HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Bob,
Awesome job. I don't know if you noticed or not and kinda hate to point it out but it looks like some of your balsa might be bad in you stab, it looks to have turned pink!

Seriously, nice work. It will be interesting to see how your rudder linkage comes together.
How does the rudder area compare to the original design? Is it more or less? I would bet it'll be a bit more effective being in line with the prop thrust.

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:06 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,841 Posts
John. Thank You Sir,
It appears the rudders area is not far from the area on the single rudder system. It is very close to same sizes. It also appears the complete tail is enlarged about 5%. The Depron covering and the addition of a carbon fiber spar makes the elevator quite rigid. I am working on getting the whole assembly mounted today.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:43 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,841 Posts
I spent most of the day sanding every edge on the assembly. The whole tail assembly is getting to the finish now. As mentioned earlier, the tail assembly is 36 lnches long. Toward the end of the day I got the tail saddle in place. I still have to connect the cables and put in the final mounting. Shaping up. It is 1 month since I started. Next week I can start the wing parts.
**Neons**Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Mar 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:47 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Very nice Bob.

The Mars is taking shape in his majestic presence, keep them coming
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I have a 30 % rudder mixed with my ail to help keep nice flat turns on my solent ,with you new build i dont even think you will need that much Bob . Thought i went awol didnt ya Bob ,iam just watching and taking it all in. Looks great Bob keep up the nice build. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:55 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,841 Posts
Joe. On the mix you used. Is it same direction turn or slightly opposite angled? I would think turning the same direction would make it turn to sharp. I think maybe a little opposite may help holding the nose up some. I need to do that on my Emily this year.
Thanks Rawy and Joe.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
[QUOTE=**neons**;21069862]Joe. On the mix you used. Is it same direction turn or slightly opposite angled? I would think turning the same direction would make it turn to sharp. I think maybe a little opposite may help holding the nose up some. I need to do that on my Emily this year.
Thanks Rawy and Joe.
**Neons** Bob[/QUOTE It is going in the same direction left turn ail is left turn rudder .There is not to much diheidral in these so rudder does not bank them but turns them flat .My 1/3 sig cub will not turn at all with out rudder input and if it did it would not look scale . The cub scared me on its maiden ,i thought i forgot to hook something up on its first flight .I had to learn back then to fly with both hands but now with radio mixing life is good .I need to get my old cub out she is sitting on 5 ft floats. joe
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:44 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,841 Posts
Big Cub. Must be nice to watch it fly. I am going to do some mixing this year on my large seaplane. I had the plane banking to much in the turns. I worked on 2 different rudder bellcranks today. I finally gave in and glued in the plywood plate in place. I'll try again tomorrow. The elevator Y split should be easier.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I used this from sulivan but it flexes alot. so i ended up epoxying it solid. No more flex ! lol joe
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:50 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,841 Posts
Interesting thing you have there. I will make up something tomorrow in that form with a pair of clevises. I am using the clevis ends on my Y for elevators . This way I can remove the whole tail assembly if I have too. I do not trust ball connectors. I just went check the rudder bellcrank as the glue is curing and it seems good so far as it is not flexing now. I was trying to originally test it freehand and it was moving in the temporary hole.
**Neons**Bob
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,841 Posts
I can just about say I am done with the tail section. All the controls are connected and the assembly is secure with 2 dowels and 2 screws holding it in place.

I just happened to find an automatic bailer in my old boat stock. It says $2.95 on it. I checked and they are up a couple bucks more. I am going to install it in the hull in the deepest part of the V near the step. It has a plastic float ball that raises to make the seal in the water. After the plane is airborne the ball drops down and any water will fall out.
http://www.aeromarinerc.com/index.ph...emart&Itemid=1

I got all the wing rib patterns cut out today and will start the wing construction tomorrow. I found a new Depron type foam that came out in RC groups and it is 1/4 inch very high quality. I ordered a box of it and I am thinking of using it as the wing skin beyond the balsa leading edges. I'll know when it comes in if it is a go..
http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
The story is here on the foam.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245

More pics coming on the wing soon after I get into it further along.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,841 Posts
Mid Wing Assembly

This is how far I got fabricating the middle wing portion in the last 2 days. I am giving this wing a rest while I do the 2 outer wings next. I want to get the plug in spars working before any covering takes place. It will be easier this way. The clamps on the wing are holding elastic pressure while the Elmers Poly glue cures tonight.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Interesting thing you have there. I will make up something tomorrow in that form with a pair of clevises. I am using the clevis ends on my Y for elevators . This way I can remove the whole tail assembly if I have too. I do not trust ball connectors. I just went check the rudder bellcrank as the glue is curing and it seems good so far as it is not flexing now. I was trying to originally test it freehand and it was moving in the temporary hole.
**Neons**Bob
That was the problem that set up the ball joints would cause it to go up or down also rather that just forward and back so i roughed the ball joints up and epoxy them .I had great hopes for it when i bought it but they went south fast.lol joe
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,841 Posts
Wing Outer Plugins

2 days work getting them framed. I put 5 degrees washout in the wing plugins. Still have to do the ailerons and servo planning, wing float mounts, and the wing plug sockets. Use of hard woods is extensive. There will be a load of stress on these outside wings. I have also been informed my new foam sheeting is back ordered and no shipping in site. I may have to revert to 3mm foam and epoxy and glass it.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Coming along well Bob,

No Flaps ?
Was inspired by your nice job and came back to the bench, its almost funny jumping around on one foot, have 3 builds getting attention now but your Foam/Wood technique is giving me some ideas for the P5M2 Marlin 80" wing I still have to do.

thanks for sharing
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy