how much is offline Find More Posts by how much
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
You are right. I get involved daily construction with many hours during the cold slow months and things just have a way about blossoming into a new creation. You know, time flies when we are having fun. Building is fun to me as well as flying. I am awstruck when I see all those airliners in your shop like a one man Henry Ford production. I feel the same about your planes. They just keep coming. Nice work by the way.
**Neons** Bob
I second that on demondrivers airliners i cant keep up with all the building he has going on. Iam waiting for bobs videos and i swing in to demondrivers thread to goof off once in a while with them .lol Looking great bob .David i was thinking about your build yesterday ,i have not seen you post in a while. It took me a year and a couple extra months to build mine so iam the last person to try to rush anyone else. I am starting my ivans twin otter very soon and will post a thread when i get most of it framed up .lol BTW you have been to quite lately bob i know you have some big build up your sleeve. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Aug 03, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Hi Guys
I was hoping to get on my planes after the last FunFly. I was pretty well burnt up the last couple of months building. Then I have a passing this past week in the family come along and I have to get through this all. I will say after Mars was done I hung it up. I have an elevator horn adjustment to do before flight. I have been on a flying marathon the past few weeks also to break away. I am almost ready to get some water time in. I have 4 planes to test before the next waterfly in Oct. I will get Mars up soon though. I have to sort things out around here 3 bikes and a classic car on the road to work on also. I just do not seem to have enough time. Or at least it feels that way. Summer just flies on by in the meantime.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Last edited by **neons**; Aug 03, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:35 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,687 Posts
and has it flown yet?

Greets,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Hello Bart
This week I am making the water dash. Enjoyed looking at it for a while. Make or break now. I am ready.
**Neons** Bob
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,687 Posts
Cant wait to see those pictures

I've started a '' little project '' myself too:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1719075&page=5

Greets,

Bart
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:38 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Bart,
I am watching you produce those plans over there in your thread. They are stunning. I could not attempt to do what you are doing there. Someone is going to have a real beauty if they build this along with you. Great work, beyond my talent.
Thanks
**Neons** Bob
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:26 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Well, today was my flight test day and all started to go well. I did some taxiing around to feel the handling of the Mars. I had a littlle extra nose weight in the form of bagged gravel for the initial flight. It was just more than needed just for the test. I set the plane up for a take off in the wind and lifted off and a slight bank to port and landed the plane slightly off. A Howard Hughes type test. I also have a movie clip on my camera.

No problem. The wind was more to the right than I thought. I brought the plane back in and landed her on the shore to wait for a more favorable direct head on wind instead of on my backside. I flew another plane while it waited to go up again. While I was tending equipment I heard a fellow flier land his Piper Cub and taxi in to shore. He came in toward my Mars as I was told and the water rudder on his floats was no longer soldered. Not knowing at the time, he tried to turn the plane it did not respond. The Nitro motor could not be killed and I heard the wrenching bang and crunch.

I could not believe he tore into my plane. I can repair it OK but my flight test envelope now is gone. I need a test flight before next Sunday when we have our 4th Annual Float Fly. The weather is good tomorrow and maybe Saturday after 2 bad days predicted rain. I doubt I can fly it before Sunday and get the bugs out. I think it will only make a static display at the show now. The split rudder also is bent and I do not know if that is OK either. It has prop cuts in it also. Bummer!
**Neons** Bob
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Those dang slimers will get you every time Bob! They have a thing for electric Ivan's designs....
Good to see that the damage wasn't too bad and should be repairable. Still it is frustrating, I am just about finished repairing my Aiglet wing after it was eaten by a club members slimer.
It will be great seeing your Mars in the air once repaired and well worth the wait.
John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Thanks John,
I was thinking about your incedent today with your club members stepping on a plane. The fellow flyer was our Safety Officer. Kind of ironic. Almost comical.

10 17 2012 Martin Mars Water Test (4 min 12 sec)

**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Oct 18, 2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Add Video Link
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:42 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,687 Posts
Hey Bob ,

Luckily the damage is repairable , she''s a magnificent site in the water !!

Hope to see her in the air soon.

Greets,

Bart
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Sorry to see the damage on your bird Bob . I hope it did not mess up any of the control rods for your rudder . She did look great on the water and very big when he put it in the water. Keep us posted on your repairs Bob. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:46 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,570 Posts
She does look really great on the water, and the repairs will only take a short time I'm sure.

Best of luck!
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,791 Posts
Thanks Guys. I got the elevator repaired with new ribs and wood trailing edge. The sheeting is easy as it is Depron 3mm. Tomorrow a light epoxy and .75 glass, sand , and then airbrush blending. It should look great. I may still have a chance Saturday to test fly if the winds do not pick up after the rain coming tomorrow.
**Neons** Bob
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
756 Posts
thats great news Bob.. glad you have it mended so quickly...

we are all routing for you for the test flight....

thats a "test flight" not a "Hughes hop"

David
how much is offline Find More Posts by how much