HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, MA, Norwood
Joined Apr 2009
227 Posts
How are you., I am building a goose (build log in Scale Planes PKGrumman Goose by Sig Pilot)
I just wanted to tell you how blown away I am by your amazing flying boat. What a beautiful rig! Congratulations
SigPilot is offline Find More Posts by SigPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:05 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
SigPilot,
Thank You Sir. I guess it is a hit for many of us. I like the the Grumman Goose and Widgeons also. I just looked over a set of Goose plans in the Vintage Plans thread. I am going to look you up later today. I enjoy watching others build these type planes also. Good Day.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, MA, Norwood
Joined Apr 2009
227 Posts
Neons

Any chance there is some video of this beautiful flying boat flying?
SigPilot is offline Find More Posts by SigPilot
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:41 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
SigPilot,
Here is a pleasant video by Arvid.
Martin Mars Bergen -Low and Slow- (4 min 51 sec)

I believe he uses brushless motors with a motor controlled steering system. He has a wiring system in the forum by Luke.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485
There may be links in there also for more videos from Ivan P's plans. Use the Search feature with keywords.

The model I am making is built differently and is probably one of a kind. It will be around 15lbs and not a floater as the above video. I cannot find another model of the XPB2M 1R anywhere on the internet.. My model has all types of materials and many are just bought locally in hardware stores. It is not the type of model building style the balsa purists like. I built it this way for the fun of it. My ideas are more modern and I prefer the mix of foam , glass, CF, and alternate woods like spruce or pine. It may never have the long life of balsa planes.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,395 Posts
I most have watched that video at least 20 times but i never get tired of it. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:00 AM
low and slow
Norway, Bergen, Straumesvingen
Joined May 2010
82 Posts
Low and slow

Happy to see that you like my video!

The Mars is a delight to fly. Handles really well, and is almost foolproof on landing.

As you mentioned I have brushless power. One ESC in each nacelle and one common 3 cell battery.
I’m using 2 channels for power, one for each wing. I use mixing from rudder via a switch for water steering. All 4 BEC’s are connected in parallel to the receiver without problems.
Total weight with battery is 4,1kg. I tried to add 1kg of “payload” once, and I could hardly notice any change, so I think you should be ok with your 15lbs (6.8kg). Flying speed will be a bit higher though.

I’m looking forward to see a video of it! Good luck!

Arvid
SASflyer is offline Find More Posts by SASflyer
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:17 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
Hello Arvid,
Yes, I like the way your plane fles. It is like watching a pretty waterbird swooping down and skimming the water and return to the air. Almost hypnotic. It is a type of plane and video I can watch over and over again and not tire of it.

I found your wiring diagram and saved it. I wish I found it last year. I researched the internet and groups to find some type of 4 engine diagram with no luck so I just made my own. I have just finished my wiring and servos installation this week. I have to bind the reciever and work on the motoors to make sure it is runninng well and no vibrations. I still have some aurbrushing and a soft flat clear coat to do and the plane is done. Flight testing and videos are not to far away. Thanks.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:20 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
Had a busy day and a half trying to work with all my electronics setup. I pretty well got all the controls and the motors all running pretty good. This is the first time I used capacitors in the motor nacelles. It was strange as capacitors store energy. After I pulled the safety plug and disconected the battery it still had enough power in the capacitors to run all the motors for a good bhrst and taper off for 3 seconds and all the controls worked. Now that is with the battery pulled. The power slowly faded away. This should be good to prevent voltage spikes to the ESC's. I only put in two sets of capacitors in the outer motors as they were the furthest away from the main battery.

I think she can fly with the setup now. I have to order some more vacu-form dummy radial motors to finish the cowlings. I still have some panel airbrush and motor oilstreaks to paint and it is finished. Other activities have taken me away from doing work on the plane.
**Neons**Bob
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:15 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASflyer View Post

The Mars is a delight to fly. Handles really well, and is almost foolproof on landing.

As you mentioned I have brushless power. One ESC in each nacelle and one common 3 cell battery.
I’m using 2 channels for power, one for each wing. I use mixing from rudder via a switch for water steering. All 4 BEC’s are connected in parallel to the receiver without problems.
Total weight with battery is 4,1kg. I tried to add 1kg of “payload” once, and I could hardly notice any change, so I think you should be ok with your 15lbs (6.8kg). Flying speed will be a bit higher though.

Arvid
As a package, (setting, subject, airmanship, cinematography, & background music), that has to be the finest of all videos!
As a high-school student, in the late 1940s, I had the priviledge of witnessing the Martin Mars (all finished in U.S. Navy deep-sea blue), as they operated at their eastern terminus, Alameda Naval Air Station, on their trans-Pacific mail run.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Last edited by Lancer31; Jun 15, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:05 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
Fantastic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASflyer View Post

Arvid
Hello Arvid:

I have to say your Mars flight is fantastci. I believe the best RC video I have ever seen. Absolutely smooth flight and your camera person was just as perfect, smooth tracking and centering, all professional quality.

I had the pleasure of visiting Bergen in the late 50's and truly relate to your flying site.

Thank you very much,

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
I ran my motors at different speeds today. She revs up with nice thrust. Boy! What a nice synchronized harmonic tone It will sound nice in flight. Just like music.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,395 Posts
Test flying soon neons ? joe
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
I hope by the end of the month will be soon enough to fly. I will video with my helmet cam. I balanced all the props and I got all the underside of the wing panels airbrushed today also. I like it. I did not like the all white bottom. It was very bright and had no charector.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,395 Posts
Should have put a harley sticker under the wings .lmao joe
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
6-21-2012 Mars Motors Runnup

Got more painting done. Doing panel lines is a lot of work. I really enjoyed the challenge. Painting is the best part for me. So after I finished all the shading with my airbrush I stuck it together for a motor run demo and paint photo shoot out in the yard. The motors ran very well. I only ran them on 1 - 4S 5000Mah battery. I did not check the charge on it. There will be 2 of these to get her in CG balance. They weigh about 1lb each.

I just have a few things to add. Tail registration numbers. The top hatch has a radar antenna and a range finder. I need it also to lift te hatch off. The stbd. radial motors are on order yet. I have to trim the ailerons yet. Spray the bottomside with a white oversprayh to soften the panel lines. I forgot to do the airbrushing on the floats also. Very close to finished. It can fly now when these are done. Then video time.
**Neons**Bob

6-21-12 Martin Mars XPB2M-1R 1943- Motor Test Runl.wmv (2 min 9 sec)

Last edited by **neons**; Jun 22, 2012 at 09:10 AM.