I just happen to like your tutoral videos and your glossy finish work on those airliners. You have to remember I do not have a job other than playing around in the hobby. I hope to be near done by mid May. It is possible.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:02 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
It will more than likly fly like my solent or better, in that case no flaps are needed it flys very slow and is like flying a big light trainer that lands in water. . I did not use belcranks in my wing but used two servos and programed the ail to go less up than down Ivan called for .She is looking great Bob ! joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
Joe,
I am working on the ailerons today. I will put in the hinges soon with control horns. I will put servos in the wings wth a connection at the wing socket areas. The ailerons are very long on this plane. They will flex if I put horns near the wing joint ends. I am going deeper to the middle of the ailerons.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Joe,
I am working on the ailerons today. I will put in the hinges soon with control horns. I will put servos in the wings wth a connection at the wing socket areas. The ailerons are very long on this plane. They will flex if I put horns near the wing joint ends. I am going deeper to the middle of the ailerons.
**Neons** Bob
I put some small blocks in mine with dubro round hinge points i just dont like using ca hinges on my big planes. joe
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
Same here. That is the plan.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:14 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
same plan on my Triple 7
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
Wing Joints Outdoor Size Display

This is what I got done today. The joints are hardwood. They are boxed in for a snug fit the male parts. I had to square them to the rib surface and build as it went. I am going to put a push wire in from the leading edge in a brass tubing that goes through the male plugs. This will hold them in place securely while in flight.

Next is the wing float mounts and a sub surface box for the servos. Then back to the mid wing.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
753 Posts
Bob

that is looking fantastic.. you are still a bit ahead of my Sunderland Build..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1592701

just had a very very busy month.... still "working for the man" unlike yourself

what span is it? my Sunderland is just under 90" span and my wing looks small compared to yours

following your build with major interest

David
how much is offline Find More Posts by how much
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Hi Bob and David .both of your builds are starting to shape up well .It makes me want to start my ivans albatross soon. joe
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:47 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for support. I believe in the last week I have bypassed your build. My plugin wings are ready to cover today. Yours is of a much finer construction than my "Build Rule Breaker". You can't beat balsa for construction beauty. Yours is a Master build. You are putting together a perfect aircraft. My plane is 120" span. It was determined if I followed Ivan's plans closely I would have it under 10lbs. or 4.5 kg. I determined I want some more strength and weight so I can fly in light winds.

The wing area should easily fly up to 15 to 20lbs. or 9Kg. I am determined to finish in 6 weeks or less to get Spring trials on the plane. I am waiting to hear from a new supplier of Depron foam. They said they are waiting for the factory to produce it. I may give up waiting in another week or two. I will check out your'e Buildl Log later as I am building right now into the night.

Now Joe,
This is almost flying and motorcycle season. I am betting you will not start anything as the build season is almost over for the average modeler. I will say last year I started building Emily on April 1rst (April Fool's Day) and built it in 3 months. What do you think you will do now? My homemade Albatros HU-16A is a jewel to fly once all the bugs were out.

**Neons** Bob.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
With gas prices the way they are here i will be riding my road king alot more this summer .My jobsite is south of me about 20 minutes but nice country all the way so it will be nice to ride the bike more. I will start a build but i still want to build ivans twin otter 600 first ,i bought the lazer cut parts for it. I just have to clear off all my small projects off of the bench . Looking good Bob hope you get your order of foam soon. joe
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Dave,
Thanks for support. I believe in the last week I have bypassed your build. My plugin wings are ready to cover today. Yours is of a much finer construction than my "Build Rule Breaker". You can't beat balsa for construction beauty. Yours is a Master build. You are putting together a perfect aircraft. My plane is 120" span. It was determined if I followed Ivan's plans closely I would have it under 10lbs. or 4.5 kg. I determined I want some more strength and weight so I can fly in light winds.

The wing area should easily fly up to 15 to 20lbs. or 9Kg. I am determined to finish in 6 weeks or less to get Spring trials on the plane. I am waiting to hear from a new supplier of Depron foam. They said they are waiting for the factory to produce it. I may give up waiting in another week or two. I will check out your'e Buildl Log later as I am building right now into the night.

Now Joe,
This is almost flying and motorcycle season. I am betting you will not start anything as the build season is almost over for the average modeler. I will say last year I started building Emily on April 1rst (April Fool's Day) and built it in 3 months. What do you think you will do now? My homemade Albatros HU-16A is a jewel to fly once all the bugs were out.

**Neons** Bob.
Bob

thanks for the compliments... your build is in inspiring, i cant believe how quickly yours is coming together compared to mine, i think we both started around the same time... there is a lot to be said for your build methods.

what does stand out however is our predicted flying weights..

yours at 120" span and only 10 pounds, mine at 90" span and 7lbs

its almost like a return to aeromodellings very beginings with huge "stick and tissue" free flight models weighing next to nothing i am sure neither of us will be dissapointed with our end result.

David
how much is offline Find More Posts by how much
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:13 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
I got my float mounts and servo boxes done in the wings today. I made the wood strut frames with hardwood and balsa. Then I set them up for angle and glued them together. I guess i just had to find something more to do for tonight.

After a supper break I did start the floats. I find working with foam so easy and fast. If you looked over the float plans you would be there for a couple days with the small frames and formers let alone the finishing.. You can see them sitting on the foam block pictures. I roughed them out on my bandsaw. I think they will be done tomorrow and ready for glass cloth. I'll add some pics here when done.

**Neons** Bob
:
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 01, 2012 at 03:16 PM.