HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Bob when i test fly mine i want to get away from mother earth fast and not play in the water like a bird bath. lol Have a great new maiden Bob. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:55 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Man I must of been sleeping under a rock! How could I of missed THIS thread??

Outstanding work Bob! I was once contemplating on building this Mars myself after my first Ivan Mars build but alas so many models and so little time.....and room.

Sorry for your mishap. Been there myself and almost in the same situation.

Thank you for sharing your build with all us Mars and Ivan fans. Hope to see your Mars in the air soon.

Clear skies,

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,795 Posts
Hi Perry
Thanks for stopping by. Nice to have you here. I am surprised that with a name with Rudder in it you missed this one. It is an alternate way to build planes and I am very satisfied with the Emily build. I went on with the Martin Mars and further improved my building skills. I like the combination of balsa and Depron foam and using Carbon fiber for strength. I also use 0.75oz.glass and epoxy on my skins.. I was able to save more weight with a bigger plane too.

I had all intentions to fly Mars today and the weather cleared late. I can only display or taxi it tomorrow as the club rules will not allow me to fly her until seen actually flying. It is a safety rule in place where there are many spectators at the Waterfly Event we have scheduled. I ran out of time. Hopefully on morning next week I can do it..
*Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Just received the latest issue of "Model Aviation" from the AMA and there's a pictures your Mars on page 136. No mention of it in the article or caption but it was a picture from the BCRCC event on May 18th.
Good job Bob!
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:55 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,795 Posts
Hi Mountain Man,
Thanks for compliment. I also won a Pilots Choice plaque at our recent Float fly. Unfortunatly I still could not fly that day with 15 to 25 mph wind. I have had beautiful weather all this week here and again still can't get to fly the plane. My house is being totally renovated on the outside and I have been stuck here helping to get it done. 6 weeks at it. Maybe 3 days work left. Now storm warnings. I hung all my planes up for now. I am just above sea level here and concerned about flooding.
**Neons** Bob
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
How is going over there? I hope all is well.
Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,795 Posts
Hi Walter.
I am away. I am worried about flooding. Will know tomorrow when i return home in the AM. I am pretty sure my planes are ok. I hang all from my high garage ceiling. I have many days to get all back in place if not damaged. Fingers are crossed here. Sure would like to do some flying soon.
**Neons** Bob
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Hi Walter.
I am away. I am worried about flooding. Will know tomorrow when i return home in the AM. I am pretty sure my planes are ok. I hang all from my high garage ceiling. I have many days to get all back in place if not damaged. Fingers are crossed here. Sure would like to do some flying soon.
**Neons** Bob
Me to bob we are getting 30 to 50 mph winds today but nothing like you guys got. 30 to 50 is almost a normal day here in chicago .lmao. I hope everything is well at your house Bob and iam happy to hear you are well. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,691 Posts
And how did you and get through the hurricane ? ? Hope yur all ok.

Any updates on the Mars?

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,795 Posts
Bart
Thanks for the concern and your thoughts. I did better than expected as the storm came in about 280 miles South of us in the New York and New Jersey areas. Many thousands are now homeless down there. Their homes all destroyed and no power. To make things worse they got 6 inches of snow to delay finding possesions and power. No heat for 2 weeks so far.

I finally got to do some flying today on land. Tomorrow they are going to waterfly some. I can't make it as I have a funeral to attend in Maine. Nothing is connecting properly for me to test my Mars. I have had 6 weeks of my home being renovated also which has nearly stopped all flying for me. Time is now running out with the weather getting cold. I may still get a chance but odds are not good right now for the flight. I am going to be winding up the season and starting my next winter project maybe early Dec.
**Neons** Bob
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:02 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,691 Posts
Hey Bob ,

Good to hear you got trough ok , i hope the power grid and other infrastructure gets in order soon. Did you flew the mars from land ?

I am curious on what you will be building this winter.

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:54 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,795 Posts
Thanks Bart,
Many people are in dire straits and a slow recovery south of here. My Mars is hung up until I can get a good day. If not it will stay there. I need help at the pond with the retrieve boat. So if someone goes to fly there I can go also. As I say, if it is much later I will not go on the colder water for my own safety.
Good Day,
**Neons** Bob
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:45 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,682 Posts
Bob I am proud to announce my first Scratch-built flying boat the Sikorsky S-40 & I wanted to you to know that its your amazing flying boats that inspired me Sir!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Bob I am proud to announce my first Scratch-built flying boat the Sikorsky S-40 & I wanted to you to know that its your amazing flying boats that inspired me Sir!
Chris , Thank you. You have always been an asset in model building yourself. I just do not now how you will find or found time to squeeze one in. You sure pump out a lot of passenger jets. I also envy your nice finishes with stripes and windows details. I have a 5 page set of scale plans from Paul Matt and another set for model builbing by Dave Vaughn. Plenty of pictures also. I do not believe the plans can be posted though due to one drawn in the 70's and may still be sold by plans services. It is a great choice of a model. I would make it a stand off scale with plug in wheels for land flying also with maybe a Williams Bros. motor copy.

As usual I would be using lots of foam wth wood sticks if I made one. I bought some of the new MPS Foam in RC Groups. Nice stuff. I hope they break down someday and make some 2-3mm for sale. It would be nice skins over the ribs.
I'll be watching. I hope you have a build log. Thanks again for the Heads Up.
Cheers.
**Neons** Bob
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:19 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Chris , Thank you. You have always been an asset in model building yourself. I just do not now how you will find or found time to squeeze one in. You sure pump out a lot of passenger jets. I also envy your nice finishes with stripes and windows details. I have a 5 page set of scale plans from Paul Matt and another set for model builbing by Dave Vaughn. Plenty of pictures also. I do not believe the plans can be posted though due to one drawn in the 70's and may still be sold by plans services. It is a great choice of a model. I would make it a stand off scale with plug in wheels for land flying also with maybe a Williams Bros. motor copy.

As usual I would be using lots of foam wth wood sticks if I made one. I bought some of the new MPS Foam in RC Groups. Nice stuff. I hope they break down someday and make some 2-3mm for sale. It would be nice skins over the ribs.
I'll be watching. I hope you have a build log. Thanks again for the Heads Up.
Cheers.
**Neons** Bob
Thankyou Sir!. . .this being my first large sclae seaplane I will probably need you advice & know-how on flying Boats.

Go to the airliner forum Sir. . .that's where the build S-40 thread is.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member