HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:21 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
WOW Bob your moving right along with this project, If you keep this up you may have it ready for the show the club is working on. Can't wait to see this one, Are you going to use foam for the wings or build them up also, Might be lighter built up but a little more rugged with the foam cores. This is going to be a show stopper at the float fly's too.

Bruce
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:28 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Hi Bruce,
Thanks. It will be a combo wing built up. The wing ribs will be 5mm Z-fold or maybe depron. The perimeter of alll the the wings and tails will be wood. The center wing with 4 motors will be wood sheet up front and Depron 3mm the rest. Carbon Fiber spars. I never know how I am really going to do it untill I get there. So many ways to do things. I should be done maybe in a week on the fuselage.
**Neons** Bob.
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:11 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Hi Gree,
I am happy you point it out as I am not fluent in metrics. i just thought it would be helpful. It is 29 ounces US measure. Lets see if I get it right with my Conversion program. How about 0.822kg. That is what it shows now. I am sorry but I tried. Thanks
**Neons** Bob
Ah I was only playing with you. No offense meant Easy typo to make.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:11 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Access Hatch and Turtleback Skin

Got more done today. Had worked yesterday on a different plane. I got the rear fuselage covered with some explanation for some wondering what I am doing. More text on the pictures. The hatch cover was a toss up for wood or foam. I like the better edge with wood on the seams. So that is what happened there.

I pre-rolled the Depron to help with the layup. It can be done with packing tape on the foam very easily also. Tape will prevent cracking. These parts were Polyurethane glued in place. The glue has a good working time to allow fitting.

The hatch cover stringers are layed over the existing edges on the hull. I use wax paper to help prevent it sticking together. Next is some sanding and to put a deck in the cabin area. I do not care to see a battery looking in the windows. I also have the wing saddles and wing bolt wood to install in place. Oh yes, small angle spray deflectors under the hull before the epoxy/glass work.
*Neons** Bob
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:42 AM
central illinois
Joined Aug 2002
794 Posts
Bob,
always appreciate your detailed explanations - a great learning experience.
david
newcomer is offline Find More Posts by newcomer
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:12 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
David
Thanks I will try to keep some of it "how I did it" through out the build. I do drift away from the plans also.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:01 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Cockpit Area Start

I had a little slacking this weekend on the model. I worked on aligning the Access Hatch lineup and sanding. I have the lineup dowel in and need to put a magnet in also. Then I moved the cockpit perimeter forward 1 inch. The original Mars had the cockpit forward more than the later conversion JRM's.

After getting it were it should be I put a Depron floor in. It is not full depth as the big battery is under it. The sides were closed in and I started working around the dashboard. I guess I will have to put some gauges simulation on the control panel. I also have the throttles to put in too. I am not going to heavily detail the cockpit. Just enough.That is it. The seats were made with 3mm foam next. They are similar to the pictures I have. I use a small amount of hot glue on the foam. It works good and it allows me to move along.

Now I looked at the steering in the pictures. I had nothing around that would look like a steering wheel. I decided to make a pair tonight. I used 1/16" brass tube wrapped around a piece of pipe nipple to shape. Made the Y center and soldered it together. A pair of stanchions from 2 larger tubing sizes were made. The wheels are on axels and spin and settle back in place as the balance is low side.
Maybe I can find 2 plastic people I can make pilots out of with some putty reworking.

**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:13 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
Bob your craftsmanship is truly amazing, I love following your threads, Love to see what you'll come up with next, Maybe this summer I could convince you to get one of your wings out and we could do a little riding this summer between flying, Getting the urge to get out flying again.

Bruce
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:28 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
Holy cow Batman!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:54 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess I could make it a nice interior but there is so few interior cockpit pictures and the other problem is water evironment. I will keep it toned down.

Bruce, I have a ride schedule for this years weekend rides from May to October. Then again I can do my own ride. I am sure I can do some.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:04 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
post a bigger pick of your 5,200 led lighted bike!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:13 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
Holy cow Batman ! that is toooooo Cool
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:29 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Keenan,
You probably will never see that in England. Check the above PDF for magazine articles from early 2000. The later conversion pictures has "Cruisin' 50's" logo.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Got some more cockpit setup done today. Got to get the interior finish paint done then the windows glued in place. I can then tape it up until it is time to finish paint the whole plane.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Mar 06, 2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: 2 more pics